Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
There's a hypothesis floating around that Yiffy is, in fact, a dog, which is about the only thing that can salvage this for me, even IF it carries the implication that Rose gave birth to a loving dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yiffy is in fact former Goonfleet Fleet Marshal

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sailor Dave posted:

naming a kid "Yiffany Longstocking" when one of her moms is a dog girl

holy poo poo lol

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thank jegus one of the characters finally remembered that they are literally a god and guns stopped mattering back in the Intermission.

Also trolls don't care about monogamy or childbirth so Kanaya no-selling this makes sense. What doesn't is keeping it a secret. The only thing I can think of is if theres something odd about her or they were scared of Jane finding out about her.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think all the weirdness is from them wanting 4 teens in the candy timeline but the epilogue writing not providing any opportunity for that so they just cracked out the secret child justification.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Thank jegus one of the characters finally remembered that they are literally a god and guns stopped mattering back in the Intermission.

Also trolls don't care about monogamy or childbirth so Kanaya no-selling this makes sense. What doesn't is keeping it a secret. The only thing I can think of is if theres something odd about her or they were scared of Jane finding out about her.

Honestly, between the epilogues and Pesterquest, it's been so long I sorta forgot they could do that until Vriska reminded me.
So that was a really cool moment, at least.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So anyway this revelation explains how Rose could breast feed Vriska in the Candy epilogue.

That was a mystery you probably didn't need solved, but it got solved anyway so there you go.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

The implication is also that for 15 years Yiffy was left out of family gatherings from both of her mothers, including Jade's wedding, solely because they were too embarrassed by the name

Yeah this fuckin' sucks and I absolutely stand by my Armin Tamzarian comparison.
How about the implications of a scene where a woman is distressed about having a penis and her inability to have children because of it, and she has to air these feelings in front of her friends, family, and Vriska, while two characters can barely hold in their laughter. And like you said, they even give the kid a dumb joke name.

It’s complete garbage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Sailor Dave posted:

Even as stupid and meaningless as the Candy timeline is, naming a kid "Yiffany Longstocking" when one of her moms is a dog girl sounds horribly shortsighted and ripe for abuse. It's kind of mean, coming from Jade? She wanted a daughter so bad, but couldn't help but make it an ironic furry sex joke. That girl has to live with a name like that.

A lot of the exposition around this read to me like "Jade has a secret daughter with Rose named 'Yiffany Longstocking'" came down from Hussman as some kind of mandate and the rest of the writing team felt as awkward executing it as we felt reading it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bilirubin posted:

OKok like 6 pages in so far and I'm delighted to see the pony friends book referenced

Oh man who has the link to the full version of this some fan did, definitely the best fan content for a work of media ever produced.

edit: https://archiveofourown.org/works/2427119/chapters/5371283

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Given the impossibility of secretly raising a child, as opposed to secretly bearing one, I have to wonder if time shenanigans are involved. Like, Rose is already a full-time mother and revolutionary, and Jade was living with two people who would have noticed a child around the house.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Yiffany

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
who would have thought that homestuck would turn out weird and bad?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

Clearly the Hussie work that deserved a sequel was Humanimals.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Problem 2th

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

Anyone who read it?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyone who read it?

:hmmyes:

Pants Donkey posted:

Clearly the Hussie work that deserved a sequel was Humanimals.

I really doubt that Hussie has much of a hand in this, he's too busy writing the next Tingler.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I liked homestuck until act 6, so this is all very validating

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm taking a little break from Homestuck, so I'm only getting updates of what's happening 2nd-hand from this thread, and it's a wild ride.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Come on, this a mexican soap level twist right there.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Come on, this a mexican soap level twist right there.

I think it would more accurately be called a fanfiction level twist, because Homestuck is written by fans now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Once again, people are forgetting that Homestuck has literally always been like this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

I think it would more accurately be called a fanfiction level twist, because Homestuck is written by fans now.

I mean, it's stuff like having a secret evil twin brother all along or someone coming back from the dead with amnesia.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Once again, people are forgetting that Homestuck has literally always been like this.

I think there's a pretty big difference between weird game poo poo shenanigans and trolling/shitposting with kids, compared to the adult soap opera drama that homestuck has transitioned into. I found the first part a lot more endearing than whatever this is now.

Kalium
Sep 15, 2018
It does occur to me that the ridiculous name is probably just them playing the "Zoosmell Pooplord" gag but without intervening and switching to an Ordinary Name.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sailor Dave posted:

I think there's a pretty big difference between weird game poo poo shenanigans and trolling/shitposting with kids, compared to the adult soap opera drama that homestuck has transitioned into. I found the first part a lot more endearing than whatever this is now.

One of the first things that happened in Homestuck was a thirteen-year-old boy being dropped into a pile of sexual muppets by his abusive adult guardian and trying desperately to pretend he liked it.

I don't think this is really that far off. It's possible that you're remembering early Homestuck as more "endearing" and less ridiculous bullshit than it actually was.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

One of the first things that happened in Homestuck was a thirteen-year-old boy being dropped into a pile of sexual muppets by his abusive adult guardian and trying desperately to pretend he liked it.

I don't think this is really that far off. It's possible that you're remembering early Homestuck as more "endearing" and less ridiculous bullshit than it actually was.

yeah but the abuse part wasn't treated remotely seriously for a while, the smuppets were just loving weird and not mined for drama

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jen X posted:

yeah but the abuse part wasn't treated remotely seriously for a while, the smuppets were just loving weird and not mined for drama

I mean, drama's been going on for years; things that are loving weird have been going on for years. I'm not sure what's new except that now the characters are adults and the fact that they're still living their lives around this weird irony oneupmanship when they should have better things to do is now an explicit part of the comedy.

But yeah, I do sort of feel a difference... I guess that's kind of part of the Candy ambience? It's like "this is a story where 'Jade and Rose have a secret daughter' is the premise, and okay, there's no way that could happen, but that's the premise so they did."

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hahhaahah this comics loving crazy man I love it

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the issue is not that Homestuck is getting weirder or anything like that, but that it started weird, then gradually turned into melodrama, and is now trying to sneak back to weird.

All the parents lacking facial features because the kids can't empathize with them is weird. Bro's whole deal is weird. Jade being raised on alone on island by a dog is weird. The whole ectobiology mobius strip of procreation is very weird. But we accepted these things, because the comic was new and there were no set rules. By mid-act-6, all the rules has been 'set', and now it was more about playing out the results, or analyzing the original acts from this new perspective.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

I really doubt that Hussie has much of a hand in this, he's too busy writing the next Tingler.

One of the writers stated on twitter that this was a non-negotiable mandate from Hussie. He absolutely orchestrated Yiffany Longstocking.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Nephthys posted:

One of the writers stated on twitter that this was a non-negotiable mandate from Hussie. He absolutely orchestrated Yiffany Longstocking.

hussie dipping in to say something dumb and them all running with it lol

hahahah he's a modern day George Lucas isn't he

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Fanwriters: This is a very serious story about how Rose has acted as a surrogate for Jade, and the challenges that Jade's biology has-

Hussie: call the kid yiffany longstocking

Fanwriters: Y-yes sir....

ZorpZuppins
Nov 8, 2012
valid complaints notwithstanding, i predict that in one hundred pages yiffany longstocking will be everyone's favorite character

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ZorpZuppins posted:

valid complaints notwithstanding, i predict that in one hundred pages yiffany longstocking will be everyone's favorite character

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Once Vriska finishes renaming all four kids, they'll become the new favorite characters as a group.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, yeah, we're all going to love Yiffy once we meet her. It's inevitable.

I still think this is a real bad piece of writing though. It's clunky, weird, and stupid. Homestuck is often weird and stupid (in great and endearing ways), but usually not clunky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ZorpZuppins posted:

I call this Equius level 2.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Personally, I already love Yiffany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Apparently this was in the works as far back as December of 2018. And was definitely Hussie's idea. So we can't really pin this on fan writers.

Anyway, everything before the Yiffy reveal is dynamite.