Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No, thing matters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

imo Insomniac and Sony Santa Monica wrestled the crown from Naughty Dog's gnarled fingers 2 years back when they did Spider-Man/God of War, two great adventure games with great stories that were fun to play and replay, had their share of down moments but ultimately had nice upswings and potential for cool followups. I think Sony in particular realized Insomniac took a huge leap forward with their work and that's why they acquired them---Spider-man is basically their new Uncharted. Ironically Insomniac now works in the same building as Naughty Dog.

Wulf
May 8, 2008
Probably should have left the characters from the previous game alone, outside a cameo or two.

Maybe something hamfisted about the FEMA knockoff and whatever they are planning to do next.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DLC Inc posted:

imo Insomniac and Sony Santa Monica wrestled the crown from Naughty Dog's gnarled fingers 2 years back when they did Spider-Man/God of War, two great adventure games with great stories that were fun to play and replay, had their share of down moments but ultimately had nice upswings and potential for cool followups. I think Sony in particular realized Insomniac took a huge leap forward with their work and that's why they acquired them---Spider-man is basically their new Uncharted. Ironically Insomniac now works in the same building as Naughty Dog.

Insomniac and Naughty Dog have worked in the same building for a ridiculously long time actually. The studios had a close relationship even before ND was acquired by Sony. Though I'm not sure that's true anymore with ND's exodus.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Insomniac and Naughty Dog have worked in the same building for a ridiculously long time actually. The studios had a close relationship even before ND was acquired by Sony. Though I'm not sure that's true anymore with ND's exodus.

They worked close by in the Universal backlot back in the PS1 days, but ND managed to get themselves bought out by Sony at the start of the PS2 era and Insomniac went their own way and remained independent, while closely working with Sony on various properties until recently when they too got bought out. They were close in the PS2 days too but I'm pretty sure that relationship died out in the PS3 era, especially with the original founders of Naughty Dog leaving and new blood largely taking over. That said, they never shared a building or anything. They were just neighbors when they both worked for Universal.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm genuinely curious what the moral and ethical "message" of the game will be.

Surely, it must be more than "The game is about hate." *15 hours later* "Hate is bad."

This is my main beef with it outside of the hey look how pro LGBT we are the marketing has been it's so lazy and we've heard that particularly lazy take a shitload of times

I really hope people just keep agitating because the games development market in particular has been hosed for a long time . How much you want to bet the writing team is like 3 people like GoT and Mass Effect were?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, the main twist or whatever you wanna call it has actually made me think I might not like this. It's real hard to imagine it done well..

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Peacoffee posted:

But really it's not that, it's when he said the poo poo about the next game being about "Hate"

I was like "wuh oh"

I’d rather play Hatred than this, lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nah, Hatred sucks start to finish and is made by actual nazi lovers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also a hearty lol to anyone unironically saying Abby is unrealistically buff

Just lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doc M posted:

I fully expect TLOU2 to win several awards for Best Writing as reviewers fall over each other to praise the deep, thought-provoking storyline and Naughty Dog's brave decision to go ahead with a story they knew would be controversial among their fans.

In a brief defense of video game critics, the only place I really see "millions of people hate this, therefore by definition it must be good" broadly applied as a critical lens is on the Something Awful forums.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, at least the "Dina gets fridged" spoiler was fake...?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

How much you want to bet the writing team is like 3 people like GoT and Mass Effect were?
Snip, this was dumb. I should do research.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 28, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It's even worse when games admonish you for doing things you're given 0 actual agency over (besides turning off your monitor). I'm thinking specifically of Spec Ops: The Line here, I'd sure prefer not to drop those phosphorous bombs on innocent people but uuhh you're not giving me any other choice here to progress the story so I guess I'll just get a refund? Was that the point of your game? Who knows.

i mean the point in spec ops the line is literally to say to the player "stop playing" thats the option youre given

v weird people trying to retroactively say spec ops was bad now too???? like its cool if you dont like stuff thats pretty miserable but that doesnt make it bad, it was really well done.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stux posted:

v weird people trying to retroactively say spec ops was bad now too???? like its cool if you dont like stuff thats pretty miserable but that doesnt make it bad, it was really well done.

Really well done is giving it too much credit. It is good, but as a piece of subversive media, it only stands out because the bar in video games is so loving low.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Skippy McPants posted:

Really well done is giving it too much credit. It is good, but as a piece of subversive media, it only stands out because the bar in video games is so loving low.

The Leaks of Us 2: Endless Fart Huffing About How Games Suck poo poo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Stux posted:

Weird people trying to retroactively say spec ops was bad now too????

A lot of people always said it was 'bad' or whatever else and got into a big deal over the game, that's why it got so much of the talk around it in the first place back then.

I still think the game would've done better with a "You saw those first guys, then you turned around and walked away and the game ends with Walker having done his job, confirming survivors and coming back" hidden ending though, "HEH, THE OPTION IS TO STOP PLAYING (This originally full retail price game)" has always felt like a really lame stretch.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 28, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Skippy McPants posted:

agreed its nothing like movies a far better art form, i particularly like the themes and messaging in marvéls seminal work "ant man and the wasp"

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

precision posted:

Also a hearty lol to anyone unironically saying Abby is unrealistically buff

Just lol

She is, though? For a post-apocalypse anyway. If TLOU2 was set in our current modern world then yeah, it wouldn't really be too strange since Abby is actually modeled off of a real-life bodybuilder. But having and maintaining that kind of body requires a very strict training regimen and dietary control, including a massive amount of protein and the use of supplements. Which is something that isn't really believable for a person in the post-apocalypse to achieve. You don't get massively ripped people in that sort of scenario, you'd get physically fit if likely malnutrition stricken survivors with low body fat and a fair amount of muscle (probably more in the core muscles and legs than arms), but not nearly as much as Abby has since that requires a lot of weight training.

It's just an odd choice for Naughty Dog, really, more so than an actual complaint since it's just a game and god knows there's plenty of unrealistic body types in video games and it ultimately doesn't matter, but it's kind of weird how people turn the conversation around as if people were saying highly muscular women don't exist, period. It's noticeable since most of the people in TLOU are pretty much in line with what people would likely look like in the kind of situation they live in, but Abby is an obvious outlier.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

agreed its nothing like movies a far better art form, i particularly like the themes and messaging in marvéls seminal work "ant man and the wasp"

I mean tbf a lot of Gamers in this very thread are still grappling with the concept that a protagonist has to be a good guy

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ruflux posted:

She is, though? For a post-apocalypse anyway. If TLOU2 was set in our current modern world then yeah, it wouldn't really be too strange since Abby is actually modeled off of a real-life bodybuilder. But having and maintaining that kind of body requires a very strict training regimen and dietary control, including a massive amount of protein and the use of supplements. Which is something that isn't really believable for a person in the post-apocalypse to achieve. You don't get massively ripped people in that sort of scenario, you'd get physically fit if likely malnutrition stricken survivors with low body fat and a fair amount of muscle (probably more in the core muscles and legs than arms), but not nearly as much as Abby has since that requires a lot of weight training.

This is such a weird hill to die on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Lats of Us

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ruflux posted:

It's just an odd choice for Naughty Dog, really, more so than an actual complaint since it's just a game and god knows there's plenty of unrealistic body types in video games and it ultimately doesn't matter, but it's kind of weird how people turn the conversation around as if people were saying highly muscular women don't exist, period. It's noticeable since most of the people in TLOU are pretty much in line with what people would likely look like in the kind of situation they live in, but Abby is an obvious outlier.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

drat those are pretty realistic

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
me to the poster dying on the hill of "woman cant be buff in zombie game": walk away. just walk away.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Stux posted:

me to the poster dying on the hill of "woman cant be buff in zombie game": walk away. just walk away.

everything he said is correct

also mad max and tlou are obviously quite different settings

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

am0kgonzo posted:

I think the main point is all y'alls are really undermining the message of "wow this writing is terrible" by following it up with "i'm a huge whiner who will complain about anything and i'm going to focus far too much energy on WHY LADY BUFF???"

If the game really sucks you shouldn't need to grasp at stupid little straws like this, and yet here we are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, Mad Max is more realistic

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

am0kgonzo posted:

yeah one is about oil induced crisis and wars leading to a post-apocalyptic setting, which in the film specifically takes place in the australian desert, a place that is entirely barren and unfit to sustain the amount of food resources required for multiple different body builders to exist, and the other is about the cordyceps fungus spreading to humans creating zombies that click at you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

am0kgonzo posted:

yeah, one is about fantasy zombies and one has no fantasy zombies

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
This thread owns

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I think the main point is all y'alls are really undermining the message of "wow this writing is terrible" by following it up with "i'm a huge whiner who will complain about anything and i'm going to focus far too much energy on WHY LADY BUFF???"

If the game really sucks you shouldn't need to grasp at stupid little straws like this, and yet here we are.

I don't think the game will suck, at the very least I'll probably enjoy the combat, don't know if the story/structure will work for me and I have no idea if the writing is terrible because I haven't actually played the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

getting to play as a jacked buff lady is about the only positive I've heard about this game so far

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

am0kgonzo posted:

Sure but it also applies to, like, Joel, who is pretty big and buff himself. Joel's not exactly a skinny, malnourished-looking dude at any point.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just hope the game has Abby working out to The Best Around while drinking Fight Milk in a montage flashback

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

abby has figured out the one trick nutritionists hate

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

I mean tbf a lot of Gamers in this very thread are still grappling with the concept that a protagonist has to be a good guy

Not really, a lot of the time evil protagonists just suck and aren't actually compelling or cool or fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Sure but it also applies to, like, Joel, who is pretty big and buff himself. Joel's not exactly a skinny, malnourished-looking dude at any point.

Joel is nourished by thread wars about the ending of TLOU, which unfortunately doesn't compare to the reckoning Abby will bring on him fueled by the wars about her biceps

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Stux posted:

i mean the point in spec ops the line is literally to say to the player "stop playing" thats the option youre given

To be honest with you I never liked Spec Ops to begin with so it's not like I had a change of heart on that topic. And the "generic shooter" presentation was likely intentional but I don't think it was particularly interesting or well done either.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out which group offers the best gym membership between the Fireflies and Tommy's town right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
I can't play TLOU because I can't get past the lack of tooth decay. Like, none of these people have access to a dentist, yet Joel has a perfect smile. Totally ruins my immersion.