Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Found this funny bit on an old dead blog:

"Hilariously, not only is our friend Patrick Rothfuss a fan of The Way of Kings (“I loved this book. What else is there to say?” is his uncharacteristically brief testimonial on the first page) but he and Sanderson actually had an Amazon-hosted discussion about editing, quoted here on the Amazon page for The Wise Man’s Fear. Both claim to have spent ages cutting extraneous scenes, phrases, and dialogue. Rothfuss does admit to having had no plan at the outset, which explains more than it doesn’t. Sanderson says that he rarely cuts whole scenes, which, uh, also makes sense."

This comes with the clarifier that Sanderson is definitely better:

"Don’t get me wrong: Sanderson’s better than Rothfuss. His prose is less poetic, but considering Rothfuss’ “poetry” that’s a plus; he has the good sense to go for third person when he has a big story to tell. And, most importantly, he does have one. Things are happening in The Way of Kings. The world feels as expansive as the map proclaims. It doesn’t have the juvenile problem afflicting the Kingkiller Chronicle, where nothing that doesn’t serve to make the protagonist better at something seems to matter."

But also, " A good rule of thumb–especially in #1 of a series–is to try and describe a major tenet of the plot or the world and see if anyone who hasn’t read the book would have the foggiest idea what you meant. Like, “The Alethi lighteyes kill chasmfiends for their gemhearts so, infused with Stormlight after a highstorm, they can be used in a Soulcaster.”"

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
lol @ rothfuss on "editing"

the same guy who allowed a handful of people at a creative writing panel to 'edit' his prose but insisted there could be no word, grammar, syntax, or style criticisms because he had worked it to perfection and they could only comment on the ideas.

BananaNutkins posted:

At a convention, I met Kvothfuss and heard him speak. He mentioned that he has "literally" hundreds of beta readers, but he had a rule for offering feedback, and the rule is thus: Don't offer advice on the sentence or paragraph level. That's his wheelhouse. He's spent "literally" hundreds of hours pouring over every line so the read goes smoothly "like water rushing over river stones".

Messing with his prose, he said, was a "slapping offense" and a quick way to get you dropped from his exclusive circle of readers.

Then he read articles from his blog and the crappy school newspaper he wrote for for eight years.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 28, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Raiad posted:

I wonder if it bothers him that he no longer has anything to do other than write, and thus has no excuse not to finish his book

jk i know it doesn't

Stop loving asking when the book will be out ok? I shouldn't have to deal with this

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Man orders a pizza. Tells pizza delivery guy he has writer's block. Pizza delivery guy says, "Treatment is simple. Greatest book ever written is The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Read it, you'll get inspiration." Man bursts into tears: "But pizza delivery guy... I am Patrick Rothfuss."

:lol:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ccs posted:

But also, " A good rule of thumb–especially in #1 of a series–is to try and describe a major tenet of the plot or the world and see if anyone who hasn’t read the book would have the foggiest idea what you meant. Like, “The Alethi lighteyes kill chasmfiends for their gemhearts so, infused with Stormlight after a highstorm, they can be used in a Soulcaster.”"

to be fair you should also try to do it without using the book's proper nouns otherwise you're being disingenuous

nobles hunt monsters for an organ that can be used as a magic battery for their magic 3d printers

EDIT: general you, i know that's a quote

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Patware posted:

to be fair you should also try to do it without using the book's proper nouns otherwise you're being disingenuous

nobles hunt monsters for an organ that can be used as a magic battery for their magic 3d printers

EDIT: general you, i know that's a quote

Not gonna lie, read the first two books and honestly wasn't 100% sure that's what gemhearts were.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PJOmega posted:

Not gonna lie, read the first two books and honestly wasn't 100% sure that's what gemhearts were.

But there are multiple scenes of characters cutting the gemhearts out of chasmfiends though. I think the one hunt scene even mentioned Dalinar or someone cutting in to the chasmfiend's chest to get its gemheart.

Suxpool posted:

but what if he DOES finish it?

The mods unban Bravest of the Lamps, but with the caveat that BotL is only allowed to post in this thread with a page-by-page review of the book.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm trying, with great difficulty, to imagine willingly reading Brandon Sanderson.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Botl had some really insightful critique of the books in the old thread. It’s funny going back to that and seeing people still praising the books. Everyone was very enamoured with the rhythm Rothfuss wrote with.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

But there are multiple scenes of characters cutting the gemhearts out of chasmfiends though. I think the one hunt scene even mentioned Dalinar or someone cutting in to the chasmfiend's chest to get its gemheart.

Right, I knew the chasm fiends held gemhearts but for whatever reason didn't connect the gemhearts to the soul currency chits or whatnot.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm trying, with great difficulty, to imagine willingly reading Brandon Sanderson.

Man if you're struggling with that, you may have a learning disability. You should get that checked.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Daric posted:

Man if you're struggling with that, you may have a learning disability. You should get that checked.

Both of these posts are bad.

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Both of these posts are bad.

Is the first one bad because it's so obviously true that it's not even worth saying or posting about?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sanderson's not the godlike master of fantasy some people act like he is but if you think he should be in the same breath as the likes of rothfuss you gotta unclench

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sanderson is dull but he's not viscerally offensive.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Patware posted:

sanderson's not the godlike master of fantasy some people act like he is but if you think he should be in the same breath as the likes of rothfuss you gotta unclench

I think Sanderson is by far the worst thing to happen to the Fantasy genre since Piers Anthony. He's at best aggressively mediocre, with an unnuanced grasp of characterization and his prose skills are on par with JK Rowlings. Why learn two words when one word will do every time?

On top of that, he's popular, in part because he is prolific (it's easy to write a lot if you don't give a poo poo what you write and don't edit) so in addition to his offensively bad work, he's promulgating ideas about fantasy and writing that aren't just wrong, they're literally the opposite of right.

Trump's narcissism and incompetence didn't really matter until he became President; Sanderon's sought mediocrity was bearable until he sucked off Robert Jordan metaphorically in a eulogy (because of course, he would never in real life, it would be a violation of his special underwear tenants) which catapulted him to undeserved fame and a platform he ought never to have had.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Trump's narcissism and incompetence didn't really matter until he became President; Sanderon's sought mediocrity was bearable until he sucked off Robert Jordan metaphorically in a eulogy (because of course, he would never in real life, it would be a violation of his special underwear tenants) which catapulted him to undeserved fame and a platform he ought never to have had.

lmao

the lmao is not with you

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My underwear tenants are special, hell yeah. e: sorry that was meant to be Rothfuss' line in this story:

pseudanonymous posted:

Also the pizza delivery guy actually turned out to be a girl, just a tomboy type one, but she took off her hat and it was like that movie that was a ripoff of Shakespeare, and she could tell just by looking at Rothfuss he was a sex haver, and that means she wanted to have sex with him, not that she was a slut or anything, because he's absolutely not a misogynist, and that's why he has to bring up that he's a feminist so often.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 29, 2020

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Source your quotes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

I think Sanderson is by far the worst thing to happen to the Fantasy genre since Piers Anthony. He's at best aggressively mediocre, with an unnuanced grasp of characterization and his prose skills are on par with JK Rowlings. Why learn two words when one word will do every time?

On top of that, he's popular, in part because he is prolific (it's easy to write a lot if you don't give a poo poo what you write and don't edit) so in addition to his offensively bad work, he's promulgating ideas about fantasy and writing that aren't just wrong, they're literally the opposite of right.

Imagine being insane enough to unironically believe this.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Is the first one bad because it's so obviously true that it's not even worth saying or posting about?

Lol, but it's bad because it's just a drive-by with no discussion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in a storm, a night with no moon, and the prose of JK Rowling.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

sure enough; unclench

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

No you shut the gently caress up Sanderson.

You're writing fantasy wrong

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pseudanonymous posted:

Tenets, unless you're referring to his genitalia.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Sanderson is dull but he's not viscerally offensive.

I find dullness to be viscerally offensive in fantasy tbh. At least something truly bad can still be amusing in a Troll 2 sort of way.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Americans are so terrible at writing that Sanderson can't really do that much damage. At least Sanderson knows how to construct a sentence, Rothfuss can't even do that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

HIJK posted:

Americans are so terrible at writing that Sanderson can't really do that much damage. At least Sanderson knows how to construct a sentence, Rothfuss can't even do that.

I want to disagree with this but I can't because your right.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I checked GRRM's blog and while half of it is about football, he does have a status from less than a month ago about how he's working on the next book. I would actually excuse GRRM more for not finishing his series, since the story has been told (badly) in another form and he's had a long career as a writer. But it's good to know he's still plugging away.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The next book is actually an in depth look at the history of the different fashion styles of the seven kingdoms.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

I checked GRRM's blog and while half of it is about football, he does have a status from less than a month ago about how he's working on the next book. I would actually excuse GRRM more for not finishing his series, since the story has been told (badly) in another form and he's had a long career as a writer. But it's good to know he's still plugging away.

I think if you collated all his blog posts about all his "plugging away" the word count would be equal to a book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He's actually been working on it longer than he did A Dance with Dragons and this time he doesn't have the Mereenese Knot to blame.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He should have committed to the time jump

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Now I'm imagining GRRM and Rothfuss collaborating. Thanks for that.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

The next book is actually an in depth look at the history of the different fashion styles of the seven kingdoms.

You jest, but I would absolutely be into that if it had pictures.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

collaborating with From Software on their next game is already a better use of his time than any ASoIaF sequel could ever be

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

eXXon posted:

Now I'm imagining GRRM and Rothfuss collaborating. Thanks for that.

you wouldn't need to worry about them releasing a story before the heat death of the universe, though

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Rothfuss is feeling a little salty.

staguar
Aug 29, 2004

That's a lot of Cheerios boxes

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Stuffed animals and disorganized Cheerios boxes as decoration is abjectly terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

staguar posted:

That's a lot of Cheerios boxes

I'm not judging him for living in a disorganized mess. Whatever, you do you. I will judge him for choosing to broadcast that. Setting up a podcast nook isn't hard. Hang a sheet or something jfc.