Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've decided that (Android) smart watches seem to all suck rear end and even if one worked like I'd prefer I kinda don't want all that going on with my watch.

Any thread recommendations for a great digital watch that isn't a smartwatch? I work in healthcare and would be using it basically only at work as I wear other watches outside of work that I don't want to beat up or get covered in human fluids.

I'm looking at the G-Shock offerings but wouldn't mind something a little smaller. I'm aware of the classic casio and I'm not super into it. I don't need to set an alarm or have multiple time zones but would just like something that isn't boring and is well made. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a watches thread in YLLS, but they're probably just going to direct you to a G-Shock. If you got some cash, you can get an Omega Speedmaster Skywalker X-33.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

There's a watches thread in YLLS, but they're probably just going to direct you to a G-Shock. If you got some cash, you can get an Omega Speedmaster Skywalker X-33.

Thank you - I'll take a look in that thread as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hooah posted:

Also looking for a recommendation. The year-old replacement battery on my second-gen Moto 360 is starting to die by mid-evening, and I don't really feel like replacing it again.

I'd like something that looks like a normal dress watch, does notifications, and had at least some level of face customization. I don't care about any fitness/heart tracking.

Currently using the Mi Band 4 with this band from eBay. I turn off the sleep tracking and heartbeat tracking and have been getting 2-3 weeks before I need to recharge. The only downside for me is that there's no faces that can display the weather directly on the face, but plenty of customization for looks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Silly Burrito posted:

Currently using the Mi Band 4 with this band from eBay. I turn off the sleep tracking and heartbeat tracking and have been getting 2-3 weeks before I need to recharge. The only downside for me is that there's no faces that can display the weather directly on the face, but plenty of customization for looks.

Yeah, that... doesn't look like a normal watch.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
Does anyone like any of the smart glass type solutions going around? I have been thinking about trying to play with a glass type setup

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why did my Garmin Vivoactive 3 give me roughly the same amount of calories burned for a 5 mile walk yesterday and a 5 mile run today?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

They burn roughly the same amount, 100 calories per mile as a very rough guide depending on weight.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So running is a waste of time?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

If your goal is calorie burning, it's hard to get a lot more calories from running vs a good walking speed.

It's not really a function of distance, it's a function of time spent exerting yourself. Walking 5 miles will take a lot longer than running 5 miles.

Running will burn something like 13 calories per minute and walking will do something like 8...but it all depends on what your running and walking exertion levels are and your general fitness level.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Running for improving cardiovascular fitness.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Double edit: Finally stumbled.upon a video that answered my question. Garmin app allows me to further create generic text messages I can send from the watch.
Still looking at a vivoactive 4

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 26, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I stick my phone in this totally-not-a-fanny-pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BQNTL0/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_6fslEb9TSTTSA

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The same way that videogames can catch a second wind in the form of discounts, patches, and ultimate editions with all the paid updates included, smartwatches could use an asterisk at the end of their reviews acknowledging firmware updates and dramatic price drops.

"Ehh it's a little better than average" takes on a whole new shine under the condition of "improved features and at half price."

Why yes, the Amazfit GTR is calling out to me, why do you ask?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For a month or two, I've been asked to log into my Fitbit app every few days, maybe going 1.5 weeks at most. Before that, I never had to log in. Anyone else having this issue?

Running Android 10 on a Pixel 2.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats all this now?
https://www.timex.ca/browse/smart/timex-ironman-r300-gps/

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Well gently caress me, my extended indecision looks to have paid off handsomely!
Can't wait to see some time-tested reviews, but the initial impressions have me holding my breath.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Lol, remember that time I tried a Fitbit Versa and returned it? Well, my friend got one and the screen has started popping off.

Just like this:

https://i.imgur.com/kaLI3gC.gifv

What a poo poo brand.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Speaking of the Versa...

Wife used to have problems with her Versa maintaining connection with her Pixel. Twice a week she'd have to follow half a dozen steps to reset the connection or whatever.

Yesterday she mentioned she hasn't had to do anything to it in several months...it's just worked fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Speaking of the Versa...

Wife used to have problems with her Versa maintaining connection with her Pixel. Twice a week she'd have to follow half a dozen steps to reset the connection or whatever.

Yesterday she mentioned she hasn't had to do anything to it in several months...it's just worked fine.

Does it at least count the steps towards the daily total

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Does it at least count the steps towards the daily total

hah!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's too bad that Fitbit's flailing around like a penguin, because outside Apple, they seem to be only other ones going anything significant with heart rate measurements, other than just displaying it. More so, now that they're putting some advanced metrics in a beta test.

Also, I'm interested to see what Google can do with ML, assuming that acquisition ever happens.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If anyone is wondering fitbit’s coronavirus policy seems to be just to bin whatever has been returned and to offer you a new one no questions asked, didn’t even need to send back the box. Returned one versa with a shite battery to Amazon after a day, next one had good battery for 11 months then got insanely hot while underwater and died

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

If anyone is wondering fitbit’s coronavirus policy seems to be just to bin whatever has been returned and to offer you a new one no questions asked, didn’t even need to send back the box. Returned one versa with a shite battery to Amazon after a day, next one had good battery for 11 months then got insanely hot while underwater and died

That's good, because at 12 months and 1 day their policy is "lol here's a coupon, buy a new one"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
New versa (#3) is here, battery is good but here’s a new one for me at least, HRM can’t read through the tattoo on my watch wrist, given that the other one basically melted of it’s own accord I’m not sure if it is meant to or not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I'm in that Advanced Heart Metrics beta over on Fitbit, and I submitted a bug report. Guess what came in return? One of the typical canned (-sounding?) replies that don't have really anything to do with the content posted. Jesus H. Christ, Fitbit! One of the lines is "Make sure your heart rate setting is turned On." How about you look up my account and see there's 24/7 heart rate data all the time, you twatwaffle!

I swear to god, this company.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FogHelmut posted:

Months old, but its also just a lot faster.

Anyways, I'm vaguely interested in a wearable that can track distance and pace during a run or ride without being tethered to a phone, with minor bonus points if it can control spotify being played from a phone. Discounts on the Galaxy Watch Active got me thinking about it again, but it doesn't look like it can tell you your pace mid-activity. Any recommendations, preferable in the $120 and under price range?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Some Goon posted:

Months old, but its also just a lot faster.

Anyways, I'm vaguely interested in a wearable that can track distance and pace during a run or ride without being tethered to a phone, with minor bonus points if it can control spotify being played from a phone. Discounts on the Galaxy Watch Active got me thinking about it again, but it doesn't look like it can tell you your pace mid-activity. Any recommendations, preferable in the $120 and under price range?

My fitbit ionic can do all that but I don't think the price has come down yet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Some Goon posted:

I don't know about running but when walking the Watch Active will buzz every km or so and tell you your average speed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's new since 2018? My wife any my Versas both just died within the last week. They were Nov 2018 purchases, so only 18 months old, which I'm seeing is not unusual for catastrophic failure. The screen on mine failed, and hers started losing time by hours and crashing.

We'd like sleep tracking, very basic bitch notification, and not to break before two years old. What's out there? I'm not really inclined to give Fitbit more money after these failures.

Edit: I'm willing to get cheapo Chinese brand if it'll do sleep tracking. Anybody have a Mi Band?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So, let's say I want to buy a smart watch. I actually like square instead of circular, and would prefer something lighter/future fitness-y/more elastic or plastic-band style (as opposed something with a leather band/circular/that tries to look like a normal watch) - I have a Galaxy 8 phone and use Galaxy Buds daily. Functionality-wise, I want to be able to answer calls into my earbuds, switch songs (and browse Spotify on the watch), get texts and notifications... that's honestly about it. I basically want it for the purpose of not having to pull my phone out all the time... fitness stuff is cool but even the most basic fitness features are enough for me.

One other thing is, my wife and I use this app called Trello to organize chores/life stuff/grocery lists and the like... it would be really super neat if I could somehow access my various Trello to-do lists on the watch instead of having to check things off on my phone (pulling my phone out in the grocery store to check the list is annoying), but I know that may be one obscure function too far.

Anyway at the moment I'm considering the Galaxy Watch Active (since I'm quite happy with my other Galaxy products so far, and even though it's circular I do appreciate the rubber band and minimalist look so I'd be fine w the shape...keep it in the fam?) and the Fitbit Versa 2 (square, my wife has a really old Fitbit she likes, cons are the guy above me saying his and his wife's Versas died early?) - do either of these fit what I'm looking for? Are there other options I should consider? I did look at the ZenWatch 2 but it's, like, more than I need. It has a built in speaker. I'd definitely be irresponsible with that.

What should I buy, goons?!?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You probably want the Galaxy Watch, because it integrates pretty well with your other Samsung stuff. I have an S10, a Galaxy Watch 46mm and the Buds+. When I'm out with the earphones on, and the phone in my pocket rings, I can pick up via my watch and talk using the Buds. Altho I think I had to specifically disable the headset function of the watch, so that it redirects to the Buds.

The Fitbit stuff is pretty hit and miss, more so because Bluetooth seems to elude them. My Charge HR and Charge 3 had syncing issues beyond belief.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Cool I was mostly just wondering if there was a reason NOT to get the Galaxy watch but sounds like that's the move, thanks!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anyone get the Vivoactive 4 yet?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

(9to5 Google posted:

While Glass lives on as an enterprise product, it never came close to reaching Google’s wildly ambitious vision of replacing the smartphone. Others have since entered the smart glasses space, with North being one of the more notable players. Alphabet is now rumored to be acquiring North after Focals sold poorly.

The Globe and Mail this evening reports that North is in the “final stages” of an acquisition from Alphabet. Google’s parent company is said to be paying $180 million for the Canadian company.

This comes after North in December stopped selling Focals to focus on launching second-generation smart glasses sometime in 2020. “Focals 2.0” has been teased over the past several months with North claiming that they would be the “most significant product introduction to date in the category.”

A “lighter” and “sleeker” design would have a “10x display,” while miniaturizing the technology by 40%.

I hope this works out, I've been super intrigued by these since the first version, almost bought a pair, I could just never bring myself to do so without using them in person first. I absolutely love my Apple Watch, and find the notifications INCREDIBLY helpful for work, almost to the point of vital to me at this point but the watch glance has always been so conspicuous.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I hope this works out, I've been super intrigued by these since the first version, almost bought a pair, I could just never bring myself to do so without using them in person first. I absolutely love my Apple Watch, and find the notifications INCREDIBLY helpful for work, almost to the point of vital to me at this point but the watch glance has always been so conspicuous.

Well I'm sure you've heard the rumors of the apple glasses coming out this year too.

No cameras so its a display only and some LDAR stuff I guess.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Reading up on the upcoming Galaxy Watch 3 and it's very underwhelming. If the specs leaks are correct, it will use the same SoC as the OG but with a smaller battery and less RAM? I can get 2 days with the 46mm, so losing 100mAh would probably mean having to charge it every day, but I'm failing to see the trade-off besides a nicer design.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wanted one for the improved HR sensor, both for accuracy and comfort via the shape. But same SoC and less battery is kind of meh. I presume that it won't have an LTPO display either. I was wanting to go with an iPhone next. Considering the rumored expensive GW3 prices, an iWatch suddenly becomes an option (still hate square watches tho).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I hadn't noticed, but some sites are actually reporting it'll use a LTPO display. A better always-on display could convince me to upgrade, assuming a reasonable price.

The HR sensor I've no interest in. Just way too unreliable to be of any use. Gear Tracker and a chest strap does the job.

Same on the square issue. Well, that and I'm not moving to iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Does anyone here have any thoughts on the Garmin Venu? My Fitbit ionic died about two weeks ago, and I'm in the market for a replacement. Right now I'm kind of torn between the Galaxy active watch 2 and the Garmin Venu, but I'm open to others that I possibly haven't heard of (I hadn't heard of the Venu until last night but I'm liking what I've been reading).

I'm a runner and the main reason I sprung for the ionic when it came out was the built in gps. That's a must for me. Aside from that, I don't have too many requirements. The ionic felt limited in what it could do, so I don't really have a firm grasp on what wearables are capable of.

The review for the active 2 on DC rainmaker didn't seem that great, at least as far as being a good running watch is concerned, so right now I'm leaning towards the Venu, but am definitely open to suggestions.

As far as cost goes, I don't want to spend any more than $400.

Thanks!