Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Karenina posted:

more an album, but i'm trying to find this late 1960s (68/69) album. the cover was a black and white line drawing, the music was some flavor of psychedelic rock, and it was using drums in a pretty innovative way that sounded out of the 1980s. i can't find it for the life of me.

Morgen's self-titled album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The first three notes of this song sound exactly like another video game theme that I can't quite place. That little ascending three note mallet line, I think it's from the "build mode" or "shopping mode" from a different video game. Everything after the first three notes is different. Any help is greatly appreciated. Ugh this is driving me insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiX1dBfmftA

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I know it's not, but just to be 200% sure, it's not Revolver?

it is definitely not revolver

not that either, i'm afraid. i think the cover had line drawings of clouds, if that makes a difference

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
I keep hearing a song on the radio at the store I work at (has lots of very old stuff and very modern), that I can't remotely identify.

Most of the song is extremely dull, sounds like pop genre, sung by 1 or 2 males? The ONLY lyrics I can consciously recognize are,

"Taaaay-loooor, Taylor Swift"

sung in kind of a Cali surfer drawl. Seems to be the end of a chorus.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
What's this swing track from Back to the Future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DXufwEkCw

e: found it, "Night Train" by Marvin Berry And The Starlighters.

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 4, 2020

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

terre packet posted:

What's this swing track from Back to the Future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DXufwEkCw

Night Train. That version was recorded for the soundtrack - it's credited to the fictional band Marvin Berry & The Starlighters.
https://open.spotify.com/track/2ZErjlYEV1mDjG77ePNGKW?si=CnVn9VhQRY-Yu_S8ETY5Tw

e:f,b

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Karenina posted:

more an album, but i'm trying to find this late 1960s (68/69) album. the cover was a black and white line drawing, the music was some flavor of psychedelic rock, and it was using drums in a pretty innovative way that sounded out of the 1980s. i can't find it for the life of me.

To also be 200% sure its not Gabor Szabo's Dreams is it? I'll admit I haven't listened to it but it fits the date and the black and white drawn cover bits.

Also also it's not just something from The Jet's Get Born album? I have a dim memory of an album cover that I had to look twice at to realize it wasn't Revolver, just some one aping the aesthetic a little too closely, so that's what I'm going off of here.

edit: Hey check it out, this person on Discogs put together a list of 60s psych albums they love and lots of them have black and white drawn covers, any look like it?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 4, 2020

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Nyyen posted:

Got a hard one. Found this one on The Sixty One back in 2008-2009. Title or artist has Lo-Fi in it, Lo-Fi something something, possibly rhyming. Wolf also might be part of the song or artist's name, but I can't be sure. One man group if I remember correctly, and it was a kind of pop sound, maybe pop-punk. Music video was set in a dense party, almost mosh pit with mostly teenagers if I remember correctly. Hate to say that is all I have. The Sixty One is dead so I can't go back to that, even on the wayback machine. Anyone got the touch?

Could it possibly be Wolf like Me by TV On the Radio?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
A french girl group, singing in english (at least partly) about being a bitch. Heard it on youtube at least five years ago.

Edit: literally just after I closed the browser I remembered their name :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSG49SG8e8

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 5, 2020

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

To also be 200% sure its not Gabor Szabo's Dreams is it? I'll admit I haven't listened to it but it fits the date and the black and white drawn cover bits.

Also also it's not just something from The Jet's Get Born album? I have a dim memory of an album cover that I had to look twice at to realize it wasn't Revolver, just some one aping the aesthetic a little too closely, so that's what I'm going off of here.

edit: Hey check it out, this person on Discogs put together a list of 60s psych albums they love and lots of them have black and white drawn covers, any look like it?

god bless you (and that person on discogs), it's begin by the millennium

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Karenina posted:

god bless you (and that person on discogs), it's begin by the millennium

I almost suggested this one because it had the cloud you mentioned on the cover, but the one song I happened to listen to didn't really scream 80s style drums to me. Glad you found it!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Hi i dont know if this is the right place to ask but anyways: Im after a track i heard at a party like 2 years ago. The only thing i remember is that in the youtube image there was a lady with american aborigen paint or something like that. The vocalist was a female and the lyrics contained the words let you go and push me around. It anyone can help me?

edit: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS_TXQD-KPQ

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 7, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay this one's driving me nuts.

A 90s indie band that had two bass players and wore a lot of leather and all their songs were kind of about sex, the specific song I'm trying to remember had an intro that was a guitar line I used to be able to play, that involves an open E string alternated with high neck G notes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

precision posted:

A 90s indie band that had two bass players and wore a lot of leather and all their songs were kind of about sex, the specific song I'm trying to remember had an intro that was a guitar line I used to be able to play, that involves an open E string alternated with high neck G notes.

The only two two-bassist bands I can think of offhand from that era are Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Cop Shoot Cop, but I can't think of them either as being particularly sex-soaked

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hexwren posted:

The only two two-bassist bands I can think of offhand from that era are Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Cop Shoot Cop, but I can't think of them either as being particularly sex-soaked

Yeah, I'm a big Cop Shoot Cop fan and it's definitely not them. Didn't know Ned's had two bass players though, I should listen to them more

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

precision posted:

Girls Against Boys?

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Girls Against Boys?

Maybe Bulletproof Cupid then? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7o7RXpIxLs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nailed it!!! Thanks guys

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

precision posted:

Nailed it!!! Thanks guys

👍

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

I almost suggested this one because it had the cloud you mentioned on the cover, but the one song I happened to listen to didn't really scream 80s style drums to me. Glad you found it!

yeah, now that i think about it the opening of "prelude" sounds less 80s and more like a weird 90s hip-hop-like remix. thanks again

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Probably 15 years ago, I was listening to Beaker Street late one night, and Clive Clifford was playing some of the really weird long folky prog stuff he loved. There was this one song with the line "and his head was found miles from his body" or something like that. I don't remember the tune or anything like that. Google gives me nothing.

Any ideas?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Probably 15 years ago, I was listening to Beaker Street late one night, and Clive Clifford was playing some of the really weird long folky prog stuff he loved. There was this one song with the line "and his head was found miles from his body" or something like that. I don't remember the tune or anything like that. Google gives me nothing.

Any ideas?
It wasn't "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" by Nirvana was it?

quote:

My girl, my girl, don't lie to me
Tell me where did you sleep last night
In the pines, in the pines
Where the sun don't ever shine
I would shiver the whole night through

My girl, my girl, where will you go
I'm going where the cold wind blows

Her husband, was a hard working man
Just about a mile from here
His head was found in a driving wheel
But his body never was found

The sun, shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCzydWesVA

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a legit old folk song too so there's bound to be any number of recordings and lyrics variations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That’s got to be it. It wasn’t Nirvana for sure, but apparently there’s about 160 different recordings of it. With that many, even if I found it, I don’t know that I’d recognize the one I heard.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I'm sorry I don't have the best information on this, but what I do have seems weirdly specific so maybe it will be found. I heard this song about two months ago at Applebee's and I had never heard it before nor have I heard it since. The restaurant was crowded and loud so I couldn't pick out any specific lyrics. Here's what I do know:

* It had a lot of audio from old sci-fi movies. People talking, lasers, explosions. Maybe spaceship noises?
* It was quite long. Like 6-8 minutes.
* The actual song parts were repetitive. The melody sort of reminded me of MacArthur Park. I can't recall the specific melody but that's what I thought at the time.
* The singer was most likely a woman, but could have been a higher-pitched man.
* It can't have been that obscure. Again, I heard it in an Applebee's.
* It is most definitely not Flash by Queen, which is the only answer I get whenever I think to ask someone about it.

That's all I've got. I wish I had better information, but hopefully that's enough to go on.

Lester Shy posted:

The first three notes of this song sound exactly like another video game theme that I can't quite place. That little ascending three note mallet line, I think it's from the "build mode" or "shopping mode" from a different video game. Everything after the first three notes is different. Any help is greatly appreciated. Ugh this is driving me insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiX1dBfmftA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9w7A39Ggz0

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 21, 2020

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

I'm sorry I don't have the best information on this, but what I do have seems weirdly specific so maybe it will be found. I heard this song about two months ago at Applebee's and I had never heard it before nor have I heard it since. The restaurant was crowded and loud so I couldn't pick out any specific lyrics. Here's what I do know:

* It had a lot of audio from old sci-fi movies. People talking, lasers, explosions. Maybe spaceship noises?
* It was quite long. Like 6-8 minutes.
* The actual song parts were repetitive. The melody sort of reminded me of MacArthur Park. I can't recall the specific melody but that's what I thought at the time.
* The singer was most likely a woman, but could have been a higher-pitched man.
* It can't have been that obscure. Again, I heard it in an Applebee's.
* It is most definitely not Flash by Queen, which is the only answer I get whenever I think to ask someone about it.

I can't see why Applebee's would play any of these, but a few really wild stabs:

- Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine
- Queen's Gimme the Prize (has a lot of audio from Highlander)
- Jon & Vangelis' The Friends of Mr. Cairo (lots of talking, lots of sounds to imitate 1930s gangster films)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Well, turns out it was in fact The Friends of Mr. Cairo. Hearing it clearly I was way off base, but that melody is unmistakable. Thank you for putting this mystery to rest!

edit: it is not even remotely similar to MacArthur Park, gently caress you past me

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 22, 2020

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I'm helping someone find out what song is being played in the background of this YouTube clip.

It's the piano score starting at 3:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UTdxI2IEp0

The hard part is that it's beneath an ongoing commentary, so I don't know how to separate it out other than just listening to it.
I don't have any idea where the song might be from (although I'm guessing a video game or movie), but maybe somebody knows?

Thank you either way!

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Hey,

I had a song randomly pop in my head and I've googled the hell out of it no no avail bugging the poo poo out of me.

It was probably early 2000's and was like an electronic dance track. It had a woman whispering "start the burn" (I think?) throughout the verse kinda bits and it then breaks into this synth stabby bit which kinda builds up with more instruments playing the same tune.

I think the music video was like muted tones and was a woman on her own in a gym or boxing ring being all out of breath etc.

Heres a lovely rendition of the synth stabby bit

https://onlinesequencer.net/1452647

Thanks!

E: got it after trawling through similar youtube 2000s club songs till I recognised a thumbnail - if anyone's interested its "time to burn" by storm, what an awful time the early 00's were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dUwjZNLjw

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 29, 2020

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

I had a song randomly pop in my head and I've googled the hell out of it no no avail bugging the poo poo out of me.

It was probably early 2000's and was like an electronic dance track. It had a woman whispering "start the burn" (I think?) throughout the verse kinda bits and it then breaks into this synth stabby bit which kinda builds up with more instruments playing the same tune.

I think the music video was like muted tones and was a woman on her own in a gym or boxing ring being all out of breath etc.

Heres a lovely rendition of the synth stabby bit

https://onlinesequencer.net/1452647

Thanks!

I know it's not Hella Good, but your description reminded me of it for some weird reason. Might be because I've had Jet Set Radio Future on the brain lately, and it's featured in the video. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTj4cramPM

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

iSimian posted:

I'm helping someone find out what song is being played in the background of this YouTube clip.

It's the piano score starting at 3:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UTdxI2IEp0

The hard part is that it's beneath an ongoing commentary, so I don't know how to separate it out other than just listening to it.
I don't have any idea where the song might be from (although I'm guessing a video game or movie), but maybe somebody knows?

Thank you either way!

this sounds like music written for a music library. considering it’s a professional channel, that makes it even more likely since it’s significantly cheaper than trying to license something well-known. you could message the channel and ask them what the track was, they likely keep records on which tracks they’ve used and when so their videos don’t sound repetitive

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've been looking high and low for a youtube video I saw on here years ago of a chubby blonde guy with I think long blonde hair probably from the south playing a funky bass and stomping around. I think the video was titled the funkiest bass ever or something like that; or maybe that was how the person described it that posted it.

It was just a video of some guy on stage at a bar or something (I think with a band) having a great time playing bass. It's probably buried in a thread here somewhere, but I haven't had any luck.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Jazz Marimba posted:

this sounds like music written for a music library. considering it’s a professional channel, that makes it even more likely since it’s significantly cheaper than trying to license something well-known. you could message the channel and ask them what the track was, they likely keep records on which tracks they’ve used and when so their videos don’t sound repetitive

Good points! That’s a place to start, and I agree it sounds very generic. Thank you!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok, i'm looking for an indie song from around 2003. definitely came out before 2005. i think the title was a riff on 'me and julio down by the schoolyard'. or maybe that was a lyric--can't remember. in any case, the song's pretty long, i think. it's indie band dance, and i think the band took off after this. not like superstar big, but definitely known throughout the indie world. pretty sure it's not the rapture, but something along those lines.

definitely a live drummer. it has double time high hats and a pretty basic dance beat. it actually might have two distinct parts to it? one that's dance, and one that's...less dance? it's all pretty hazy. there's definitely some guitar going on, and i think maybe a synth.

any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

e: pretty sure the band was american.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 3, 2020

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

Sounds like Me And Guiliani Down By The School Yard (A True Story) by !!!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

THANK YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can't remember if I already posted this, but I overheard a song that was on a show my partner was watching (it could have been "How to Get Away with Murder") and the chorus was (very slow, piano, female singer,) "When you come home...x2"

I found a few versions online but they are not the correct ones. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: It could have been "Scandal"

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 6, 2020

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
In honor of HTGAWM ending soon I will be rewatching the entire series, now every single song I’m gonna be listening for “when you come home” 😆

Try the htgawm subreddit there are lots of obsessives on there.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Holy poo poo, yes, thank you!!!

Anybody know what (classical?) song the guitarist is quoting here at 1:38:58?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPya80o-xyA&t=5939s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody know what (classical?) song the guitarist is quoting here at 1:38:58?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPya80o-xyA&t=5939s

George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEOo28lsbc

I'm only kind of embarrassed to say I got this solely because it reminded me of the opening of The Critic, and someone in the Youtube comments pointed out the resemblance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMsOeWyWTY