Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Anyone use usbip successfully? I can't actually bind a device to the daemon, it always says there is no device with that busid. nm works with 5.5 kernel

taqueso fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Heads up if you update to kernel 5.4 and have GPU passthrough running through VFIO, it seems that VFIO is not a kernel module anymore and you can't do the softdep thing anymore.

With kernel 5.4 I can't get VFIO to load before my Nvidia drivers. Read some things that X11 might also be to blame, haven't figured it out yet so back to 5.3.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Not sure if this is the right place for this but, I want to write some websites and services, and run them either on my own hardware or a cloud vm. Which one should I learn how to configure? I believe all I want it to do is get me lets encrypt certs, reverse proxy to the applications I will write, and I think TLS termination?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
pre:
Glorious PC Gaming Race mice (HID_GLORIOUS) [N/m/y/?] (NEW)
:smugjones:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The part where that's literally the product name makes it ... differently dumb, I guess.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Computer viking posted:

The part where that's literally the product name makes it ... differently dumb, I guess.

Also hilariously from the article I saw about it it's so broken and out of spec they had to write them their own driver to make it work at all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've got a pretty n00b question. I'm reasonably familiar with cloud stuff but I'm very lacking in the meat-and-potatoes linux admin stuff.

I bought a Raspberry Pi 4B which I want to use as a headless docker server for Bitwarden, Nextcloud, etc. I initially installed Raspbian Lite and it worked great, but I wanted a 64-bit image, and eventually settled on this one. (I'm still reeling from the idea that in 2020 the best documented, most idiot-proof, most plug-and-play distro I could find was a gentoo one.)

It works great except for one thing, not at all essential but I'm curious. When I booted up Raspbian Lite and it auto-connected to the wifi, I could immediately SSH into it by hostname (ssh pi@raspberrypi). The Gentoo image does not do this, even though it appears in my home router with a proper hostname and all...

and even though I have the hostname set up in the /etc files (/etc/hosts was already there, I added /etc/hostname myself and then rebooted)

... I can only SSH to it @192.168.1.62, my (Windows) desktop won't recognize @pi64.

In particular, ping -a 192.168.1.62 does not display the hostname.

What could this Gentoo image not be doing, that Raspbian used to do?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's a few ways to do it but my guess is avahi isn't installed or configured

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You could try to decide if it's your router doing dynamic DNS or if it's mDNS/avahi by directly asking the router to resolve one of the other hosts on your network? If "dig someHost @routerIP" works, it's the router. If it fails (but you can still ping it), it's mDNS.

And if it really is the router doing a proper job and not mDNS, then it's probably down to a difference in which DHCP options they send in their requests: I believe there are at least two different ways to send a hostname.

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020

NihilCredo posted:

What could this Gentoo image not be doing, that Raspbian used to do?

I've never done a gentoo install on a raspberry pi before, but on a x86-64 machine, I remember that I had to edit an /etc/conf.d/hostname file to set it: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/System#Host_and_domain_information

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the hints. I looked up avahi and it was what Raspbian was using, so I'm gonna go with that one.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 29, 2020

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Ok, it *almost* works. It correctly broadcasts its name, but SSH doesn't seem to like it and resets the connection after password verification.

I'm trying to google it but most results either refer to my earlier problem (can't connect at all to hostname) or they point to files that this distro doesn't have like /var/log/auth.log

Any clues where I could look for logs into this error?

edit: I've discovered the -vvvvv option and i'm trying now to look up the last message (client_check_window_change) and the error codes at the end, with little succes

EDIT2: Ok, it's not the window change (that's just from resizing the terminal). I've tried a bunch of times and it fails at various points after the login, but always with the line recv - from CB ERROR:10060.

EDIT3: It's a problem with the Windows OpenSSH client, if I connect to root@pi64 from Linux it works. Nevermind.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 29, 2020

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Ok, it *almost* works. It correctly broadcasts its name, but SSH doesn't seem to like it and resets the connection after password verification.

I'm trying to google it but most results either refer to my earlier problem (can't connect at all to hostname) or they point to files that this distro doesn't have like /var/log/auth.log

Any clues where I could look for logs into this error?

edit: I've discovered the -vvvvv option and i'm trying now to look up the last message (client_check_window_change) and the error codes at the end, with little succes

EDIT2: Ok, it's not the window change (that's just from resizing the terminal). I've tried a bunch of times and it fails at various points after the login, but always with the line recv - from CB ERROR:10060.

EDIT3: It's a problem with the Windows OpenSSH client, if I connect to root@pi64 from Linux it works. Nevermind.

Try Putty?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

No need, I can just use WSL. Thanks anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What browsers are ya'll using? Any recommendations for slower machines? I had luck with Midori in the past but for some reason that particular install got broken so I'm not sure if current Midori is any good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

What browsers are ya'll using? Any recommendations for slower machines? I had luck with Midori in the past but for some reason that particular install got broken so I'm not sure if current Midori is any good.

Huh, I didn't think Midori was being actively worked on anymore but it looks like maybe it is still alive.

I currently have Firefox, Chrome, and Opera running, and make use of Vivaldi as well from time to time. I usually have Falkon and Konqueror installed, too, but they don't see as much use. If I had to choose a primary browser it would be Firefox.

On a slower machine I would probably try using Firefox as it usually has more performance-related tweaks possible that are accessible by default, and a good range of extensions to use toward that end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Cool cool thanks. I've give FF a try. Back in the long long ago I think I was able to get Opera working on a Pentium-200mhz better than any other browser but I'm not sure how that stand these days.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

I checked the OP for this,

I heard you can make a bootable linux USB with persistent storage. that would be useful for me. is there a webpage i can use for a step by step on this? ive tried it a couple times and dont seem to have the right results

i'm trying to use ubuntu since im familiar with it but i guess if i was forced into something else that would be ok

It's been a little while since I did this, but last time I did, with both Ubuntu and SUSE, the answer was:
- get a USB drive
- wipe it
- dd the liveCD/liveDVD ISO onto it
- boot it and on first boot it automatically partitions and formats the unused space to use as persistent storage

It's possible one or both of them have since dropped support for this, but it worked ca. early 2019.

VostokProgram posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but, I want to write some websites and services, and run them either on my own hardware or a cloud vm. Which one should I learn how to configure? I believe all I want it to do is get me lets encrypt certs, reverse proxy to the applications I will write, and I think TLS termination?

If you're willing to deal with the initial fairly steep learning curve (due to the fact that it works completely differently from every other *nix), I highly recommend NixOS for this just because it has built in configuration support for all the various moving parts needed to make this work well.

Here is an example config fragment adapted from my own server and annotated; this uses nginx for SSL termination (using automatically obtained and renewed Let's Encrypt certs) and reverse proxying to two different local servers, one of which has its responses modified by nginx to inject some extra JS. Under the hood this just generates a bunch of nginx config files and systemd unit files when you nixos-rebuild, so you can study those to get an idea of how to replicate that setup on other distros, if you want.

There's also no requirement that the whole configuration live in the same place, so you can e.g. have a separate .nix file for each virtualHost or for each service you want to reverse proxy to or whatever.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I currently have Firefox, Chrome, and Opera running, and make use of Vivaldi as well from time to time. I usually have Falkon and Konqueror installed, too, but they don't see as much use. If I had to choose a primary browser it would be Firefox.

What version of Opera are you using, the suspect chinese owned version or some old version?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saukkis posted:

What version of Opera are you using, the suspect chinese owned version or some old version?

The former. I make fairly light use of it, but should probably shift that stuff to Vivaldi anyway. Old habits are hard to break, and I haven't seen anything too dire about security on Opera. The ownership does give me pause, though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why would my audio not work if I reboot from my windows partition straight into Linux? I have to do a hard shutdown to get Linux audio working again, however I can reboot my windows all day and audio keeps working, it's bizarre. Linux -> Windows has no problem.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The windows driver is doing some kind of configuration of the card that is cleared by a power cycle and not a reboot. The linux driver doesn't reset that configuration to defaults but it should because it relies on that functionality.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I dual-boot Manjaro Linux and Windows 10 (because the software I use to run my D&D game refuses to work under WINE). This evening, I booted into Windows, ran my game, and then rebooted into Manjaro. Nothing. Black screen. Booting into a Live USB I have hanging around and chrooting in, I couldn't get it to find or recognize GRUB. After a few hours of loving around, reading tutorials, and repeatedly rebooting I finally used the GRUB command line on my live USB to boot into the actual Linux installation, which worked, but spit out literally hundreds of thousands of errors and took about 5 minutes. Windows still loads fine. I now have an 826kb .xsession-errors, and I'm kind of terrified to ever reboot this computer again. I'm not sure where to even start with what logs or things to post to ask for help. Where do I even start untangling this?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

If you're willing to deal with the initial fairly steep learning curve (due to the fact that it works completely differently from every other *nix), I highly recommend NixOS for this just because it has built in configuration support for all the various moving parts needed to make this work well.

Here is an example config fragment adapted from my own server and annotated; this uses nginx for SSL termination (using automatically obtained and renewed Let's Encrypt certs) and reverse proxying to two different local servers, one of which has its responses modified by nginx to inject some extra JS. Under the hood this just generates a bunch of nginx config files and systemd unit files when you nixos-rebuild, so you can study those to get an idea of how to replicate that setup on other distros, if you want.

There's also no requirement that the whole configuration live in the same place, so you can e.g. have a separate .nix file for each virtualHost or for each service you want to reverse proxy to or whatever.

Ah, thank you! Your file makes this look easy, which is exactly what I want. Just a simple setup that will be secure and then get out of my way

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Ah, thank you! Your file makes this look easy, which is exactly what I want. Just a simple setup that will be secure and then get out of my way

You're welcome! I hope it works out well for you -- NixOS isn't suitable for everything (I tried running it on a laptop for a while and it was not a good experience) but I've been running it on the family server since 2016 and been quite happy with it in that role.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

unimportantguy posted:

Where do I even start untangling this?

I wouldn't. See if your $HOME is okay and if it is, nuke it.

What you are describing screams of heavy file system corruption because something wrote garbage to the disk. An fsck would probably go wild and turn the fs into a barren wasteland.

Is this the same disk as Windows? Windows updates love re-enabling secure boot and overwriting grub if it's an MBR disk.

FWIW if you chroot into a modern Linux system you need to make sure /proc, /sys, /dev, /run etc. are properly mounted in the chroot, including --rslave mounting because they are nested file systems.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

I dual-boot Manjaro Linux and Windows 10 (because the software I use to run my D&D game refuses to work under WINE). This evening, I booted into Windows, ran my game, and then rebooted into Manjaro. Nothing. Black screen. Booting into a Live USB I have hanging around and chrooting in, I couldn't get it to find or recognize GRUB. After a few hours of loving around, reading tutorials, and repeatedly rebooting I finally used the GRUB command line on my live USB to boot into the actual Linux installation, which worked, but spit out literally hundreds of thousands of errors and took about 5 minutes. Windows still loads fine. I now have an 826kb .xsession-errors, and I'm kind of terrified to ever reboot this computer again. I'm not sure where to even start with what logs or things to post to ask for help. Where do I even start untangling this?

When you boot into Majaro, if you remove the "quiet" kernel argument from GRUB, does it print any messages at all? When you have this "black screen" it can be that just plymouth cannot start, but the system underneath is perfectly fine (well, X issues are there as well, obviously). You can try to get a console with Alt-F2 to F6. If not possible, can you ssh into your computer from another computer? Is it ping-able? If you have no other computer you can try with your phone and using some net application or Termux.
If the system cannot boot at all, maybe the root filesystem changed its ID or /dev/sdX letter if you're using that (check the root kernel parameter in GRUB). That ID should never change, but ... dunno, windows shouldn't have messed up with your linux system either, so we are in uncharted territory anyway here.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'll be genuinely curious to hear how the transition to the new religion of systemd-homed goes.
I hope none of you are doing Kerberos, because since Lennart isn't, it doesn't work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'll be genuinely curious to hear how the transition to the new religion of systemd-homed goes.
I hope none of you are doing Kerberos, because since Lennart isn't, it doesn't work.

Surely it won't be forced down on user's throats right off the bat by sane distributions. Fedora 32 here and it doesn't even have systemd-homed available. And I can't imagine it could even be considered for RHEL until it does get Kerberos (and whatever other technologies are needed) support. I really wouldn't worry about it for at least another decade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's gonna be a long ways off for me because we're a rhel-based shop (and 100% reliant on kerberos). But the gnashing of teeth from the community should be good entertainment until then.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We have people with millions of files and terabytes in their home directories. The thought of automatically running chown -R each time one of them logs in is hilarious to me.

Also, Kerberos.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

taqueso posted:

The windows driver is doing some kind of configuration of the card that is cleared by a power cycle and not a reboot. The linux driver doesn't reset that configuration to defaults but it should because it relies on that functionality.

Assuming there is nothing I can do then?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

try this

e: that might be wrong, but there's all sorts of fast boot/fast reboot/shutdown-but-it's-actually-hibernating type options and my guess is it's one of those.

hifi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 30, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

What's your sound card? And the post above is a good idea to try.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Yeah, my Win10 and Manjaro installations are on the same SSD. I tried removing the quiet argument from GRUB but to no avail. Nothing changed on boot at all, and I just got a black screen. ctrl+alt+f2-f6 all did nothing.

I followed this tutorial:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader
but ran across repeated errors where it claimed that GRUB didn't exist, or alternately, that UEFI was not supported (which is insane because this is a UEFI system :psyduck:).

The only way I was able to get any kind of response was by following this forum post:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/using-livecd-v17-0-1-and-above-as-grub-to-boot-os-with-broken-bootloader/24916
which spit out the thousands upon thousands of errors, but did get the computer to boot into Manjaro properly.

I'm inclined to agree with Antigravitas. I think Win10 screwed up something with GRUB (possibly overwriting the MBR). At this point it's looking like my best option is going to be to just format the drive and start over. Thankfully, my important data is all stored on a separate hard drive. All things considered, I think it's going to be best to just install Linux as sole OS this time and focus on trying to get the software I use working with winetricks. If I'm at risk of this happening again, I'd rather just deal with not having access to Windows. I was already using Linux for everything else but running my D&D game anyway.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 30, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If it's an UEFI system the MBR would be irrelevant.

There's two ways to boot:

You either have UEFI with a GPT partitioned drive where you simply copy your boot loader onto the fat32 ESP partition and tell your firmware which file to boot. This is fairly solid and free from interference until Windows decides to activate Secure Boot and gently caress you over.

You have BIOS boot with an MBR partitioned drive where Grub uses a Rube Goldberg contraption to boot and relies on nothing writing to space that's used for padding and it's really fickle because other things may write there too, like DRM software. Iirc FlexNet used to destroy Grub by writing into the first few sectors of the drive…

Generally however, if you are going to dual boot, I'd make sure each OS gets its own drive. SSDs are really cheap now and Linux doesn't use much space.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

All things considered, I think it's going to be best to just install Linux as sole OS this time and focus on trying to get the software I use working with winetricks. If I'm at risk of this happening again, I'd rather just deal with not having access to Windows. I was already using Linux for everything else but running my D&D game anyway.

Don't forget the option of running Windows in a VM.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

Yeah, my Win10 and Manjaro installations are on the same SSD. I tried removing the quiet argument from GRUB but to no avail. Nothing changed on boot at all, and I just got a black screen. ctrl+alt+f2-f6 all did nothing.

I followed this tutorial:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader
but ran across repeated errors where it claimed that GRUB didn't exist, or alternately, that UEFI was not supported (which is insane because this is a UEFI system :psyduck:).

The only way I was able to get any kind of response was by following this forum post:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/using-livecd-v17-0-1-and-above-as-grub-to-boot-os-with-broken-bootloader/24916
which spit out the thousands upon thousands of errors, but did get the computer to boot into Manjaro properly.

I'm inclined to agree with Antigravitas. I think Win10 screwed up something with GRUB (possibly overwriting the MBR). At this point it's looking like my best option is going to be to just format the drive and start over. Thankfully, my important data is all stored on a separate hard drive. All things considered, I think it's going to be best to just install Linux as sole OS this time and focus on trying to get the software I use working with winetricks. If I'm at risk of this happening again, I'd rather just deal with not having access to Windows. I was already using Linux for everything else but running my D&D game anyway.

Well, it is certainly the easiest way to fix it and if you don't feel like janitoring it then by all means. On the other hand, there are some things that could be tried:

1. There is no more MBR on a UEFI system. You either boot in UEFI mode or in Legacy mode (with MBR). There is, however, a /boot/efi partition, a FAT32 partition, where both windows and linux and everyone can store their grub files.
2. If you mount the normal / from a livecd you have to be careful to mount /boot/efi as well in addition to /proc, /sys, /dev, /run .
3. If you can see the grub menu it means that grub itself is loading, so /boot/efi and the grub.cfg file from it are fine.
4. Since you were able to boot into the system after messing around with the grub loader, it could be that the hdd ID has changed (firmware update by windows?)

Could simply run sudo blkid from the livecd, find out the id of the / partition, and make sure that both grub.cfg and /etc/fstab point to it and not to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Okay, curiouser and curiouser. I was fiddling with UEFI settings on my motherboard firmware, and I discovered that it only recognizes the USB drive as an EFI boot device, not Windows or Linux (ie, the firmware settings manager identifies the USB drive "UEFI" but the Windows as just "Windows Boot Loader" and the Linux as just... the SSD itself). If I load up the USB drive and select the display EFI loaders option and Manjaro's GRUB from there, everything starts just fine. If I reboot without the thumb drive in, nothing happens. So something is preventing the motherboard from finding GRUB but it can do so just fine from the USB drive and I'm not getting a billion errors anymore. I... guess I can just keep the thumb drive handy for any time I reboot for now and keep trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on here.

Edit: Here's what I get when I run update-grub:

So for some reason it's trying to find GRUB on /dev/sdc1, which doesn't exist is my USB drive okay what the hell. Trying to hunt down where device.map is now, because it's not in /boot/grub.

Thanks everybody who's offered help so far. It may just be that I'm dumb and did something wrong during an install or update that's coming back to haunt me now.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 30, 2020