Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Media panic is going to be a far greater cause of shortages than temporary plant closures

Either way, ribeyes are the new toilet paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fallom posted:

Media panic is going to be a far greater cause of shortages than temporary plant closures

This is how people get E. coli.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallom posted:

Maybe but my dad is in the industry and he is saying there is absolutely going to be a shortage. Media panic or not.

He saw the price of ribeye steaks go up $1.50 a lb just over the weekend.

That being said people don’t need to eat as much meat as they thing they do so I’m sure everyone will survive.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

That being said people don’t need to eat as much meat as they thing they do so I’m sure everyone will survive.
yeah the shear amount of red meat we eat in america is absolutely absurd. it's generally a luxury to eat that much anywhere else in the world and usually cut up into stews/curries and stuff in much smaller quantities at most.

People can absolutely live without eating a 14oz well-done NY strip with ketchup everynight.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My family still has 15 rolls of TP and I bought probably a month before the bunghole panic. What the gently caress are you people doing in the bathroom?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SirPablo posted:

My family still has 15 rolls of TP and I bought probably a month before the bunghole panic. What the gently caress are you people doing in the bathroom?

Washing my rear end with the bidet i bought

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

astral posted:

This is how people get E. coli.

the McWipe is back :gooncamp:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Weirdly the NY strip at our warehouse was down to 10.49 a pound for prime so I ended up buying two 4 packs, which is a ton of meat for my wife and I. This was 2~ weeks ago. We'll make two steaks at a time, usually once a month. Since we are cool with a vacuum sealer we're good for a long while.

Otherwise yeah man we as a nation do not need to eat so goddamned much meat, we'll be fine.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 28, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

reminds me, I need to look for bread flour, supposedly the restaurant supplier opened its doors to the public

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

btw, anyone know if the ol' buy someone a giftcard so they dont need membership thing still works

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

reminds me, I need to look for bread flour, supposedly the restaurant supplier opened its doors to the public

They did, my buddy with the pizza shop is miserable. He sent me a phone pic of the lines reaching the back of the store!
He no longer has any idea when it's going to be busy, when it used to be super-predictable. I used to shop for him at 3:00 PM every Friday, and it was always the same people in the store at that time.

Anyway, make sure you get the King Arthur Special Patent flour, it's only $16 for the 50 pound sack, and it's the bestest flour ever. Bread, pasta, bagels, anything that needs the gluten.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

MisterOblivious posted:

Your gas tax is still too low. Hawaii is the only state that even comes close to charging the people that use the roads what it costs to maintain the roads.

Almost all the wear snd tesr on roads comes from gisnt trucks.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Squashy Nipples posted:

They did, my buddy with the pizza shop is miserable. He sent me a phone pic of the lines reaching the back of the store!
He no longer has any idea when it's going to be busy, when it used to be super-predictable. I used to shop for him at 3:00 PM every Friday, and it was always the same people in the store at that time.

Anyway, make sure you get the King Arthur Special Patent flour, it's only $16 for the 50 pound sack, and it's the bestest flour ever. Bread, pasta, bagels, anything that needs the gluten.

King Arthur is legendary for its consistency snd quality

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Fallom posted:

The Costco Thread: Ribeyes Are The New Toilet Paper

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

My partner made 8.5 pounds of carnitas after a Costco run, and now I'm sitting here looking at this giant pile of meat and wondering what to do with it. Mixed with some scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos is a given of course, but it's still a lot of meat.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

binge crotching posted:

My partner made 8.5 pounds of carnitas after a Costco run, and now I'm sitting here looking at this giant pile of meat and wondering what to do with it. Mixed with some scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos is a given of course, but it's still a lot of meat.

Should've been prepared.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

binge crotching posted:

This is one of the many reasons why the Food Saver vacuum sealer is a wise investment for the quarantined Costco shopper. Don't let precious carnitas spoil!

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Leave it in the fat. It's naturally preserved and protected from oxidation

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
That's rhe whole point of carnitas

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

binge crotching posted:

nachos, enchiladas, quesadillas, migas, every other Mexican thing, add bbq sauce for sandwiches, bbq pork pizza, add some to stir fried Asian noodles, fried rice, top baked sweet potatoes, freeze it in smaller portions for an easy protein to make any of those things

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe but my dad is in the industry and he is saying there is absolutely going to be a shortage. Media panic or not.

He saw the price of ribeye steaks go up $1.50 a lb just over the weekend.

While overall I don't think this is a great, but it might help people to learn that they don't need to eat meat for every meal. Maybe it'll expand people's horizons on what they can eat.

edit: looks like everyone else said this too

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 28, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

This is one of the many reasons why the Food Saver vacuum sealer is a wise investment for the quarantined Costco shopper. Don't let precious carnitas spoil!

Yep. I got a Foodsaver Gamesaver for $50 a couple years ago and I use that thing all the time. Just double every high-effort recipe and freeze the rest.

The meat angle is obvious, but the cheese is where it gets great. Giant costco tub of parmesan? Freeze half of it. $15 wheel of gouda? Freezer time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fallom posted:

The NY strip loins are the way to go. $5.79 a pound at my Costco and I take them home and cut them real thick and freeze them and then they're perfect to sous vide or reverse sear.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yesterday, I couldn't buy eggs at Costco unless if I bought the 72 pack.

Also, I noticed that many of the higher-up shelves that are normally filled up with pallets were empty. Definitely a weird feeling.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I meant to head to Church over lunch today but got delayed. Better to go in early afternoon (around 4:30) or tomorrow at noon?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My church was basically out of all meat and just filled the entire meat cases with specialty hams.

Kind of wish i had bought one of those hams.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yesterday, I couldn't buy eggs at Costco unless if I bought the 72 pack.

Also, I noticed that many of the higher-up shelves that are normally filled up with pallets were empty. Definitely a weird feeling.

I thought the biggest pack they had was 5 dozen!

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

I thought the biggest pack they had was 5 dozen!

I am a professional egg toucher so I have to climb out of the sewer whenever anyone talks about eggs. most costcos sell 1 dozen and 2 dozen cartons, 5 dozen boxes and/or overwrap, and a 15dz box. the business centers also sell 30dz boxes. you should only buy the ones that have a usda grade shield on them (not all do). well thanks for reading the post everyone, I hope you all enjoyed egg chat

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ixo posted:

I am a professional egg toucher so I have to climb out of the sewer whenever anyone talks about eggs. most costcos sell 1 dozen and 2 dozen cartons, 5 dozen boxes and/or overwrap, and a 15dz box. the business centers also sell 30dz boxes. you should only buy the ones that have a usda grade shield on them (not all do). well thanks for reading the post everyone, I hope you all enjoyed egg chat

Too short. What are the ones not usda graded then? Why 15doz and not a gross? What's overwrap? How come my egg white omellete came out all lumpy and awful looking?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

StormDrain posted:

How come my egg white omellete came out all lumpy and awful looking?

That was a mirror, not a frying pan

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
You can't get that kind of burn at Costco.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

StormDrain posted:

How come my egg white omellete came out all lumpy and awful looking?
Without the yolk to add the fats the albumen cooks unevenly and tends to be rubbery.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

My church was basically out of all meat and just filled the entire meat cases with specialty hams.

Kind of wish i had bought one of those hams.

Ham or jamon? This is important.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Went to church to restock on allergy meds and to pick up a chicken and some berries. The number of people just browsing and touching poo poo with no mask on was loving infuriating, and I'm in a state with a long term stay at home order. One woman was standing and texting in front of the chicken case for several minutes until I was finally like, "uh can I get a chicken, I don't want to break the 6ft rule..." and she gave me a lovely look for daring to want to get my poo poo and get the gently caress back home.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Ham or jamon? This is important.
HAMON!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Costco: How many breads do you have in your cart?

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

StormDrain posted:

Too short. What are the ones not usda graded then? Why 15doz and not a gross? What's overwrap? How come my egg white omellete came out all lumpy and awful looking?

Alton Brown talked about it on his most recent episode of Good Eats reloaded, but basically USDA grades on eggs are voluntary, not required. More info: https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/egg/grade-shields

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

13Pandora13 posted:

Went to church to restock on allergy meds and to pick up a chicken and some berries. The number of people just browsing and touching poo poo with no mask on was loving infuriating, and I'm in a state with a long term stay at home order. One woman was standing and texting in front of the chicken case for several minutes until I was finally like, "uh can I get a chicken, I don't want to break the 6ft rule..." and she gave me a lovely look for daring to want to get my poo poo and get the gently caress back home.

Got stuck behind an elderly gentleman (no mask) down the meat aisle, yesterday. Trying to keep the 6 feet, and he was stopping at a thing.... slowly, painfully opening the plastic bag, and laboriously loading the meat item into that bag. Then he'd move to the next meat item. He slowly, painfully open his plastic bag....

Not really criticizing him. What's he gonna do. But he def traffic jammed the meat aisle when he wouldn't move aside to open the Hellraiser-class puzzle box that was the little plastic bag.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

New CostCo COVID19 Policies Starting May 4th

Notably:

• You gotta wear a mask, unless you can't or are under 2!
  • But they're returning to regular operating hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Good.