Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of my favorite garage decorations:

Early 2000s, some guy on a c&c forum had a wood CNC (heh) machine and made a few sets of these. I completely forgot about them until my parents dumped off all my childhood poo poo at my first house a decade later, so that was a nice surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
DJlaptop made those.

I think he still hangs around the n00bstories irc.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean really, thinking about it C&C is basically almost Warcraft levels of 'We couldn't get the license so we changed the bare minimum' but with GI Joe instead of Warhammer. Not that that's a bad thing either way, really, but it's hard to unsee. Well, with the obvious Dune II influences on gameplay.

Of course, it's a general aesthetic that lends itself to a flavourful RTS, with instantly recognisable and distinct units being a necessity for gameplay and giving them hammy and memorable personalities is just a natural extension of that. And it's one genre where FMV cutscenes are actually fitting, since the gameplay layer is so abstracted.

Almost, they made Dune 2 and then wanted to do their own thing so they got more money, not having to pay license fees. C&C was going to be about wizards and stuff, like a lot of the previous westwood adventure games, but they figured military worked better like it did in dune.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did they ever do the thing where they made it free like they did with StarCraft?

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDx-3bHxSw&t=345s

why does this song become another song half way thru?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Schadenboner posted:

Did they ever do the thing where they made it free like they did with StarCraft?

when I worked there in 2007ish there was an ftp server that had all the originals(everything up to RA2) just up for download with no DRM or anything

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

when I worked there in 2007ish there was an ftp server that had all the originals(everything up to RA2) just up for download with no DRM or anything

I remember something like that but hosed if I remember if it was official (much less still around).

:shrug:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Philman posted:

I theorize this was a way of getting hidden level music onto the disk for some reason but if anybody has actual facts or half remembered opinions please let me know.

Also posts are gonna resume here today!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

Schadenboner posted:

I remember something like that but hosed if I remember if it was official (much less still around).

Here we go: the Wayback Machine of http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic still seems to have live links.

:tipshat:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drunkill posted:

DJlaptop made those.

I think he still hangs around the n00bstories irc.

Almost, they made Dune 2 and then wanted to do their own thing so they got more money, not having to pay license fees. C&C was going to be about wizards and stuff, like a lot of the previous westwood adventure games, but they figured military worked better like it did in dune.

That does make sense. I suppose generic terrorists vs generic vaguely American special forces was just in vogue at the time.

Am I the only one who played Enemy Nations?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Schadenboner posted:

they were(it was hosted at ftp.ea.com) but it looks like the ftp server isn't listening, even tho the DNS entries still exist.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Philman posted:

reignofevil posted:

I theorize this was a way of getting hidden level music onto the disk for some reason but if anybody has actual facts or half remembered opinions please let me know.

Although that’s a rather odd/sudden transition in that track and likely was just a hidden track, it’s not uncommon at all for soundtrack songs in general to totally shift midway through, basically being two different pieces of music under one track name.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Surf no Mercy was a surfrock/misirlou-inspired rendition of the song No Mercy, which is a C&C song not an RA1 song.

It played after you beat the giant ant missions in RA1 as a bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WideTH9XxSs

I'm not sure why it was tacked on to Smash in that video posted above. Someone probably ripped a soundtrack cd years ago and the two tracks were recorded at once?

A huge number of tracks never made it onto the physical soundtrack releases. One thing the new remaster will be pretty cool, having a 6 cd soundtrack in the collectors edition and all the songs that made it into the games available in the in-game jukebox, even some unreleased tracks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

In addition to eventually being released for free, the original games did the whole two-disc system, where you could play one of the campaigns with each disc and loan the other to a friend and then do multiplayer together. This was a very popular thing with my friends growing up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah the giant ants!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

reignofevil posted:

:dogcited:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

reignofevil posted:

:sickos:

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Chronojam posted:

In addition to eventually being released for free, the original games did the whole two-disc system, where you could play one of the campaigns with each disc and loan the other to a friend and then do multiplayer together. This was a very popular thing with my friends growing up.

this is why i only have the yuri's revenge disc now

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The chinese commander busies himself with constructing a war factory and also getting tons of his MiGs shot down by GLA city defenses. This is going to be one tough nut to crack. The chinese assistant helpfully points out useful civilian buildings exist to be captured to the southwest, deep within the city. The commander queues up a ton of rocket soldiers and eyes the untaken oil derrick with greed.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Another chinese pilot sent to their death. This one made it all the way to his airbase but unfortunately he had exploded about two hundred meters prior.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This mission shows off some of the nastier things the GLA can do to you if given the opportunity. In gold is a proximity explosive which can be built on the cheap by GLA workers. They are stealthed so chinese troop crawlers are the best way to detect them, here you can see the chinese commander boldly driving his troop crawlers straight into a pair of the explosives instead of moving forward cautiously. To the north you can see a massive wave of suicide bombers coming to gently caress up his base and his day.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A troop crawler, eight chinese infantry and a dragon tank, dead in an instant.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The giant wave of suicide bombers gets shot to death by the automated gattling turrets. That's basically the exact scenario they exist to prevent and they do their job admirably.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Another hidden mine blows up the chinese commanders last starting troop crawler, this time he plans ahead and has some of his soldiers get out first. Still, at this rate the cost of taking this city will be a heavy toll.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Another two inches. Another mine. Another dead dragon tank. We've got a long day ahead.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

By this point the "people's army" is just sixteen dudes with rifles standing in front of a defenseless minesweeper. Still it's getting the job done much better than the expensive rear end vehicles were.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

It's difficult to see but the red circle is a GLA proximity mine which the chinese soldiers got too close to, ran away from, and since the GLA are standing next to it they all get blown sky high by their own bombs!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
All of the chinese ground soldiers die though. So uhh, now we need a real plan, where we buy soldiers, and tanks, and stuff.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The plan for what to do with this booby trap laden city full of anti-tank rockets and tons of garrisoned buildings full of rocket soldiers is.... the slowest most expensive tank in the game. One of them. Hopefully more are on the horizon because otherwise this plan ain't looking so hot.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The chinese commander start leveraging his ability to call in artillery strikes in conjunction with the USA's air support and he calls in carpet bombing runs on recently smashed GLA positions. The reason this is so crucial is the object circled in red above, the GLA hole. Every GLA building becomes a hole when first destroyed which will slowly repair itself into being a fully operational terror center, this means a single artillery strike will never fully destroy a GLA building but if you could drop some bombs on them immediately after the hole will be destroyed and the building will need to be rebuilt with a dedicated worker.

The chinese care not for how many united states pilots they get shot down, and indeed this carpet bomber dies moments after this photo was taken. At least they are not skimping on sacrificing their own air force as a way to keep the balance equal.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A select group of hackers are hired to make up for chinese budget shortfalls and then another overlord tank is ordered up at the war factory. This is gonna be a rough one.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The army finally makes it to their holy grail, the untapped oil reserves. They even discover the nearby booby traps and destroy them without driving directly into them and dying for a change.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The commander tries to use infantry to capture these civilian buildings but he never researched the upgrade to do so at the barracks and so none of his soldiers know how. He begrudgingly orders hacker production to be interrupted so that his soldiers can learn how to raise a flag up a pole.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the new chinese army, much as the old chinese army but with bigger more expensive tanks to wreck. Overlord tanks can have one of three upgrades, which is basically some extra hardware glued on the top. A gattling cannon, gives it limited anti air and anti infantry capability, a speaker tower, this heals anything in a radius around it, and a bunker which can hold up to five infantry who can shoot out. We're looking at one gattling cannon and one speaker tower, not a bad setup.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I wasn't kidding about that flag pole by the way. This is how all non-black-lotus infantry capture buildings.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pushing north. The overlords shoot at a proximity mine and blast themselves but they're hardy and can take it. The GLA do gently caress up a dragon tank though. This is a war being fought one inch at a time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
In a half decent strategic play the chinese commander experiments with using artillery strikes to soften up the targets in front of his mechanized forces. Works wonderfully. Imagine that. More hackers and more overlords being produced.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

this is why i only have the yuri's revenge disc now

Just looked at my Red Alert case, I've only got the Soviet disc.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just looked at my Red Alert case, I've only got the Soviet disc.

I have both but haven't had a CD drive in like 5+ years?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I have both but haven't had a CD drive in like 5+ years?

For some reason I do still have a CD drive, so I'll probably try installing tonight and playing the Soviet campaign. Do I remember correctly that the Windows version looked better than DOS? DOSBox is the easy option, of course, but I could probably track down a Windows 95 VM image somehow too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so this is a let's play now right