Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
In terms of noise level, is there a significant difference between a the Topre Silent 45g (purple?) and Cherry MX Silent Red? I haven't been able to find good demo videos for the silent Topres, though from what I've watched unsilenced Topres are more quiet (or at least a better noise profile) than unslienced Cherry MX so I'm wondering if that translates to the silent version of both as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What are some good sources for keycaps that aren't like $200 for a set and are immediately available?
Not like /r/mechmarket or anything, but actual retail websites like drop.com or kono.store

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What are some good sources for keycaps that aren't like $200 for a set and are immediately available?
Not like /r/mechmarket or anything, but actual retail websites like drop.com or kono.store

Besides the usual suspects like amazon, ebay, aliexpress, etc, there's sites like:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=40
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/products/keycaps/keycap-set.html (not the cheapest)
https://pimpmykeyboard.com/

Probably a few others I'm not aware of, but I've been pretty happy with my dolch clones for a few years.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Kprepublic and kbdfans are both great for cheaper keycap sets

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

other than PMK, is there a good place to order 1.25u/1.5u keycaps? i need redox modifiers with legends and while ill settle with $3 per, i was hoping to see other options before i place my order

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

other than PMK, is there a good place to order 1.25u/1.5u keycaps? i need redox modifiers with legends and while ill settle with $3 per, i was hoping to see other options before i place my order

WASD will do single printed keycaps, but it looks like singles are closer to $9 or more each:
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/products/keycaps/printed-keycap-singles.html

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Ughhhhh I ordered an Aliexpress Cospad case and a LFKeyboards PCB at about the same time; the PCB finally showed up as KPRepublic admitted their carrier had lost the parcel

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Ughhhhh I ordered an Aliexpress Cospad case and a LFKeyboards PCB at about the same time; the PCB finally showed up as KPRepublic admitted their carrier had lost the parcel

How are you going to survive covid-19 if you don't get your masks from KPRepublic as the special gift for ordering from them?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, I've been using rubber dome keyboards pretty much my whole life, but my current one (a logitech k270) is starting to have some sticking issues and my replacement one (also k270 supposedly, but seemingly a different design?) refuses to play nice with my setup (some kind of USB interference seems likely to be the cause based on their FAQs) so I figured now was as good as time as any to get something nicer. I looked through the OP, but it seemed like it was a little tricky to find one that a) isn't horribly garish to my eyes that are used to flat colour keyboards and b) is actually using UK keycaps. I checked out the recommended EU site but didn't see much of anything from the quick recommendations bit. I'd prefer something that isn't horribly noisy, and I'm not super interested in something really high end- I basically don't mind the rubber bump keyboards I've been working with and and am more attracted by the lifetime increase from mechanic keyboards than the typing experience improvement. Is there an "obvious answer" for this situation, or should I just try to find a Magiforce somewhere and get UK keycaps?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If you mean putting UK keycaps on a ANSI/US layout board that won't completely work because the physical layouts are different between ANSI and ISO.

There are enough UK layout keyboards that you shouldn't need to do this though, like the various Ducky models, Durgod Taurus, GMMK ISO and cheaper outemu/generic switch options like Drevo.

For higher end options, there are also a few Vortex boards in stock on mechboards.co.uk: https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/keyboards/vortex-tab-90m-iso-keyboard/

And the Caps Unlocked CU80 group buy is currently open: https://caps-unlocked.com/group-buy-cu80-round-2/

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 21, 2020

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Llamadeus posted:

If you mean putting UK keycaps on a ANSI/US layout board that won't completely work because the physical layouts are different between ANSI and ISO.

There are enough UK layout keyboards that you shouldn't need to do this though, like the various Ducky models, Durgod Taurus, GMMK ISO and cheaper outemu/generic switch options like Drevo.

For higher end options, there are also a few Vortex boards in stock on mechboards.co.uk: https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/keyboards/vortex-tab-90m-iso-keyboard/

And the Caps Unlocked CU80 group buy is currently open: https://caps-unlocked.com/group-buy-cu80-round-2/

Are there UK Ducky models? I was looking into those cause they seemed like they might be a good fit, but I could only find US layouts on the linked site, and their own website seemed to just be a showcase rather than actual sales.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Are there UK Ducky models? I was looking into those cause they seemed like they might be a good fit, but I could only find US layouts on the linked site, and their own website seemed to just be a showcase rather than actual sales.
I can spot a handful of UK layout Duckys on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducky-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches/dp/B07KQ9NT1S/

And exactly three on CCL Online.

Usually overclockers.co.uk sells them as well but I guess the stock situation isn't very good right now.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Llamadeus posted:

I can spot a handful of UK layout Duckys on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducky-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches/dp/B07KQ9NT1S/

And exactly three on CCL Online.

Usually overclockers.co.uk sells them as well but I guess the stock situation isn't very good right now.

Oh, cool, they have a ducky one 2 on there that looks perfect. Thanks for the help!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

How are you going to survive covid-19 if you don't get your masks from KPRepublic as the special gift for ordering from them?

I got my 3M respirator and filters before they all went OOS :cool:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My keyboard's C key has stopped responding reliably. It does not register the button press about half the time. At times I can press and hold the c key, nothing will appear for about 5-6 seconds, and then it will finally kick in and make a long lines of ccccccccccc consistently. It seems to work more consistently if I do a full force press of the key than a lighter half-pressure touch.

I've never had an issue like this before, but this is the first time I've owned a non-commercial keyboard. This keyboard was bought off someone on Reddit and was custom built.

I took the key off and inspected the key itself and the switch, but nothing seems obviously wrong from the outside. Is there any easy fix for this or does it involve taking about the board and using a soldering iron?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 23, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Megasabin posted:

My keyboard's C key has stopped responding reliably. It does not register the button press about half the time. At times I can press and hold the c key, nothing will appear for about 5-6 seconds, and then it will finally kick in and make a long lines of ccccccccccc consistently. It seems to work more consistently if I do a full force press of the key than a lighter half-pressure touch.

I've never had an issue like this before, but this is the first time I've owned a non-commercial keyboard. This keyboard was bought off someone on Reddit and was custom built.

I took the key off and inspected the key itself and the switch, but nothing seems obviously wrong from the outside. Is there any easy fix for this or does it involve taking about the board and using a soldering iron?

That sounds like either the solder joints to the PCB went bad, or the switch itself went bad. Both problems require disassembling the keyboard and use of a soldering iron, sorry.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Megasabin posted:

I've had some luck spraying electrical contact cleaner into switches and tapping them for a couple of minutes to fix things like this, but your situation is a not necessarily normal if it's a custom built keyboard. It could be an issue with a bad solder joint or something. My suspicion is it's just the one switch, so contact cleaner might work. I've used Deoxit before for this, you kind of push down the switch and spray a little inside the gap the stem makes when depressed. If that doesn't fix it or you want a guaranteed fix, you could also desolder the switch and replace it or take it apart and clean it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are there good mechanical keyboards that have the mac function keys?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I believe there are some scripts or apps out there that let you configure a standard keyboard's F-keys to behave like an Apple keyboard (special functions by default, use 'fn' key to make them behave like standard F-keys). MacOS also has built in settings to change the modifier key layout as well (e.g. if you want to swap Windows -> Option and Alt -> Command to mimic a Mac layout). So in theory you could get this working with most keyboards. Some keyboards also have built-in ability to program macros and such, and you can set up the special mac functions that way (I believe most Ducky keyboards can do this). If you don't want to deal with any of that though, Varmilo makes solid keyboards and has some models with Mac layouts:

Full size: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3488
TKL: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3500
65%: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4285 (actually made by Varmilo, despite the Ducky branding)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

It looks like the WASD CODE keyboard (and probably standard WASD keyboards too, but I'm too tipsy to research further) have Mac settings available by dipswitch:
http://jornane.me/doc/code-dip-v2b/

Basically you have to reference a manual or something to get the positions correct, but there is a huge amount of customization available on these boards via the switches on the bottom of the board, and at least one of them is for Mac settings.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k2-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I love my k2, and I have a k4 on the way for my work computer.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm tired of reaching so far for my keyboard, so I need a narrow wrist pad. Any suggestions? Everything I find is too fat or too long. Only has to be about a foot long, 1-2 inches wide.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Getting keycaps for the redox turned out to be a motherfucker so I’m going to just order the ErgoDox instead

Are there any keycap kits for the modifiers that have legends on them? I don’t want to have a key map hanging over my desk for the next 8 years

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Are there any keycap kits for the modifiers that have legends on them? I don’t want to have a key map hanging over my desk for the next 8 years

Maybe search around aliexpress? Signature Plastics also has a lot of specialty kits.

You may want to at least try blank keycaps at some point though. It's way easier to find, and a lot cheaper. For more advanced layered layouts you aren't going to find keycaps with the correct layered legends anyway, and the letter keys should be the easiest to memorize.

Obviously the learning time varies per person but a completely new layout only takes me maybe a month to learn without needing to reference a keymap, even with about 4 layers or so. You just sort of get used to it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Getting keycaps for the redox turned out to be a motherfucker so I’m going to just order the ErgoDox instead

Doesn’t Redox use the exact same keys as an ergodox except for a few missing 1u’s at the thumbcluster?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

AbsoluteLlama posted:

You may want to at least try blank keycaps at some point though. It's way easier to find, and a lot cheaper. For more advanced layered layouts you aren't going to find keycaps with the correct layered legends anyway, and the letter keys should be the easiest to memorize.

I've never tried this but I'll bet it's easier than what I did as a young adult: changing all the keycaps on my Model M to read "HANS BLIX hosed MY WORGZ"

It was fine for touch-typing but rly confusing for video games like Civilization or Dwarf Fortress where I'd glance down to hit a certain key and almost always hit the wrong one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Doesn’t Redox use the exact same keys as an ergodox except for a few missing 1u’s at the thumbcluster?

No, it uses 1.25 and 1.5u keycaps for modifiers, ergodox uses 1.5 and 2u keycaps for modifiers + extra 1u modifiers

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Peanut Butler posted:

I've never tried this but I'll bet it's easier than what I did as a young adult: changing all the keycaps on my Model M to read "HANS BLIX hosed MY WORGZ"

It was fine for touch-typing but rly confusing for video games like Civilization or Dwarf Fortress where I'd glance down to hit a certain key and almost always hit the wrong one

Just wait for the keyboard bug to bite and you'll have a dedicated macropad with profiles for each game!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Brightened up my cheap-o keyboard with a new set of key caps. Now my office doesn't feel as dark.

Unicomp makes mac-specific keyboards if you like buckling springs.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 28, 2020

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

No, it uses 1.25 and 1.5u keycaps for modifiers, ergodox uses 1.5 and 2u keycaps for modifiers + extra 1u modifiers

Crap, was considering getting a Redox but that’s not gonna happen if I can’t use ergodox sets.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Techkeys has a single grenade doubleshot. It's not specifically SA related but it's not bad.
https://techkeys.us/products/grenade-key

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Crap, was considering getting a Redox but that’s not gonna happen if I can’t use ergodox sets.

yeah.

I had my Redox in my shopping cart on falba.tech and was mentally prepared to wait 3-4 weeks for assembly + shipping from poland, and while i was validating that i had all the keycaps that I needed + adding custom ones to my shopping cart at pimpmykeyboard, i came to the realisation that 225euro + 70$ for zelios + 60$ for modifier keys meant that i was going to be at 400$ total, and the original idea behind me getting a redox was to save money on a fully assembled ergonomic keyboard.

For $350 i can get an Ergodox EZ that also has hotswap sockets and way more keycap selections, so gently caress it. I've got big hands anyways.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Coronaboredom has led me to ordering the things needed to handwire a keyboard, and I accidentally had my plate shipped to the construction site across the street. Hopefully it works out when it gets here, but I don't have my fingers crossed. Is there any place to get plates from that doesn't involve shipping from China or paying through the nose to have something laser cut? For 3D printed plates, can you use PLA or is only ABS tough enough? Can you use a different material beneath a 1.5mm 3D printed plate for rigidity or do you need more structural support around the switches?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i just ordered my ergodox ez so I'm pretty amped about that :toot:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I wish you could still get a cheap board with gateron Clears.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I'm thinking of trying out an ortholinear keyboard because the OLKB Preonic is currently available. Does anybody have any experience with ortho keyboards?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah.

I had my Redox in my shopping cart on falba.tech and was mentally prepared to wait 3-4 weeks for assembly + shipping from poland, and while i was validating that i had all the keycaps that I needed + adding custom ones to my shopping cart at pimpmykeyboard, i came to the realisation that 225euro + 70$ for zelios + 60$ for modifier keys meant that i was going to be at 400$ total, and the original idea behind me getting a redox was to save money on a fully assembled ergonomic keyboard.

For $350 i can get an Ergodox EZ that also has hotswap sockets and way more keycap selections, so gently caress it. I've got big hands anyways.

I was planning to do the exact same and completely missed the fact the cap size is different.

Been looking at a Hot Dox 76 as well, but read some bad reviews in the past. It’s a lot cheaper though.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

I'm thinking of trying out an ortholinear keyboard because the OLKB Preonic is currently available. Does anybody have any experience with ortho keyboards?

I recently switched from 2 years of using a pok3r as daily driver to the Preonic. If you touch type the ortho layout will give you some problems with getting used to and you will make a million typos in the first (few) week(s). Just switched from Godspeed XDA to MT3 Serika and that caused no issues at all.

The different keymap for special character I use often also takes some time to get used to but I think that’ll be completely personal as it depends on how heavily you change the layouts. I kept mine fairly similar to a ‘normal’ layout but after 2-3 months using I still have some trouble remembering lesser used keys.

I do prefer it over my pok3r though.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

LochNessMonster posted:

I recently switched from 2 years of using a pok3r as daily driver to the Preonic. If you touch type the ortho layout will give you some problems with getting used to and you will make a million typos in the first (few) week(s). Just switched from Godspeed XDA to MT3 Serika and that caused no issues at all.

The different keymap for special character I use often also takes some time to get used to but I think that’ll be completely personal as it depends on how heavily you change the layouts. I kept mine fairly similar to a ‘normal’ layout but after 2-3 months using I still have some trouble remembering lesser used keys.

I do prefer it over my pok3r though.

Thanks, that‘s helpful. I currently use a Vortex Vibe with browns and an ISO layout, so the change will likely be noticeable, especially as I touch type. I will likely have to alter the layout of the Preonic a bit more, as I need umlauts.

That said, I have gotten used to many different layouts over the years and if it means that I have a keyboard where I don‘t move my hands around as much, it‘ll be worth it. Plus I get the chance to replace the browns, most likely with holy pandas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is colemak worth learning while I’m already learning a new layout? Or will it be too much at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is colemak worth learning while I’m already learning a new layout? Or will it be too much at once

I use colemak on a preonic and find both to be much more comfortable than the mainstream alternatives. I don't think learning them at the same time would be too much, especially as colemak isn't really all that different from qwerty, although I switched to colemak years before I got the ortho. If you're planning on getting a preonic, the default keymap also makes it easy to switch on the fly which is very useful.