Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

Can’t fault him for trying to enjoy himself during societal collapse, his whole relationship with orcs is way weird though. Wonder if he saw why Orc was trending on twitter today and how he grappled with that.

Anyways new page, it’s garbage.

Day 3 of this loving book and now he’s just repeating the same lines from days 1 and 2.

I'm the perfectly centered "hand written" text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel personally insulted as someone with an interest in religious mysticism.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TheHan posted:

Can’t fault him for trying to enjoy himself during societal collapse, his whole relationship with orcs is way weird though. Wonder if he saw why Orc was trending on twitter today and how he grappled with that.

I'm out of the loop; why was Orc trending?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm out of the loop; why was Orc trending?

Someone posted this

https://twitter.com/monkipiquinn/status/1254197453957459968?s=21

and a bunch of D&D nerds got mad someone would point out racism in D&D and started saying things like "Oh that means you believe PoC are savages? Clearly you're the racist!" and "Orcs are fictional, therefor there is no racism here!"

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

TheHan posted:

Anyways new page, it’s garbage.

Day 3 of this loving book and now he’s just repeating the same lines from days 1 and 2.

This is the kind of nonsense you write in high school to sound mystical and profound.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm not going to judge this. Dude wants to have fun with his hair during a very stressful time where everyone's stuck in their homes.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't really care about the hair, it's more amusing how timely the quote about wanting to be an orc is

That is amazing. I can't wait for Mookie's inevitable bad posts about why the d&d orc writeup isn't racist.

He looks like an extra from "the 100." But yeah, that's a harmless thing to do in quarantine. I miss going to my barber. I'm going to look like Mookie Classic by the time it's lifted.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the stack of bowls with hovering chopsticks in the bottom right.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

Someone posted this

https://twitter.com/monkipiquinn/status/1254197453957459968?s=21

and a bunch of D&D nerds got mad someone would point out racism in D&D and started saying things like "Oh that means you believe PoC are savages? Clearly you're the racist!" and "Orcs are fictional, therefor there is no racism here!"

Their tweets are protected now, what was it?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Their tweets are protected now, what was it?

An excerpt from the latest edition of D&D saying orcs are inherently bloodthirsty savage brutes, and even if they are not raised by orcish parents, they still have evil in their blood so will constantly struggle against their urge to rape and kill while attempting to navigate living a normal life.

It is somehow more racist against orcs than prior editions of D&D, which have always been super racist toward orcs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Invisible Clergy posted:

An excerpt from the latest edition of D&D saying orcs are inherently bloodthirsty savage brutes, and even if they are not raised by orcish parents, they still have evil in their blood so will constantly struggle against their urge to rape and kill while attempting to navigate living a normal life.

But enough about the Trump family.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fantasy racism and race essentialism in fiction and games is something I think about a lot, because I have brain worms, so I'm glad it's getting some attention. It's not hard to see how that sort of thing both is influenced by and influences real life racist tropes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The 5e half-orc writeup is honestly real bad, and has a lot of weird demi-racist subtext. There's specific dogwhistles like "half-orcs are violent and savage, but they're great dancers and love simple bodily pleasures" and "shopkeepers hide their valuable goods when a half-orc comes into the shop".

quote:

...half-orcs feel emotion powerfully. Rage doesn't just quicken their pulse, it makes their bodies burn. An insult stings like acid, and sadness saps their strength. But they laugh loudly and heartily, and simple bodily pleasures - feasting, drinking, wrestling, drumming, and wild dancing - fill their hearts with joy. They tend to be short-tempered and sometimes sullen, more inclined to action than contemplation and to fighting than arguing. The most accomplished half-orcs are those with enough self-control to get by in a civilized land.

-

It's usually safe to assume that a half-orc is belligerent and quick to anger, so people watch themselves around an unfamiliar half-orc. Shopkeepers might surreptitiously hide valuable or fragile goods when a half-orc comes in, and people slowly clear out of a tavern, assuming a fight will break out soon.

There's also a lot of stuff about the natural depravity of orcs being ameliorated by "human blood", so you get stuff like this:

quote:

Some half-orcs rise to become proud chiefs of orc tribes, their human blood giving them an edge over their full-blooded orc rivals.

-

...it was often true that a bit of human blood gave a warrior just the right mix of cunning, ambition, and self-discipline to go far indeed, as Mhurren had. He was master of a tribe that could muster two thousand spears, and the strongest chief in Thar.

...which is also reminiscent of a lot of unpleasant racist dogma. The writeup specifically strays over the line of "here are the prejudices people have about half-orcs" and into "these prejudices, which in many ways mirror real life racism, are actually materially true at the genetic level".

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What would you call the original write-up for the Kender in Dragonlance, where they're said to be wonderful people but the way they write it makes them sound unpleasant and annoying?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
"Damning with faint praise?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

This made me absolutely cackle. Thank you.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

What would you call the original write-up for the Kender in Dragonlance, where they're said to be wonderful people but the way they write it makes them sound unpleasant and annoying?

Designated Protagonists?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

SardonicTyrant posted:

Image for anyone who isn't familiar.

That's a reasonable question. Kender are consistently portrayed as white, and unlike orcs, whose racist writeups are just copypasta from racist screeds about black people, there is not a clear 1:1 who the kender are supposed to be standins for, and they do not physically resemble any specific real-world group. They are a race of Mary Sues. Their behavior is objectively annoying and terrible, but the book says they're cute and lovable.

Contrast vampire the masquerade's extremely racist Ravnos clan, who look like and are Romani people whose clan curse is that they just loving love crime because it's in their blood. Like the orc stuff, the problem isn't just that it perpetuates harmful stereotypes about real minority groups, but that it says these beliefs are factually true within the setting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Fantasy racism and race essentialism in fiction and games is something I think about a lot, because I have brain worms, so I'm glad it's getting some attention. It's not hard to see how that sort of thing both is influenced by and influences real life racist tropes.
It's been going on since Tolkien excreted lord of the rings, but it's really nice to see it getting more traction in the cultural mainstream. If you're interested in further reading and the topic is novel to you, this article (and its part 2) is a good overview and jumping off point.

Android Blues posted:

The 5e half-orc writeup is honestly real bad, and has a lot of weird demi-racist subtext. There's specific dogwhistles like "half-orcs are violent and savage, but they're great dancers and love simple bodily pleasures" and "shopkeepers hide their valuable goods when a half-orc comes into the shop".

There's also a lot of stuff about the natural depravity of orcs being ameliorated by "human blood", so you get stuff like this:

...which is also reminiscent of a lot of unpleasant racist dogma. The writeup specifically strays over the line of "here are the prejudices people have about half-orcs" and into "these prejudices, which in many ways mirror real life racism, are actually materially true at the genetic level".
It's overtly racist. There isn't anything demi about it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's a reasonable question. Kender are consistently portrayed as white, and unlike orcs, whose racist writeups are just copypasta from racist screeds about black people, there is not a clear 1:1 who the kender are supposed to be standins for, and they do not physically resemble any specific real-world group. They are a race of Mary Sues. Their behavior is objectively annoying and terrible, but the book says they're cute and lovable.

Apparently Tracy Hickman didn't want a race that could be thieves, but still wanted players to be able to have the skills typically associated with thieves. So he made the Kender be annoying assholes who are pure and good and wonderful and also just take things they like but they're not really stealing so it's totally different!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Were Kenders the ones who gave us that one bizarre illustration of an elf either having the biggest laugh of his life or screaming hard enough to start ripping his soul out?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Heliotrope posted:

Apparently Tracy Hickman didn't want a race that could be thieves, but still wanted players to be able to have the skills typically associated with thieves. So he made the Kender be annoying assholes who are pure and good and wonderful and also just take things they like but they're not really stealing so it's totally different!
Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that. Terrible.

Regalingualius posted:

Were Kenders the ones who gave us that one bizarre illustration of an elf either having the biggest laugh of his life or screaming hard enough to start ripping his soul out?

I assume you're talking about

Leif here. This is by pf, who doesn't have the rights to kender since they are not OGL. This is a normal, not annoying halfling wooing this lady.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For Hickman it was a moral issue because dude is extremely Mormon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that. Terrible.

I assume you're talking about

Leif here. This is by pf, who doesn't have the rights to kender since they are not OGL. This is a normal, not annoying halfling wooing this lady.

That’s the one, yes!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Invisible Clergy posted:

Children. I mean, their name is basically the German word for children ("Kinder", pronounced with a short i, not like the English comparative kinder). They're mischievous and inquisitive and they often cause trouble but adults are still compelled to forgive them because they're adorable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the specific child being the Artful Dodger

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Children. I mean, their name is basically the German word for children ("Kinder", pronounced with a short i, not like the English comparative kinder). They're mischievous and inquisitive and they often cause trouble but adults are still compelled to forgive them because they're adorable.

Fair enough. That's probably true. I should have been clearer and said there is no minority group who kender are intended as a parallel for. I interpreted SardonicTyrant's comment as asking whether the writeup on kender was racist like the orc writeups, so I explained why i don't think it is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

children are an age of minority group

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

Ugh this is just loving vile to read, although the other races' reactions to them is pretty funny. They seem to be universally reviled, so why does the author keep going on and on about how sad it makes other people when they're sad?

I kind of want to play an Evil-aligned Kender just to turn this background on its head - he'd have all the personality quirks outlined there, but use them to gaslight and emotionally manipulate everyone around there. Honestly, that sounds MORE plausible than that description.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ugh this is just loving vile to read, although the other races' reactions to them is pretty funny. They seem to be universally reviled, so why does the author keep going on and on about how sad it makes other people when they're sad?

I kind of want to play an Evil-aligned Kender just to turn this background on its head - he'd have all the personality quirks outlined there, but use them to gaslight and emotionally manipulate everyone around there. Honestly, that sounds MORE plausible than that description.

Lalafells in FF14 have a bit of this going on. Some lalafells are cute and fun, like toddlers on an adventure. ...And some are ruthless, greedy capitalists, pulling strings from the shadows of the capital after manipulating their way to the top. The lovely rich rear end in a top hat lalafells can flip the "oh no not me I'm a dumb baby" switch in an instant

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This race already exists. They're statted up in the book of vile darkness and are called Jerren, evil halflings who are basically the equivalent of the human-like Vashar. They're pretty neat.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Even already knowing DnD's messy history with race actually reading it is just :staredog:

Oh and new page.

Arudak's reading all the diary entries and he knows they're poo poo too.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Love how Ink Witch continues to be Snout's Mom Girlfriend

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
"Wait, he doesn't even know her name?" -Arudak

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Babe! It's Friday, time for your dick flattening!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

Even already knowing DnD's messy history with race actually reading it is just :staredog:

Oh and new page.

Arudak's reading all the diary entries and he knows they're poo poo too.

Araduk is actually reading the script for the rest of the series.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

R...rock on...

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

This is the gesture/expression you make when your dog fails an intelligence test but you don’t want them to feel bad about themselves

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Um, why would you let him read your diary? What is there to gain from that? Scratch that, why would HE like to read your diary?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

evilmiera posted:

Um, why would you let him read your diary? What is there to gain from that? Scratch that, why would HE like to read your diary?

Arudak: "And what, he just let the plant grab him?"
Inkwich: "Yeah, it's in there."
Arudak: "There's no way your pet mutt could be that stupid."
Inkwich: "Honest Injun. Check it out, it's in that lovely diary he has with him. It's the only other book in this rathole that doesn't have the word 'cumslut' in the title."
Arudak: "Fine. If it's not in there though, you owe me ten mongrelbux."
Inkwich: "If you don't laugh before page five, I'll give you twenty."
Arudak: "You're sure he can't hear us?"
Inkwich: "Nah, he just does pretty much whatever I tell him. Check this poo poo out, I'm gonna pat his head like a dog."
Arudak (cracking the book): "Ahaha holy poo poo, priceless."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Man, imagine if this is how she finds out that he’s been sleeping nude next to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Agaragon posted:

"Wait, he doesn't even know her name?" -Arudak

"YOU BLEW UP HIS HOUSE?"