Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Throwing grenade. Takes cover. Waits turn. Left arm is hit by many fragments by explosion down hall around corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Oh hey I just discovered that the books I have that teach computers beyond 3 have a morale penalty that stacks while you read them. Very cool and fun

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Oh hey I just discovered that the books I have that teach computers beyond 3 have a morale penalty that stacks while you read them. Very cool and fun

i mean, have you met any yospos posters before

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat did focus always make your character complete and utter poo poo at moving and fighting in the past? My fleet footed, quick, parkour expert character can't outrun a fat zombie over sofas when their focus dips below 30.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, apparently morale, pain, encumbrance, terrain, and enemy-inflicted status effects weren't enough ways to slow your character down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leal posted:

drat did focus always make your character complete and utter poo poo at moving and fighting in the past? My fleet footed, quick, parkour expert character can't outrun a fat zombie over sofas when their focus dips below 30.

Are you sure it's Focus? Stamina has a huge effect on movement speed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tin Tim posted:

Computing 301 or whatever?

Yeah reading it made my guy borderline suicidal I think lmao

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Things have been going pretty good so far. Don't have a ton of gear, but I found a working electric semi and a decent ruined cabin to camp in. The city is far away and on the other side of a river, I think I'm going to take a bit to salvage what I can nearby and practice some skills.

Got a what I think is some kind of spider pit nearby - no spiders on the surface yet, but I there's a hole down a z level full of webs. I might try to clear it out before I leave. Maybe with fire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I remember someone mentioning something was funky with gun mods a while back, that most of them weren't worth using because even if they increased the aim speed a tiny bit the extra volume/weight they added to the gun actually caused a net LOSS in aiming speed. However I think a few mods were mentioned as being ok and safe to use?

What am I looking for. I found an airdrop (maybe? It was a bunch of crates sitting in the forest on the side of the road) with some explosives, and MBR Vest*, and a rather sweet SIG 552 which I wanted to look into kitting out. Still haven't found a welding device yet... I might have to study electronics and build a lovely one, but I also barely have any batteries and AFAIK the homemade arc welder devours batteries.

* Empty, which is fine, since I don't think I'd want to suffer the encumbrance penalties of sticking various kinds of plates in.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What am I looking for.

Ah, the age-old question

The funny thing is that whenever I ask myself this, the answer that lingers in the back of my head is "if you don't go out looking for poo poo you won't die" because I almost always die because I go off to do stupid poo poo in search for just one more to finish whatever project I'm at. I think Mechanics is a great quest to go on since a mobile home is the real thing that shifts you into a long-term plan

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ah, the age-old question

The funny thing is that whenever I ask myself this, the answer that lingers in the back of my head is "if you don't go out looking for poo poo you won't die" because I almost always die because I go off to do stupid poo poo in search for just one more to finish whatever project I'm at. I think Mechanics is a great quest to go on since a mobile home is the real thing that shifts you into a long-term plan

For some reason when I went back and turned a rambling paragraph into two smaller ones I put that in the wrong spot, I meant it in a "what am I looking to use" for gun mods.

I *know* what I'm looking for... a loving Welder! Also a suitably impressive religious artifact for some martial arts guy I met who is just chilling in a cabin at the edge of a road.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Computing 301 or whatever?

Yeah reading it made my guy borderline suicidal I think lmao

301 is where they introduce proofs of how big-O a bunch of algorithms are so...IRL accurate.

E: Good news, your character knows the difference between NFAs and DFAs and can tell you exactly what a red black tree is. Bad news, your character now has alcohol addiction [100].

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Things have been going pretty good so far. Don't have a ton of gear, but I found a working electric semi and a decent ruined cabin to camp in. The city is far away and on the other side of a river, I think I'm going to take a bit to salvage what I can nearby and practice some skills.

Got a what I think is some kind of spider pit nearby - no spiders on the surface yet, but I there's a hole down a z level full of webs. I might try to clear it out before I leave. Maybe with fire.

:ghanian pallbearer gif:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Being serious for a moment:

SIG552 sounds like a good idea except you can’t cram it into an XL holster and an M4A1+silencer will fit in a survivor harness.

(Real) Arc welders exist in city garages and rarely in the rural 3-tile gas station+garage. The radio shack type electronics stores (the ones that don’t have bars on the windows) have a shitload of medium batteries inside food processors and dehydrators.

E: Makeshift arc welder will work if you find/attach a recharge station to a vehicle and have at least 2 medium batteries and a way to recharge the vehicle. If you have the materials/skills, a vehicle welding rig will cut down on real world RSI from reloading your arc welder.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 29, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I say diassemble terminals in shops and use the parts to make UPSs. 1500 battery each and don't have to be unloaded/slotted in/unloaded again etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've only discovered a couple garages in this game and haven't had any luck. I've yet to wander into one of the larger cities I scouted a couple days ago, will probably do that after I'm finishing assembling some more basic gear. [edit] Can Hardware stores have welding devices?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

SIG552 sounds like a good idea except you can’t cram it into an XL holster and an M4A1+silencer will fit in a survivor harness.

Well, I compared the 552 to an M27 and it had better aim stats and IIRC the first game I played earlier this week an M27 was better than an M4A1. I could be wrong, but whatever, the important thing is the SIG552 looks cooler, IMO.

Also since I had Magiclysm and Aftershock enabled at the thread's suggestion, I remembered I found a "Magic for Dummies" scroll that contained a few basic spells and now I can summon a floating lightball for 15 minutes. :downs: There was also magic missile and a very short ranged random teleport, but I decided I'd hold off on those because a quick skim look into magiclysm showed they belong to some kind of magic school and taking certain magic schools locks you out of others. They also seemed mostly useless, though actually Magic Missile seems like it'd be modestly powerful (large pistol bulletish) with extensive practice.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bingo, the M4A1 and M17 aren’t the best guns in the game but they’re good enough and you don’t have to worry where you’re getting your next 5.56/9x19 from so you will actually use them.

Counterpoint is the miltech caseless rounds: sure I’m going to keep these around for a big bad. *sees a skeletal juggernaut* *fixes problem with a shitload of 5.56*

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 29, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I don't know poo poo about guns, but the M4A1 has the advantage that it seems like nearly every damned zombie soldier and dead body of a soldier has one, so if you're patient enough to unload everything, you can end up with a fair pile of ammo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wolfechu posted:

I don't know poo poo about guns, but the M4A1 has the advantage that it seems like nearly every damned zombie soldier and dead body of a soldier has one, so if you're patient enough to unload everything, you can end up with a fair pile of ammo.

SIG552s use the same ammo (5.56x45 NATO) and even the same magazines (STANAGs). Hurray for the STANdardization AGreement! :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The correct answer at all times is to run back to your armored and armed DeathMobile and touch the “holy poo poo kill everything” button.

That button is hilarious but gated behind electronics 5, computer 5, and mechanics 3:
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/turret_controls/craft

E: I did a gimmick/not really? build with 1x M2 surrounded by 4x M249s. Not optimal but loving lol when I had to run back to the car being followed by a shitload of brutes, a couple shockers, and a skeletal juggernaut.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 29, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Galaga Galaxian posted:

SIG552s use the same ammo (5.56x45 NATO) and even the same magazines (STANAGs). Hurray for the STANdardization AGreement! :v:

See, I said I don't know poo poo about guns ;)

I have been in situations where I've managed to take down a turret and that meant ammo forever, but the hard part is getting that turret down to start with.

I really just use whatever I've managed to loot a lot of, most of the times. It's a rare character that manages to get to a point where I'm jumping into labs and such.

Case in point yesterday, which was probably my stupidest death to date: Dropping the stack of loot I'd just brought home, along with the joint I'd just lit. My entire house went up like it was doused in kerosene.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Turret pro tip: they don’t have night vision. If you have a source of light that you can throw, step back around a corner to activate it, then throw it so the turret is lit but you aren’t. If you can’t do that, shift-X around the corner, memorize where it is, and run a couple tiles back before you send an aimed burst at the tile it’s on. All tips assume you are in a very dark tile.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cripes, I nearly just died checking the three hardware stores in the med-large sized city nearby. No Welders and I got trapped in a back room with only one exit by a random assortment of zombies who apparently followed me in. Fortunately I managed to beat my way through them with my staff, but not before I took some decent injuries and they did some serious damage to my new Nomad gear and stowage bits.

Lesson Learned, turn the loving MP3 player off while raiding, the mood boost isn't worth missing that Zombies were smashing their way through the storefront.

I think I'm just gonna hit the electrician books I've got and just loving make a welder. :negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turret pro tip: they don’t have night vision. If you have a source of light that you can throw, step back around a corner to activate it, then throw it so the turret is lit but you aren’t. If you can’t do that, shift-X around the corner, memorize where it is, and run a couple tiles back before you send an aimed burst at the tile it’s on. All tips assume you are in a very dark tile.

If you do this, make very certain that the aimed burst will be sufficient to kill it. Because if it survives it will return fire and kill you instantly.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

/\ truth

Hardware stores exist for farming stuff. They won’t have anything more useful than a nail gun*.

Look for garages, they will have multiple welding goggles, a shitload of acetylene plus torches, and probably a real arc welder.

*Nail gun is a great way to train up handgun skill. Shoot the ammo at a target all day, there’s more where that came from.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also turn a nail gun into a nail rifle to train rifles skill.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know about checking garages, I just can’t find any garages that aren’t part of a farm and those ones just seem to have a junked tractor and some farm gear in them. I’ve revealed a decent chunk of map by climbing silos and radio towers with a telescope and I’ve not found a single garage that’s wasn’t part of a farm (and only two of those).

I guess I should just take my motorcycle out and start scouting even further...

Tomorrow, anyways. I’ve stayed up way too late yet again thanks to this game.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If you find a ranch, just murder everyone there and burn it down. They will pretend to be friends at first but then ask you for dumb things.

Imperator goatsestretchgoals, we need 500 nails.

*burns nearest building down*

Now we need 20 blankets.

Fucker could you have told me that before I burnt down the apartment tower?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 29, 2020

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The Lone Badger posted:

You can also turn a nail gun into a nail rifle to train rifles skill.

This isn't true in experimental any more :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bullet Crossbow is relatively easy to make and uses pebbles and trains rifle.

Needs a book for the recipe though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So I'm thinking about building a recharging station for storage batteries. My current method is to hook them into a stationary car I've set up and use the motor to generate the charge. Can I just make like four frames with a battery each and solar panels on top? They don't need to charge that fast and it's fine if they just passively gather some juice over the course of a day. Though I wouldn't be against building something that charges them faster than the car I use right now. Takes like a day to charge a storage battery this way

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 29, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

:ghanian pallbearer gif:
Fair, but I think I'm a little stuck as to what I should do - this is first game that I haven't been slaughtered immediately. I've found a decent spot for a breather, there's enough acorns and forage for me to live off vegetable sandwiches for a while, and I'm not sure how long I should spend building the place up. I need to hit the city to get more tools - at least a wrench.
But the city is really far away, not on the same map screen, on the other side of the river, and the only bridge is almost as far in the other direction.

And I just realized there's a roadblock with at least a riot turret in the way. I don't know if I can drive a semi through a roadblock or not, I might have to take it across the fields and hope for the best.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

So I'm thinking about building a recharging station for storage batteries. My current method is to hook them into a stationary car I've set up and use the motor to generate the charge. Can I just make like four frames with a battery each and solar panels on top? They don't need to charge that fast and it's fine if they just passively gather some juice over the course of a day. Though I wouldn't be against building something that charges them faster than the car I use right now. Takes like a day to charge a storage battery this way

I'm rusty and I think solars changed since I used them last, but as long as you got frames with solar panels in sunlight the "vehicle" will generate battery power. Storage batteries are different then car batteries in that they don't have to be on the same tile as the power generator. So you could have frames outside with panels and frames inside with batteries if you want.

E: But to answer your question yes that should work.

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 29, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

And I just realized there's a roadblock with at least a riot turret in the way. I don't know if I can drive a semi through a roadblock or not, I might have to take it across the fields and hope for the best.

Something you can cheese with turrets is that they only seem to care about living (or unliving) things. If the side of the road is clear you can drive offroad to the side of the roadblock and crouch and the turret wont shoot at you as you drive past :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

If it’s an actual riot turret, it has 6x 40mm beanbag rounds. They will bounce harmlessly off your windshield or you could just facetank them on foot. If it’s a pair of M249 CROWS, don’t try it without reinforced windshields but each one of them has 1500+ rounds of sweet sweet 5.56 so you _want_ to ram/shoot them.

E: Turrets outside of buildings are opportunities, not problems.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 29, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Leal posted:

I'm rusty and I think solars changed since I used them last, but as long as you got frames with solar panels in sunlight the "vehicle" will generate battery power. Storage batteries are different then car batteries in that they don't have to be on the same tile as the power generator. So you could have frames outside with panels and frames inside with batteries if you want.

E: But to answer your question yes that should work.
Neato. For now I think I'll just use the electric car I found at the start as my charging station since it has upgraded panels. But at some point I'm gonna dismantle it and rebuild it as a sort of charging array.

Also I'm probably gonna instal a storage battery and a fridge into my loot truck for hunting purposes so that I can preserve the meat a bit better while I can batches of it. Smoked/dehydrated stuff is nice and all but canned food is really where it's at imo. It just takes a while to make and even a root cellar dosn't help that much with keeping the other meats fresh enough I feel

E: Turrets outside of buildings are opportunities, not problems.
What weapons are recommended to fight mechanical enemies? Like can you just take them out with an M4 or do you need something more serious?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Outside, a fully enclosed vehicle with a turret. Inside (or without a deathmobile outside), use the fact they can’t see in the dark. An M4A1 will drop any CROWS turret in a single burst...if you hit it, and if it doesn’t hit you first.

If you let an M249 turret hit you, you are at best spending 2-3 days licking your wounds, and at worst looking at a new character. An M240 or M2 turret will straight kill you unless you get very lucky.

E: And even if you get to shoot at one that can’t see you (light amp goggles, lab lighting, etc), be 100% sure that you will hit it on your first burst. They are smart enough to shoot back at you even if they can’t see you.

A CROWS turret can make your run (hundreds of rounds of ammo and links, a chance to get the MG that fires that ammo) but it’s one of the few things in the game that can also end your run in a single turn.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 29, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Turrets have 4 tiles of night vision, and will return fire at shots aimed at it in the darkness.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLHSUVtvR4

Also for outdoors turrets, the 308 guns, like the modded to hell and back sniper that some of the tougher military zombies drop is good for ranging the 5.56 turrets like the CROWS.

Be aware though that one of the recent PR's has added the military spotlights to roadblocks, so the night isn't as safe as it used to be.

edit: Almost forgot what I was going to say originally.

Pocket labs are a great way to recruit NPC's. There can be locked rooms with 4 or so broken cyborgs in them. A control laptop can make them friendly, and then you can walk into them and turn them off. Put the deactivated cyborg on the auto doc (There is usually one in that particular room.) and remove the control chip. If you are successful then you'll get an NPC that you can try and recruit right there via intimidation or friendliness, depending on if your a big growly monster or not.

Then you can use the auto doc to remove their acid damage bionic, that's the only one that will cause them to die over time. The rest can be removed at leisure. I'm slowly looting a lab and pulling the bionics out of cyborg friends so I can have them run my chop shop. It takes some time, but I've gotten so many good spare parts from all the tech stuff like piles of power converters and what not loaded up in my police car turned boxtruck. If you fail on the cyborgs and they die, then it's not a loss either, they have a lot of functioning bionics you can cut out of their corpses, like all the alloy platings.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks, now I can assess the threat much better! I would assume the same line of logic also goes for mechanical enemies like security bots?

Though I wonder if you can sorta tank some 5.56/7.62 rounds with an ESAPI ballistic vest? I have one sitting in my storage and thought I should keep it it there until I run into a military location that I seriously want to raid

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Pocket labs are a great way to recruit NPC's.
Lol that sounds awesome! I still haven't really delved into NPCs and what they can do for you. The one I recruited on accident has been ordered to perma-guard in my base until I figure out how to utilize them correctly. I think they can chop wood for you? That would be a good start

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tin Tim posted:

Though I wonder if you can sorta tank some 5.56/7.62 rounds with an ESAPI ballistic vest? I have one sitting in my storage and thought I should keep it it there until I run into a military location that I seriously want to raid

ESAPI are stupidly strong BUT they only cover your chest and only have 85% coverage there. So your limbs and head could easily get hit and even a torso hit has a roughly 1-in-6 chance of ignoring the vest.