Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sonderval posted:

Looking for some sci fi recommendations.

Currently going back through my kindle cos I cant get to my book collection during lock down. Need a nice long sci fi series to burn through or a few long stand alone books. I have read ... a lot of stuff but nothing in the last few years (I think it’s hard to keep track) so I guess anything good and modern?

Grabbed Steel Frame on the sci fi thread recommendation and that was pretty good. Just need something a bit longer to pass the time.
The Culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks, I have read all the culture books and pretty much everything Else Ian (M) Banks has done.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

looking for books about the history of Catholic saints, monastic orders, and the like. I have an Oxford Dictionary of Saints but want some more detail.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

looking for books about the history of Catholic saints, monastic orders, and the like. I have an Oxford Dictionary of Saints but want some more detail.

Sean Kelly's Saints Preserve Us! isn't particularly serious but it's a decent reference guide to saints. The companion volume, Who In Hell... is a good read too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

poisonpill posted:

Strong agree on Halliburton. A lot of fun.

I want to recommend a book for a friend, genre agnostic. Criteria are good, fun, compelling characters, with an engaging story and some level of escapist setting. Cosy cottage mysteries, King Solomon's Mines, that kind of thing. Good (but not junk) reading for stress relief, ideally not relating to a global pandemic.

King of the Khyber Rifles by Talbot Mundy.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sonderval posted:

Thanks, I have read all the culture books and pretty much everything Else Ian (M) Banks has done.

Have you done the Kim Stanley Robinson Mars stuff yet?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend a modern drama book? I read The Vegetarian and it was weird but there were some dramatic moments.

Also any recommended super near sci-fi books? Something like Seveneves where something dramatic happens.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

err posted:

Can anyone recommend a modern drama book? I read The Vegetarian and it was weird but there were some dramatic moments.

Also any recommended super near sci-fi books? Something like Seveneves where something dramatic happens.

So many hard sf books fit the bill. Consider: Spin, Rendezvous With Rama, Pushing Ice, The Three-Body Problem, Contact.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm looking for recommendations for a couple of books for some reading times ahead. I'm interested in books in the western genre, inspired by a recent bout of playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm a big fan of Blood Meridian, the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, literature about the Donner Party, etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be fiction, although I primarily am looking for fiction, as I've enjoyed reading the historical sources behind Blood Meridian.

I'm also looking for some books that take place in colonies, preferably Pacific Ocean colonial life, although literature themed on American slavery might be interesting too. I really enjoyed reading the sections taking place in the Pacific Ocean in Cloud Atlas and stuff like Kafka's In the Penal Colony.

Also - and I'll finish up after this - sci-fi literature describing "life as it goes on" in the future, stuff like Alien minus the horror, e.g. fairly regular drama literature about future space miners (I enjoy The Expanse).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

On The Beach might check the marks for your last category there, it’s very much “a day in the life after all-out nuclear war”

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

For westerns, this may be so obvious you've read it already but True Grit by Charles Portis is really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

csidle posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a couple of books for some reading times ahead. I'm interested in books in the western genre, inspired by a recent bout of playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm a big fan of Blood Meridian, the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, literature about the Donner Party, etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be fiction, although I primarily am looking for fiction, as I've enjoyed reading the historical sources behind Blood Meridian.

Warlock by Oakley Hall

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

csidle posted:

Also - and I'll finish up after this - sci-fi literature describing "life as it goes on" in the future, stuff like Alien minus the horror, e.g. fairly regular drama literature about future space miners (I enjoy The Expanse).

Trouble on Triton by Samuel R. Delany

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Humerus posted:

For westerns, this may be so obvious you've read it already but True Grit by Charles Portis is really good.

I’ve always wanted to read his previous book Norwood but have never been able to find a cheap copy. I hear it’s also a great read.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve always wanted to read his previous book Norwood but have never been able to find a cheap copy. I hear it’s also a great read.

It is. Funny, light picaresque novel. It's not a western, though. It's currently $2 on kindle. (As are the rest of his novels, currently.)

I'm surprised used copies are going for $30+ right now?? I bought in new in paperback for $8 and sold it a few years ago when I was downsizing my collection. It's less than 200 pages, and really only takes an afternoon or two to read, so I'd say grabbing it on kindle until a new affordable edition is published is a safe bet.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So, this is a bit of an odd request. I'm looking for a collection of short stories or non-fiction articles that are weird and interesting. Thing is, I read a bit to my girlfriend most nights before we go to sleep and we've burnt through most everything I had on the backburner in the past couple months of corona curfew.

For some examples:
This year, we've read the No Such Thing as a Fish Book of the Year 2019
Elise's old blog- http://www.endofshiftreport.com/2015/07/my-name-is-elise.html
and the greatest hit is definitely The Alameda-Weehawken Burrito Tunnel

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 30, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fruits of the sea posted:

So, this is a bit of an odd request. I'm looking for a collection of short stories or non-fiction articles that are weird and interesting. Thing is, I read a bit to my girlfriend most nights before we go to sleep and we've burnt through most everything I had on the backburner in the past couple months of corona curfew.

For some examples:

Metamagical Themas is a collection of Scientific American columns / essays by Douglas Hofstadter that deal with typically-Hofstadterish things -- free will, AI, game theory, philosophy, morality, fonts. They're super interesting but maybe too weighty for bedtime stories.

E: for an example of his writing, search 'Douglas Hofstadter careenium'. It should be the second link. For some reason I can't link it from mobile, maybe because it's a pdf.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 1, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

For some examples:

Maybe Bryson’s “At Home”? It’s a bunch of more-or-less apocryphal stories about like, why salt and pepper at the table? Or why are old British houses called “Hall”? I really liked it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

You might enjoy Ricky Jay's Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women, which is a history of various carnival sideshow acts.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

My two favorite books are Pushing Ice and House of Suns, both by Alistair Reynolds (I’ve read basically everything he’s written). My wife calls it the “sentient spaceship genre”, but I really like books set over long time periods where the author really explores how people adapt to changing circumstances.

I also really liked Children of Time and some of Asimov’s stuff like Foundation, The End of Eternity, and The Gods Themselves.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I need a recommendation that will hook me back into reading. When I’ve been into a series, reading the next chapter is on my mind all day and it’s great.

Genre doesn’t matter, but I prefer fantasy, horror, and sci-fi:

-a series of books
-exciting, has some hooks to draw me in. I think this is the most important one.
-doesn’t poo poo the bed with poorly written characters

Books/series I’ve loved (I know some of these are probably looked down on.. help me be better!)
-Song of Ice and Fire
-LoTR
-Blindsight/Firefall by Peter Watts
-The Laundry Files series
-Dune
-Three Body Problem
(As a kid/teenager: Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth)

Couldn’t get into MBotF, Dresden Files, Name of the Wind

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union books are a safe bet. Merchanter's Luck and Rimrunners are good, representative places to start.

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books are also good.

They aren't in the genres you mentioned, but Raymond Chandler's books about Philip Marlowe would probably fit your bill too.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Great! Thank you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tenacious J posted:

I need a recommendation that will hook me back into reading. When I’ve been into a series, reading the next chapter is on my mind all day and it’s great.

-a series of books
-exciting, has some hooks to draw me in. I think this is the most important one.

Books/series I’ve loved (I know some of these are probably looked down on.. help me be better!)
-Song of Ice and Fire
-LoTR
-Dune
-Three Body Problem

Check out Children of Time as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tenacious J posted:

-a series of books

-Song of Ice and Fire
-LoTR
-Dune
-Three Body Problem

The Black Company series

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations! We're starting with Bill Bryson.

Selachian posted:

You might enjoy Ricky Jay's Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women, which is a history of various carnival sideshow acts.

This looks fascinating, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be published as an ebook and isn't available for buying or borrowing in my country. Archive.org does seem to have a copy for borrowing, but something about their email registration system is borked. Arrgh

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

David Eagleman's Sum
Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky's Memories of the Future
The Best American Series is generally excellent and covers a wide range
pretty much anything by Kafka, Ted Chiang, Ray Bradbury, Ursula K LeGuin, or Philip K Dick

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

For some examples:

how weird are we talking? today i wrote nothing by daniil kharms gets pretty weird, but it's also great. some short stories, some flash fiction, some poetry.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

csidle posted:

Late to this party but you should read Larry McMurtry. Start with Lonesome Dove, which is incredible. Then there’s an omnibus called The Berrybender Narratives which is also well worth a read if you like LD.

The Big Sky is also a good one.

Also consider Texas and/or Centennial by James Michener.

That’s about 4000 pages of content right there, so you should be set.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

csidle posted:

I just started Pekka Hamalainen's book on The Comanche Empire and it's pretty fascinating.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, thread, long shot here, but how about a book about the history of surf culture in Hawaii? Or maybe just a good non-fiction about Hawaii? I could use a book that has chill island vibes to take me away.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Okay, thread, long shot here, but how about a book about the history of surf culture in Hawaii? Or maybe just a good non-fiction about Hawaii? I could use a book that has chill island vibes to take me away.

Not sure of a book but I was just listening to Gabby Pahinui and Ry Cooder's collaboration and that is about as chill island vibes you will find anywhere, so a good soundtrack for whatever you find?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kart Barfunkel posted:

James Michener's Hawaii but I'd actually recommend his short nonfiction collection _Rascals in Paradise _.

The Charlie Chan mystery books are set in Hawaii also.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Brandon Sanderson’s Way of Kings is the free Tor book of the month.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s also available today only.

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/1257297792277643267

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

You couldn’t pay me to read that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

You couldn’t pay me to read that.

Thanks for letting us know.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

what's a good book on the history of radio in the UK? especially looking for one that goes into pirate radio, how it worked, how it developed, etc

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What's the best book about Muhammad Ali? I know he has some autobiographies, is one better than the other? Is there a particular biography that's better than the others?

I'm more interested in the boxing/sports side of things but wouldn't mind just reading about his life in general either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

csidle posted:

I'm also looking for some books that take place in colonies, preferably Pacific Ocean colonial life, although literature themed on American slavery might be interesting too. I really enjoyed reading the sections taking place in the Pacific Ocean in Cloud Atlas and stuff like Kafka's In the Penal Colony.

While it doesn't hit any of those specific marks I have a feeling you'd really enjoy C. S. Forester's The General