Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, there is the issue that typical parking locations for watercraft tend to eat them if left alone.

Great example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suisun_Bay_Reserve_Fleet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've worked with a couple old warships/floating museums, and yeah, they struggle to keep the hulls from rusting through and maintaining a staff of docents as it is, costs to maintain the engineering plant on a working example would be ruinous.

Especially if you have a bunch of geezers maintaining it and you blow a steam line, or god forbid a boiler.

Some old warships still sail though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elviscat posted:

Your best bet would be to replace the steam plant with an Ultra Low Speed Diesel or two, steam plant requires at least a crew of 100+ to keep running and fired, even with oil boilers.

Y'know for when that happens.

P.S. plz hire me to be an engineer on your Battleship cum Yacht.
All AI goons are welcome aboard the cum yacht.
I'll need people to help keep the thing running.
I'll provide beer, someone bring the bailing wire.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

gently caress the Mustangs, I would have got a Corsair :colbert:

Mustangs killed a lot of people. Edsels, repulsed them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

I've worked with a couple old warships/floating museums, and yeah, they struggle to keep the hulls from rusting through and maintaining a staff of docents as it is, costs to maintain the engineering plant on a working example would be ruinous.

Especially if you have a bunch of geezers maintaining it and you blow a steam line, or god forbid a boiler.

Some old warships still sail though.

Indeed. The Battleship Texas has been fighting that fight for quite a while, to the point that they were or are investigating a way to dry dock it. I haven’t looked at the current status lately.

Edit: if I were closer, I’d look into volunteering on her, but,alas, she’s 300 miles south of me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Indeed. The Battleship Texas has been fighting that fight for quite a while, to the point that they were or are investigating a way to dry dock it. I haven’t looked at the current status lately.

Edit: if I were closer, I’d look into volunteering on her, but,alas, she’s 300 miles south of me.

poo poo, for a minute I thought you were talking about the one built in 1892, not BB 35.....
Too bad carriers are pretty much kings of the sea, Battle ships were so fuckin sweet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

"Looks like gently caress but it passed inspection 20 years ago!"

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 29, 2020

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Looks like gently caress but it passed inspection 20 years ago!"

I've never seen a comma used in the year before.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
kept covered with water and mold

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
It's relevant to the battleship discussion because it looks like it has been stored in the ocean.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
tan gold. a/c not working but whatever, i'd throw a bunch of drum cases in this any day and this person seems like they'd take a reasonable offer

https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/d/santa-fe-1988-honda-civic-wagon-rt4wd/7115232152.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Actual gold bronze?

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/sparks-2002-bmw-m3-6mt/7115655274.html

blk fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 29, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Don't they need new rod bearings around this mileage milestone? And then every bushing, fitting, and piece of plastic replaced? I've never owned one, but have seen plenty of frustrated owners

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nitrox posted:

Don't they need new rod bearings around this mileage milestone? And then every bushing, fitting, and piece of plastic replaced? I've never owned one, but have seen plenty of frustrated owners

The ad says it got rod bearings under a recall, and most of the major items have been done. You would probably want an oil analysis every year or so, but the rod bearings wear gradually and don't just break out of the blue. You'll usually see traces in the oil analysis first.

I'd definitely want to run the VIN and check to see if it's a salvage title, since that is a real good price.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fornax Disaster posted:

It's relevant to the battleship discussion because it looks like it has been stored in the ocean.

And being a 70s domestic, its about 400 feet long.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The ad says it got rod bearings under a recall, and most of the major items have been done. You would probably want an oil analysis every year or so, but the rod bearings wear gradually and don't just break out of the blue. You'll usually see traces in the oil analysis first.

I'd definitely want to run the VIN and check to see if it's a salvage title, since that is a real good price.
it's great to see this kind of failures, normalized in BMW enthusiast community. I know quite a few people who are passionate about these cars, and the levels of Stockholm syndrome are amazing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How is my post an apologia? it's a known issue, but this car appears to have it taken care of. if it hasn't, you should absolutely budget money for repairs. people talk about it like the engine is gonna fuckin grenade or whatever and you need to have the repair done ASAP - which isn't true, as long as you monitor it and then replace when you start seeing oil analysis results come back bad, you're fine.

source: own E39 which has known rod bearing issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Brolander posted:

tan gold. a/c not working but whatever, i'd throw a bunch of drum cases in this any day and this person seems like they'd take a reasonable offer

https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/d/santa-fe-1988-honda-civic-wagon-rt4wd/7115232152.html

I love those Civics/Crx and have owned a few myself, but they are horribly unsafe cars. There was an accident near me years ago that involved a Civic of that year and a Bronco, and the Bronco literally drove right through it like it was made of tin foil. It took me awhile to even figure out what kind of car it was, and the two people inside of it were completely exposed and dead. After seeing that I would never drive one of those cars on the road again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nitrox posted:

it's great to see this kind of failures, normalized in BMW enthusiast community. I know quite a few people who are passionate about these cars, and the levels of Stockholm syndrome are amazing

Were you around for the Nikasil days with the 530 and 540?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 29, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
KGJ, I wasn't referring to you in particular, I was talking about people I personally know. They insist on superiority of BMW products, while dismissing horrendously expensive issues as a matter of doing business. About on par with rotary apologists.

Years ago, someone posted a link to BMW message board. Someone bought a used performance model, and something expensive went boom under the hood, so the poor soul posted a thread asking for advice. And there was page after page of people posting, how it's all his fault for not checking some tolerances or doing some kind of preventative chicken-sacrificing woodoo bullshit. The kind of poo poo that's normally reserved for an actual race car that gets torn down and rebuilt every couple hundred hours. loving hilarious.

What kills me about the BMW cult, is that most of the owners will never drive these cars 10 out of 10 to justify the expense. Long time ago we drove to an event, through beautiful mountain roads. Or group had some performance cars like M3's, couple of mustangs, gto, wrx sti, lancer Evo and something less memorable. But when we hit some cool mountain roads, a guy in an automatic v6 Accord left everyone in the dust. May have something to do him having an actual road racing and scca experience.

I drove a minivan with everyone's gear, lol.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Were you around for the Nikasil days with the 530 and 540?
No idea what that means, all my knowledge of BMW terrible engineering decisions is second hand.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh man I really want a v6 Accord now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BMW Uber Alles people are loving terrible, I can agree with you on that for sure. like most decent companies BMW makes a product that is good at some things, but all products are fundamentally compromises!One of those compromises is that BMWs and in particular M cars are extraordinarily finnicky about maintenance and using the OEM specified consumables, so it's pretty common for people to get dunked on for like, say not using Castrol TWS or whatever for oil. Experience has shown that it's more trouble than it's worth to try to save a buck or two.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah, that. Some of my BMW fanatic friends are all grown up now, so they do cool poo poo like swapping LS engines into old 325s. Others recommend 330 over an M3, and the rest argue which crossover can fit the most strollers :)

Personally, I have a garage full of motorcycles, and stopped worrying about what passesfor performance in automotive world long time ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nitrox posted:

No idea what that means, all my knowledge of BMW terrible engineering decisions is second hand.

And you would be correct.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

5 years into your bmw search why are you still making these posts when you said your divorce has cost you 200k

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hey now Jag used Nikasil lined cylinders as well which had the same issues.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

5 years into your bmw search why are you still making these posts when you said your divorce has cost you 200k

I’ve been earning hard - not back to where I was, but not destitute. I’m making 166% of what I was when the divorce started, although I am paying child support now.

It’s time to let the Saabaru go. Not actively looking for BMWs but I’ve always been curious about the E46 M3 and this one caught my eye.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

And being a 70s domestic, its about 400 feet long.

Nah, that's an "intermediate". Only ~17' long. (source: I have a '70 Cutlass. Same chassis. 17'3")
As opposed to 20-something feet for the full-sized cars of the time.

Nitrox posted:

KGJ, I wasn't referring to you in particular, I was talking about people I personally know. They insist on superiority of BMW products, while dismissing horrendously expensive issues as a matter of doing business. About on par with rotary apologists.

Hey, at least with rotaries, we forgive the faults for it being such a unique thing. Or, I do, anyway. Most of us absolutely know #justrotarythings and laugh about it.

blk posted:

It’s time to let the Saabaru go. Not actively looking for BMWs but I’ve always been curious about the E46 M3 and this one caught my eye.

Funny thing, but my brain automatically translated the bolded bit to "poo poo" momentarily, because that is literally the automatic substitution for the s-word on the Grassroots Motorsports forums.

edit: hah, it's actually "E36 M3" on GRM. And "Berkeley" for "gently caress" for some reason.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 1, 2020

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Funny thing, but my brain automatically translated the bolded bit to "poo poo" momentarily, because that is literally the automatic substitution for the s-word on the Grassroots Motorsports forums.

edit: hah, it's actually "E36 M3" on GRM. And "Berkeley" for "gently caress" for some reason.

Gently caress me, that's funny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

blk posted:

I’ve been earning hard - not back to where I was, but not destitute. I’m making 166% of what I was when the divorce started, although I am paying child support now.

Literally nobody cares if you were divorced/whatever... It's nobody's business especially some stalking chucklefuck that comes out of the woodwork to criticize a post unless you are spamming or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:thunk:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I love those Civics/Crx and have owned a few myself, but they are horribly unsafe cars. There was an accident near me years ago that involved a Civic of that year and a Bronco, and the Bronco literally drove right through it like it was made of tin foil. It took me awhile to even figure out what kind of car it was, and the two people inside of it were completely exposed and dead. After seeing that I would never drive one of those cars on the road again.

That's small old cars in general - you wouldn't be any better off in a Miata or E30 or whatever.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

dissss posted:

That's small old cars in general - you wouldn't be any better off in a Miata or E30 or whatever.

Case in point

This was ~45mph impact from a Kia Rio, I walked away with only a cut on my hand from the window glass shattering but I was incredibly lucky

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Yeah I get that but I've never seen a car come apart like this one did, so I guess it just freaked me out a bit.

I've seen lots of accidents scenes, have been going to junkyards for years and have never seen anything like it.

It was pretty similar to this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anything old is deadly, especially that era F150s. They might stay in one piece but you inside will not.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Suddenly thinking pretty hard about upgrading to an ND. :aaa:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I ride a bike so horror pics of mangled cars have little effect on my desire to own any number of 80s cars.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

rscott posted:

Case in point

This was ~45mph impact from a Kia Rio, I walked away with only a cut on my hand from the window glass shattering but I was incredibly lucky

Yeah I get that but I've never seen a car come apart like this one did, so I guess it just freaked me out a bit.

I've seen lots of accidents scenes, have been going to junkyards for years and have never seen anything like it.

It was pretty similar to this

:stare:

I knew that anything from before the '00s aren't terribly safe but this triggered me. We've had two very serious car accidents in the family within my lifetime. The most recent (really about 25 years ago) involved my uncle getting hit head on by an ambulance of all things while he was driving his Windstar. The van was completely totaled and my uncle was seriously injured including a collapsed lung among other things but he did survive thankfully.

Couldn't say the same thing about my mom, though. I can't remember the exact circumstances of the accident since I was a toddler at the time but I vividly remember the car getting struck from the side and then spinning out of control before coming to a violent stop. Oh yeah, my baby brother and I were along for the ride but thankfully well strapped in in child seats. A little while later I remember being pulled out of the wreckage by a cop/fireman/EMT and then seeing mom not looking very good. :(

drat. Over 30 years later and that poo poo still sticks with me and hits me hard.

In short, poo poo like this is why automobile safety and crash ratings is an important metric for me and why I can't bring myself to get anything that much older than my new to me '05 Forester.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wow, those are two horrific experiences and good reason to value a safe car.

One of the reasons that a safer and more modern, fun to drive and engaging light car like a Fiesta ST, BRZ, ND Miata, is kind of a miracle when you think about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

65 feet long. 671 Detroit diseases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Wow, those are two horrific experiences and good reason to value a safe car.

One of the reasons that a safer and more modern, fun to drive and engaging light car like a Fiesta ST, BRZ, ND Miata, is kind of a miracle when you think about it.

Safer I guess but the Fiesta has a really poor 'real world' crash rating even for a small car - probably because they chassis is so old.

There aren't enough MX-5 or 86s to come up with a rating.