Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So it's like Cake in that it's a made-up drug?

It's real enough. It probably shouldn't be blue and there's one key problem with the process that they don't address but it's the kind of thing you get from researching the concepts and then applying dramatic license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Torquemada posted:

They could have made it totally realistic and showed you exactly how to make it, you’d still have the problem the characters in the show have. Precursor is hard to source in volume, and volume is what you need. No one is going to start an artisanal meth lab.

I would bet money there are like 20 people in my state alone who have never heard of breaking bad and have already started artisanal meth labs or had a vague plan to do so

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

IIRC there was a dude in the Breaking Bad TVIV thread who claimed to know the creator of the "real" blue meth, and insisted it wasn't fictional. I forget how that little adventure ended.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

purple death ray posted:

I would bet money there are like 20 people in my state alone who have never heard of breaking bad and have already started artisanal meth labs or had a vague plan to do so

A little chili powder is my signature. :discourse:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

IIRC there was a dude in the Breaking Bad TVIV thread who claimed to know the creator of the "real" blue meth, and insisted it wasn't fictional. I forget how that little adventure ended.

His dad came home from Nintendo and told him he couldn't tell anyone

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
locally sourced, small batch meth produced in our own kitchen. we support high quality processes and the slow meth movement

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can we make a general rule on the forums that when people start saying outlandish bullshit, we just let them keep going? Those people are always a good laugh.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

P sure the showrunner intentionally had the actual producing and montages be as vague as possible while being beleavable enough close to real, they didn't want to make an accidental meth how-to.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It might as well be, from what I gather, and that's probably the best way to depict a drug a show centres around; if it's too accurate you might get the authorities on your back about how the show is teaching people to make drugs, and if it's too inaccurate you're gonna get fans mocking you, so a fictional drug or variant on a drug that you can make up the rules for gives you the most creative license.

Weren't the questions that Walt grills Gale with real questions/criticisms that people had written in to the show about? I know he calls out how all the stereochemistry is a complete fantasy, which seems a fun way to acknowledge that's its just a show and you really should relax.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Torquemada posted:

They could have made it totally realistic and showed you exactly how to make it, you’d still have the problem the characters in the show have. Precursor is hard to source in volume, and volume is what you need. No one is going to start an artisanal meth lab.

Funny thing is this line of thought also makes you realise why alcohol prohibition failed so badly; alcohol is ludicrously easy to make with perfectly legal ingredients and equipment you can get anywhere. It's all about the logistics.

Fictional drugs can also be a lot of fun. Batman Beyond if anything was a bit too War on Drugs about things like Splicers, but you know how people are about transhumanism. Which is especially funny given how many DCAU episodes revolve around animal-transformation serums, it's no wonder they eventually figured out how to mass-produce them recreationally. And then there was the one where the steroid used for sports turned out to be a derivative of Venom, and also showed the long-term effects of a drug that triples the size of your muscles.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Apr 29, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah the DCAU has aged poorly on a technical level, but the writing there was solid-- there's a big buildup to meeting Old Bane, but it turns out that years on super-steroids has turned him into a withered husk of a man unable to function independently and it doesn't come across as preachy, just really matter-of-fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BLe5aXwBaY

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Has Animorphaline from Dragon Ball come up before? Feels like it has.

The show and other media doesn't go super into detail but it seems like it has existed for a long time and was heavily marketed at one point like an over the counter, no prescription needed type thing when a pharmaceutical company patented it or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Batman Beyond was so shockingly bleak, especially in the first season. Just total dystopia and the heroes almost entirely helpless to do any good beyond maybe saving a specific person. It made me feel gross to watch as a kid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was lucky enough to see a DCAU panel with Bruce Timm and other key people behind JLU the year after it ended at San Diego Comic Con, and they had a deep laugh about Batman Beyond.

"Yeah the network came to us because they wanted something they could pitch to younger kids [e.g: "Teen Batman"] and we wound up giving them the darkest poo poo we ever made."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

luxury handset posted:

locally sourced, small batch meth produced in our own kitchen. we support high quality processes and the slow meth movement

Old hat my man, here in Hackney we’d have zero-waste unfiltered meth with no sulfites served in upcycled jam jars and delivered to you on a carbon-negative tricycle. This is interchangeable with Portland.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So it's to real drugs as red mercury is to nuclear weapons?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Has Animorphaline from Dragon Ball come up before? Feels like it has.

The show and other media doesn't go super into detail but it seems like it has existed for a long time and was heavily marketed at one point like an over the counter, no prescription needed type thing when a pharmaceutical company patented it or something.

Nothing goes into detail about it because it was created for a video game released earlier this year to explain why there are animal people around.

The manga never needed to explain it, Dragon Ball's Earth is just a weird place where there are animal people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Escape artist was the username, I think. He had a Brother Mouzone av, that I remember. He came back a while ago and talked about everything that got him to spin dumb tales.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Batman Beyond was so shockingly bleak, especially in the first season. Just total dystopia and the heroes almost entirely helpless to do any good beyond maybe saving a specific person. It made me feel gross to watch as a kid.

It was brutal about aging, and that real fact that one day you just won’t be able to do what you used to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the first episode of Batman Beyond where Bruce tries a case as Batman, thinking he's still up to it. He realises he's got too old when he gets beaten half to death and is forced to grab a gun on reflex to save himself, scaring the last thug off but also scaring himself that he needed to stoop to that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the first episode of Batman Beyond where Bruce tries a case as Batman, thinking he's still up to it. He realises he's got too old when he gets beaten half to death and is forced to grab a gun on reflex to save himself, scaring the last thug off but also scaring himself that he needed to stoop to that.

There’s also that episode where he throws on a suit of power armor to bail Terry out and nearly has a heart attack.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was brutal about aging, and that real fact that one day you just won’t be able to do what you used to.

Batman Beyond was all about that body horror:
  • Inque frozen in ice, aware but unable to communicate, watching a neckbeard fawn over her
  • The April Moon surgeon who finds out his lead gangster and hot wife are two-timing him and puts said gangster under anesthesia where it's strongly implied he mutilates/murders the guy
  • Everything about the Splicers mutating into furry nightmare OC
  • Ra's Al Ghul in Talia's body
  • Bane's dessicated corpse
  • Mr. Freeze as a head in a jar
  • Blight's skin flaking off revealing a glowing radioactive skeleton man
  • Shriek blowing out his eardrums and realizing to his horror that he's now deaf
  • Later, Shriek removes everyone in Gotham's ability to speak a' la "Hush"
  • The Terrific Trio literally falling apart from genetic degradation
  • The rat boy in the sewer
  • Earthmover-- a guy whose body was trapped in a cave-in with radioactive waste forcing him to use dirt golems to interact with the world, complete with his glowing corpse shown wired into a root system
  • Spellbinder using VR to trap people in virtual prisons
  • The "Ranch" where troubled kids get sent and the Solitary Confinement punishment where they are deprived of all senses
  • Peek going fully intangible and explicitly falling toward the center of the earth
  • Falseface who could literally change his face by smushing it
  • A girl with an immune deficiency who has to wear repellant rings to mandate social distancing around her at all times
  • Big Time-- a classic case of radioactive monster man
  • and of course, The Joker mutilating and psychologically breaking Tim Drake into being a little mini-Joker.... who later is found to have an implanted circuit that makes him a Were-Joker as an adult

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terry and Bruce always seemed so vulnerable, like the villains could just do whatever they wanted to them. I particularly remember one scene of Bruce ending up on a psych ward hearing voices and screaming back at them and feeling that the show lacked whatever sense of security kids' shows usually deliver where the heroes have a safe location that they can retreat to or a neutral position they can occupy regardless of the events of the episode. There was also an episode where Terry's guidance counselor used his authority over him to brainwash him that carried a similar sense of boundary violation and powerlessness to institutional forces. It just seemed extremely stark to me compared to the other Batman cartoons or the Superman show, that characters were never safe and had no choice but to submit to corrupt authority. That's a good lesson for kids, I guess.

EDIT: good call on the body horror

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
That all sounds pretty horrific/rad. Anywhere you can watch it these days? Not like I have anything else to do.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
All three seasons are on DC Universe.

mind the walrus posted:

Batman Beyond was all about that body horror:
  • Inque frozen in ice, aware but unable to communicate, watching a neckbeard fawn over her

And of course, what happened to that guy at the end of the episode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you're US your best bet is to do a free trial for the DC Universe streaming site. Yes they really think people care so much about DC superhero content that they'll pay subscription money to watch it regularly.

Check out Doom Patrol while you're there. It's got Timothy Dalton, Alan Tudyk, Matt Bohmer and Fat Brendan Fraser (and Fraser's still got it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tTM9nbRk5A

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roblo posted:

That all sounds pretty horrific/rad. Anywhere you can watch it these days? Not like I have anything else to do.

It was on prime as of a few months ago and will be on that Warner/HBO service that's replacing HBO Now next month.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There’s a Batman beyond comic (maybe an episode?) where some villain sends out a brainwashing signal to bring out Batman to fight him. Doesn’t work on terry because he still doesn’t really think of himself as Batman, but it brings out Bruce who comes out all dark knight returns style and kicks Terry’s rear end. It was fun.

edit: looks like it was the first issue:

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Apr 29, 2020

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
A lot of Beyond's bad guys felt like a real threat because Terry was just a teenager. (In power armor with Batman feeding him lines with an in-helmet Nextel.) Regularly got in over his head, jobbed a bit as a result. His wins often weren't as "clean" as Bruce's had been, with a lot of dead antagonists that non-Future Batman probably would've been able to leave hanging upside-down from a lamppost outside a police station.

Part of that is you can't arrest a guy who just really wants to die and can wall himself up in an exploding building, or is coming apart at the seams because of GATTACA, or is just a sci-fi murderbeast, but also inexperience. As the series went on he was out of his element slightly less often.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's real enough. It probably shouldn't be blue and there's one key problem with the process

That was almost certainly done on purpose for the same reason that the napalm recipe in Fight Club was deliberately wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

That was almost certainly done on purpose for the same reason that the napalm recipe in Fight Club was deliberately wrong.

The mustachioed Mythbuster used to angrily point out whenever they had to censor or leave out steps in making something flammable because the legal advisor told them it was a liability.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Terry and Bruce always seemed so vulnerable, like the villains could just do whatever they wanted to them. I particularly remember one scene of Bruce ending up on a psych ward hearing voices and screaming back at them and feeling that the show lacked whatever sense of security kids' shows usually deliver where the heroes have a safe location that they can retreat to or a neutral position they can occupy regardless of the events of the episode. There was also an episode where Terry's guidance counselor used his authority over him to brainwash him that carried a similar sense of boundary violation and powerlessness to institutional forces. It just seemed extremely stark to me compared to the other Batman cartoons or the Superman show, that characters were never safe and had no choice but to submit to corrupt authority. That's a good lesson for kids, I guess.

EDIT: good call on the body horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t7yiN_Z5eg

which goes well with

Ambitious Spider posted:

There’s a Batman beyond comic (maybe an episode?) where some villain sends out a brainwashing signal to bring out Batman to fight him. Doesn’t work on terry because he still doesn’t really think of himself as Batman, but it brings out Bruce who comes out all dark knight returns style and kicks Terry’s rear end. It was fun.

Batman beyond was easily one of my favorite cartoons as a kid, and I ended up buying the DVD set.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Doom Patrol is loving rad. They gave us Danny the Street.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bruce as Batman didn't kill.
Terry as Batman didn't actively kill, but he sure as poo poo doesn't save you either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also Bruce!Batman beat villains by escaping their games. Terry beat Joker by playing it harder, and out-psyching him.

Joker: What do you think you're doing?
Terry: Fighting dirty...
Joker: The real Batman would never...
Terry: I'm not the real batman, remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx7CdrjGFZo Just a great scene in general. I also love his general taunts, like "So you fell in a vat of acid, got your skin bleached and decided to become a supervillain! What? You couldn't get a job as a rodeo clown?!" and "Joy buzzers? Squirting flowers? LAME! Where's the A material? Make a face, drop your pants, SOMETHING!"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Zedd posted:

Bruce as Batman didn't kill.
Terry as Batman didn't actively kill, but he sure as poo poo doesn't save you either.

Those guys he threw into piles of drugs probably died but they were jerks and they didn't pronounce on-screen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Bruce!Batman beat villains by escaping their games. Terry beat Joker by playing it harder, and out-psyching him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx7CdrjGFZo Just a great scene in general. I also love his general taunts, like "So you fell in a vat of acid, got your skin bleached and decided to become a supervillain! What? You couldn't get a job as a rodeo clown?!" and "Joy buzzers? Squirting flowers? LAME! Where's the A material? Make a face, drop your pants, SOMETHING!"

BB was "what if Spider-Man was Batman" and it's a good show

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Groke posted:

Doom Patrol is loving rad. They gave us Danny the Street.
No joke I've a trans friend who has been overcoming a hostile home life and severe trauma including getting jumped and raped, multiple times in the last year and watching that show with them has been a form of therapy and release. It is far from perfect but I'm very grateful it exists, and is getting a Season Two (definitely not a Three though).

purple death ray posted:

BB was "what if Spider-Man was Batman" and it's a good show
It's "What if Spider-Man were Batman in Blade Runner's world" and yes it is a very good show. It's still my gold standard for "some ideas are worse than others, but execution matters above all else."

They even managed to pull off the "Terry was secretly Bruce's genetic son this entire time" twist on a dramatic level. That shouldn't even be loving possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvz2hqPIQT8

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0
The JLU time travel episode where they went to the future and even found time to give a capoff to Static Shock was also quite cute. Kevin Conroy is too goddamn good at voice acting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Doom Patrol is too good to last forever. It deserves a beginning, a middle and an end where it does something great that not a lot of media is doing.

Imagine Doom Patrol but it's on season 30 just like the Simpsons. Not worth it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BioEnchanted posted:

Why is Bruce Wayne old but joker isn’t?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Why is Bruce Wayne old but joker isn’t?

IIRC that Joker is actually a brainwashed Tim Drake (a.k.a. Robin).