Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Reset all settings should get rid of it.
It did not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is 'Code Editor by Panic' (formerly Diet Coda), my best bet for a combined SFTP client and code editor? I tried using Koder, but found it kind of clunky.

I should probably just setup some Git repositories and use Working Copy, but I sometimes still have to do some 'cowboy coding' and change thing son the fly.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

frogbs posted:

Is 'Code Editor by Panic' (formerly Diet Coda), my best bet for a combined SFTP client and code editor? I tried using Koder, but found it kind of clunky.

I should probably just setup some Git repositories and use Working Copy, but I sometimes still have to do some 'cowboy coding' and change thing son the fly.

Probably? At least if you want to run the editor on the iPad itself.

I’ve been using Blink + Emacs on the target. That fits my workflow, but I know terminal editing isn’t everyone’s jam. Generally, I’ve found Vim/Emacs/nano/whatever behave themselves in Blink.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Refreshing the page for the refurbished iPad I want every so often...

Any day now! :shepspends:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Scholtz posted:

Refreshing the page for the refurbished iPad I want every so often...

Any day now! :shepspends:

Apple refurbished trackers exist for this very reason and will email you the second the iPad you want is available. I used this one to track down a refurb iPad mini (that I never ended up buying) and it was perfect. https://refurb-tracker.com

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I appreciate it!

I actually already have an alert using that set up, but I'm so excited that I keep thinking "well, maybe I should just check it myself!"

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Magic Keyboard owners: Can you use the iPad comfortably on your lap with it?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
The 11 feels pretty weird in that setting, and kind of hard to see the screen adequately at that distance, to be honest. But it is pretty nice and planted with the heft in the base. There’s a little wobble but not dramatic. Feels way better than a Surface device at the same size.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Xabi posted:

Magic Keyboard owners: Can you use the iPad comfortably on your lap with it?

for the most part, yeah. it’s not as stable as a laptop still, i often put a leg up or something when I’m on the couch anyway and it works perfectly with it sitting basically on my calf.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is bluetooth mouse support on iPadOS finicky for anyone else? I'd say scrolling on my Logitech M720 Triathlon works about 50% of the time, which is super frustrating.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

frogbs posted:

Is bluetooth mouse support on iPadOS finicky for anyone else? I'd say scrolling on my Logitech M720 Triathlon works about 50% of the time, which is super frustrating.

I’m using a Microsoft designer mouse on my iPad 6 and it’s mostly ok, I get some missed scrolls but it’s usually the ui crapping out due to lack of resources.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

frogbs posted:

I think it’s just an iOS issue. I got the new Logitech Pebble i345 which is supposed to be made for iPadOS or whatever (the only think that makes it made for iPadOS is that it’s a Bluetooth only mouse, whatever) the scrolling is janky most of the time but the pointer control is fine.

My understanding is that Apple mice work just fine but anything else is going to have the issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

That's the one I have, not that I actually use it much, but it seems fine, outside some barely noticeable latency (w/iPad mini 5). Does it not scroll at all or just delayed or something?

Side note regarding that mouse and scrolling, I set the scroll speed to the slowest and set the wheel to free spin. Gets a bit wacky sometimes if I scroll fast, like it gets stuck dragging the screen at the top/bottom for a bit trying to catch up to the scroll events, but generally feels nicer than the other settings for me.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
My brain still doesn’t seem to know what to do with scrolling on the iPad with trackpad. On my Macs, I always disable natural scrolling because its the devil, but non-natural scrolling feels a bit weird on this, I guess since I associate it as a touch device first.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What’s the width of the 12.9 Pro with the Magic Keyboard attached?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

Open or closed?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Open or closed?

??? That doesn't change.

ijyt posted:

It's dimensions are 11.5 x 9.4 x 0.9 inches closed. Looking at mine, it appears to be a couple millimeters wider than the iPad itself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

??? That doesn't change.

It's dimensions are 11.5 x 9.4 x 0.9 inches closed. Looking at mine, it appears to be a couple millimeters wider than the iPad itself.

Yeah that was the joke.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that was the joke.

:doh:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m experimenting with the mouse on an iPad Pro 10.5 and the scroll wheel behavior is total poo poo. It’s incredibly slow and jittery at best, and at worst does nothing. Dragging with the cursor is an annoying alternative, and that doesn’t even work in Safari since it highlights text Instead in a lot of cases.

Is there some fix for this, or is it just this bad? I tried using an old Samsung mouse and now I’m trying with a new Jelly Comb that seems to be recommended everywhere.

Edit - haha looks like its not just me. Oh well

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

I’m experimenting with the mouse on an iPad Pro 10.5 and the scroll wheel behavior is total poo poo. It’s incredibly slow and jittery at best, and at worst does nothing. Dragging with the cursor is an annoying alternative, and that doesn’t even work in Safari since it highlights text Instead in a lot of cases.

Is there some fix for this, or is it just this bad? I tried using an old Samsung mouse and now I’m trying with a new Jelly Comb that seems to be recommended everywhere.

Edit - haha looks like its not just me. Oh well

Yeah, not just you. It’s funky, for whatever reason iPadOS’s scroll sensitivity seems to be just higher than whatever a normal scroll wheel’s speed is. If I switch my MX Master 2S’s scroll wheel to be free spinning, it’s much nicer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

??? That doesn't change.

Oh I'm a moron, I meant the short edge, curious how far the hinge sticks out haha. Thanks for the measurements.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the 32gb iPad for $249 and 128gb for $329 FYI.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Smart Keyboard is also on sale for $99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-smart-keyboard-for-apple-ipad10-2-7th-generation-2019-10-5-ipad-pro-and-ipad-air/5822276.p

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If I buy a regular ol iPad now is apple going to release a new and better version soon that’s going to make me regret buying instead of waiting?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Levitate posted:

If I buy a regular ol iPad now is apple going to release a new and better version soon that’s going to make me regret buying instead of waiting?

Probably not?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes, always.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It seems those sales really start going near a refresh/release, but the 7th gen iPad is no slouch and will probably be great for a good while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Absolute worst case scenario- you botch the timing on a $250-$300 purchase instead of like a $1600 MacBook or $800 iPad Pro or whatever.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Levitate posted:

There could very well be a new base iPad model announced during WWDC next month or even sooner, but you have to ask yourself if it matters at all when you're buying a perfectly fine, fast basic iPad for $250. The 2019 iPad was already upgraded with a larger 10.2" display, 1GB more RAM, and Smart Keyboard support. A new iPad could have an A11/A12 CPU, but maybe not because Apple is still trying to sell iPad Air and Pro tablets. Either way, it will barely matter when the A10 is already fast enough and you're saving a good chunk of cash for the current model. The potential Mini-LED upgrades aren't supposed to be coming until 2021 at the earliest, so there almost certainly won't be any significant design upgrades for a new entry level iPad.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 6, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Levitate posted:

I'd say just got for it! I got one at $250 recently and have been shocked with how good it is. I can't imagine they'd add much to the base model other than a processor bump, plus Logitech just released the Combo Touch keyboard/trackpad case for this model.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
the macrumors buyer's guide is a good place for "is this historically likely to update very soon" and in this case probably not https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

Plus for better or worse sales on the base ipad seem to happen relatively frequently so I wouldn't say that's any indicator of likelihood of an update.

IMO the only thing the base iPad would benefit from is the laminated screen but it probably won't get that any time soon since that seems to be the main differentiator between it and the ipad air.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking for an app that let's me connect to an SMB share (the Files app does this) and allows me to set a shortcut to a specific folder (the Files app does not do this). Does anyone have a recommendation for this? I just got my first Apple device, so I may very well be missing something obvious either regarding App recommendations or how to use the default Files app.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IMO they won't update the cheapass iPad with a better CPU this year. Sticking an A10 in it was a deliberate choice when all the other 2019 devices got an A12 or better

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking for an app that let's me connect to an SMB share (the Files app does this) and allows me to set a shortcut to a specific folder (the Files app does not do this). Does anyone have a recommendation for this? I just got my first Apple device, so I may very well be missing something obvious either regarding App recommendations or how to use the default Files app.

In the Files app, navigate to the folder you want, tap and hold on it a moment, and drag it over to Favorites?

Edit: I guess technically, navigate to one folder up from the one you want the shortcut to so you're seeing the folder, not the contents of it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Showing as $159 for me. Is it $99 for anyone?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CaptainCaveman posted:

In the Files app, navigate to the folder you want, tap and hold on it a moment, and drag it over to Favorites?

Edit: I guess technically, navigate to one folder up from the one you want the shortcut to so you're seeing the folder, not the contents of it.

I tried this but it didn't seem possible, as there was no 'Favorites' on the left hand site. I have since installed the app FE File Explorer app and it does do what I'm looking for.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

frogbs posted:

Showing as $159 for me. Is it $99 for anyone?

Sale ended, sorry :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

Huh wonder why I never tried this before. Got one folder in there...then wouldn't let me add another :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Clark Nova posted:

IMO they won't update the cheapass iPad with a better CPU this year. Sticking an A10 in it was a deliberate choice when all the other 2019 devices got an A12 or better

They've stuck with the A10 for a lot of high-volume usage and will probably keep it for a while.

Every Macbook has an A10 in it also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple-designed_processors#Apple_T2