Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I'm not sure where to post this and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. my gf is a very experienced seamstress and I'd like to find her a book of patterns for her birthday - the kind that come on little crinkly bits of paper, if possible - but everything I can find is clearly geared for beginners. Can anyone link me to a thread where I can solicit gift ideas for someone who would not need basic tutorials of any kind, but like, would be fine with just a bunch of patterns and expert-level sewing projects? she already has fabric, machines, lots of pins and confusing bits of tape and stuff, but she often has fun with neat little patterns and vintage style dresses and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
This might be a Terrible Idea depending on how much your gf appreciates used stuff, but if you can identify the ballpark of the vintage that your girlfriend is into (ie. 60's), you could check online or local antiquarium bookstores for old sewing magazines. When my grandma died, she left behind a ton of old magazines that came with the crinkly paper patterns, or patterns you could copy onto the crinkly paper yourself. If your local antiquarium has none, they might have a good idea where to score some, or might at least know specific names of magazines to look for. If they don't, it might be worth asking around your local cloth/yarn/handicraft store. If that doesn't work, just start sighing around grandmas, lamenting your lack of good old-fashioned sewing magazines from back in the day when things were different and see if you get lucky.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This might be a Terrible Idea depending on how much your gf appreciates used stuff, but if you can identify the ballpark of the vintage that your girlfriend is into (ie. 60's), you could check online or local antiquarium bookstores for old sewing magazines. When my grandma died, she left behind a ton of old magazines that came with the crinkly paper patterns, or patterns you could copy onto the crinkly paper yourself. If your local antiquarium has none, they might have a good idea where to score some, or might at least know specific names of magazines to look for. If they don't, it might be worth asking around your local cloth/yarn/handicraft store. If that doesn't work, just start sighing around grandmas, lamenting your lack of good old-fashioned sewing magazines from back in the day when things were different and see if you get lucky.

Thank you! Those are definitely things she would like. Unfortunately that stuff is kind of hard to find right now, since most places are closed. If you can think of anything I might be able to order online, that would be really helpful too! I will definitely see if I can find a good book on vintage fashion at least - she likes Edwardian stuff a lot

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm attempting to start an Etsy shop for weaving, and the SA ad I bought is probably the biggest driver of traffic, plus it got me a sale. Therefore, I have concluded more saturation/exposure is very good. Does anyone know if it's okay to advertise Etsy shops on SA-Mart? I've seen several offsite threads but nothing specifically Etsy related. (Refraining from dropping the link here, I don't want to violate forum rules plus I'm very sensitive to criticism :ohdear:)

In other news it's really neat to sell my hobby to people I don't know and I hope I do more of it in the future :)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm attempting to start an Etsy shop for weaving, and the SA ad I bought is probably the biggest driver of traffic, plus it got me a sale. Therefore, I have concluded more saturation/exposure is very good. Does anyone know if it's okay to advertise Etsy shops on SA-Mart? I've seen several offsite threads but nothing specifically Etsy related. (Refraining from dropping the link here, I don't want to violate forum rules plus I'm very sensitive to criticism :ohdear:)

In other news it's really neat to sell my hobby to people I don't know and I hope I do more of it in the future :)

I've definitely seen SA-Mart threads connected to Etsy stores! I think you'll be fine.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Artdome is still a thing, and the prompt is now Horse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post504862670

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
So i figure it's probably a good idea to make a design portfolio "mockup" since I don't have any professional work yet and use it to get some freelance gigs to make a proper pro portfolio?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes! You need to fix the link though, or no-one can see it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for a gift for a buddy of mine, he's an amateur painter. Are there any books on painting or its history that are slightly off the beaten path that'd make for a good gift?

Hopefully this is the place for that, if not apologies

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Don't know availability, but this might be interesting, it's a book about the history of pigments

https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2019/06/10/history-of-pigment-in-art/

Amazon UK link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chromatopia-Illustrated-History-David-Coles/dp/1760760021

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I REALLY haven't been able to figure this out with myself, so I think I should try asking somewhere more critical.

I hate doing pixel art. I've hated it for years and I've had nothing but bad experiences with doing it, despite it being how I learned alot of my color theory knowledge and what lead me into really getting better with other art forms. And yet I'm REALLY REALLY good at it and can knock extremely complex things out in short order. And now I'm making a game that's exclusively pixel art, and i'm really frustrated and confused. Do I like doing this? Do I hate Doing this? Why am I good at something if I hate it as much as I do? I just don't know how to process this, and it's been wearing on my mind for the past 2 months since I started working on this.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What do you hate about it so much? Do you enjoy looking at it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a term for an art style that uses pixel based art on 3D models? I’m specifically thinking of that early PSX low poly aesthetic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I REALLY haven't been able to figure this out with myself, so I think I should try asking somewhere more critical.

I hate doing pixel art. I've hated it for years and I've had nothing but bad experiences with doing it, despite it being how I learned alot of my color theory knowledge and what lead me into really getting better with other art forms. And yet I'm REALLY REALLY good at it and can knock extremely complex things out in short order. And now I'm making a game that's exclusively pixel art, and i'm really frustrated and confused. Do I like doing this? Do I hate Doing this? Why am I good at something if I hate it as much as I do? I just don't know how to process this, and it's been wearing on my mind for the past 2 months since I started working on this.

What are the emotions you experience while you're doing it? What were the thoughts you experienced when deciding to make an entire game of it?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

echinopsis posted:

What do you hate about it so much? Do you enjoy looking at it?

I like the look of it, I like the skill involved. i think it's just that the bad experiences I've had over the years that have made me hate making it. up until last year, I hadn't really done much of it at all for ages, maybe coming back to it once every few years only to have a project fall apart. I've stuck largely to illustration these days because both 3D and pixelart are hard to find effective and trustworthy collaborators on. (3D I'm on a burnout with these days so that's a different story.)

sebmojo posted:

What are the emotions you experience while you're doing it? What were the thoughts you experienced when deciding to make an entire game of it?

I was given the chance to make a scrolling shooter by someone I've done commission work for. I love these games to death, and I've wanted to make one since I was 14, so of course I'd jump at the chance. That's why I started back.
While working on things lately I kinda do the same thing i've always done, turn off the rest of my mind and just work. I just sorta... zen out I guess? It's pretty much the before and after where, even if I LIKE what I made, I still feel like I hate having even doing it in the first place.

E:thinking about it, alot of the reason i even jumped at the project is because I've grown so tired of not being able to get out of my job, and the pandemic killed my job hunt before I could start turning in applications. I just want to try and make something that could get me out of this hole, even if it means going to something I have bad vibes with to do it.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 24, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Warbird posted:

Is there a term for an art style that uses pixel based art on 3D models? I’m specifically thinking of that early PSX low poly aesthetic.

I think that's just an artifact of the resolution the game is in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d be inclined to agree for the back in the day stuff for sure. Byproduct of memory limitations and such. I didn’t know I’d the new wave of that style of things had prompted an umbrella term or not. Example because I’m a dummy and didn’t include one earlier: https://blenderartists.org/t/pixel-art-3d-models/1122114

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I haven't come across a blanket term yet. It's most just called "low res" or "low poly" or "psx-style" or the like. There's subcategories of that era's looks, of course. You have the N64 soft/filtered/mushy style of texturing or the PS1/Metal Gear Solid style where the textures are literally pixel art and there's no filtering on the textures. Both are driven by extremely slim poly budgets though, obviously. Diffuse-only textures, trim sheets mixed with larger textures where you paint the floor of a whole room, etc.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

im lovin it

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sebmojo posted:

im lovin it
i'm sorry i yelled at you in qcs that one time, you're a drat fine mod :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:cheerdoge:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my computer died and i'm on an ancient tablet we found in the bottom of a cupboard and there's a folder on the desktop containing my webcomic from 2014

pro-tip, don't look at your webcomic from 2014

i wonder what the expiry date is on old art embarrassment? i can look at stuff i made up until about 18 and find it endearingly terrible (i'm 30) but anything after that i just can't bear to look at. it takes about twelve months now for something i draw to go from "that looks ok" to "oh gently caress please don't make me ever have to see that again." i think it's why i only do abstract art now. i hate looking at my hosed-up old human drawings, even badly-drawn buildings make me cringe myself inside out, and i can't imagine it will ever be any different so i've just stopped trying. what's the point in making art if you can't take any joy in what you made?

i got art-shamed pretty hard as a kid by literally everyone in my life. if i ever have kids, things will be different! their lives may be disastrous in most ways, but by drat they'll have confidence in their art, whatever that art may be

fauna fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 5, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You 100% have to post it now

E: I mostly like my old stuff, but I recently read some letters I sent back to friends when I was 20ish and my entire body contorted into a cringe scrunchy

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sebmojo posted:

You 100% have to post it now
i would literally rather eat my tongue

quote:

E: I mostly like my old stuff, but I recently read some letters I sent back to friends when I was 20ish and my entire body contorted into a cringe scrunchy
hahahaha oh lord, when i was 20 i was mostly absorbed in ultima online roleplaying drama. it kind of counts as art, and i desperately, desperately hope it is lost to the mists of time

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

fauna posted:

hahahaha oh lord, when i was 20 i was mostly absorbed in ultima online roleplaying drama. it kind of counts as art, and i desperately, desperately hope it is lost to the mists of time
LoL, Me too. Not only RP drama, but OoC organisational level drama too. Though I never did the writing huge tracts of IC fanfiction thing.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Angrymog posted:

LoL, Me too. Not only RP drama, but OoC organisational level drama too. Though I never did the writing huge tracts of IC fanfiction thing.
i did :unsmigghh:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I haven’t posted in CC in ages, and I didn’t want to barge into some thread with reckless self-promotion, so I wanted to ask: what’s the preferred thread for posting a link to a new magazine I helped found, edit, and publish?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 6, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TBF, writing huge tracts of fanfic is more worthwhile than the org-level bunfights I got into. Unless you're a creepy sod who basically went full-Gorean* with the player of the Sultana of Nujelm.

* His character was called Kamchack. I literally just got the reference last year, or it would have been a massive red flag. Fortunately he wasn't in my guild.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I’m sure this has been covered to death itt, but what are the best vector and pixel programs for art/illustration on the iPad? Preferably something I can just buy and won’t have monthly subscription

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Angrymog posted:

TBF, writing huge tracts of fanfic is more worthwhile than the org-level bunfights I got into. Unless you're a creepy sod who basically went full-Gorean* with the player of the Sultana of Nujelm.
lmao no, i was outspokenly disdainful of erotic rp. and in fact i wrote many words to that effect, which, again, i hope and pray are lost forever

quote:

* His character was called Kamchack. I literally just got the reference last year, or it would have been a massive red flag. Fortunately he wasn't in my guild.
i read that as "krymchak", which i'm not sure is the reference he intended

thankfully my trajectory in life has never led me to gor or its fans, and i'm happy with that. i was in with the vampire crowd :negative:

the best drama i was involved in happened because i played an elderly wizard, but was a teenage girl irl. but when i shared that i was a teenage girl irl with the guild, one of the other members got suspicious because i played old too well. so she ended up convincing herself and a handful of others that i was an old man pretending to be a teenage girl pretending to be an old man, for nefarious purposes probably involving my closest uo friend at the time, a confirmed teenage boy. they ran me out of the guild and off the shard and i only later found out exactly what had happened

Time Cowboy posted:

I haven’t posted in CC in ages, and I didn’t want to barge into some thread with reckless self-promotion, so I wanted to ask: what’s the preferred thread for posting a link to a new magazine I helped found, edit, and publish?
:justpost:

fauna fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 6, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah just go crazy if you want to point out something you've done, this thread is good and feel free to make a new one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

fauna posted:

lmao no, i was outspokenly disdainful of erotic rp. and in fact i wrote many words to that effect, which, again, i hope and pray are lost forever

i read that as "krymchak", which i'm not sure is the reference he intended
Oh no, this was gross fanfic without actually including any sex. And Kamchack is iirc, the lead character in Gor. bleargh.

And wow, I don't think we had anything of that grade happen over on Europa.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the internet is great because the function of old-fashioned writers' guilds was taken over by roleplaying and fanfiction, which not only taught kids how to write, but opened them up to heights of drama their ancestors could only have dreamed of

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Oh no, this was gross fanfic without actually including any sex. And Kamchack is iirc, the lead character in Gor. bleargh.

And wow, I don't think we had anything of that grade happen over on Europa.
europa was renowned as a haven of artistry and good taste, the american roleplayers all held it up as this distant paradise they were all longing to join but could never possibly be worthy of

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
An old man with a parrot gifted me an easel and a buncha magazines, so this is helping unblock the "creative" block.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah just go crazy if you want to point out something you've done, this thread is good and feel free to make a new one.

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ll post a thread tomorrow. I want to turn it into a general purpose zine thread while I’m at it.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

FunkyAl posted:

An old man with a parrot gifted me an easel and a buncha magazines, so this is helping unblock the "creative" block.
fart

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oh lord i'm so sorry, that's the most first world problem imaginable

e: i have deleted the self-absorbed rant about people buying me expensive art supplies. being honour-bound to create a large intricate work in a medium i despise is an opportunity for artistic self-transformation, and my friends are a blessing from heaven

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 6, 2020