Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Black Sails was really good but I'm kind of glad I didn't watch it as it was airing because the end scenes of pretty much every episode was just way too good at making me want immediately watch the next episode.

The relationship between Flint and Silver was incredibly complex and compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Most of the characters had super complex and (somewhat) realistic relationships with each based on what their individual goals/aspirations are at the time. The only two that remained pretty stable through out were Jack and Anne.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I want to see a gritty period British detective drama, set in the 70's , in the black country.a haggard cop who had its prime in the 50's.a fresh faced rookie with a dark secret, against the backdrop of a Birmingham in decline. they are trying to figure out the greatest mistery of all:who was the first metal band, black Sabbath or deep purple.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Most of the characters had super complex and (somewhat) realistic relationships with each based on what their individual goals/aspirations are at the time. The only two that remained pretty stable through out were Jack and Anne.

Yeah, the whole series was really good and I pretty much enjoyed all of the characters.

I was thinking about the fact that I don't really recall any of the main characters remarking that quite a lot of those working for the English were often much more brutal than any of the pirates they dealt with and that was just driven home by the Teach/Rogers scene. I think the closest thing mentioned was by the daughter of Lord Ashe before the trial of Flint. However, on the flip side of that, I ended up thinking that perhaps that was for the best because it let the viewer come to that conclusion on their own when hearing it come from a pirate might have seemed self serving.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I want to see a gritty period British detective drama, set in the 70's , in the black country.a haggard cop who had its prime in the 50's.a fresh faced rookie with a dark secret, against the backdrop of a Birmingham in decline. they are trying to figure out the greatest mistery of all:who was the first metal band, black Sabbath or deep purple.

Well, turns out to be Judas Priest

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I finished For All Mankind. The first half of it is mostly establishing characters and the fictional world, so it doesn't feel like the most compelling watch, but from episode 7 - Hi Bob - it really picks up the pace. Also, it is clearly more character driven than plot driven, exploring what it must have been like for scientists, soldiers and politicians to be working on the same project like that. It does a good job of not losing itself in the speculative fiction and presenting the differences with simple, but effective, brush strokes. Space, and the Moon, are also really well done as settings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

I finished For All Mankind. The first half of it is mostly establishing characters and the fictional world, so it doesn't feel like the most compelling watch, but from episode 7 - Hi Bob - it really picks up the pace. Also, it is clearly more character driven than plot driven, exploring what it must have been like for scientists, soldiers and politicians to be working on the same project like that. It does a good job of not losing itself in the speculative fiction and presenting the differences with simple, but effective, brush strokes. Space, and the Moon, are also really well done as settings.

DON'T YOU HI BOB ME

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Meatgrinder posted:

I agree on most of it, but for my part I found it seriously compelling from the moment I realized I was watching the Apollo 11 landing on a TV show and had absolutely no idea if they would live or die from either a historical or storytelling perspective.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Season 2 of Ricky Gervais' "After Life" just hit Netflix the other day, a heartbreaking yet funny 3 hour binge.

Love that silly little fat man (and the rest of the characters except the shrink. gently caress that guy.).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcbexx posted:

Season 2 of Ricky Gervais' "After Life" just hit Netflix the other day, a heartbreaking yet funny 3 hour binge.

Love that silly little fat man (and the rest of the characters except the shrink. gently caress that guy.).

gently caress Ricky Gervais. Be should be unfunny somewhere else.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Tarrintino-esque career revival for Lenny Henry as ultraviolent Dudley-based crimeboss and I'm in.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Bosch season six was a little less for me then the ones before. Too much time spent on petty office politics and a main case that felt off.

The way they portrayed the Sovereign Citizen group was odd. Unlike the shrieking morons they are in reality this is a tightly knit, diverse group who have extreme views but are proven correct when an FBI agent tries to frame them for a murder. And then this same FBI agent kills one of them in a search needlessly escalated by him. Once the truth comes out the FBI agent is conveniently killed by another one and the remaining organizer of the murder looks to be on her way to her release because the cops messed up the investigation. It does not justify bombing a courthouse but it's more background into their motivations then any other villain in the show ever got.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

gently caress Ricky Gervais. Be should be unfunny somewhere else.

What did he do?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cactus posted:

What did he do?

Nothing in particular. He just annoys the poo poo out of me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Same, he’s intolerable. On the face of it, I should like an animal-loving atheist who yells at famous people for not paying their taxes, but I can’t do it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gravy Jones posted:

There are loads of shows like this and they are pretty much a genre to themselves beyond crime procedurals in general. It's not really something that appeals to me (except Hamish McBeth) but yeah they're very popular in both the UK and US, there are a lot of them (both TV and fiction) and they're very formulaic. They're the UK's equivilent of stuff like Murder She Wrote and Matlock.

I really liked Death in Paradise. The picturesque location is the island of Guadalupe in the Caribbean, so you also get the 'fish out of water' dynamic of a British Detective Inspector adapting to life in the islands. It's otherwise very formulaic, but highly entertaining.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

CeeJee posted:

Bosch season six was a little less for me then the ones before. Too much time spent on petty office politics and a main case that felt off.

Yeah, same. I mean, if you write down the plot points for this season on paper, it'll seem to be some crazy poo poo going down. But overall, just pretty dull honestly.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I've started my "Break In Case of Emergency" show and am watching Firefly... for the first time.

Currently up to Jaynestown.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's all downhill from that episode.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I've started my "Break In Case of Emergency" show and am watching Firefly... for the first time.

Currently up to Jaynestown.

What order are you watching them in?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

phosdex posted:

What order are you watching them in?

This is the order they appear on Amazon video:
Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwhacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Message
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Cactus posted:

What did he do?

Not sure about the second season, but the entirety of season one of After Life was Ricky being his usual self-insert, with him continually dunking on straw men positions he's written other characters to take. So he controls both sides of the narrative, and uses reducto ad absurdum wankery to prove the supremacy of his points.

I like Larry David's humor and some of Gervais' other work, but that series was just too much him disappearing up his own arse.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Isolationist posted:

Not sure about the second season, but the entirety of season one of After Life was Ricky being his usual self-insert, with him continually dunking on straw men positions he's written other characters to take. So he controls both sides of the narrative, and uses reducto ad absurdum wankery to prove the supremacy of his points.

I like Larry David's humor and some of Gervais' other work, but that series was just too much him disappearing up his own arse.

I haven't seen that so I'll have to take your word for it, although having seen a few interviews I can certainly picture him doing that type of stuff, and it would annoy me too. I'm mostly familiar with his older stuff like the Office and Extras, which I thought were excellent. It does seem logical, though, that maybe the reason he can play that kind of part so convincingly is that perhaps it isn't all acting a part...

Anyway glad to hear it wasn't something like he was yet another guy that got metoo'd or fondled kids or whatever. I can separate an actor from the material they've done that I enjoy if it's just "they're annoying irl" but that rapey stuff is where I can't help but draw the line.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

This is the order they appear on Amazon video:
Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwhacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Message
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space

I mistakenly watched them by their air date which mixes things up a little bit.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Been watching Start Trek: TNG on Netflix, with my teenager.

Did a remastered version come out at some point? I don't remember the cgi looking that decent when they originally aired... when I last watched them. I thought they'd end up looking like poo poo on my 4k TV.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

GORDON posted:

Been watching Start Trek: TNG on Netflix, with my teenager.

Did a remastered version come out at some point? I don't remember the cgi looking that decent when they originally aired... when I last watched them. I thought they'd end up looking like poo poo on my 4k TV.

Yep, they went through all the old film and remastered it and spiced up some of the fx. It's beautiful. Season 2 not so much but on the whole it's wonderful and it breaks my heart the other series probably won't/can't get the same treatment.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm almost to the end of Peep Show. If you like the kind of comedy where the main characters are terrible people and the source of all their own problems, it's a must-see.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yep, they went through all the old film and remastered it and spiced up some of the fx. It's beautiful. Season 2 not so much but on the whole it's wonderful and it breaks my heart the other series probably won't/can't get the same treatment.

TOS got a gorgeous BD remaster, I used to use it as a "reference disk" back in the day when 1080P was still a big deal, and not everyone had seen how good it could look. There were a few episodes when you could see a popped stitch on Kirk's uniform.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's all downhill from that episode.

Disconcur. Out of Gas is great and everything left, other than hearts of gold is solid.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
At this point I think it's ok for the pendulum to swing back a bit and admit that Firefly was fun and, though certain aspects certainly haven't aged well, pretty good for its time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll agree with that. It wasn't ever going to be timeless, but what it was was pretty entertaining, and the cast chemistry was amazing.

I just finished S5 of Better Call Saul, and it is going to be a brutal wait through the Covid-enforced hiatus for season six. I'd say don't be in any hurry to get to it (or any series with more seasons yet to come), but goddamn BCS turned out to be an amazing show. It's been getting stiffed at the Emmys which is a damned shame, Rhea Seahorn as Kim Wexler is the best character on television the past few years. And all this to explain two names in a throwaway line in Breaking Bad.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I found the first couple episodes of BCS rather boring and never went back to it, should I? (love Breaking Bad though)

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Torquemada posted:

On the face of it, I should like an animal-loving atheist who yells at famous people for not paying their taxes, but I can’t do it.

That stand up special where he kept talking about his internet fights with twitter nobodies was dire. But he also made a few jokes about transsexuals so the freeze peach brigade fell over themselves to defend it, and make the poor reviews into some kind of conspiracy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Klaaz posted:

I found the first couple episodes of BCS rather boring and never went back to it, should I? (love Breaking Bad though)

yes absolutely. It’s not a perfect show but it has some really great characters and you’ll really be amazed at how much they were able to do with the schlocky punchline lawyer.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Klaaz posted:

A buddy of mine has been pimping it at me for years, but I haven’t gotten round to it yet, and described it yesterday thusly: that BB showed a lot of its characters in a way that made them hate-able, but BCS goes out of its way to get you to like all its characters, even the bad ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Jimmy is infinitely more likeable than Walter ever was, and it hurts far more to see him struggle with his paths in life. I personally think the first three or so seasons have been more engaging than the last two, but his story and how is getting to its end is fare more affecting than I feel like it ever it ever got in BB.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm almost to the end of Peep Show. If you like the kind of comedy where the main characters are terrible people and the source of all their own problems, it's a must-see.

The episode with the canal boat (Holiday, season 5) is absolutely a masterclass in comedy writing.

Take a ridiculous concept like Jeremy eats a woman's dog in front of her, and work backwards through all the steps to make this not only plausible, but absolutely unavoidable, given who the characters are. Excellent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not a popular opinion, but I think BCS was pretty great for the first season and then just became kinda blah the next two seasons. The acting is really great all the way through, but I just stopped caring about any of the characters. And season three really started piling the Remember this from Breaking Bad?! stuff on heavily enough that I didn't bother finishing it. I'll probably binge through it once it's finished.

I'd say if you're into acting and cinematography it's probably up your alley. Beautiful sweeping scenes of concrete drying are literally a thing in the show.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Allright then, will try it again once I'm done with Black Mirror!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday I decided to turn on Dexter as my background noise show for the next few days, but I am absolutely not letting it run past season 5.

Man, those last 3 seasons sucked.