Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Internet Explorer posted:

Would it be insane to buy a Gesture w/ headrest sight unseen directly from Steelcase? Seems like they have 30 day free return, which I assume would just involve paying for shipping, which probably isn't cheap.

So my office let me take home a chair while we're all working from home-- and I joined the company two weeks ago, after all the sites had been closed so I've never actually been to the office.

It turns out they use Steelcase Gestures and it feels way more comfortable than my (10 year old) Leap chair, so far.

Neither of my chairs have headrest-- and it's kind of annoying that it appears to not be a part you could add on to the chair later. So if you think you would like it, get the headrest. But after using this chair for a few hours, I think the Gesture feels very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I was thinking of getting a Steelcase gesture, but I find myself sitting like a loving idiot all the time where I sit sideways or bring my feet up as side kind of like a Victorian lady having a picnic. Would something like this be a total waste of my money?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, I did it. I ordered the Gesture with a headrest. Guess we'll find out soon enough if this was a bad idea!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I was thinking of getting a Steelcase gesture, but I find myself sitting like a loving idiot all the time where I sit sideways or bring my feet up as side kind of like a Victorian lady having a picnic. Would something like this be a total waste of my money?

Iirc the marketing was specifically about how people constantly sit like loving idiots so they designed the gesture.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

Iirc the marketing was specifically about how people constantly sit like loving idiots so they designed the gesture.

Ugh, yeah. Sorry I didn't get to you in time; we have Gestures at work and I am not a fan.

It's possible that my frame just isn't suited for them, but they always felt like they were subtly trying to dump me onto the floor.

Some people like them, so maybe you're the target demographic! If not, don't be shy about shipping it back and trying something else, I guess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, I'm actually the idiot who ordered it without trying one first. Just kinda hard to go to the local store and test out chairs in a pandemic.

I figure if it costs me $100 to send it back, it is what is is. When you're spending $1,200 on a chair you can't really balk at an extra $100. It's funny, because I remember thinking $600 was a ton of money 12 years ago when I bought my Ergohuman, but that thing has treated me well in that time frame, to the point where I probably saved money on chairs.

I'm excited! I didn't think I could go away from a mesh bottom chair, but I used a normal bottom chair at work and it wasn't the end of the world.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I am intrigued to learn that the Gesture has a headrest option, though. That's something I didn't know before!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My work chair is so much worse than my Steelcase Think that I have at home that I'm trying to never go back to the office

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm in hour four of zoom/meet events today and slid into bottom left JUST before seeing that pic, thanks for nothing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mobby_6kl posted:

I feel like the Gesture doesn't even do anything for that. The arms are marginally more mobile than a regular chair and . . . that's it really.

Go ahead and ignore me, though; I just . . . am so underwhelmed by that chair in general.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm that person who goes through every single position on that chart in the span of an hour.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

mobby_6kl posted:

I feel very attacked, but also please ELI5 how the Gesture fixes these problems. I believe that it is more comfortable than my Leap chair, but I am not sure if that just means I have configured my leap chair REALLY poorly, and it could be better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MetaJew posted:

I feel very attacked, but also please ELI5 how the Gesture fixes these problems. I believe that it is more comfortable than my Leap chair, but I am not sure if that just means I have configured my leap chair REALLY poorly, and it could be better.

It was explained to me the Gesture conforms to your seating positions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No idea how it's supposed to work. I have the Leap at work and that addresses #3, #7 and kind of #2 by letting you push the back past the initial resistance and recline further without it pushing you back up too much. This is pretty nice, my home chair doesn't work like that. Otherwise I can't see what it could do.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

https://seatingmind.com/haworth-zody-chair-mesh-back-in-gray-fully-adjustable-model/ guy selling two of these on CL (one is only height adjustable arms, not "4D" adjustable) for $60 and $50. going to look at them in a little bit. there's nothing obvious and terrible about these, right? this seems like a steal, i hope he got laid off and looted his office.

edit: dont know about steal but im super happy with them given what poo poo is available for $150 from staples. way nicer than my ikea crap. i also got a $25 ergonomic footrest from amazon and a monitor stand so everything is ergonomically sound :coal:

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 26, 2020

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Recently learned I can go snag one of the Herman Miller Mira's from work, but none of them have adjustable armrests. If I buy some on eBay, would I just be able to remove the static ones and replace them with the adjustable ones?

Edit: I'm also positive there is some chair cabal manipulating SEO to make diy chair repair difficult.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 26, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Thinking about grabbing a used leap 2, some questions though.

If the arm rests pivot that means they're they 4d ones right?
From the insides of the armrests at their widest position how wide is that?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 27, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Thinking about grabbing a used leap 2, some questions though.

If the arm rests pivot that means they're they 4d ones right?
From the insides of the armrests at their widest position how wide is that?

1. Yep, the other 2 options are armless and height only.
2. Roughly 20 inches. The narrowest has it around under 16 inches.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

1. Yep, the other 2 options are armless and height only.
2. Roughly 20 inches. The narrowest has it around under 16 inches.

20? dang, that's about 5 inches less than my cheapo office max chair, though it is a bit huge. I wish I could sit in one but that doesn't seem likely right now, any 6'2" 280lb people who still like the leap 2? I know it says rated for 400lbs but actual people opinions matter more to me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

20? dang, that's about 5 inches less than my cheapo office max chair, though it is a bit huge. I wish I could sit in one but that doesn't seem likely right now, any 6'2" 280lb people who still like the leap 2? I know it says rated for 400lbs but actual people opinions matter more to me.

I'm 6 ft, ~280lbs, I find the Leap v2 better than the Aeron I was using prior. In the Aeron, my circulation at my knees would be cut off due to the stiff frame at the end despite adjusting the chair. The mesh was just having a hard time maintaining my weight. Don't have the problem at all on the Leap.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 27, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm 6 ft, ~280lbs, I find the Leap v2 better than the Aeron I was using prior. In the Aeron, my circulation at my knees would be cut off due to the stiff frame at the end despite adjusting the chair. The mesh was just having a hard time maintaining my weight. Don't have the problem at all on the Leap.

Yeah I was actually thinking that about the Aeron just looking at it, I had a mesh chair from somewhere and I wasn't really a fan either. Another contender for me is the Humanscale Freedom, or to be honest I'll take any reasonably good padded style chair made of cloth or fabric that will fit nicely and not only last a year or 2 before it sheds black flakes all over my basement office and costs under the mid 300s. the weird adaptive lumbar support these chairs have make me worry a bit though, I tend to sit like a doofus. I guess blind buying a chair is dumb, I should've learned this lesson blind buying mattresses last year.

which leap bases are metal? I'm seeing black ones and Aluminum ones and "platinum" ones, I saw one labeled "titanium" too. sometimes there's a price premium for "platinum".

Edit: perhaps not, seems that seatingmind has a million terrible reviews.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 29, 2020

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
To chime in on the Steelcase Gesture discussion:

I bought one with all the frills (headrest, armrests, adjustable back-support) just before the pandemic hit because my Ikea chair was on its last breath. And it's really just the best. I've spent all day on it for the last 5 weeks of quarantine during work-from-home, 9 hour work days, do a bit of exercise, then immediately sit back down on it for another 5 hours for gaming and internet stuff. And it's really fantastic, no fatigue or anything.

You can't really slouch on it, and you can't fix it in the backwards position, the back rest kinda always follows you, that's why some people think it pushes you on the floor. But if you adjust it right, get the backrest resistance to the level where you don't have to forcibly push backwards against it, it's a fantastic chair. It feels firm, yet nothing is really solid, everything is cushioned just right. Even the armrests, which look like hard plastic, give slightly in if you push against it.

Also, it's really built like a tank. Not that it's massive, but nothing rattles or creaks whatsoever. I noticed this most when I still had to go to work at the office, after using the Steelcase at home in the evening, the slight squeaking of the office chairs became very apparent.

So if you have any questions ask away, I'd immediately buy another if I had the chance. And 10 years of warranty is a sign that Steelcase really trusts their own product.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Can you attach a headrest to a gesture that didn’t come with one?

If so, what are some good sites to buy parts like that?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Does anyone have any insight on footrests or ergonomic footrests? My Aeron is great but it's ever so slightly too tall for me, like to a degree where if I wear shoes its cool but if I take my shoes off my feet kind o want to hover.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it’s the thickness of your sole too high then a footstool is going to be overkill. How about those rubber mat things that go together like jigsaws that people put down for their kids to play on?

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

Can you attach a headrest to a gesture that didn’t come with one?

If so, what are some good sites to buy parts like that?

No you can't, if you look it up on the website the whole back part looks different with a headrest.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Xenthalon posted:

To chime in on the Steelcase Gesture discussion:

I bought one with all the frills (headrest, armrests, adjustable back-support) just before the pandemic hit because my Ikea chair was on its last breath. And it's really just the best. I've spent all day on it for the last 5 weeks of quarantine during work-from-home, 9 hour work days, do a bit of exercise, then immediately sit back down on it for another 5 hours for gaming and internet stuff. And it's really fantastic, no fatigue or anything.

You can't really slouch on it, and you can't fix it in the backwards position, the back rest kinda always follows you, that's why some people think it pushes you on the floor. But if you adjust it right, get the backrest resistance to the level where you don't have to forcibly push backwards against it, it's a fantastic chair. It feels firm, yet nothing is really solid, everything is cushioned just right. Even the armrests, which look like hard plastic, give slightly in if you push against it.

Interesting, I didn't know they came with headrests! I guess the office skimped. Of course they fuckin' did

I think, for me, why it feels like it's gonna dump me on the floor is because the seat pan doesn't really tilt at all when you lean back. And, in the upright position, the seat pan feels like it's a degree or two tipped to the floor, rather than perfectly flat. I'm not sure if it's how I'm distributed on the padding, or what. But I think I most notice it when I have the back locked to full-upright (because I put my feet up on a shelf under my desk when I'm leaned all the way back, so my legs are horizontal)

To be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of the Leap we had before that, either. It was just a very basic level of "eh, it's fine" rather than a mild irritation with it, though, so maybe chairs and I just don't get along like we should?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

found a leap 2 at a office place used for 200, but now I'm home and I'm noticing that the gas piston is basically touching the floor, it drags on carpet, also the arm rests feel like the rubber or whatever isn't connected to the physical armrest anymore, like a phone with a silicone case that doesn't really fit the phone and flops around, but I don't think they are covers, guess I'll try the place on Monday and see if I can swap it out for one of the other ones. :smith:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

found a leap 2 at a office place used for 200, but now I'm home and I'm noticing that the gas piston is basically touching the floor, it drags on carpet, also the arm rests feel like the rubber or whatever isn't connected to the physical armrest anymore, like a phone with a silicone case that doesn't really fit the phone and flops around, but I don't think they are covers, guess I'll try the place on Monday and see if I can swap it out for one of the other ones. :smith:

If not, another goon a bit upthread (not very far iirc) said that he had to get shims to move his gas piston up a bit.

As for the armrests, outside of "glue, idk?" I dunno what help I am there :(

Hopefully they have a nicer one you can just swap to though!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Zarin posted:

If not, another goon a bit upthread (not very far iirc) said that he had to get shims to move his gas piston up a bit.

As for the armrests, outside of "glue, idk?" I dunno what help I am there :(

Hopefully they have a nicer one you can just swap to though!

Well, I took apart the armrest assembly and it looks brand new inside, definitely not OEM, also I'm not seeing anyone online talking about rubber armrests on their leaps and all the other leaps there had the rubber, so I'm thinking they refurbish in shop. I might just take the rubber off and wrap the foam insert in some fabric, as far as the gas strut goes, I haven't really decided what to do yet, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the same thing, and that post you led me too had a pretty good link to a new piston that apparently sits higher to prevent this very problem, I might just get some big rear end Rollerblade wheels, considering I was about to throw 400 at one of these chairs, I'm still in the green if I have to buy these new things.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

oh btw I've seen the Zody chair come up a few times in this thread when I searched and not a lot of commentary when people ask. it's nice. i prefer it to my aeron chair at work, however i'm not saying it's "better," i'm just an aeron non believer. its way way way better than my un ergonomic ikea chair, literally just being able to slide the "seat pan" forward made me cry with joy.

so if anyone is like "Hey is this a real chair is it good?" yes. it is also extremely catte approved.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

charity rereg posted:

oh btw I've seen the Zody chair come up a few times in this thread when I searched and not a lot of commentary when people ask. it's nice. i prefer it to my aeron chair at work, however i'm not saying it's "better," i'm just an aeron non believer. its way way way better than my un ergonomic ikea chair, literally just being able to slide the "seat pan" forward made me cry with joy.

so if anyone is like "Hey is this a real chair is it good?" yes. it is also extremely catte approved.

If I can ask, what is it about the Aeron that you don't like?

I think that one ended up on my short list the last time I was out looking (which was like 4 years ago) so I figured I'd take a note on what to look for or whatever, if you don't mind sharing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

We have Aerons (or potentially knockoff Aerons? A chair expert I am not) in the conference rooms at work, and maybe it changes if you're in them for hours at a time, but I have to say I've never found them particularly comfortable.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The biggest complaint I've seen about Aerons is that the framed mesh design can lead to a pressure point on your legs at the frame, with severe cases possibly resulting in loss of blood circulation. Actual results will vary according to personal weight.

Some people swear by mesh seating but the fabric/foam used by top brands is perfectly fine in my book, arguably better since I'm one of those restless sitters like in the Gesture pic someone linked not too long ago. :shrug:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I tried out an Aeron and a Mirra with the lumbar yesterday and I vastly preferred the Mirra.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I am 5'10 190 so not tiny but not obese. I find the aeron lumbar support really lovely, in fact I've had it pop off the back of the chair numerous times. I am a fidgeter and I find that the mesh actually rubs the back of my pants from moving around on what just isn't a comfy seat for me. I find I can never get the right recline for a proper ergonomic fit and still wind up scooting forward and slouching. I have broad shoulders and my shoulders seem to hit the Aeron in a way that makes me kind of hunch forward? Dunno.

Just unimpressed with it especially for the cost. I think from my research I got a really nice price on the 4D armrest Zody (&50 for the one with just up & down is pretty nice too) but even at $100-150 IMO it blows away an Aeron for 450 for me personally. That said at the beginning of WFH I bought one of those $25 height adjustable footrests and a dual monitor clamp stand so my ergonomic setup is fairly nice in general.

I've sat in Aerons for almost 10 years at work idk I don't hate them but they're just not as comfy for me as a real seat pad.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 1, 2020

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.
I've had Aerons at work, and I've never found them especially comfortable, until I started having some back pain that didn't feel nearly as bad at work. After getting one for home my back pain has gone away completely. (I was using one of those silly racing/gaming chairs.) My experience is that aerons may not be the most comfortable chair, but they are quite ergonomic.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is it easy to remove the back of a Mirra 2? trying to transport one with minimal fuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

BannedNewbie posted:

I've had Aerons at work, and I've never found them especially comfortable, until I started having some back pain that didn't feel nearly as bad at work. After getting one for home my back pain has gone away completely. (I was using one of those silly racing/gaming chairs.) My experience is that aerons may not be the most comfortable chair, but they are quite ergonomic.

Just want to note that people have reported chairs both causing and curing back pain in this thread, whether it's an Aeron or a Leap or something else. The human body is perhaps a little too good at adapting sometimes.