Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

0 is like, the second most recently made one that isn't a remake. Its also the best one in the series by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been in the room while a friend played one yakuza game or another and it's all i needed to know i will never be interested in a yakuza game

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

shoc77 posted:

Has anyone played Crypt of the Necrodancers before?

I was just browsing through Steam and this was part of the Buy Music to Your Ear bundle that caught my attention. I've been trying to find reviews and gameplay of this game but there aren't many out there and none of them seem to be able to explain adequately how the gameplay is like.

It's, like, Audish/TSG's favorite game: https://goldplatedgames.com/2017/09/02/review-crypt-of-the-necrodancer/

To further amplify what's already been said: it's basically a perfect game. It's extremely not for everybody, but for people who it's for, it's totally flawless. It's hard as gently caress but if you keep at it there will be a point during almost every session where you are really flowing and the game hits a high that is real hard to find in any other game. And then you die and spend the next hour trying to get it again. So yeah, it's heroin.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can’t believe all of the people complaining about the gameplay of a game where 80% of the time is spent cracking dudes in the head with a baseball bat. I guess I’m just a different kind of player.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I greatly enjoyed Y0's main plot and the cabaret minigame. Combat was fair-to-good, buoyed somewhat by the brutality of the heat actions (and the always amusing narrative dissonance of that brutality); I've enjoyed other beatemups more, but it was solid

I honestly thought half the side-stories were kinda badly written and too unreal for me to suspend disbelief

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Joe Man posted:

Literally the only reason I finished it is if a potentially later entry in the series isn't repetitive garbage and wouldn't miss out on any context. I like to play things in order too.

Well, the latest entry in the series changed the combat system completely!

It is now a turn-based JRPG, modeled on Dragoon Quest, because the new protagonist is a huge nerd. So, probably not moving in the direction you hoped. The Yakuza games have always been more RPG than action game, at heart, and now they're bringing that to the forefront.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ShootaBoy posted:

0 is like, the second most recently made one that isn't a remake. Its also the best one in the series by far.

Technically there's Judgement but I don't they ever talked about porting it to PC?

Weirdly, I was sure 6 was also on Steam but checked just now and there's no news for 2 years or so.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I greatly enjoyed Y0's main plot and the cabaret minigame. Combat was fair-to-good, buoyed somewhat by the brutality of the heat actions (and the always amusing narrative dissonance of that brutality); I've enjoyed other beatemups more, but it was solid

I honestly thought half the side-stories were kinda badly written and too unreal for me to suspend disbelief

The sidequests definitely don't make sense within the reality of the game no. They shouldn't work, but somehow they do, you just have to kind of let go and accept it

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yakuza's cabaret minigame is basically Diner Dash with perverts, and Diner Dash is a pretty well-proven formula

That's a good comparison, yeah. It's like if Diner Dash was easier and more rewarding

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I've been playing a bunch of it too. Getting data out of the unexplored lakes or trying to catch contract fish feels like a little puzzle in figuring out what the drat fish wants. It's also surprisingly pretty in motion given how simple the graphics are.

This looks terrible as a screenshot but in motion it was really cool to see those birds fly through as I was parked at this deep-water "hole" and fishing happily

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not always in the mood for a Yakuza game because I have a really hard time coming back to something halfway through, so I have to play the game all at once, but when I'm in that mood those games loving deliver.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
The music is what makes the cabaret minigame work for me personally. I'd always get pumped when it kicks up a notch for turbo mode or whatever it was.

Similarly, the music is what made me find most side stories super aggravating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZ3cWCh1Es

Fuckin kill my ears

The soundtrack overall is great though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trickyblackjack posted:

The music is what makes the cabaret minigame work for me personally. I'd always get pumped when it kicks up a notch for turbo mode or whatever it was.

Similarly, the music is what made me find most side stories super aggravating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZ3cWCh1Es

Fuckin kill my ears

The soundtrack overall is great though.

Oh wow what the gently caress

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I got a lot of love in my heart for an extremely content rich stupid game. I don’t always have time for them in my life, but sometimes getting really into the weeds with a dumbass hack and slash is what I need.

Shouts out to Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors. Final Fantasy XV has been treating me well in that regard, too, and it seems like Nier Automata will serve the same role.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Helping a dom being more confident at her job was very wholesome content :colbert:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Oh wow what the gently caress

But then it pulls out something like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYrv601WBw

and I'm 1000% back in!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trickyblackjack posted:

But then it pulls out something like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYrv601WBw

and I'm 1000% back in!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQa1SA3EtI

Almost worth it to grind your way through the bullshit required to unlock boss rush mode.

I've finished, reviewed and am looking forward to playing more of a whole bunch of Diner Dash clones on steam, so the cabaret was basically the perfect minigame for me.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 29, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm in the middle of Y0 right now myself and add me to the "god the cabaret club sucks" crew. I may be a bit of an outlier because I'm... 76 hours in and only at chapter 11 due to going ham on all the goals and side games in Kiryu's half of the story. My biggest beef with the cabaret stuff versus the real estate (which I've already 100%ed) is that the cabaret is full attention at all times, especially in the club combats, but I can start the real estate collection and then go do other poo poo. Minigame multitasking. Cabaret brings my gameplay to a screeching halt 5-10 minutes at a time depending on how much prep and training I do before each run of the club.

Again, though, this may be an OCD thing because I'm gaining on 80% done and the biggest remaining things for me right now are cabaret goals, fishing, and teaching myself to play mahjong/shogi.

No Wave posted:

I liked Y0's plot. I still can't remember why Kiryu was framed though

At least where I'm at, dunno if this changes: It's a move by one of the other lieutenants to cause the disgrace and downfall of Kiryu's mentor so a captain's position can open up for them.

\/\/ edit: you are not wrong and that real estate battle was infuriating

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 29, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only bad part of Yakuza 0 is the catfight club, all other opinions are objectively trash

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
My one hangup with the Yak0 OST is that this rad as hell tune only plays when you're checking the results of your expeditions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfzk5WyqM_8

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Is majima his first name or family name

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got a lot of love in my heart for an extremely content rich stupid game. I don’t always have time for them in my life, but sometimes getting really into the weeds with a dumbass hack and slash is what I need.

Shouts out to Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors. Final Fantasy XV has been treating me well in that regard, too, and it seems like Nier Automata will serve the same role.

Nier Automata rules but it's definitely not dumb. Unless you just mean "easy to play" then you can customize it to make it extremely that. Like "press one button and the game literally plays itself" easy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Trickyblackjack posted:

its his family's name :haw:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

the Goro Majima name, explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwcEpBRnsY

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xander77 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQa1SA3EtI

Almost worth it to grind your way through the bullshit required to unlock boss rush mode.
I love Kuze's character, and this music. Easiest frisson ever when the chorus[?] starts at 1:49 :allears:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

OzFactor posted:

It's, like, Audish/TSG's favorite game: https://goldplatedgames.com/2017/09/02/review-crypt-of-the-necrodancer/

To further amplify what's already been said: it's basically a perfect game. It's extremely not for everybody, but for people who it's for, it's totally flawless. It's hard as gently caress but if you keep at it there will be a point during almost every session where you are really flowing and the game hits a high that is real hard to find in any other game. And then you die and spend the next hour trying to get it again. So yeah, it's heroin.

Myself and both my kids have managed to get to the end of a run, so it's got pretty wide appeal. The base game isn't too super-hard once you understand what you have to do, but there's also a ton of additional gimmicks/characters to really add difficulty once you get through the basic run. I liked my time with it a lot, but that stuff was not for me!

It was the first game my son beat before I did, in fact.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know at least two people other than me who post in here will be tentatively excited by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgyWjjXikM

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's crazy how much work Techland's still putting into that game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"what if stardew valley wanted to kill you?" :crossarms:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/757320/Atomicrops/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Orv posted:

I know at least two people other than me who post in here will be tentatively excited by this.

I clicked it, closed the video as soon as I saw Dying Light, reopened it when I saw Hellraid. Thank gently caress they're doing something with that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to punch the poo poo out of a skeleton

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Joe Man posted:

Literally the only reason I finished it is if a potentially later entry in the series isn't repetitive garbage and wouldn't miss out on any context. I like to play things in order too.

This is one of the worst reasons I've ever read for completing a bad game.

"This game is trash, but I better finish it because of the minor chance I'll play another trash entry in the series, and I don't want to be mildly confused."

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Orv posted:

No. Way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I am completely ready to play through Dying Light for the third time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... I see "dungeon" on the steam page for the dlc, is this going to be another "boy I sure love parkouring and grappling hooking around these pretty vertical cityscapes" "what if... somewhere you CAN'T do that, though??" like the Following?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is one of the worst reasons I've ever read for completing a bad game.

"This game is trash, but I better finish it because of the minor chance I'll play another trash entry in the series, and I don't want to be mildly confused."
Yeah okay but counterpoint:

EDIT: I also hammered through Watchdogs 1 before starting WD2. There's a difference between just doing the main/side stories and calling it done vs 100%'ing it. Y0 wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't filled with so many pointless cutscenes/wastes of time that add nothing other than bloat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 29, 2020

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The Joe Man posted:

Calling Yakuza games repetitive garbage is certainly a take.

e: like maybe if you just go through the story and never look at the upgrades and minigames or something. And never touching the coliseum, just mashing one button in all the fights like it's an AssCred game

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 29, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

I know what Hellraid is/was but I also don’t really know what this means but sure I’ll play more Dying Light (that isn’t that BR mode they tried).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What are some games that have a honey I shrunk the kids thing going on ie small toys in a typical room. I got mean greens and I might get that new hypercharged unboxed but I think there's a few more

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I know what Hellraid is/was but I also don’t really know what this means but sure I’ll play more Dying Light (that isn’t that BR mode they tried).

My assumption is a limited slice of what Hellraid was originally going to be, given the DLC status and the arcade cabinet thing, but I'll still take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are some games that have a honey I shrunk the kids thing going on ie small toys in a typical room. I got mean greens and I might get that new hypercharged unboxed but I think there's a few more

Toy Soldiers, Micro Machines, Tracks