Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They use those kinds of tractor pulled mowers at the tallgrass prairie preserve I work at, usually in areas where they can't do a controlled burn for some reason (too close to structures or a cornfield or something). The ease with which they plow through shoulder height growth is pretty cool, and if you walk the field after they're done it's endless half-inch thick twigs that got shredded down to about four inches tall. They do about 200 acres in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is my favorite mower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3D4FN5cdZk

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StormDrain posted:

Could you imagine trying to wear a flip flop if it was permanently split like that?

He'd need a custom Tabi sock, I'll tell you what.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

xzzy posted:

They use those kinds of tractor pulled mowers at the tallgrass prairie preserve I work at, usually in areas where they can't do a controlled burn for some reason (too close to structures or a cornfield or something). The ease with which they plow through shoulder height growth is pretty cool, and if you walk the field after they're done it's endless half-inch thick twigs that got shredded down to about four inches tall. They do about 200 acres in a day.

Ever had any boar go through them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

Lost fingat at hostpital post mote later?

I'm so glad I've never had a run-in with a mower.

Same. A few close ones (like many things. I've been incredibly lucky at times) but no damage so far.
I wear shoes to mow, but not usually steel toes. Reconsidering that.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

All I’m saying is I work in trauma surgery and you guys are lucky to have all your poo poo relatively intact...

Don't I know it. Just thinking about stuff like that makes me cringe in sympathy.

....:stonk:
Mother of God.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ever had any boar go through them?

No boars up here but I can imagine a muskrat or two have had a really lovely day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Holy gently caress. Talk about spinning death. The noise that thing makes is insane.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

getting some real Peahat vibes and I'm not about it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

Nahh, for that sort of job you want goats. Lots of goats. Not as fast maybe, but a lower carbon footprint and less capital intensive. The campus where I work is very hilly, so in the lead up to grass fire season we bring in goats to clear the grass. They get it right down to bare dirt, which grows back. They're also quieter and cuter than mechanical mowers.

http://www.rentaruminant.com/goats-for-land-clearing.html

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Props are so old school! Why not get with the times and use a turbine engine like the rest of us?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a prairie preserve and goats aren't native to Illinois. :v:

They prefer to manage with fire because everything native to the region is adapted to recover after a fire, but sometimes you can't burn a spot so the lawn mowers gotta suffice.

They do have a bison herd on site that I think would be cool to let them graze the fields, but for some reason it's not done.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I wish I had taken some pics of the carnage our Bobcat mower attachment has been through.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Get one of these badboys, no grass is safe

Holy crap, I worked on the engineering team that designed the previous version of that!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Unfortunately I have no pictures, but we had someone make a very impressive (and expensive) noise at work by backing a running turboprop into a ladder.

Apparently the ladder was under the wing for maintenance, and a ground crew was going to reposition the airplane by taxiing it, and failed to see the ladder before they pushed the airplane back with an engine started.

At idle, the propeller isn't spinning terribly fast (maybe 400RPM), but it's 13.5' in diameter, so the blades still have a lot of energy behind them.

When the prop hit the ladder, it drat near launched bits of the ladder into orbit (since the blades move upwards on that side), accompanied by large chunks of a propeller blade that had shattered when it whacked into the ladder.

The propeller was a total loss, but since the propeller gearbox isn't directly attached to the power section of the engine, they just had to swap the gearbox instead of pulling a $1.3 million engine for overhaul.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Joe Mama posted:

I wish I had taken some pics of the carnage our Bobcat mower attachment has been through.

Holy crap, I worked on the engineering team that designed the previous version of that!
Oh poo poo, you worked for senator Grassley??

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 29, 2020

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Every time I see this video I wonder about the tip speed of that blade. It's got to be pushing like, high caliber handgun velocity right? It sounds insane. Speaking of which:

azflyboy posted:

When the prop hit the ladder, it drat near launched bits of the ladder into orbit (since the blades move upwards on that side), accompanied by large chunks of a propeller blade that had shattered when it whacked into the ladder.

13.5 feet at 400 RPM is just under 200mph of tip speed which is on par with a commercial mower.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

It even sounds demonic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Every time I see this video I wonder about the tip speed of that blade. It's got to be pushing like, high caliber handgun velocity right? It sounds insane.

I loaded the video into Audacity and counted the peaks in the sound, assuming that each one represents a blade passing the camera:

I counted 100 peaks in 4.81 seconds, which equals 1247 peaks in 60 seconds or 624 RPM since there are two blades. I estimate that the blade has a radius of 8 feet, meaning the blade tip sweeps out an arc ~50 feet in circumference 624 times per minute or 37,440 times per hour. That gives us a tip speed of 354 miles per hour.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I loaded the video into Audacity and counted the peaks in the sound, assuming that each one represents a blade passing the camera:

I counted 100 peaks in 4.81 seconds, which equals 1247 peaks in 60 seconds or 624 RPM since there are two blades. I estimate that the blade has a radius of 8 feet, meaning the blade tip sweeps out an arc ~50 feet in circumference 624 times per minute or 37,440 times per hour. That gives us a tip speed of 354 miles per hour.

How does this thing not fly?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's not on a treadmill.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It weighs a lot and the blades aren’t shaped to provide significant force perpendicular to rotation.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

Holy crap that's terrifying and amazing at the same time. The spool-up sound sure is something. I had a large rc helicopter with around a 6ft tip-to-tip blades and that was scary enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No blade pitch means no thrust

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

azflyboy posted:

The propeller was a total loss, but since the propeller gearbox isn't directly attached to the power section of the engine, they just had to swap the gearbox instead of pulling a $1.3 million engine for overhaul.

By "power section" do you mean the gas generator section? My layman's understanding is that the power turbine is what powers the propeller gearbox. I'm not criticizing your terminology, merely trying to wrap my head around it. You actually work on the drat things so please forgive any ignorance or lack of understanding on my part, I merely watch a lot of AgentJayZ :shobon:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Power turbines, the part attached to the transmission and prop, have their own shaft not connected to the rest of the jet engine, or as it's properly known, gas generator. So a sudden stop of the power turbine won't ruin the gas generator.

The purple bit is the power turbine. Green is the gas generator.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 29, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

um excuse me posted:

Power turbines, the part attached to the transmission and prop, have their own shaft not connected to the rest of the jet engine, or as it's properly known, gas generator. So a sudden stop of the power turbine won't ruin the gas generator.

just step a little closer, it's perfectly safe.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Beach Bum posted:

By "power section" do you mean the gas generator section? My layman's understanding is that the power turbine is what powers the propeller gearbox. I'm not criticizing your terminology, merely trying to wrap my head around it. You actually work on the drat things so please forgive any ignorance or lack of understanding on my part, I merely watch a lot of AgentJayZ :shobon:

It basically works like a torque converter between the turbine and the gearbox. There's no physical connection, think of one fan blowing on another fan.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

chrisgt posted:

one fan blowing on another fan.

Trekkie convention all over again

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

It basically works like a torque converter between the turbine and the gearbox. There's no physical connection, think of one fan blowing on another fan.

Just wanted to say honestly a thank you for the simple explanation.

Now it all makes sense.

Of course raises the question in my mind, a torque converter has fluid in it and how does that compare with superheated air.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now it all makes sense.

Of course raises the question in my mind, a torque converter has fluid in it and how does that compare with superheated air.

superheated air is just another, thinner, fluid.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now it all makes sense.

There's a hydraulic connection there. Like any fluid, it isn't a rigid interaction. Two halves of the converter just pass a fluid back and forth to each other using centripetal force. If one half is spinning and the other is not, the fluid is spun up by the moving half and it's momentum is transferred to the stationary half when the working fluid gets passed onto it, generating torque on the output. In a very basic way it's still just one propeller pushing a fluid onto another.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, I meant to write "gas generator, but had a complete brain fart and typed something else. My bad.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

um excuse me posted:

There's a hydraulic connection there. Like any fluid, it isn't a rigid interaction. Two halves of the converter just pass a fluid back and forth to each other using centripetal force. If one half is spinning and the other is not, the fluid is spun up by the moving half and it's momentum is transferred to the stationary half when the working fluid gets passed onto it, generating torque on the output. In a very basic way it's still just one propeller pushing a fluid onto another.

So if the power turbine is stopped suddenly does the resulting reduction in fluid(air) movement not still get transferred back to the compressor parts and cause them to suddenly slow due to the reduced flow?

(or is this slowing just buffered enough by the air/fluid and the design of the blades on everything such that it prevents damage?)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
now I'm wondering if there is a common term for air-hammer like water-hammer, or if compressibility makes that not a thing

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

There's a theory that a air-hammer type event was responsible for so much of Aloha 243s roof blowing off.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

taqueso posted:

now I'm wondering if there is a common term for air-hammer like water-hammer, or if compressibility makes that not a thing

Bomb?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

So if the power turbine is stopped suddenly does the resulting reduction in fluid(air) movement not still get transferred back to the compressor parts and cause them to suddenly slow due to the reduced flow?

(or is this slowing just buffered enough by the air/fluid and the design of the blades on everything such that it prevents damage?)

Depends how the system is designed. Bleed valves may take that surge of fluid and route it outside of the engine (this is what a wastegate literally is). However fluid dynamics isn't consistently intuitive. A stopped turbine will produce less stress on the generator than one that is spinning and driving something like a propeller due to the way that a fluid stalls on air foils.

taqueso posted:

Surge, typically.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Surge, typically.

https://youtu.be/mgp19QhrlqU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How are there no youtube videos of really big turbos barking

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Tomarse posted:

It does, but since air compresses and the engine isn't a sealed container, the compressor blades slow down (relatively) gradually, so that alone won't cause damage.

However, disrupting the airflow through the compressor is a good way to set off a compressor stall or surge, and depending on how hard the engine is working at the time, the resulting spike in temperature (since airflow isn't going the right way), compressor speed (which accelerates because the stall suddenly removes a lot of load from the turbine), and vibration (due to disrupted airflow inside the engine) can easily cause serious damage if the FADEC system doesn't cut back on the fuel flow quick enough.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The time attack car i used to work on didn't have a bov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIYc3CjY-4

so that chirp between shifts is surge. Turbo is a gen 1 gtx3582, think peak boost was 38psi and it made 747whp?

The engines blew up a lot but the turbos seemed to hold up fine. To contribute to the thread this happened the next morning on the first hot lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6v76JXWlIc

hmmmm

whoops

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

um excuse me posted:

Well poo poo, I always assumed it was a physical connection.