Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Make fried boudin balls and float them in your bowl of gumbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

poo poo, this thread just reminded me I still had some boudin in the fridge that needed to be consumed. Thanks for the lunch idea y'all!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Make sure you give those balls a good coating of batter or breading otherwise they will soak up hot oil and get all hollowed out and nasty.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Post good boudin recipes right now itt

Especially crawfish boudin recipes cuz I’ve been wanting to make that poo poo for a while

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The_Doctor posted:

Ahh, you didn’t say you had a beach house. I thought you were just rocking up to the beach now it was open. Apologies.
No worries, sorry for being intense.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I put andouille on the pizza I made yesterday. When do I get my air boat?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Did you say "Bam!" when you put it on?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

That Works posted:

Bay leaves, onions, couple heads of garlic. For a boil I'd just use kielbasa imo.
The fish market had head-on 10-12 count jumbos, so they worked great for the boil. I couldn't find decent sausage, so I skipped that part. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Did you say "Bam!" when you put it on?

I did not. Do I lose points for that? I’ll settle for a two-horsepower outboard motor on an aluminum skiff and permission to talk like Farmer Fran.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hey, you guys wanna get mad? Also, the pronunciation of Leah, just to spite me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfrqxqR4bJo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Hey, you guys wanna get mad? Also, the pronunciation of Leah, just to spite me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfrqxqR4bJo

everything about the real recipe they are following seems insane to me: missing 2/3 of the trinity, no meats ever get browned, roux isn't dark, water instead of stock

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Has anyone posted the drunk cajun cooking video yet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

eke out posted:

everything about the real recipe they are following seems insane to me: missing 2/3 of the trinity, no meats ever get browned, roux isn't dark, water instead of stock

What’s also weird is I’ve been to Dooky Chase and had the gumbo, and I don’t remember it being anything like that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Put andouille on everything, if anybody tries to stop me I'll go nuts on em

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has anyone posted the drunk cajun cooking video yet?

are you referring to the dumb meme that’s been floating around based on Justin Wilson’s PBS show?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seafood gumbo to wake this thread up.

I made a roux to put in the fridge for a gumbo tomorrow. Never done this before, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That is a fine lookin gumbo my friend. I too am interested in pre-prepping roux, that would be a nice time saver if it works out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Seafood gumbo to wake this thread up.

I made a roux to put in the fridge for a gumbo tomorrow. Never done this before, I’ll let you know how it goes.

That's a FINE looking gumbo!

Prepping roux in advance totally works, just be prepared for a workout tomorrow. The flour will settle out of the oil and become a brick on the bottom. It will take enough force to break it up initially that you will want to be really careful in that glass container.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ve used commercially jarred roux, so I know about the thiccness.

That seafood gumbo was an adventure. I used lard for the roux, and—I suspect—added the stock I made when it wasn’t hot enough. So I ended up skimming the separated roux as best I could, then making another roux and adding it to the proto gumbo.

I almost always do it the reverse way, adding stock to the roux. But this came out amazing. Very dark roux and very flavorful gumbo.

We’ll see how tomorrow goes. These suckas are going in it.

Two bits for scale.

Also a bunch more shrimp, gumbo crabs, and claw meat. Andouille and okra. Should be nice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

That's a FINE looking gumbo!

Prepping roux in advance totally works, just be prepared for a workout tomorrow. The flour will settle out of the oil and become a brick on the bottom. It will take enough force to break it up initially that you will want to be really careful in that glass container.

Do you think it would make sense to heat the jar of roux in hot water? Just spitballing here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jesus that all looks good. I think you just convinced me to make etouffee tomorrow, since I have some celery that needs a purpose.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you think it would make sense to heat the jar of roux in hot water? Just spitballing here.

Sadly, not much, nope. It’s not a fat viscosity thing, it’s a starch thing. Mix 50/50 corn starch and water, then let it sit for a day. It’ll be a brick at the bottom.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Doom Rooster posted:

Sadly, not much, nope. It’s not a fat viscosity thing, it’s a starch thing. Mix 50/50 corn starch and water, then let it sit for a day. It’ll be a brick at the bottom.

Basically the natural peanut butter problem, sounds like.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ulmont posted:

Basically the natural peanut butter problem, sounds like.

Oddly enough I just ran into this the first time recently. Is there a solution, or is it simply a matter of using the jar fast enough/making a point of stirring it every day?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We’ll see how tomorrow goes. These suckas are going in it.

Two bits for scale.

<David Attenborough voiceover>
The Devonian Era, when the largest arthropods to ever exist on earth swam in the seas. Here you see a reconstruction of Imperious Ungustatis, a shrimp the size of a schoolbus.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Oddly enough I just ran into this the first time recently. Is there a solution, or is it simply a matter of using the jar fast enough/making a point of stirring it every day?

Leave the jar on its side and the solids are much easier to break up / stir.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Transfer the peanut butter to a 500mL beaker with a large stir rod. Leave it on a stir plate on high at all times. You’ll want to keep your house above 90f inside to allow for a viscosity capable of being vortexed.

Klyith posted:

This might also work.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Doom Rooster posted:

Transfer the peanut butter to a 500mL beaker with a large stir rod. Leave it on a stir plate on high at all times. You’ll want to keep your house above 90f inside to allow for a viscosity capable of being vortexed.

Nah, just need to get a cover for the whole thing and leave it on the patio. I live in Houston, it's 90+ outside probably 9 months out of the year, just don't want it to get rained on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Klyith posted:

Good idea.

Awesome looking food

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Note to self: If you're planning on etoufee and the next time shrimp are marked "Shell and tail on" and come peeled and deveined anyway, pull out a couple links of andouille and make jambalaya instead. I've made etoufee without stock and was disappointed - Jambalaya didn't seem to suffer nearly as much.

No photos because my kitchen is a mess (tomorrow's job!).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Not sure if a muffaletta really counts as Cajun, but it is from New Orleans so I figure it can't hurt to post it here.

I'm a long way from the US right now, but got a craving for a muffaletta after talking about them with friends for a while. I can source most ingredients here though I had to make the bread myself. Can't get provolone so I swapped it for low moisture mozzarella. Salami and other pork cold cuts are hard to come by here, but I have a little shop that caters to expats I can go to and pay exorbitant prices for that sort of thing. I think I processed the olive salad a little too much, but that's easy to keep in mind for next time.

All that said, I am really happy with how this thing turned out. It's also the proper size (huge) and it'll cover dinner for a week along with some chips. I'm currently on day 5.
:shepface:

I regret nothing.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 6, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If you can make the bread yourself and manage the overnight olive soak, you're 70% of the way there. I'm sort of curious where you are that suitable replacements for the rest couldn't be found for most of it, but that's me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you can make the bread yourself and manage the overnight olive soak, you're 70% of the way there. I'm sort of curious where you are that suitable replacements for the rest couldn't be found for most of it, but that's me.
Batam, Indonesia.

I'm here working in a fabrication yard for the duration of the project I'm on. It's a majority Muslim country so pork is just hard to come by. :v: It also tends to be pretty pricy when you can find it. I was able to find ham and a couple different types of salami at that expat store I mentioned so I did fine.

Cheese is too if you want something other than processed cheese or a basic cheddar. I went with swiss and low moisture mozzarella since provolone doesn't exist here.

There's leeway in this sandwich so I feel pretty good about what I was able to find.

When I came here at the start of the year the world was a bit more normal and I was under the assumption I'd be able to go to Singapore (a short ferry ride away) for anything I couldn't get here. Didn't work out that way, obviously, but I make do pretty well. Helps that I've always liked to cook.

I do dumb poo poo like make my own cornmeal in a coffee grinder, make my own butter for the buttermilk, even attempted masa once, but it didn't really work out.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 6, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Safety Factor posted:

Not sure if a muffaletta really counts as Cajun, but it is from New Orleans so I figure it can't hurt to post it here.

I'm a long way from the US right now, but got a craving for a muffaletta after talking about them with friends for a while. I can source most ingredients here though I had to make the bread myself. Can't get provolone so I swapped it for low moisture mozzarella. Salami and other pork cold cuts are hard to come by here, but I have a little shop that caters to expats I can go to and pay exorbitant prices for that sort of thing. I think I processed the olive salad a little too much, but that's easy to keep in mind for next time.

All that said, I am really happy with how this thing turned out. It's also the proper size (huge) and it'll cover dinner for a week along with some chips. I'm currently on day 5.
:shepface:

I regret nothing.

Looks fuckin great!

And yeah muffelatta is on topic far as I'm concerned.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice muff.

The jarred roux worked perfectly. I only kept it for a day, but it didn’t really even coagulate. Most cane fight out and the rest easily spooned out. Tasted great too.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice muff.

The jarred roux worked perfectly. I only kept it for a day, but it didn’t really even coagulate. Most cane fight out and the rest easily spooned out. Tasted great too.

Nice!

Speaking of roux, did anyone ever try out the ATK baked dry flour roux? I haven’t made another batch of gumbo since we talked about it, but am planning on trying soon if nobody else has.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Nice!

Speaking of roux, did anyone ever try out the ATK baked dry flour roux? I haven’t made another batch of gumbo since we talked about it, but am planning on trying soon if nobody else has.

My mom did roux in the oven now and then and hers always worked well. I don't have specifics on how she did it though any more but it wasn't anything overly complex.

I've never tried it myself. Keep meaning to one day, might give it a go once it's cold out and I can run up the oven a lil longer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Safety Factor posted:

Batam, Indonesia.

You are way, way more dedicated than me. That muff looks awesome.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

My mom did roux in the oven now and then and hers always worked well. I don't have specifics on how she did it though any more but it wasn't anything overly complex.

I've never tried it myself. Keep meaning to one day, might give it a go once it's cold out and I can run up the oven a lil longer.

It’s pretty common to do an oven roux, but with the flour and oil already mixed. The ATK method was unique in that they just dark toasted the flour dry, then made gumbo with it.

Any idea which your mom did?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

She did the dry flour method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome. Gonna give that a go next time. Thanks.