Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the Assassin's Creed movie was supposed to be the movie that broke the video game adaptation curse. Remember that the director's previous film was a very well received adaptation of Macbeth also starring Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. The cast overall was pretty high quality, and Ubisoft also had a lot more involvement than most studios in game adaptations. Obviously it didn't really succeed in breaking the curse but I think you can see where Fassbender could have felt justified in taking a... ahem... leap of faith with it.

Even so, in terms of video game adaptations, it's probably one of the best. And yes that is a very, very, very low bar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Turns out, it was Sonic that did.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chairman Capone posted:

Even so, in terms of video game adaptations, it's probably one of the best. And yes that is a very, very, very low bar.

The best one is uh... Mortal Kombat?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Detective Pikachu motherfuckers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Please. Super Mario Brothers: The Movie is the best video game adaptation of all time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

C-Euro posted:

Ooh yeah, good call.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

sean10mm posted:

The best one is uh... Mortal Kombat?

This. Nothing has topped it in 25 years. It has exactly the right tonal balance for a video game movie. Detective Pikachu was fine, but it's a kids movie and doesn't aspire to be anything more than that. I'm assuming Sonic is in the same vein.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cacator posted:

This. Nothing has topped it in 25 years. It has exactly the right tonal balance for a video game movie. Detective Pikachu was fine, but it's a kids movie and doesn't aspire to be anything more than that. I'm assuming Sonic is in the same vein.

Yeah, but by this standard Mortal Kombat is an goofy 90's action film and doesn't aspire to be anything more than that -- so unless those are inherently better than kids' movies, it's not really saying much.

I'm dead serious when I nominate SMB:TM, because it is unmistakably a video game movie and nothing else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's a bad movie but I have a soft spot for Dead or Alive because of the dad trying to be supportive of his daugther while beating the crap out of her.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Cacator posted:

Detective Pikachu should have been a fighting tournament across regions led by MewTwo, just like Mortal Kombat

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

At the time didn't most of the X-flicks he was in and Prometheus all do really well? I remember being similarly stunned that he was starring in Assassin's Creed even at that point.

He and Cotillard did Assassin’s Creed because it was directed by the same guy they had just done Macbeth with. Also it was pretty decent

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

C-Euro posted:

Right? I didn’t realize people’s reception to it was so lukewarm. I thought it was great, really playful with the setting, basically the closest thing to a modern-day Roger Rabbit I’ve seen in years.

I watched Assassin’s Creed and was struck by how utterly flavorless it felt. There are so many cool elements - the Spain scenes, the parkour, the sense-memory poo poo - but then they throw us into a grey psych ward for like half the runtime and drone exposition at us. It was such a boring approach to a non-boring premise.

It should’ve had so much more fun with the craziness of that setting. I have similar complaints for Max Payne: an excellent and stylish game adapted into the most boring and lifeless movie possible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xealot posted:

Right? I didn’t realize people’s reception to it was so lukewarm. I thought it was great, really playful with the setting, basically the closest thing to a modern-day Roger Rabbit I’ve seen in years.

"Closest thing" is true, but damning with faint praise. It's way too coy and afraid to commit to its premise to be a real successor to Roger Rabbit, although it has its moments. (Like the human-passing ditto bit.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I once sat in a theater behind a bowling alley to see a local theater production called Michael Bay's Super Mario Armageddon, and in a perfect world this would be an actual Hollywood blockbuster. It was one of funniest and most accurate video game adaptations I have ever seen. After the perfunctory jokes about mario brothers, like on the level of "ha ha, we can only walk to the right", it barreled into Bowser's devious plan where genetic supersoldiers kicked off nuclear destruction. The plan was called OPERATION MUSHROOM CLOUD

http://www.citypages.com/arts/mario-and-michael-bay-like-peanut-butter-and-exploding-chocolate-6578956

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 28, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Even though the effect really didn't work, I always dug the way the first mini-series tried to do the Fremen eyes in-camera with those blacklight contacts.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DeimosRising posted:

He and Cotillard did Assassin’s Creed because it was directed by the same guy they had just done Macbeth with. Also it was pretty decent

And I remember reading that the director was pretty much obligated to make AssCreed because they wouldn't have let him do MacBeth otherwise.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Xealot posted:

I watched it for the first time yesterday, and I thought the pokemon designs and background appearanches was really well done. Stuff like the casual Snorlax blocking the road, or the sulky jigglypuff in the bar. But the movie felt so flat and lifeless.

There's that scene where our hero is rescued by a tribe of bulbasaurs and floating glowing bulb...things. It's meant to be a scene of wonder and natural beauty, as these strange magical creatures come to save the day. But instead we get the camera lazily following him as he trudges down a river.

And when the pokemon had to actually interact with the people it was really clear that there wasn't actually anything there.

The Ditto fight was pretty cool though, and I wish they'd developed him more as a villain. Who is this pokemon, and why are they such a piece of poo poo?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I watched it for the first time yesterday, and I thought the pokemon designs and background appearanches was really well done. Stuff like the casual Snorlax blocking the road, or the sulky jigglypuff in the bar. But the movie felt so flat and lifeless.

I'll agree that the world-building was cooler and more interesting than the pretty by-the-numbers investigation plot, but I still liked it all around. I think my favorite moment was the underground fight club with the Loudred backing the DJ. There was a real grasp of the mechanics of this city full of Pokemon, which ones would have which jobs, how they'd intersect with civic life in official and unofficial ways. It was clever. Maybe my expectations were just that low, and I was pleasantly surprised when it surpassed them.

This thread is rapidly deviating from a conversation about D U N C. Does anyone know anything about the music? I loving loved what Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch did for BR2049, though I don't know if the latter is involved with this one. I'm guessing no Toto guitar riffs on top of an orchestra, either.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is zimmer still trying to pull off really obvious plagiarisms? that is the most notable thing i know about him :v:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is zimmer still trying to pull off really obvious plagiarisms? that is the most notable thing i know about him :v:

Zimmer dropped out of scoring Tenet because Dune is a dream job for him so I'm expecting this to be some effort at the very least.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What did he plagiarize?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's pretty cool if he's a Dune nerd. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just always giggle when I run across his name because of the Gladiator plagiarism thing. I don't know if he intentionally copied Holst but the Mars song is one of the most famous classical music pieces ever (!) and I don't understand how nobody involved in the film noticed the similarities.

e:

Jewmanji posted:

What did he plagiarize?

it's not clear if he intentionally plagiarized anything, but he seems to "recycle" musical themes between films, and the Gustav Holst foundation sued him at one point because of his score for Gladiator. I am no classical music scholar but I noticed the similarities myself while watching the movie. I don't know if this is the best summary but it gives a general idea:

https://youtu.be/cFswFI7fqxU

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 29, 2020

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks for sharing, I hadn’t heard that. I don’t think there’s much to it though. He’s obviously quoting Holst. And if you think it’s plagiarism, then John Williams plagiarized that same movement for Star Wars. Just listen to Mars and then the scene where the Falcon is being beamed into the Death Star

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The real crime is that Gustav Holst is still trying to collect royalties from beyond this vale of tears.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hey if Mickey Mouse can still be under copyright even though Walt has been dead for over 50 years I won't hold anything against a foundation suing someone over something like this.

reminds me of what happened with Blurred Lines but I think I wanted that to get poo poo on because it's such a loving awful song

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mickey Mouse is about to be in public domain, or at least his original incarnation. Disney's lawyers are choosing not to keep works from public domain anymore, presumably because they can still maintain trademarks forever and sue anyone who isn't, like, scanning their own personal 8mm prints of Steamboat Willie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aces High posted:

hey if Mickey Mouse can still be under copyright even though Walt has been dead for over 50 years

is/ought

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aces High posted:

reminds me of what happened with Blurred Lines but I think I wanted that to get poo poo on because it's such a loving awful song

That decision was incredibly stupid and wrong but yeah I'm in the same boat.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Can you still claim copyright when you're cryogenically frozen?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jewmanji posted:

What did he plagiarize?

The pirates of the Caribbean theme is lifted from The Lion King 2, oddly enough (although as Zimmer did the incidental music for LK1 it's not clear if it's plagiarism or not, as some things may have been kept back)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I dunno. Plagiarism in music is a much higher threshold to meet than I think a lot of people realize (I don’t just mean in the legal sense). Borrowing a melody is a tradition as old as the western canon itself. Obviously true plagiarism exists and it’s all a matter of degrees, but these specific examples don’t seem particularly noteworthy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nick Glennie-Smith (composer for Lion King 2) is a member of Zimmer's Media Ventures / Remote Control group and worked on the PotC score, so it's not surprising that something he did on another movie would be reused, especially since they had to rush the music due to Alan Silvestri dropping out.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1249741945653481472

Every time I see that "@DuneAuthor" handle I want to punch windows

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The pirates of the Caribbean theme is lifted from The Lion King 2, oddly enough (although as Zimmer did the incidental music for LK1 it's not clear if it's plagiarism or not, as some things may have been kept back)

It’s certainly very similar, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjCryh0norA

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

A lot of film music (and other types of accompaniment music) is derivative. This is fine because I don't see how someone could honestly fault a composer for playing towards the existing cultural vocabulary of their audience, especially when the music is not the primary element of the work. I just thought it was funny how Zimmer furiously denied that he quoted or referenced Holst in any way when it came to the Gladiator score.

I also still think the core thing to remember here is that Zimmer is a Dune nerd. This means that he maybe has been daydreaming for decades about how to put scenes from Dune to music. That's really cool!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Clipperton posted:

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1249741945653481472

Every time I see that "@DuneAuthor" handle I want to punch windows

His handle is a killing word

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Butlerian Jihad being a generic robot war instead of a Luddite type thing was so dumb and I'm not sure how little Herbert thought it'd be a good idea.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

How much of those books were actually Brian Herbert? I always figured it was essentially KJA writing them with Herbert's name on them as the cost of KJA being allowed to write in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Robots being the ultimate enemy is hinted at by Siona's spice vision in God Emperor.