Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dewgy posted:

He’s entertaining but I’m realizing I definitely don’t have the same tastes. He hated Death Stranding and all of his complaints in his review were terrible. His FF7R review is way off the mark too.

Yeah, I never subscribed but I eventually just completely dropped off looking at all after a point.
Also calling 2B a "prostitute", calling Jade from Dragon Quest 11 a "cringeworthy stripper", and calling Tifa a "brain-dead pair of tits" is a bit much IMO.

Like, I didn't really adore Nier Automata but I don't think that's a fair look at 2B's character, though I do think there's a ton of awful outfits going around in some games that do not match the character's personality at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
he's also a bit of a conceited twat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fuckin lol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The League mode is actually pretty well-designed as a competitive mode. It has multiple rush strats, econ management (boom timing), and an element of yomi in the multiplier/conveyor push-pull and bridge jamming

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I actually do think it's kinda lame when people pile onto a particular studio, knowing full well that crunch is a widespread and pernicious problem basically everywhere in the industry right now, only when it's conveniently about a game they didn't care for that much to begin with. There's always half a dozen white noise posters who come out of the woodwork to relitigate their crusade against western AAA sad dad video games or whatever when this is a much larger problem, and those posters don't give a poo poo about the developers anyway, only the type of video game they make. And I know that Naughty Dog has been uniquely terrible in this regard, but taken to its logical conclusion you'd have to start assembling mental hierarchies for which multinational corporations are less evil than other multinational corporations, which is a pointless exercise that I'm not comfortable doing. And I recognize that my own buying habits are highly irrational as well. There are games I enjoy where I'd like to believe the developers were treated fairly and paid well for their labor when I know full well that they weren't. If some maltreated programmer from Guerrilla leaked the entire plot of Horizon 2 early and I saw that then I'd probably be pretty bummed. HOWEVER I wouldn't be mad at that person, only at the conditions that led to their outburst, because they had to have been pretty bad for that to happen. And ultimately in these situations you have to decide what's more important to you: The fair treatment of humans that provide your entertainment, or the protection of a consumer product for the benefit of a global corporation. And given those options, I'm gonna side with human beings 100% of the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Major change in game industry working conditions is only going to come at the cost of significant pain in studio wallets at this point, which means some good and promising games are inevitably going to be casualties. Like someone said, demanding progress without disruption is just going to be ignored.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm legit interested in both those PS+ games.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Yeah I think both of those games are well-regarded (probably moreso on PC) and I'm looking forward to trying them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have requested nicely twice about not doing the posts for TLOU2 chat in this thread today.

I will start probating people next because I think it was very fair to ask first but seeing another bunch of back and forths occur is tiring.

Pleas stop posting about TLOU2 leaks. There is a specific thread to discuss it and it does get into spoilers for the game story itself. Seeing the arguments here going over the same points is not helping anyone.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Tommy 2.0 posted:

... the other markets got Monster Hunter World for two months on top of the things we got.

Wait what?
Ugh, apparently "other markets" does not include EU.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sioux posted:

Wait what?
Ugh, apparently "other markets" does not include EU.

Yeah Japan got an MHW trial. Japan always gets weird regional exclusive PS+ stuff.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
:lol: I preordered TLOU2 a couple months back. After it got pulled from the store, Sony put out a release saying everyone would get a refund for it authomatically. Haven't got mine (or any email about it), the game has been relisted, and it's no longer in my library. Nice job all around.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anyone pick up snowrunner on a base ps4?
It looks like it might be fun, but being from a small team and a niche title i'm worried it'll run like poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I actually do think it's kinda lame when people pile onto a particular studio, knowing full well that crunch is a widespread and pernicious problem basically everywhere in the industry right now, only when it's conveniently about a game they didn't care for that much to begin with. There's always half a dozen white noise posters who come out of the woodwork to relitigate their crusade against western AAA sad dad video games or whatever when this is a much larger problem, and those posters don't give a poo poo about the developers anyway, only the type of video game they make. And I know that Naughty Dog has been uniquely terrible in this regard, but taken to its logical conclusion you'd have to start assembling mental hierarchies for which multinational corporations are less evil than other multinational corporations, which is a pointless exercise that I'm not comfortable doing. And I recognize that my own buying habits are highly irrational as well. There are games I enjoy where I'd like to believe the developers were treated fairly and paid well for their labor when I know full well that they weren't. If some maltreated programmer from Guerrilla leaked the entire plot of Horizon 2 early and I saw that then I'd probably be pretty bummed. HOWEVER I wouldn't be mad at that person, only at the conditions that led to their outburst, because they had to have been pretty bad for that to happen. And ultimately in these situations you have to decide what's more important to you: The fair treatment of humans that provide your entertainment, or the protection of a consumer product for the benefit of a global corporation. And given those options, I'm gonna side with human beings 100% of the time.

Yeah, always remember that your ire can't really be directed at the true villain behind it. There's someone far higher above them that're actually in control of things and making sure you work 50 hours a week but technically since it's only 7 hr and 55 minute shifts they don't actually have to pay any overtime or whatever scheme to circumvent the law they've got set up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Seeing people convert to moral relativism to defend the games companies they like is always funny

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m legit excited for the PS+ games because I have been wanting a city sim for some time now and also my daughter will love Farming Simulator.

I had no idea that there was a competitive mode in farming simulator and it kind of shocked me.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

exquisite tea posted:

I actually do think it's kinda lame when people pile onto a particular studio, knowing full well that crunch is a widespread and pernicious problem basically everywhere in the industry right now, only when it's conveniently about a game they didn't care for that much to begin with.

As one of the people dog piling on, I can assure you I was interested in the game (and still might get it). I beat all 4 of the games they put out on the PS3, on the PS3, and I rebeat them all on the PS4 (plus UC4).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Blanket dismissals of criticism is more likely done in bad faith than a serious attempt to explain an issue.

It’s no coincidence that games with a lot of hype get people trying to push a more nuanced discussio.

Same thing happened with Cyperpunk.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
new rear end creed is called Valhalla.

no one guessed this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Streets of Rage 4 is looking like a Sonic Mania tier retro sequel. Online co-op capping at 2 players is a little :confused: but otherwise it looks like it got a ton of love and polish. I'm watching video reviews and welling up with Streets of Rage 3 nostalgia that I didn't even know I had. After FF7R I think I'm ready to just beat people up without thinking about numbers.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
cap is probably a network thing they havent sorted out yet. online sounds buggy as is but they are patching it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok it’s been 3 days since I parked Cloud/Tifa/Barret right before the big Shiinra Tower showdown and I just cannot will myself to finish this game. I have pretty much enjoyed everything up until now but apparently I have like 4-6 hours of game left and it’s almost all gonna be expository dialogue and boss fights and I just feel maybe a little burnt out by it?

Also in Dunkey’s review of the remake he points out that FF7 was a very silly game with a few serious moments and FF7R is a very serious game with goofy moments and the difference really shows.

I like Dunkey just fine but I don't agree with his review and this point rings false for me. The original was far more serious overall imo. People from a younger generation playing it down the line with all the cultural retrospective built in may have had a different experience, but it was a very serious game for me at the time, speaking as a member of its target audience.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Playing final fantasy 7 original in the current age, I don't feel like I really has the level of gravitas that people assign to it. Like, its cool and fun but it isn't exactly some dark and serious meaningful story, it just kinda seems that way when you're 12. Its mostly just a sci fi fantasy anime adventure with a few darker parts that are kinda undercut by the silly little 3d men.

Depends on the individual player's imagination, prolly

Bust Rodd posted:

Am I the only one who couldn’t take anything in FF7 seriously as a teen because the entire story was told, poorly, through little block-headed LEGO people? I relished the sweet anime cutscenes but the only really distinct memory of the plot impacting me was feeling just so awful for Cloud during D3 when he goes catatonic. As a teen that level of identity crisis did speak to me.

I distinctly remember coming out of the locker room during PE and these 3 absolute lost causes are talking about which video game characters make them the horniest and arguing if Tifa or Lara Croft we’re more stacked and I was like “as long as I live I will never let a pile of polygons get me going.”

FFIX I could take everything seriously at face value because the art direction in that game is like Herculean and even the sprites have character.

Depends on the individual player's imagination, prolly

I am...laughing my rear end off

These gamers will save us from climate change

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: "Once all six players have selected a team, the Pick and Ban Phase begins."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMdh_Or0sc&t=27s

holy poo poo

I mean, is this game being 'a thing' any more insane than modern warfare or siege being 'a thing'? Honestly, I'm in no place to judge atp

exquisite tea posted:

Thank you. This is a great post.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Always side with labour

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Always side with labour

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, is this game being 'a thing' any more insane than modern warfare or siege being 'a thing'? Honestly, I'm in no place to judge atp

In terms of a competitive scene, it probably has a leg up on either of those. Both streaming partners and collegiate esports are reluctant to attach too closely to military-themed shooters because of the imagery.

This is also what Riot is counting on with Valorant, because it could be like CS:GO without being marginalized by the terrorism gameplay aspects

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

cubicle gangster posted:

It looks like it might be fun, but being from a small team and a niche title i'm worried it'll run like poo poo.

TIL the developers behind The Witcher 3 Switch port and the recently announced Crysis Remaster also made Mudrunner and Snowrunner. Interesting.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fix posted:

I'm legit interested in both those PS+ games.

Same. I’m actually really happy about that because now I can try them without feeling guilty I paid money to do so.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Max Wilco posted:

Castlevania Requiem is also on sale for $8.99, but I forgot what the differences were between the original PS1 release of SotN and the Requiem release.

As far as I know, just the dialogue and voice acting's been changed. The original is hilarious, but you can look up videos on youtube if you haven't played that version.

The game is outstanding, and was an instant classic. I've owned every copy of SoTN (including the Saturn version...) and the PS4 release is great. It's as good as it's ever been.

Rondo is also an exceptional game.

And at less than $10, I mean, why not?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

cubicle gangster posted:

gently caress it, I pulled the trigger. I’ll give it some playtime tonight or tomorrow and see how it runs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also that Dunkey guy sounds like he has some major hang ups with women

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah if you watch that poo poo you should the gently caress up forever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah if you watch that poo poo you should the gently caress up forever

i'm kidding I'm kidding

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The only youtuber that has managed to not be an rear end in a top hat or say something stupid while keeping his retro gaming videos great is Civvie-11. He also punishes himself by playing old and lovely fps games to entertain us.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

The only youtuber that has managed to not be an rear end in a top hat or say something stupid while keeping his retro gaming videos great is Civvie-11. He also punishes himself by playing old and lovely fps games to entertain us.

DF-Retro is good.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guillermus posted:

Check out Pete Dorr. He mostly streams on Twitch these days, but he's super chill and plays a lot of obscure retro games.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The League mode is actually pretty well-designed as a competitive mode. It has multiple rush strats, econ management (boom timing), and an element of yomi in the multiplier/conveyor push-pull and bridge jamming

lol it took me a long time to realize you are talking about a competitive mode for Farming Simulator

i cant wait

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also that Dunkey guy sounds like he has some major hang ups with women

I've seen people itt post the same kind of disparaging stuff about those characters, and it's no less lame here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

lol it took me a long time to realize you are talking about a competitive mode for Farming Simulator

i cant wait

I like how there's basically an analogue to every competitive gaming trope but with a farming skin. Instead of First Blood there's a First Bale bonus

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Those are both games that I've been vaguely interested in but not enough to pay for, so they're the perfect PS+ freebies for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I never subscribed but I eventually just completely dropped off looking at all after a point.
Also calling 2B a "prostitute", calling Jade from Dragon Quest 11 a "cringeworthy stripper", and calling Tifa a "brain-dead pair of tits" is a bit much IMO.

Like, I didn't really adore Nier Automata but I don't think that's a fair look at 2B's character, though I do think there's a ton of awful outfits going around in some games that do not match the character's personality at all.

I used to find dunkey funny and think his reviews were pretty on point but idk, over the last year and a bit I've fallen off the wagon. The only YouTube I watch about video games now is Digital Foundry.