Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The first one of that series is one of my favorite movies to chill out to. One of those you see is on TV and decide to watch every time. It's very light and fun.

I find all the sequels utterly unwatchable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Marin Karin posted:

The first one of that series is one of my favorite movies to chill out to. One of those you see is on TV and decide to watch every time. It's very light and fun.

I find all the sequels utterly unwatchable though.

I completely agree with this entire post. That is all.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I think I'm the only one of my friends that really enjoys the first 3 POTC movies and all the bullshit twists and turns it's just absolutely gorgeous to look at. The 4th one is boring as sin and you made Ian McShane boring as sin and Geofrey Rush boring as well. 5th one was decent if only due to villain design and the early part of the film dragging an entire building practical effect.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gun to my head I would have said there were four POTC movies.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Passion of the Christ got five sequels??

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

Passion of the Christ got five sequels??

And the third one wasn't even about Jesus, but they got back to the standard formula in the 4th.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

kdrudy posted:

And the third one wasn't even about Jesus, but they got back to the standard formula in the 4th.

I thought we'd never see the end of those "that must be the best Christ I've ever seen" memes.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I am a total POTC 3 apologist for some reason, but that first movie was lightning in a bottle that they never understood when they set out to turn it into a cash cow.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I definitely have a soft spot for some the ludicrous set pieces in the second one (like the fight on the water wheel). The rest are trash though. Can't wait!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

POTC is a perfect encapsulation of Hollywood running something into the ground. First movie comes out of nowhere (based on a ride lmao) and does really well, so let's repeat the same formula until everyone hates the material and is sick of seeing Johhny Depps face.

I associate the first movie with a severe case of pneumonia that left me hospitalized. During one of my first moments of lucidity it was playing on TV. I'll always remember Jack Sparrow riding a sinking ship into port because it was that scene in particular.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 29, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I legitimately love the first one and like/not care about the rest but they definitely put money into them and are fun trash to watch. He’s driven it into the ground but Johnny Depp plays a really good Steven Richards pirate. I went to Disneyland a few months ago and they put him into the ride cause of course you would.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elderbean posted:

POTC is a perfect encapsulation of Hollywood running something into the ground. First movie comes out of nowhere (based on a ride lmao) and does really well, so let's repeat the same formula until everyone hates the material and is sick of seeing Johhny Depps face.

I associate the first movie with a severe case of pneumonia that left me hospitalized. During one of my first moments of lucidity it was playing on TV. I'll always remember Jack Sparrow riding a sinking ship into port because it was that scene in particular.

Yeah, I saw the first one opening night with a friend, and we both loved it. Had it not fallen into that trap, we'd probably still be talking about it to this day.

I think I caught it on TV or something 5 years ago or so, and I'd argue that the original still holds up, and I don't really have any ill will toward it. Never did have the desire to revisit the sequels, and I still haven't seen the fourth one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I liked the second one because Davy Jones's design owns and Bill Nighy owns and the Kraken was great and seeing Barbosa again at the end was great. Unfortunately, the third one had like, literally no satisfying conclusion to anything. The Kraken was killed off screen wtf!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

I legitimately love the first one and like/not care about the rest but they definitely put money into them and are fun trash to watch. He’s driven it into the ground but Johnny Depp plays a really good Steven Richards pirate. I went to Disneyland a few months ago and they put him into the ride cause of course you would.

...Keith Richards?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

When it came out everyone was raving about how his performance was inspired by Keith Richards but I saw a lot more of his Raoul Duke in there.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Elderbean posted:

I'm imagining an alternate universe where the Country Bears Jamboree movie is the one that becomes the huge hit that spawns numerous sequels

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

...Keith Richards?

Yea that one

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The two greatest dunks on qui gon jinn are RLM calling him qui gon booze and WHM saying he's from the planet peepeepoopoo. Can't get that poo poo out of my head it's hilarious.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm sad to report that Hulu does not have the Scott Scanlon shoots himself in his loving face episode

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I'm sad to report that Hulu does not have the Scott Scanlon shoots himself in his loving face episode

The clip is on YouTube though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh my god there are two full episodes dedicated entirely to Shannon Doherty's terrible, terrible French accent

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It’s real hard to relate to or feel sorry for the problems of any of these idiotic rich kids especially since they’re dumb even for teenage standards

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The impressions made Cool As Ice a classic episode.

“Yo what’s it like converting food into energy and poo poo?”

“These sucka MCs can’t gently caress these horses!”

Also, I too hope the 90210/Melrose thing continues post Covid in some fashion. Wish I could read those angry Cabin texts as he watches them.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Arson Daily posted:

The two greatest dunks on qui gon jinn are RLM calling him qui gon booze and WHM saying he's from the planet peepeepoopoo. Can't get that poo poo out of my head it's hilarious.

The joke in one of the recent Star Wars episodes about him coming back as a ghost in Rise of Skywalker specifically to fight Lando was pretty good.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
I really hope they keep up MELR0210 until they get to Dan Cortese’s run as Jake’s completely repugnant brother at the end of season 3 of Melrose Place. Also hope they get to Jamie Walters as Ray on 90210 because that guy is the worst actor of all time.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It’s real hard to relate to or feel sorry for the problems of any of these idiotic rich kids especially since they’re dumb even for teenage standards

You don’t watch 90210 in fuckin 2020 because of relatable characters lol

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fray posted:

You don’t watch 90210 in fuckin 2020 because of relatable characters lol

It’s just that it’s clear the show started as a way of doing constant schmaltzy a very special episodes, but then things start turning a bit soapier in season 2 and by season “my dad got Apollonia'd” 3 all bets are off, but they still try to shove in after school specials so the tone is all over the place
Also yeah Steve needed to be an antagonist with him being a racist and a bully and also probably committing a felony by breaking into school to change his grades so he an adopted child of extreme privilege didn’t have to actually face any hardships, and getting off scot free because his celebrity mom pulled all the strings to keep him from consequences. It’s ridiculous.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I guess this show predates contract riders where the main actor gets to have all his scenes shot with him standing on an apple cart

Jason Priestley is a tiny, tiny man and he’s constantly shot against his considerably taller costars is what I’m saying

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I only remember two specific things about 90210 and they're hilarious: one is a very special episode about one of the male characters using steroids and another male character telling the user that steroids are bad because they shrink your balls. That's the whole reason. The second is Andrea gets hit by a street racing car and the hijinks that ensue to figure out who did it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Arson Daily posted:

I only remember two specific things about 90210 and they're hilarious: one is a very special episode about one of the male characters using steroids and another male character telling the user that steroids are bad because they shrink your balls.

Sounds like a good double feature with the Jessie Spano on speed episode of Saved by the Bell.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Was listening to the Human Centipede First Sequence episode, looked up the cast and Dieter Laser passed away last month? Rip, that bit about him striking the actress offset because he was too in character was both terrifyingly hilarious because its freaking human centipede and my man was playing it like he was in some Spielberg film.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

Was listening to the Human Centipede First Sequence episode, looked up the cast and Dieter Laser passed away last month? Rip, that bit about him striking the actress offset because he was too in character was both terrifyingly hilarious because its freaking human centipede and my man was playing it like he was in some Spielberg film.

I always have mad respect for actors who take every movie they are in, regardless of how bad, seriously*, but when I hear about poo poo like this it kind of reminds me about this one article I read that hypothesized that most "method actors" use that as an excuse to abuse others.

* "Every actor has to make terrible films from time to time , but the trick is never to be terrible in them." - Christopher Lee

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Big Daddy Dispatch reveals that we’ve got a whole slew of guest hosts for the Pirates series! I’m so pumped Chelsea Jupin is on one, she made What Women Want into one of the best episodes of last year.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Who else is guest-hosting?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

clown shoes posted:

Who else is guest-hosting?

along with Chelsea returning guest Ben Worcester, and first-timer Jordain Searles

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Should I rewatch the Pirates movies before these episodes? The last one I saw was At World's End in theaters in like 2007.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Should I rewatch the Pirates movies before these episodes? The last one I saw was At World's End in theaters in like 2007.

My plan right now is to rewatch the first 3; I haven't seen 4 since theaters but I remember it being pretty bad so I don't know if it's really worth revisiting. At least the bad stuff in 1-3 is entertainingly weird. 5 is definitely an improvement over 4 but not all that worth seeking out.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 4, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rageaholic posted:

They are all terrible and borderline insulting in how bad they are, so no.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The first one's genuinely good, the second one is dumb fun, the third exists I guess, and I haven't seen past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
First one is up! :dance:

The extra content these guys are doing for free is incredible. I don't have any other podcast in my feed making any similar effort. Everyone is either taking a break or doing the same schedule but remotely recorded. Easy to see why these guys have such a loyal Patreon.

Side note: they've never done the first Boondock Saints, have they? That seems like it would make for a fantastic episode.