Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alder posted:

Lately, I've been looking at manga where the MC is in college or working and it's still a difficult road. Also, it's been over a decade since I graduated HS, and each new shojo where it's HS setting I die inside a little over time. Anyone have new recc'd manga?

Bonus: No isekai works plz or weird controlling LI

Completed:
Jellyfish Princess and all her other series
Suppli and Mari Okazaki's other works
Paradise Kiss
Otoyome-gatari
Minato Machi Neko Machi
Watashi no Shounen
Palace Meidi
Futago
Shimanami Tasogare
Unlucky Mansion

Natsu no Zenjitsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
2dk, g pen, alarm clock

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alder posted:

Lately, I've been looking at manga where the MC is in college or working and it's still a difficult road. Also, it's been over a decade since I graduated HS, and each new shojo where it's HS setting I die inside a little over time. Anyone have new recc'd manga?

Bonus: No isekai works plz or weird controlling LI

Completed:
Jellyfish Princess and all her other series
Suppli and Mari Okazaki's other works
Paradise Kiss
Otoyome-gatari
Minato Machi Neko Machi
Watashi no Shounen
Palace Meidi
Futago
Shimanami Tasogare
Unlucky Mansion

if you haven't read any other works of Kaoru Mori; Jane Walker Is a continuation of her longstanding maid fetish. Emma being one of her earlier series and much longer if you want adult struggles.

The Man Who Cleans up Makeup and This Jinx's Lover are both korean webtoons filled with their share of adversity as well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm assuming you weren't looking for BL recs so this is everything out of my non-bl list that I've read recently(ish). It's kind of a big list so I'm not doing links, you'll have to search these up on your own sorry :shobon:

MC in college:
  • Namaikizakari - w/the caveat you have to follow her all the way through high school first, it's ongoing and the more recent stuff is all set in college (feel free to skip this if that doesn't sound appealing -- there's also a lot of push & pull w/the leads' personalities and the usual type of shoujo relationship drama so some of that might be too obnoxious as well)
  • Tonari wa Nani o Kuu Hito zo - College setting, mostly cooking and slice of life but the romance does eventually take off; the sequel is set after they graduate and start working (chill, low drama, v relax)
  • Mobuko's Love - very shy MC is in college & working at a grocery store, starts to get closer to her co-workers including the guy she has a crush on (this is more workplace but they're still college-aged; also it's licensed and there's more available via the official release than scans; it's super cute and sweet)

MC is working:
  • Hosaka-sensei no Ai no Muchi - nursery school teacher with a scary face finds an unexpected romance (fairly short)
  • Kawaii Hito - (this one); MC works at a flower shop and has a scary face but manages to meet a cute girl and start a romance (very sweet fluff)
  • Watashi-tachi no Himitsu Jijou - MC is working, has a fear of men due to some trauma and meets a guy who's afraid of women and they agree to help each other get over their fears (ongoing but hasn't updated in a while fyi)
  • Yumi to Kurumi - just finished so it's a great time to read this, MC is working and very unhappy but finds a doll and her life starts to change (short, some chapters may make you want to punch someone and/or cry, but overall v sweet)
  • I'm Nearly 30, but this is my First Love - like the title says, all the characters are 30-ish and working, one couple is completely inexperienced but a second couple eventually hooks up and imo are more enjoyable to read about but overall it's very cute and fluffy
  • Motokare ga Fudanshi ni Natteorimashite - this one is fun because the couple is an ex-couple who meet several years after breaking up; the guy is now a fudanshi and the woman is a really popular BL doujin artist and she really doesn't want him to find out; mostly it's just been light rom-com stuff, there isn't a whole lot of it out yet
  • Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini - cohabitating couple, cute slice of life/comedy about living with a partner and relationship stuff
  • My Husband is a Housewife - married couple, the wife is the breadwinner while her husband keeps house, cute/light comedy with some role reversal gags (hasn't updated in a while)
  • Koori Zokusei Danshi to Cool na Douryo Joshi - cute workplace romcom with a cool, reserved woman and her coworker who is a descendant of a yuki-onna (lots of snow and ice jokes)
  • Genderless Danshi ni Ai Sarete imasu - office lady and her androgynous boyfriend, slice of life/romcom (licensed, worth buying imo it's good)

Other stuff, non-romance, etc:
  • Mani Mani - josei anthology you might not have read?
  • Itohen - cute and short slice of life, the MC is about to graduate and is jobhunting
  • Hokuou Kizoku to Moukinzuma no Yukiguni Karigurashi - this one is getting regular updates again it's the historical one with the nobleman from an arctic province & the ex-soldier wife
  • Utakata Dialog - slice of life comedy with two high school students working at a store, there's barely anything set at school (possibly nothing? I can't remember now) but it's a really entertaining comedy and is also complete; one of the characters has a crush on the other but the other character is incredibly dense and that leads to a lot of the comedy
  • Ii ne! Hikaru Genji-kun - recently started updating again; MC ends up with a freeloader from the Heian period (it's Est Em!!)
  • Nekodamari - slice of life with a woman living alone with her cats, sometimes it's her POV and sometimes it's the cats' POV, really cute and funny (read if you like cats)
  • Cool Doji Danshi - slice of life following a group of handsome guys who are awkward in small ways which makes them even cuter (just throwing this one in b/c I like it)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 30, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks for the recc'd series everyone. Yeah I read the one-shot and her other manga series since their art is really nice.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
quick edit - "no weird controlling love interest" may disqualify this one, I didn't catch that before posting.

If you liked Paradise Kiss, then you might also like NANA from the same author . . . but it went on infinite hiatus in 2009 so be prepared to live with that proverbial hole in your heart of never having a satisfying ending. I loved the series despite usually losing interest in melodrama quickly. It helps that it's punk as gently caress and the characters' bad decisions are infuriatingly realistic and remind me of my early 20s.

Content warning but kinda spoilery: tragedy, sexual violence.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 29, 2020

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Endorph posted:

Can we make it so straight people cant post in this thread either

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

2 threads with no straights...our kingdom grows

Cuntellectual posted:

Hate to say it but recent events have made me reluctantly forced to agree

Hey could y'all like... not jump to straightbashing every time one person shows up and says something you find creepy or mockable? It's kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to do on a personal level, regardless of overall power dynamics or whatever happened in the other thread to disallow "ally"-posting, and it seems like I've been seeing it more lately.

I'm not trying to get into a discussion about this, or why actually the context of other threads makes this fine, or about the problematic way the culture around anime/manga approaches LGBTQ issues or actual power dynamics or anything, I understand that there are endless legitimate reasons why somebody would feel justified in this that I don't have the context for. This is just a personal request from me, because the behavior makes me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome based on my orientation, in one of the three threads I read in here regularly.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

surc posted:

I'm not trying to get into a discussion about this

This is a really weird way to jump in to a discussion

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Waci posted:

This is a really weird way to jump in to a discussion

I'm asking people to change a behavior as a personal plea, they can either do it or not. I'm not DMing everybody in the thread one by one, so this is the only good way to ask, and regardless of the answer I didn't want to derail the thread for a bunch of pages, and I don't really want people to use me to vent their spleen on or have misunderstand and be hostile.

E: In my ideal world nobody responds to these posts any more and people just continue the thread but with less broad-stroke brushes in their responses. Second best, they don't respond to these posts and ignore my request.

surc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 29, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think, maybe, in this instance, the gays have gone too far...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

surc posted:

Hey could y'all like... not jump to straightbashing every time one person shows up and says something you find creepy or mockable? It's kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to do on a personal level, regardless of overall power dynamics or whatever happened in the other thread to disallow "ally"-posting, and it seems like I've been seeing it more lately.

I'm not trying to get into a discussion about this, or why actually the context of other threads makes this fine, or about the problematic way the culture around anime/manga approaches LGBTQ issues or actual power dynamics or anything, I understand that there are endless legitimate reasons why somebody would feel justified in this that I don't have the context for. This is just a personal request from me, because the behavior makes me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome based on my orientation, in one of the three threads I read in here regularly.

So you just want everyone to listen to you without having to do the same lol

i support banning the straights

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
hi im the gay agenda im here to bash the straights

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean i guess i can understand why you could feel a bit awkward but all of those posts you quoted are jokes born out of mild frustration

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

surc posted:

I'm asking people to change a behavior as a personal plea, they can either do it or not. I'm not DMing everybody in the thread one by one, so this is the only good way to ask, and regardless of the answer I didn't want to derail the thread for a bunch of pages, and I don't really want people to use me to vent their spleen on or have misunderstand and be hostile.

E: In my ideal world nobody responds to these posts any more and people just continue the thread but with less broad-stroke brushes in their responses. Second best, they don't respond to these posts and ignore my request.

I feel like you've missed the part where they were jokes to mock that guy, and now instead it's going to be people making fun of you.

e: straight people get bent out of shape really easily huh?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 29, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Enough! Leave the poster alone.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm probably one of the last people on the SA forums to actually give a poo poo about banning straight people or w/e but a straight guy coming in to talk about how uncomfortable jokes made him, after the thread moved on, that were in response to some straight guy complaining about how lesbian teenage relationships don't count if they don't gently caress or whatever the hell is pretty next level poo poo.

Clitch posted:

It's just a thing that sticks with me after reading a lot of this stuff. I wasn't implying that their feelings aren't real if they don't gently caress, but I see how it could read that way. There's a lot of content out there where people ultimately deny themselves and go do the hetero thing, and it's depressing. When things are left open-ended, it leaves me room for doubt that they're going to persevere, and I do get sad about it. I'm an extremely anxious person with a lot of the optimism already stomped out of me. I'm not gay, but there's been a lot of fear in my life that's made me hesitate to be happy, and that's where I'm coming from. The physical intimacy in yuri feels like the leap I'm hoping they take for each other, and that's what I was trying to express but failed to while trying to be funny.

Going back to the post that started it can you actually like, think of any examples outside of really old shoujo where they did that because society wasn't at the point where gay people were really tolerated yet?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 29, 2020

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm assuming you weren't looking for BL recs so this is everything out of my non-bl list that I've read recently(ish). It's kind of a big list so I'm not doing links, you'll have to search these up on your own sorry :shobon:

{...awesome detailed recs }

I didn't ask for these recs, but I'm definitely gonna check some of them out. A lovely post.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Enough! Leave the poster alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XR6dsy7ATE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surc posted:

sincerely: i understand your frustration but making that post at all was a bad call on a number of levels. nobodys actually banning straight people from this thread and nobody wants them to be banned. maybe it isnt the ideal way to express frustration with insanely weird morons but a random shitpost shouldn't really cause anyone any psychic damage, and making a big deal about it just makes things worse and basically leads to the exact same things you say you don't want.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 29, 2020

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Actual real last parts of Vampiress Lord got added. Shame it ended when it felt like it was really starting to pick up.

Also some Adachi angst

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
woof, the author's notes chapter, that's rough.

"hey there, how're the sales of my book?" "they're poo poo, you're axed, but we'll let you wrap up with 3 books so compress your entire 7-book plan into the remaining 2 books". Guess that's better than "axed and clean out your desk and get the gently caress out" though.

I did kinda feel like there was a shift in the pacing at a certain point, guess that explains it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Toalpaz posted:

I think, maybe, in this instance, the gays have gone too far...

Ha ha, by reversing the life currents of Gaia I can harness their power to fuel my Alchemical Queer Drives! Who cares if a few straights die, ah ha ha.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ha ha, by reversing the life currents of Gaia I can harness their power to fuel my Alchemical Queer Drives! Who cares if a few straights die, ah ha ha.

lol

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

woof, the author's notes chapter, that's rough.

"hey there, how're the sales of my book?" "they're poo poo, you're axed, but we'll let you wrap up with 3 books so compress your entire 7-book plan into the remaining 2 books". Guess that's better than "axed and clean out your desk and get the gently caress out" though.

I did kinda feel like there was a shift in the pacing at a certain point, guess that explains it

Man, rough indeed.

I wasn't a huge fan of the series but I hope s/he can find success with their next series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

This kinda makes me miss your witchy AV. :(

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Natsu no Zenjitsu is insanely good and outrageously frustrating

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

These are some good ones! I know this, because all but two were already on my list, so I've added the two that weren't. Thanks!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:cheerdoge:

I haven't been posting when stuff updates as much so I kinda of expected some of those might have fallen off the radar especially when they go weeks or months without updating.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

(Click the image)

Speaking of manga that doesn't update often, A-Channel got two new chapters.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wow i read amber teahouse over and over again as a teen

big grats to the author on gettign laid

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sex is cool sometimes

edit for actual content: Any rec's for manga that explore polyamory in a more grounded fashion?

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 1, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

wow i read amber teahouse over and over again as a teen

big grats to the author on gettign laid

It was probably my gateway yuri manga.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

sex is cool sometimes

edit for actual content: Any rec's for manga that explore polyamory in a more grounded fashion?

Check out Tenchi Muyo.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
honeymoon salad

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

sex is cool sometimes

himigoto..

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You need to use the full name toal it causes confusion when not

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

hime.... goto...

It does explore experiencing many forms and flavours of attraction and desire... but not really polyamory. I was kind of joking. There is an arc though, that is basically... uh... hmm very close?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://mangadex.org/chapter/876561

sister brother wife updated

I'm not sure if it'd make more or less sense for her to wear the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

New chapter of Sono Bisque Doll, though official english volumes are starting up so probably also the last unless a new group picks it up.