Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Aren’t there also reports that way more people were infected than was previously thought, which might also mean that there are more asymptomatic carriers than previously believed?

Yeah one Stanford study doing antibody tests in Santa Clara County estimated that actual coronavirus cases were 50-85 times higher than confirmed test cases, due to a combination of large numbers of asymptomatic and mild cases that didn't raise any alarms and whatever proportion of symptomatic people didn't get tested due to stringent testing restrictions. Although that study found that even at their highest estimate, still only 3% of the county's population had had the virus, meaning 97% hadn't (so even at way elevated rates of asymptomatic carriers, we're still nowhere near herd immunity). Also some autopsies came back and they found out people were dying from Covid up to a month before the first confirmed death in the US.

All these studies seem to add up to suggest that the virus was way more widespread way earlier than anyone realized and that it's caused a significant uptick in deaths compared to our existing endemic viruses like influenza. Any real confirmation on specific infection rates, death rates, and so on, is going to have to wait a long time because so much is still up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This is a loving trip:

And:

But:

:raise:

They're getting a lot of mileage from being the only people who are supposedly able to communicate with Michael Page.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lmao they are @'ing wikipedia to get a page edited bc they can't just edit it themselves without it being reverted bc their only "evidence" is "yeah no i, personally, talked to a guy in secret"

they don't represent ME as a bi so they'd better loving take that "all" out of their bio before i sue

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattdacookie/status/1255509294705004544

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

What is @‘ing Wikipedia even supposed to do?

And lol @target “please let us know where we can send a letter”. Wow, if only there was some kind of World Wide Web of information where this stuff could be found!

But no, it’s 2020 and Twitter is officially the only means of communication or getting things done and I just want to walk into the ocean.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

queer people are legally allowed to do crimes if the pride flags don't have a gold trim, look it up

(also this is a good starting point for why the nonprofit industrial complex must be burnt to the ground. epstein is the next step.)

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

MizPiz posted:

When you need credibility in order to dismiss the Biden rape accusation

https://twitter.com/goodatsexguy/status/1254517440844754944?s=19

Checks out

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

To be fair about 1 in 5 rock songs from the 70s and 80s were specifically about lusting after underage girls.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Back then it was PERFECTLY NORMAL

truly a golden age

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

queer people are legally allowed to do crimes if the pride flags don't have a gold trim, look it up

(also this is a good starting point for why the nonprofit industrial complex must be burnt to the ground. epstein is the next step.)

*ppppssssssst PPPSSSTTT* YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TELL THE CIS THAT.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

christmas boots posted:

I remember reading some pushback on that statement, and IIRC there’s absence of evidence but that doesn’t mean evidence of absence. The WHO just wanted to make sure countries didn’t start implementing immunity passports under an assumption that we can’t claim with confidence
The lasting part is also a big deal as far as I understand it, since how long coronavirus antibodies linger effectively varies. Plus you have to factor in possible mutations. It's not hopeless, but it's also not something to stake your life on right now.

I flunked immunology though, it's insanely complicated.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I pay my pride flag licensing fees like any good bi should.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll IOSM now about extensions. I've got tampermonkey on Firefox to shrink mp4 sized but it's not qorking anymore. The sa grenade pops up and it has a title but there's it says there's no script running when I click on it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

letthereberock posted:

To be fair about 1 in 5 rock songs from the 70s and 80s were specifically about lusting after underage girls.

Little Richard dated an underage girl to keep up appearances because that was socially acceptable but being gay wasn't.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they already deleted their account lol

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

repiv posted:

they already deleted their account lol

Thread:
https://twitter.com/DrGBeth/status/1255598414252949506

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/gregbales01/status/1254771692053774338?s=21

Those are mostly .22s and BB guns

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was nearly shot with a .22 as a kid. I'm pretty glad I wasn't, for what it's worth.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Are Staten Island conservatives pro-gun? I assumed they are, but I'm not sure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

chitoryu12 posted:

Those are mostly .22s and BB guns

Was expecting "it was a cop's house"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Are Staten Island conservatives pro-gun? I assumed they are, but I'm not sure.
You're asking if working-class Italian and Irish-Americans who vote straight conservative are pro gun? In many ways they're worse than Deep South Conservatives because they'll hide behind bullshit about discrimination their great-great-great-grandpa faced on Ellis Island in 1830 as justification for the NYPD to carry riot gear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/377vkp/status/1255572451607687171?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/thegoodliomboy/status/1255494382448451584?s=21

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A loving .22 can still be lethal, and it's good when people who commit assaults lose access to deadly weapons. Especially those they possess illegally.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:lol: thats ice cold.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

illegal 22's are actually cool and good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1255557727956369414?s=20

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do reviews count as social media?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FirstAidKite posted:

Do reviews count as social media?

I know it’s probably just a bot, but I’m giggling at the mental imagery of someone trying to eat some PVC pipe.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RFK should have just walked it off instead of being such a baby it was only a .22.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Regalingualius posted:

I know it’s probably just a bot, but I’m giggling at the mental imagery of an actual robot trying to eat some PVC pipe.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah one Stanford study doing antibody tests in Santa Clara County estimated that actual coronavirus cases were 50-85 times higher than confirmed test cases, due to a combination of large numbers of asymptomatic and mild cases that didn't raise any alarms and whatever proportion of symptomatic people didn't get tested due to stringent testing restrictions. Although that study found that even at their highest estimate, still only 3% of the county's population had had the virus, meaning 97% hadn't (so even at way elevated rates of asymptomatic carriers, we're still nowhere near herd immunity). Also some autopsies came back and they found out people were dying from Covid up to a month before the first confirmed death in the US.

All these studies seem to add up to suggest that the virus was way more widespread way earlier than anyone realized and that it's caused a significant uptick in deaths compared to our existing endemic viruses like influenza. Any real confirmation on specific infection rates, death rates, and so on, is going to have to wait a long time because so much is still up in the air.

Oh you mean those studies that used a test with a 10-15% false positive rate and would most likely never get FDA approval?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/28/health/coronavirus-antibody-tests-terrible/index.html

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

fund my kickstarter and I will make a review bot that actually goes out and eats the food it writes about using high tech T-man patented robotechnology

note: i am an incompetent failure and will use your money for weed

The General
Mar 4, 2007

T-man posted:

fund my kickstarter and I will make a review bot that actually goes out and eats the food it writes about using high tech T-man patented robotechnology

note: i am an incompetent failure and will use your money for weed

If this is you, I don't see the problem.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ebola Roulette posted:

Oh you mean those studies that used a test with a 10-15% false positive rate and would most likely never get FDA approval?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/28/health/coronavirus-antibody-tests-terrible/index.html

You can read the Stanford study for yourself here. Looks like they used the Premier Biotech test, which is one of the ones included in the testing project and this isn't my field but it seems to be one of the more reliable ones they checked, even if it's obviously still imperfect. And uncertainty over the quality of the test is the main reason for the Stanford authors' stated uncertainty in their own results:

quote:

After adjusting for population and test performance characteristics, we estimate that the seroprevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in Santa Clara County is between 2.49% and 4.16%, with uncertainty bounds ranging from 1.80% (lower uncertainty bound of the lowest estimate), up to 5.70% (upper uncertainty bound of the highest estimate). Test performance characteristics are the most critical driver of this range, with lower estimates associated with data suggesting the test has a high sensitivity for identifying SARSCoV-2, and higher estimates resulting from data suggesting over 30% of positive cases are missed by the test.

These results represent the first large-scale community-based prevalence study in a major US county completed during a rapidly changing pandemic, and with newly available test kits. We consider our estimate to represent the best available current evidence, but recognize that new information, especially about the test kit performance, could result in updated estimates. For example, if new estimates indicate test specificity to be less than 97.9%, our SARS-CoV-2 prevalence estimate would change from 2.8% to less than 1%, and the lower uncertainty bound of our estimate would include zero. On the other hand, lower sensitivity, which has been raised as a concern with point-of-care test kits, would imply that the population prevalence would be even higher. New information on test kit performance and population should be incorporated as more testing is done and we plan to revise our estimates accordingly.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What the gently caress is binet and why is it a thing today?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Grem posted:

What the gently caress is binet and why is it a thing today?

A bisexual advocacy group. Their president went off the rails and claimed they alone hold the rights to the bi pride flag and started making threats of lawsuits to artists and companies selling merch featuring it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

grittyreboot posted:

A bisexual advocacy group. Their president went off the rails and claimed they alone hold the rights to the bi pride flag and started making threats of lawsuits to artists and companies selling merch featuring it.

It gets dumber.

https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1255569043177627648?s=20

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grittyreboot posted:

There's an emote of it on Twitch, which is owned by Amazon, IIRC. So good fuckin luck there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's an emote of it on Twitch, which is owned by Amazon, IIRC. So good fuckin luck there!

I mean, the lawsuit would never happen, but if it did it'd probably end with Amazon owning the concept of bisexuality. Anyone who didn't want to pay Amazon a licensing fee would have to come out as either straight or gay.