Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Shitposting on here mostly. Hang in there OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yes, hang in there. Things are poo poo but this too will pass.

Also, you are someone who has been running a stellar business. Someone who obviously cares a lot about your craft and about your coworkers. You've done great things in the past and I'm sure you can do good poo poo in the future.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, hang in there.
It's a pity you can't use the restaurant kitchen for delivery or or something, but I suppose it's just as well you're not trying to airdrop food - one slip up and some poor bastard is getting nailed to their lawn with a bunch of ribs.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

the only way i can think of a better way to die would involve lynda carter somehow

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Watching my savings evaporate and going insane locked in my house with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, and trying not to fall into alcoholic depression over the future of my career and family.

You?
Isn't alcoholic depression the default state for a creative chef?

Kidding. I hope you pull through, dude. Your food looks awesome, I've enjoyed reading this thread, and I hope everything works out for you.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just echoing what some others have said, this has been a great thread and you've got clear skills in the kitchen plus it seems like a solid understanding of business and you treat your staff right. Things suck now but you'll get another chance to make things right.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The entire staff has been laid off, none of us are receiving unemployment because of the broken system in our state, and we have no sign or news of the restaurant reopening. We rely on the 2 hardest hit industries in the world recovering before we can reopen.

We're all basically entirely and completely hosed and there is nothing we can do about it!

Well, gently caress. Is there a fundraiser or anything akin to that for your staff? We've been doing fundraising through my office for some of the contract staff that support our office... would be happy to kick in.

Hugs. I wish I had anything useful to say.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

the_chavi posted:

Well, gently caress. Is there a fundraiser or anything akin to that for your staff? We've been doing fundraising through my office for some of the contract staff that support our office... would be happy to kick in.

Hugs. I wish I had anything useful to say.

I appreciate the thought, but by the nature of our location, we have no local community support i.e. nobody gives a poo poo about us. Plus, we have about 100 staff, so it isn't like 8 people that can benefit from some light fundraising.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I appreciate the thought, but by the nature of our location, we have no local community support i.e. nobody gives a poo poo about us. Plus, we have about 100 staff, so it isn't like 8 people that can benefit from some light fundraising.

Yeah I imagine the location is really killing you. Can't do work for foodbanks/charity right now because loving LOL at getting that poo poo in and out through security.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Can you work at one of the other restaurants in the group, or maybe convince them to open a ghost kitchen to get by in the meantime? MCO is heavily reliant on Disney and Universal and neither of them is chomping at the bit to reopen. There has to be something to bridge the gap.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I can't remember if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but what is open at MCO?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Plastik posted:

Can you work at one of the other restaurants in the group, or maybe convince them to open a ghost kitchen to get by in the meantime? MCO is heavily reliant on Disney and Universal and neither of them is chomping at the bit to reopen. There has to be something to bridge the gap.

The other restaurants are either in Disney Springs, other airports in other cities, or one in Winter Park that is running skeleton crew for takeout. There is nothing to bridge the gap, we just have to wait until the inevitable final shut down.

I will likely be changing careers after this.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I can't remember if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but what is open at MCO?

Nothing

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The other restaurants are either in Disney Springs, other airports in other cities, or one in Winter Park that is running skeleton crew for takeout. There is nothing to bridge the gap, we just have to wait until the inevitable final shut down.

I will likely be changing careers after this.

Nothing

Sorry man, this thread is a whiplash from it launching back in December. Sorry everything fell apart and it was 100% out of your hands. If you do switch careers you sound like you would be a great manager even outside a restaurant.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yeah pretty sure the only industries that burn out good managers faster than food service involve phrases like "neo-natal" and "intensive care unit."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah pretty sure the only industries that burn out good managers faster than food service involve phrases like "neo-natal" and "intensive care unit."

It isn't burn out, I WANT to keep doing it. I just may not have a choice.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Both. The whole process of getting into an airport is a bidding war. Essentially, rent is rent, and then you compete with other companies with your concept, business plan, and most importantly, the cut you give the airport. So we pay a rent and also give a cut to the airport.

So yeah, we sort of decide what we pay, by bidding a certain amount to get the spot in the first place.

I read that you were located near an economy airline. How was it decided that you would occupy that space? Can you move to another space in the airport once the contract is up? Do you wish you were located in a different space in the airport?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

I read that you were located near an economy airline. How was it decided that you would occupy that space? Can you move to another space in the airport once the contract is up? Do you wish you were located in a different space in the airport?

That's the spot that was open. We aren't moving anywhere, we would expand. In fact, before the virus happened (and presumably after it's over unless it all goes tits up) we were building out a bunch of new concepts in a brand new terminal being built for international travel. Couple new restaurants and smaller bars and markets, very cool stuff. I am (was?) in line to take over as Director of Culinary Operations for all of our airport properties, basically managing a team of chefs and restaurants.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I've followed your thread and just want to say I wish you the best. Hopefully things recover quickly and if you can manage an 80 employee restaurant you can manage pretty much anywhere.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

"automotive sales"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

"automotive sales"

They said good managers.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've found this thread today and just finished reading it all. I am a solo business business traveler who spent a lot of time in Florida. I always stopped by your restaurant whenever I was at MCO. I usually ended up at the bar closest to windows. Hopefully I wasn't a dick. I have a lot of friends in the industry, and it's no skin off my back tipping at least 20% with someone else's money. I once met someone from my company for drinks there before our flight and was pretty embarrassed by his behavior. A whole lot of rude waving at the bartender to get his attention and complaining about his drink (he ordered a mai tai when he really wanted a daquiri). He didn't throw his drink at anyone, so there's that.

It's always nice to have a reliable spot with good food at different airports, and yours was definitely mine at MCO. Hope things are going well.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Disney is partially reopening soon, I hope that brings good news for you op.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We've been monitoring flights and watching them slowly creep upwards, so hopefully we can open again soon. Going to be way different though.

I'm hoping that the decreased business will give us a slightly less hectic environment and allow us to spend more time on in depth training and execution. When things are crazy, sometimes all you can do is sling plates as fast as possible, which leads to mistakes. This might be a good opportunity to refocus and tighten things up.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Have you considered opening to-go only with a limited menu? DFW is kind of a special case but over the last 2 weeks all the to-go restaurants there had a decent line every time I walked past them. Also, TSA screed over 500,000 people yesterday for the first time in almost 3 months which is a good sign.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

Have you considered opening to-go only with a limited menu? DFW is kind of a special case but over the last 2 weeks all the to-go restaurants there had a decent line every time I walked past them. Also, TSA screed over 500,000 people yesterday for the first time in almost 3 months which is a good sign.

I don't want to speak for OP, but they have always had a takeout counter and it's also good as hell. They don't serve all of the entrees, but some sandwiches and a few other good options.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The amount of overhead to keep the place open even in that limited capacity is huge. We actually had closed down the restaurant but kept our retail grab and go space open when poo poo hit the fan, and even with one cashier and skeleton crew prep staff, we weren't making enough in sales to cover the labor. The airport saw a 97% drop in travelers, there was nothing we could do. Hopefully we get to open soon though, in whatever capacity. I am so loving tired of eating beans and rice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We've reopened the satellite bar with no food. No plans at all yet for reopening the full restaurant, which makes sense. The virus is getting worse here, and places have been shutting down after spikes in infections. Still so much uncertainty, so we have no idea when we will reopen. The company is in survival mode, deciding which bills to pay each month and which to delay.

They suggested we find work, and when things get ready to open again we can probably step right back into it. But for now, that's it.

I'll keep the thread open for updates or if anything happens, but this is probably the end of the story. Thanks for the support and encouragement, goons.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well that sucks but yeah not unexpected tbh. I go to UCF and I'm probably not gonna be coming back to Orlando until 2021 at least, much less all the tourists and business traffic I imagine a restaurant in MCO needs to stay open. Best of luck, shame I didn't get the chance to check out the restaurant (I was planning to finally be going through MCO and stop by in March but then.... well), hopefully someday you'll reopen or failing that I'll check out wherever you end up.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m flying up for my in laws 50th wedding anniversary in mid-July, (fully masked, of course) so we’ll stop in if you’re open!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

aw heck

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dammit. In any case godspeed Sandwich Anarchist!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Oh hey, this is open again.

How's things going?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Oh hey, this is open again.

How's things going?

Great. I left the culinary industry and got into grocery as a cheese monger and am happier than ever. This restaurant closed for covid and never brought me or any of the other chefs back on, and now do prepackaged reheated airport food. I reopened this thread because some people have been asking me about it and wanted to read it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tell us about the cheese.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Also, is the prepackaged reheated stuff just normal airplane restaurant garbage? Like, wasn't it in a primo spot? Do you think it'll close completely cause it can't turn a profit?

Hell yeah for cheese monger, though :wooper:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Great. I left the culinary industry and got into grocery as a cheese monger and am happier than ever. This restaurant closed for covid and never brought me or any of the other chefs back on, and now do prepackaged reheated airport food. I reopened this thread because some people have been asking me about it and wanted to read it.

Really glad it worked out for you! It was obvious you loved food and knew your poo poo so it's great to hear you found a different place where you can still indulge that.

So where are you mongering your cheese? Finding tasty and decently priced cheese is not entirely straightforward in the US. It is like finding good bread.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

peanut posted:

Tell us about the cheese.

Ok, ask me something

Johnny Truant posted:

Also, is the prepackaged reheated stuff just normal airplane restaurant garbage? Like, wasn't it in a primo spot? Do you think it'll close completely cause it can't turn a profit?

Hell yeah for cheese monger, though :wooper:

From what I have heard and seen, it's better than food court stuff, but MUCH lower quality than what we were doing before; next to nothing being done in house, and no chefs to oversee and develop anything. Last I heard from a cook who worked there is that their sales were slightly less than 20% of what they were, but that was some months ago.

Munin posted:

Really glad it worked out for you! It was obvious you loved food and knew your poo poo so it's great to hear you found a different place where you can still indulge that.

So where are you mongering your cheese? Finding tasty and decently priced cheese is not entirely straightforward in the US. It is like finding good bread.

I'm at a major national grocery chain that carries lots of organic and specialty goods.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Oh Nice! Now that you say that I feel I remember you posting something about it in either Retail thread or Restaurant thread, but I never remember who is who. How are you liking it?

What is your favorite cheese to eat?
What is your favorite cheese to sell?

Aside from cheddar, what cheese do you sell the most of? (I'm assuming cheddar is #1, although it could probably be broken down a lot from there because it's a broad category of cheese)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Oh Nice! Now that you say that I feel I remember you posting something about it in either Retail thread or Restaurant thread, but I never remember who is who. How are you liking it?

Yeah that was me in the restaurant thread. It fuckin rules, I love it.

quote:

What is your favorite cheese to eat?
What is your favorite cheese to sell?

I really like semi firm cheeses in the gouda style. One of my favorites is Midnight Moon by Cypress Grove. Recently been in love with Roth Pavino, a sort of sweeter and more complex alpine cheese.

I like selling to people what they need. Seeing someone delighted with their picks scratches the same itch as serving good food.

quote:

Aside from cheddar, what cheese do you sell the most of? (I'm assuming cheddar is #1, although it could probably be broken down a lot from there because it's a broad category of cheese)

Cheddar is not even close to our best seller. That award goes to Parmigiano Reggiano.

We import entire wheels and hand crack them, and it is absolutely the pillar of our department. Next in line is gouda, specifically the most boring red wax one, and a really nice aged gouda that is hard and grateable like Parmigiano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Great. I left the culinary industry and got into grocery as a cheese monger and am happier than ever.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well and that cheese is making you happy.