Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

large hands posted:

Infinity=no sound, 0=maximum volume

and infinity is infinity because you can't divide by 0, so infinity just represents the theoretical limit.
:goonsay:

oh wow what a lame page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
1/0 is infinity

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Local hi-fi shop is delivering so I replaced the busted om5e on the turntable.

Just going to listen to this album on repeat until this poo poo blows over.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I feel like an Ortofon Blue is a good endgame cart for most people

Like, you’ll be plenty happy with an AT95e but a 2M Blue is an acceptable amount of flossing.

It’s being content with glenfidditch and then deciding at the last moment, “no you know what, I’m getting that bottle of blue label because I’m worth it”

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I feel like an Ortofon Blue is a good endgame cart for most people

Like, you’ll be plenty happy with an AT95e but a 2M Blue is an acceptable amount of flossing.

It’s being content with glenfidditch and then deciding at the last moment, “no you know what, I’m getting that bottle of blue label because I’m worth it”

Im really, really happy with it (and the phono stage in the new preamp). I figure when I upgrade from my pro-ject essential to a carbon or something I'll keep this cartridge.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Because the lunatics (engineers) were running the asylum I'd guess. That's how you wind up with fantastic Hi Fi gear that makes no sense to the average consumer.

It's a shame Sony lurched so far in the other direction during the Plastic Bullshit SUPA WOOFA era.

Growing up in the 90s and into the 2000s, I had only seen Sony equipment that belonged in that latter category. I assumed they were just another crappy consumer brand, and it wasn’t until I got into hifi stuff much, much later that I realized they made some really good stuff.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

polyester concept posted:

Growing up in the 90s and into the 2000s, I had only seen Sony equipment that belonged in that latter category. I assumed they were just another crappy consumer brand, and it wasn’t until I got into hifi stuff much, much later that I realized they made some really good stuff.

I remember them being department store stereos, stuff I'd look down on while saving up for NAD gear, but from what I've read the ES stuff from that era is more like Denon or something?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cojawfee posted:

1/0 is infinity

The anger I harbor towards this comment is irrational.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an ES [technically DB which was ES minus the warranty] receiver from 1999 and one from 2008. The 99 model sold on Craigslist in a day and the buyer offered me $20 over asking 5 hours after I posted it. The 2008 model ended up at Goodwill because I couldn’t sell it even for $40.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My 80s Sony turntable is an overbuilt monster. They made some great stuff.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X50.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gently caress me, the UO rose gold LP60X-BT won’t be back in stock until “end of June”. Recently back in stock for like all of a week.

Don’t judge, it’s by far (by faaar) the best color. I want something good and cheap to play LPs on while I’m stuck working out of my room and generally having to share the space with the roommates more.

Plus Bluetooth means I can hook my headphones and portable speaker to it for when I’m working around the house/outside.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If any electronics guys in here are able to give me some guidance it would be a huge help. I opened up one of the Epi towers that I think I damaged while hooking up the new power amp the other day. Basically the speakers now sound like there's a blanket over them, no treble, muffled vocals

looks like the previous owner replaced the caps and resistors when he put new posts on.

I have access to a multimeter, and a tiny amp I could test individual drivers with but I have no idea what I should be looking for.

Just to be clear there are 8 drivers per speaker, 2 pointing in each direction:

large hands fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 7, 2020

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

On a negative note the suspension of my Shure V15V-MR stylus failed. I knew it was a delicate cart and the suspension was delicate when it was new and 35 years means it was bound to have deteriorated like a turntable belt.

While not cheap at $200 at least JICO makes a replacement stylus and I won't have to worry about the suspension falling for a decade or 2. Ordered one for ebay for $165 from a Japanese seller. I will have to see if it's as good as the original when it gets here. Running a $30 ortophon Omega cart in the meantime.

Update: the Jico stylus took 2 months to arrive but fit perfectly and sounds wonderful.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Good haul from one of the local shops that is doing online shopping and pickup:

I'm such a sucker for 80s production and tango in the night is certainly a display of that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's a drat good pick up.

What's the rarest and/or most valuable record in your collection?

Mine is this

It's pretty rare because in the US, they were not allowed to release the album with that name (they changed it to "6 Feet Deep"). It also includes an extra track and some small mixing differences to the US release. It sounds absolutely incredible on vinyl. It's worth about $120 or so in good condition, so not ridiculously priced, but not cheap either.

I also have the US release on vinyl which surprisingly is worth about the same, price wise.

One interesting thing about this version of the album is this little blurb on the back

It makes it sound like it's a promotional vinyl but it's not. There WAS a promo release on vinyl (which I also have lol) but the curse words are edited. I dunno, it just seems kinda funny to me that a retail release has a blurb permanently imprinted on it about buying it on other formats.

Anyway what's the rarest release in your collections?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I found a first-run copy of Dreamboat Annie that contained an insert signed by all the members of Heart. That's gotta be pretty up there. The album itself is common as rainwater though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I took over my dad's record player years ago and have been building my own collection. Then yesterday cleaned out a closet across from my bathroom and it turned out all of his old records have been in there for years now. Nothing super great. Mostly just George Carlin and Bill Cosby albums. A few decent music albums, and Thriller for some reason. Neither of my parents listen to pop music, so I don't know why anyone would have bought that, but it was a cool find anyway.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Now that I've entered everything into Discogs, I can say that mine is definitely this Archie Whitewater album. It's the only thing I have that I could likely sell for >$100. Only got that recently at a pawn shop for free.

Runner up would be this Don't Walk Out On Love (Frankie Knuckles Remix) 12" single, since my copy is sealed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
In 2014 I stood in line for over four hours with my childhood best friend so that Wayne Coyne could doodle all over our copies of The Soft Bulletin with sharpies and tell us about how “Race for the Prize” was partially inspired by his dad dying of cancer and the oncology people he met during that time.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Anyway what's the rarest release in your collections?

If we're talking specific editions mine would be Soundtracks for the Blind box set painted by Jarboe. Every one she does is different and she posts pictures of them on her website. When I bought it I also specifically requested she sign it to me personally so that's super cool.

If we're talking more generally it's probably Qujaku's self titled album. Discogs is showing 91 other users with this record in their collection. Super awesome psych/drone/noise rock/post-rock group, check out their band camp if that sounds like your cup of tea.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
First few that caught my eye:

not expensive or rare I think but I was super happy to get this set of Island UK original Roxy Music albums

early first pressing of Before and After Science with the art prints (really need to get them framed)

my favourite Sun kil moon album in white

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not really super rare nor valuable, but my UK Bronze Records first press Ace of Spades. Mostly because it's probably my favorite album ever, and I paid less than $5 for it, from a bargain bin because the cover is really ratty and worn. The LP itself is in excellent condition.

Another favorite is Judas Priest's Hell Bent for Leather. Mostly because it's supposed to be called Killing Machine in Europe. So I guess someone bought the album in the US and brought it back here.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 15, 2020

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I have this Shovels & Rope single in a rad tri-color edition that was only sold at Monster Music in Charleston:

It's only in 43 collections on Discogs, so I think that's my rarest thing.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Not really super rare nor valuable, but my UK Bronze Records first press Ace of Spades. Mostly because it's probably my favorite album ever, and I paid less than $5 for it, from a bargain bin because the cover is really ratty and worn. The LP itself is in excellent condition.

Nice! I'd love to have that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Speaking of Third Man Records, I have Adam Savage's Brain Candy record. It's not worth anything, but I like it. It was recorded by sending the microphone straight into a record cutter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You all got some awesome stuff. I am embarrassed to say I paid the full inflated price for that record because for some reason I decided to get into vinyl at the worst time possible.

Luckily for my wallet I have pretty narrow musical tastes so after obtaining about 70 or so LPs I am pretty much done with my collecting.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

It makes it sound like it's a promotional vinyl but it's not. There WAS a promo release on vinyl (which I also have lol) but the curse words are edited. I dunno, it just seems kinda funny to me that a retail release has a blurb permanently imprinted on it about buying it on other formats.

bootleg? i have bootlegs that have similar stamps on them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wolfbiker posted:

bootleg? i have bootlegs that have similar stamps on them.

I don't think so; images on Discogs show it as well. The inner sleeve is top quality too so I really doubt it based on that as well.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I dunno, it just seems kinda funny to me that a retail release has a blurb permanently imprinted on it about buying it on other formats.

It used to be a lot more common than it is now. Some old releases have the entire back cover reserved for record label promotions, and only a small section for the track list.

I think the idea was that if you saw it at a store but you didn't own a record player, you could ask the store to order you a copy on another format. being on a gravediggaz album is kind of lol tho

Artists having complete control over album packaging used to be the exception, not the rule.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 16, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I wanted something that looked cool and used removable head shells so I could have a setup dedicated to gross nasty filthy records.

It goes well next to the Denon thing with a DL-301 mk2 I don’t want to get dirty.

Ignore the mess, I’m moving soon and keep making changes to the system to figure out what I want the final setup to be. Once I move it’ll be tidy!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

In 2014 I stood in line for over four hours with my childhood best friend so that Wayne Coyne could doodle all over our copies of The Soft Bulletin with sharpies and tell us about how “Race for the Prize” was partially inspired by his dad dying of cancer and the oncology people he met during that time.

This is the only Wayne Coyne anecdote I've ever heard that wasn't about him being a creep/raging rear end in a top hat

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

internet celebrity posted:

If we're talking specific editions mine would be Soundtracks for the Blind box set painted by Jarboe. Every one she does is different and she posts pictures of them on her website. When I bought it I also specifically requested she sign it to me personally so that's super cool.

Oh that's cool, I missed out on her doing that. Did you pay the $300 for the set or send her your own boxes? I used to stay current with Jarboe but at some point I got dropped from her mailing list and now she just pumps out too many editions and rough sounding recordings, I can't keep up and the quality I think has kinda declined.

I've got this Coil set.

My mom's cousin has an original Beatles album signed by all 4. It lives in a safe deposit box at a bank.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Listerine posted:

Oh that's cool, I missed out on her doing that. Did you pay the $300 for the set or send her your own boxes? I used to stay current with Jarboe but at some point I got dropped from her mailing list and now she just pumps out too many editions and rough sounding recordings, I can't keep up and the quality I think has kinda declined.

I managed to snag mine, box set included, when she was selling them for 160 which was a total steal. I guess she eventually realized that she was not charging enough.

For what it's worth her newest album Illusory is consistently good, if you were a fan in the past it's definitely worth checking out. It got a vinyl pressing too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm trying to upgrade my home stereo system. Currently what I use is my old Akai AM-U33 amp with my turntable on the phone input and my TV running into an analog converter and then into one of the aux inputs. Sound comes from a pair of old Sonic speaker cabinets that I re-speakered with celestions years ago, and these speakers also serve as small tables for some vintage lamps that are part of our 1960s living room setup. This system, while it has served adequately, is not where I want to be. So, please direct me to a better amp and speakers that can a) handle both turntable and television inputs, b) sound super clear, and c) possibly still serves as small tables for my lamps. I'd also like to keep things to under $1000 all together if possible.

Thoughts?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm trying to upgrade my home stereo system. Currently what I use is my old Akai AM-U33 amp with my turntable on the phone input and my TV running into an analog converter and then into one of the aux inputs. Sound comes from a pair of old Sonic speaker cabinets that I re-speakered with celestions years ago, and these speakers also serve as small tables for some vintage lamps that are part of our 1960s living room setup. This system, while it has served adequately, is not where I want to be. So, please direct me to a better amp and speakers that can a) handle both turntable and television inputs, b) sound super clear, and c) possibly still serves as small tables for my lamps. I'd also like to keep things to under $1000 all together if possible.

Thoughts?

Do you want a vintage system? Obviously not if you want hdmi for the tv etc. Most modern AV receivers are coming with a phono stage now and the sound is going to be fairly uniformly clear on that end. Take your pick between Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc...

That leaves you with about $500 for speakers. The form factor you’re looking for (large boxy speakers) hasn’t really been made since the 70s. Maybe search Craigslist for some Sansui kabuki speakers or something. If “clear sounding” is more important than “end tables” for you, I would encourage you to wait until lockdowns are loosened and then demo a few pairs at a Best Buy or something. Everyone’s ears are different. You won’t find contemporary speakers you can put a lamp on, though. Not in your price range (and if you’re spending thousands on speakers maybe you don’t want to put lamps on them?) There are some tower speakers you could put a small lamp on but I don’t know if that’s really stable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Thoughts?

Do you want stereo or 5.1 (I wouldn’t go higher than 5.2 myself)? Do you want vintage aesthetics? Quirky? Wood paneling? Do you want vintage looks with modern conveniences + durability or would you prefer to find high performance vintage pieces and make them fit in today’s ecosystem?

How much bass do you want? You mention using your current speakers as tables. Given your budget it might be hard to find good big vintage/classic-looking floor standing speakers. I have some big bookshelf speakers that may work but you might be encouraged to stretch your budget by a couple hundred if you want modern speakers with big vintage cachet.

Alternatively you could look into building your own kit or veneering/finishing some speakers how you’d like, if you’re handy enough.

For a vintage-looking, excellent modern 2/2.1 channel amp I’d look at the Yamaha A-S series. Either the A-S501 or A-S701 (the 701 can be had on sale in the ~500-600 range and it’s well worth it at that price. The 801 is the flagship model but the fancy USB DAC stuff it adds is totally superfluous and dumb in my book. 501 has less output power but they’re otherwise the same, and can be had pretty cheap. These things also show up refurbished by various sellers including Yamaha themselves and I’ve seen refurb 501s in the sub-300 range which is a loving steal for what you get). These come in silver or black, they’ve got a remote, optical + coax DAC, great phono stage, and they’re a direct homage to Yamaha’s classic hi fi lineup from the 70s.

For speakers- if you could spring for Wharfedale Lintons I’d encourage you to look at them. Otherwise there’s also the Wharfedale Denton 80s and Denton 85s (two very different models with vastly different price tags) which are much smaller but really own that old school look.

I’d also look at the new Monitor Audio Monitor Series (if you can find them for sale in your area) and old/new Monitor Audio Bronze

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want to avoid getting a phono preamp and you don't want to spend a ton of money, then Onkyo are generally going to be your go to for 'good features, low price'. Anything above the level entry receivers has a proper phono input. Such as this one (which looks in limited supply, so will be down to your area) - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-tx-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6194119.p?skuId=6194119

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you want to avoid getting a phono preamp and you don't want to spend a ton of money, then Onkyo are generally going to be your go to for 'good features, low price'. Anything above the level entry receivers has a proper phono input. Such as this one (which looks in limited supply, so will be down to your area) - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-tx-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6194119.p?skuId=6194119
This, but if you don't mind an extra piece of equipment between your turntable and receiver then, you could also consider a used or refurbed receiver from accessories4less and just buy a phono stage with some of the money you'd save. That is, if you can't find one you like with a phono input.

As for speakers, you might be able to find a pair of relatively new-but-used Klipsch Heresy speakers. Those are about end-table sized.

Comedy option would be just getting tall home theater speakers and a pair of SVS PB-16 Ultra subwoofers for your end tables.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 30, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
heresies, Bose 901, Polk monitor 7 or 10 series are all nice vintage speakers that double as end tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This is all good stuff, thanks! My speaker cabinets are actually pretty ok, but it's the lack of a sub that limits me. That and lovely speaker wire. And possible bad bits inside the Akai. The Klipsch Heresies are about the size I'm looking for, though, so maybe that will be my treat to myself after reflooring the house, etc. etc. In the meantime, the Yamaha AS series looks right for me.