Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Javid posted:

Weird character in the URL or title?

That's my theory. The URL was long as gently caress and had a lot of parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
After upgrading my PC (including adding a new graphics card) when I scroll a page too quickly for too long it becomes blank white space, then takes a second to load the actual page back. Turning off hardware acceleration fixes it but I'm worried about less efficiency or missed features when I do that. Anyone know what's causing this?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Am I the only one having this problem? Google doesn't help at all, and constantly losing my tabs is slowly driving me insane.
Disable Automatic Tab Disarding

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to make Chrome translate a page that's in English, but has Japanese text on it? For example, if you go to this page, then click on Japan in the top left corner, then click on the Board Passives tab that appears on the right side of the info above the picture, most of the text is in Japanese. Chrome doesn't offer the Translate option in the address bar.

Googling says to visit a site in Japanese, and then for the Translate option, choose Options and tell it to Always Translate. I tried that, and it still didn't work.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I right-clicked the page and selected "translate to english"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I right-clicked the page and selected "translate to english"

Well I feel stupid. It wasn't doing that for me, because I was thinking I had to select the text first, and then I'd get a Translate option. Thanks!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, you just have to right-click now. There used to be an icon in the address bar, but they've apparently removed it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The address bar icon is still there but it's context-hidden. I think it only shows up if the html lang tag is both correctly set on the website and doesn't match Chrome's UI language.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions for an extension that lets me define a blacklist/whitelist for cookies? It's been the easiest way for me to bypass paywalls for sites like The Atlantic.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for an extension that lets me define a blacklist/whitelist for cookies? It's been the easiest way for me to bypass paywalls for sites like The Atlantic.

I use Cookie AutoDelete on Firefox. The problem for Chrome is that Chrome doesn't let extensions touch Local Storage. Some paywalled websites have caught on to the cookie thing and use local storage data instead.

The other thing that works on some sites is using UBlock in advanced mode where it can block javascript completely. (At least, it does until whatever version of chrome that will get rid of advanced asblocking.)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

No extension required.
https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#CookiesAllowedForUrls
https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#CookiesBlockedForUrls

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Awesome. Thanks!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I reinstalled Windows for the first time in 5 years and I can't seem to find a good mouse gestures extension. I think I used Gestures from Chrome in the past but it's not there anymore, and the most popular one CrxMouse seems to have some privacy concerns according to Reddit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Josh Lyman posted:

I reinstalled Windows for the first time in 5 years and I can't seem to find a good mouse gestures extension. I think I used Gestures from Chrome in the past but it's not there anymore, and the most popular one CrxMouse seems to have some privacy concerns according to Reddit.

The sad reality of extensions. It's why I use the bare minimum now.

I was actually in the same situation after a reinstall and eventually just gave up on mouse gestures.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The sad reality of extensions. It's why I use the bare minimum now.

I was actually in the same situation after a reinstall and eventually just gave up on mouse gestures.
I really only use one gesture, down-right to close a tab/window, but I use it CONSTANTLY. I don't understand why this ecosystem is completely broken.

At least uBlock Origin is still reliable, right? :ohdear:

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I really only use one gesture, down-right to close a tab/window, but I use it CONSTANTLY. I don't understand why this ecosystem is completely broken.

Both Opera and Vivaldi support mouse gestures, might be a better option than trying to hunt down some Chrome extension. They both also support downloading extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

And Ublock Origin still is the adblocker of choice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

netBuff posted:

Both Opera and Vivaldi support mouse gestures, might be a better option than trying to hunt down some Chrome extension. They both also support downloading extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

And Ublock Origin still is the adblocker of choice.
I don't know how Opera and Vivaldi play with all the media-rich websites we have these days since Chrome seems to be the most compatible browser in 2020.

REGARDLESS, I lucked out and an old laptop that I don't really use still had Gesture for Chrome installed, so I was able to copy over the folder and load it into the new Windows install. Chrome INSTANTLY became so much more usable! :dance:

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know how Opera and Vivaldi play with all the media-rich websites we have these days since Chrome seems to be the most compatible browser in 2020.

Both Opera and Vivaldi are based on Chrome. As is the new Edge MS will soon push to all Windows installations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

It is until whichever version when google decides to remove manifest V2 support, then ublock doesn't work and chrome users get forced back into adblock-in-2005 level blocking.

That's still "TBD" on their timeline though.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Josh Lyman posted:

I really only use one gesture, down-right to close a tab/window, but I use it CONSTANTLY.
So ignore me entirely if your use case is that you just usually use Chrome from a tablet without a keyboard or have other complicating circumstances, but if you do typically have a keyboard and can do so, it might be worthwhile to switch over to the corresponding keyboard shortcuts?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I use this for Chrome mouse gestures and it works great: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clean-crxmouse-gestures/mjidkpedjlfnanainpdfnedkdlacidla

It's not the one with the privacy concerns.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

It is until whichever version when google decides to remove manifest V2 support, then ublock doesn't work and chrome users get forced back into adblock-in-2005 level blocking.

That's still "TBD" on their timeline though.

Safari-level adblocking is what they're going for - so, not great, but it works well enough.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

So ignore me entirely if your use case is that you just usually use Chrome from a tablet without a keyboard or have other complicating circumstances, but if you do typically have a keyboard and can do so, it might be worthwhile to switch over to the corresponding keyboard shortcuts?
I do use keyboard navigation at times but that tab close gesture is incredibly useful.

I use this for Chrome mouse gestures and it works great: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clean-crxmouse-gestures/mjidkpedjlfnanainpdfnedkdlacidla

It's not the one with the privacy concerns.
Trying this now since I had to install Gestures for Chrome under developer mode and now I'm getting a popup warning whenever I open chrome. Supposedly you can remove the popup with a registry edit but I'd rather not in case it blocks other useful popups.

Reddit hasn't really posted about the extension in 3 years but it was considered safe then and it's still the same version.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any way to disable this type of autofill/autocomplete? The kind that uses the history of what you've previously searched

I know how to delete individual ones but I just want it off altogether

I swear I didn't used to have it happen but now I can't find a way to disable it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

101 posted:

Is there any way to disable this type of autofill/autocomplete? The kind that uses the history of what you've previously searched
Chrome explicitly disregards the spec on the attribute to disable such auto-fill nonsense, so you're somewhat at their whims on that, unfortunately.

There's a long thread in the Chromium bug forums about it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Generally the mechanic is supposed to be:
HTML code:
<input type="text" autocomplete="off">
It will err if you have a form with multiple elements that trigger a form-completion for an address or similar. So try to wrap the element with its own <form> tags, noting you cannot nest forms.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 19, 2020

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cugel the Clever posted:

Chrome explicitly disregards the spec on the attribute to disable such auto-fill nonsense, so you're somewhat at their whims on that, unfortunately.

There's a long thread in the Chromium bug forums about it.

So has it always been like that and I've just started noticing? Weird

Does Firefox let you disable them?

MrMoo posted:

Generally the mechanic is supposed to be:
HTML code:
<input type="text" autocomplete="off">
It will err if you have a form with multiple elements that trigger a form-completion for an address or similar. So try to wrap the element with its own <form> tags, noting you cannot nest forms.

What? Is this how to disable them in web development? 😅

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's Amazon.com or a flavour of though? Ha, you could try clearing your browser cache et al, try in Incognito mode, etc. Looks like unfortunately you received a broken version of their page for some reason, or your :chome: has broken brain like being enrolled in some new horrendous experiment for forced autocomplete. There are a lot available checking today in the "chrome :// flags" URL, the descriptions are not exactly targeted for mere mortals though 💩

If it wasn't Amazon:

As a user you would probably need a user script that modified the page as so, I assume there must be some stock ones out there. There are a lot that enable autocomplete, finding one that disables it more challenging. Maybe need to make one specific for that website.

Usually nagging the site authors to fix it would be the way forward, https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Securing_your_site/Turning_off_form_autocompletion

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

101 posted:

So has it always been like that and I've just started noticing? Weird
poo poo, I was phone posting, mistook this for the Web Dev thread, and thought the question was about forcing it off for all users. I have no idea about in-browser options to disable as the user.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Closing chrome has a tendency to freeze my computer, sometimes indefinitely. Is this a known issue or more likely my PC's fault

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

Closing chrome has a tendency to freeze my computer, sometimes indefinitely. Is this a known issue or more likely my PC's fault

That's not normal, sounds like it might be your PC. Closing chrome does write out some files but it's not super intensive. Might be worth doing some hardware tests, check the HD with crystal disk info and maybe the RAM and CPU with a memtest86+ boot disk overnight.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Trying this now since I had to install Gestures for Chrome under developer mode and now I'm getting a popup warning whenever I open chrome. Supposedly you can remove the popup with a registry edit but I'd rather not in case it blocks other useful popups.

Reddit hasn't really posted about the extension in 3 years but it was considered safe then and it's still the same version.

Clean crxMouse is giving you a popup warning whenever you open Chrome? I have installed this on dozens of Chrome instances and never seen that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Clean crxMouse is giving you a popup warning whenever you open Chrome? I have installed this on dozens of Chrome instances and never seen that.
No, I copied over Gestures from Chrome from an old laptop but you can only install from a local folder in developer mode. The pop up is related to extensions installed in that mode.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are the best ad/pop-up/redirect blockers for Chrome as of now?

The OP was last updated in 2015.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
uBlock Origin https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
uBlock Origin Extra https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin-extra/pgdnlhfefecpicbbihgmbmffkjpaplco

Customize the filters to your liking, you might want to add filters for additional languages should you visit non-english sites on the regular.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lambert posted:

uBlock Origin https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
uBlock Origin Extra https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin-extra/pgdnlhfefecpicbbihgmbmffkjpaplco

Customize the filters to your liking, you might want to add filters for additional languages should you visit non-english sites on the regular.

Thanks! And I probably should’ve checked the last page before I posted that.

What about a tab management extension that lets you have an unlimited(-ish) number of open tabs in a window? I read good things about something called “Too Many Tabs”, but that was a couple of years ago and poo poo may have changed since then.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Is this thing where clicking on a Google search result brings up a page with automatically highlighted text a new Chrome feature, or some other poo poo Google is doing? And is there any way to stop it?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It seems to be two things, google adds something to the URL, and chrome understands and highlights the text. Not sure which would be easier to attack.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I mostly access the forums through the Awful app on my tab, but with the lockdown I've started using Chrome on my home PC. I've noticed that tweets don't appear to embed in Chrome, though Youtube is fine. I can switch over to the app and the tweets appear fine there. Is there an extension or some such that will allow tweets to appear as embeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moreau posted:

I mostly access the forums through the Awful app on my tab, but with the lockdown I've started using Chrome on my home PC. I've noticed that tweets don't appear to embed in Chrome, though Youtube is fine. I can switch over to the app and the tweets appear fine there. Is there an extension or some such that will allow tweets to appear as embeds?

You must have some tracking protection or adblocking extension enabled that stops Twitter embeds from loading. Chrome doesn't block Twitter embeds by default.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 2, 2020