Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Better Call Saul has gone through lulls where everything is a slow burn, but the acting, writing, and production have always been top-notch. It also felt like two very distinct shows for most of its run, with the Jimmy/Kim/Chuck/Howard legal drama and the Mike/Nacho/Gus/Salamancas cartel storyline. But the fifth season that just ended was probably the strongest season yet, and definitely the most exciting and tense, now that the two distinct storylines have fully merged.

It has been in my Top Ten shows every year since it started, but four months into this year, I can't imagine a show coming along to knock it off my #1 position for 2020. I honestly think it's a better show than Breaking Bad at this point, but it has one more season (which is probably a long ways off) to cement my opinion one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Yesterday I decided to turn on Dexter as my background noise show for the next few days, but I am absolutely not letting it run past season 5.

Man, those last 3 seasons sucked.

Nah what you've to do with this one is find the old threads on here and follow them along while you watch the shows later seasons.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cactus posted:

Nah what you've to do with this one is find the old threads on here and follow them along while you watch the shows later seasons.

gently caress that poo poo. I ground through my hate watching and posting in real time and I'm pretty sure my fingerprints are all over a bunch of what I'm sure are terrible posts in those threads.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Fair enough lol. Those threads were hate watching almost to an art form.

Sooooo anyways, after the first episode of Tales from the Loop left me cold (I think I've overdone the genre sci-fi recently) I thought I'd change tack. I'm in the mood for one of those melodramatic comfy CW teen shows so I downloaded All American, and judging by the blurb and the bit of the 1st episode I'm currently into it seems like it's going to be a bit like the OC, or maybe Friday night Lights or something like that? Is this an apt assessment or have I misled myself?

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I just finished Breaking Bad. Never seen 1 minute of it before 2 weeks ago when I started. Season 5 had me get the bourbon out to get through and I barely drink by myself. Holy poo poo.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mental Hospitality posted:

This is the order they appear on Amazon video:
Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwhacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Message
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space

This is the correct order. I can't remember the exact juggling that went on with their broadcast, but Train Job was written to serve as a quick and dirty pilot and Serenity was later (doesn't do a terrible job, but is awkward in the wake of Serenity).

On the bright side of things, you can move straight on to the movie Serenity instead of having to launch a fan-based campaign. If you enjoy the show, you'll enjoy the movie. I've rewatched it all recently and it hasn't lost much of its luster for me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It should have been a "Serenity" class ship named "Firefly", instead of the other way around.

Nobody is green-lighting a show named "Constitution" instead of "Enterprise" :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Yesterday I decided to turn on Dexter as my background noise show for the next few days, but I am absolutely not letting it run past season 5.

Man, those last 3 seasons sucked.

honestly only 1-3 stand up at all, and you can probably skip 2 if you're not a big Jimmy Smits fan

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

saihttam posted:

I just finished Breaking Bad. Never seen 1 minute of it before 2 weeks ago when I started. Season 5 had me get the bourbon out to get through and I barely drink by myself. Holy poo poo.

It's so good. And one of the few shows to totally stick the landing, which excuses a lot of the missteps in the middle.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Better Call Saul is the weaker for never doing anything as nutty as the plane crash

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

High Warlord Zog posted:

Better Call Saul is the weaker for never doing anything as nutty as the plane crash

There’s still time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Julio Cruz posted:

honestly only 1-3 stand up at all, and you can probably skip 2 if you're not a big Jimmy Smits fan

A Big Jimmy Smits Fan would make a pretty good user name.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
watching the Outer Banks. It's like stranger things but with older prettier teens searching for gold. It's ok, I'm 45 and male and this is probably more geared towards a 15 year old girl but it's watchable.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

Jimmy Smits doesn't appear until season 3. Seasons 1 is the Ice Truck Killer, season 2 is Doakes/Lila and Lundy investigating, season 3 is Smits, season 4 is Lithgow and season 5 is Lumen/rapists and season 6 is Hanks/Olmos. I can't remember off the top of my head what was in 6/7 except for 7 being a lot investigation of Dexter and the stupid rear end ending.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If I'm remembering correctly the end of season 4 is a really good place to just pretend the show ended there and walk away. I really enjoyed Lithgow

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

TMMadman posted:

Jimmy Smits doesn't appear until season 3. Seasons 1 is the Ice Truck Killer, season 2 is Doakes/Lila and Lundy investigating, season 3 is Smits, season 4 is Lithgow and season 5 is Lumen/rapists and season 6 is Hanks/Olmos. I can't remember off the top of my head what was in 6/7 except for 7 being a lot investigation of Dexter and the stupid rear end ending.

As much as I hate thinking about this stupid show that I watched all the way through, I feel like season 7 had a (Russian?) mob boss and Yvonne Strahovski playing Poison Ivy. That's also the season where Debra knows Dexter is the BHB and they kill LaGuerta after two scenes of her doing very obvious "detective" work. Season 8 has Charlotte Rampling playing the Ikea Monkey.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gangs of London is extremely the poo poo

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

101 posted:

If I'm remembering correctly the end of season 4 is a really good place to just pretend the show ended there and walk away. I really enjoyed Lithgow

My fantasy version of Dexter goes season 1, then season 4, then season 2 but ending with Dexter being caught and put in jail. That would have been one of the best serial killer shows ever made. Instead, it... isn't.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Dexter was never even that great of a show, but when it got bad, it was one of the worst things.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

mllaneza posted:

I'll agree with that. It wasn't ever going to be timeless, but what it was was pretty entertaining, and the cast chemistry was amazing.

I just finished S5 of Better Call Saul, and it is going to be a brutal wait through the Covid-enforced hiatus for season six. I'd say don't be in any hurry to get to it (or any series with more seasons yet to come), but goddamn BCS turned out to be an amazing show. It's been getting stiffed at the Emmys which is a damned shame, Rhea Seahorn as Kim Wexler is the best character on television the past few years. And all this to explain two names in a throwaway line in Breaking Bad.

Is S5 available for streaming anywhere? I'm just about to finish S4 on Netflix.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Season 5 of BCS won't drop on Netflix until like right before Season 6 premieres.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

clown shoes posted:

Season 5 of BCS won't drop on Netflix until like right before Season 6 premieres.

I figure that, but wondering if it's streaming anywhere else, locally or internationally. Have VPN, will travel.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

clown shoes posted:

Dexter was never even that great of a show, but when it got bad, it was one of the worst things.

I remember it being able to reach some pretty high highs early on though

Anyone know if any of the books are worth reading?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It wasn't the first to do it, but Dexter came at a time where having an outright Bad Person as your protagonist was relatively new to mainstream TV and I think that gimmick feeling fresh for its time gave the show more legs than it ever would have had otherwise.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dexter always sounded like the backstory to some fourteen year-old edgelord’s assassin D&D character to explain why his murderous loner would be ok joining the party.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell has completely hit the spot for my sophomoric comedy needs. I love it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wife has been watching Ozark. I'm not sure I want to, even though I like Jason Bateman and Julia Garner -- I've already seen Breaking Bad and Justified, how much more do I need?

I've finally been watching Westworld myself, and The Plot Against America, which has an amazing cast but is depressing as all hell.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Memnaelar posted:

I figure that, but wondering if it's streaming anywhere else, locally or internationally. Have VPN, will travel.

Season five is out here on Netflix in South Korea.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

cryptoclastic posted:

Season five is out here on Netflix in South Korea.

Booyah. Thanks, my friend.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Caught the Dave finale tonight. Loved it, as I did most of the season. That Breakfast Club appearance was a great final scene.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Klaaz posted:

I found the first couple episodes of BCS rather boring and never went back to it, should I? (love Breaking Bad though)

Breaking Bad was great. I've found that I like BCS even more.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

101 posted:

Season Four with Lithgow playing the Trinity killer was fantastic. Show obviously couldn't hit those heights again.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm still watching All American despite it probably being the most derivative CW teen drama I think I've seen to date. They must have a master template script for these shows where they just swap out character names.

Every character archetype, every plot beat, situation, theme is present, identical to all the ones that have come before. It's cheesy, it's cringey, it's predictable. Everyone is impossibly beautiful. There's already a love triangle! Or possibly even a love square, not sure yet. But it's also like wrapping myself in a warm, familiar blanket and remembering the simpler beforetimes.

My initial impressions were correct in that the show it reminds me of the most so far is, six episodes in at least, the OC. And, like that show, I'll probably binge until I've had my fill of the formula, except this time I expect that to happen sooner since I can't see it changing things up in a big way. Taking risks isn't generally what these shows do.

My eyes roll at least three times per episode, but there are times in life when this is exactly the type of show I need, and this is one of those times.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing about Dexter is it was pulpy trash. It was entertaining trash but it was in that "prestige tv" period where the cable networks were upping the game for v shows so people kind of elevated Dexter to this level where it was supposedly "prestige" with the HBO shows and stuff like Mad Men or the Shield. I think the showrunners themselves became convinced of it too. But it wasn't. It was just fun pulpy trash being done at a higher quality than network tv.

At least until it wasn't. I did a rewatch some time ago and bailed mid S3. I think it mostly peaks in S2 and is downhill from there, but it still stays fairly entertaining until after S4. But really S2 is a perfectly good place to just cut and run. You've got most of the fun you're ever gonna get from it and the longer it goes the stupider it will get.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell has completely hit the spot for my sophomoric comedy needs. I love it.

The last season was not very good, but the foot cult episode might have been the best thing they've ever done. The Torture Con one was good, too.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Gangs of London is extremely the poo poo

I decided to check out the first episode after seeing the trailer and ended up marathoning the entire series in a day. The cinematography and choreography were fantastic.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching through a Korean Drama called Hospital Playlist episode 3 and one of the characters had a patient of his go braindead after having successfully completed a transplant on him discharging him on a holiday, dedicated to children. He also then finds out that his wife visiting him, because she works in another country, wants to divorce him, went to a restaurant with another man and that they caused him son to have a peanut allergy. He then has to cut up this same man so that his organs can be used to help others.

FUUUCK...what a day. Also pretty standard for a korean drama, kinda.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

loving gave up on All American. Soundtrack got too insipid and it started annoying me more and more with how predictable it was. Been watching Outer Banks instead and that gave me the comfy blanket feeling while actually being a decent fun tv show as well. Someone before said The Goonies and I can definitely see the comparison.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just wrapped up Witcher

I am so glad I gave this show a chance. Absolutely loved it

Next up

Penny Dreadful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Buckle in. I'm surprised there was any set left with Eva Green chewing the scenery like a carpenter ant. I'd say it's more of a "fun" show than a really good one. Still, I like pulpy horror stuff and Eva Green is amazing in it.