Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I wouldn't mind a more robust 'choose your own difficulty' NG+ menu but I don't mind what we have now, since it promotes getting all the achievements and such faster. And some skills can only be gotten by certain characters anyway (Bruiser and Hero King's skill didn't show up for me on Kevin but there they were on Duran.)

There's definitely an emphasis on aiding completionism as it stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spacebump posted:

After playing this game for about 5 hours, I've concluded they really need to build off this for either a remake of Legend of Mana or Chrono Trigger. The combat is a lot of fun and both those games would work with this art style.

Yeah I think I would actually prefer a Legend of Mana remake over CT - CT base game is pretty solid overall, where you could fix a lot of LoM's glaring flaws. Like I ADORE Legend of Mana, but its major flaws are the creation systems being completely incomprehensible, the dungeon design being impossible to navigate and extremely repetitive, and the translation needing some improvements. Going full 3D could definitely take care of the dungeon issue, and giving some love to the translation and creation systems seem like they would come naturally to a remake.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is it possible to get 6 ??? seeds without fighting a Benevodon or purposely going through the dungeons to get the guaranteed one from the chest?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

gandlethorpe posted:

Is it possible to get 6 ??? seeds without fighting a Benevodon or purposely going through the dungeons to get the guaranteed one from the chest?

In my experience some enemies in the benevodons dungeons do drop them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The same kind of enemies who dropped them in the original still drop them in the remake. If you're doing the H/R plotline there are demons in their unique dungeon which drop them and are like five steps away from a save point.=

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Do they do it from the start? In the OG, they only started after a certain number were defeated

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

gandlethorpe posted:

The bees in the Mispolm area drop them at a very low rate, probably some other enemies in the Benevedon dungeons. The drop rate is low enough that it would be easier to just go through all the dungeons and go for the guaranteed chest seeds while running away from everything, in my last run I farmed the same area with a group of four bees from level 34 to 38 and didn't get a single seed.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

How likely is this kind of low-mid budget jrpg to get balance changes or extra features in patches post-release? It would be great if we could choose what carries over into new game plus or got (a couple) higher difficulty modes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't bet on it but it's certainly possible.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I would be surprised if they added any content in a patch, but they might tighten up the performance a little bit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Do they do it from the start? In the OG, they only started after a certain number were defeated

I had three after beating my first benevodon, I’m sure I got those two from enemies

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stranger things have happened, but not often. Unless there's a version with added features for a new system (like with FF12 Zodiac, they just added the Switch's features to PC/PS4) or some news from the devs, I wouldn't count on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This is a more extensive game so it's probably not an apt comparison, but the only thing they patched in SoM was bugfixes and minor helpful ui stuff.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Stranger things have happened, but not often.

I mean, I still can’t get over that not only did we get a translation of lost JRPG SD3, but a full remake. And it’s good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope Square keeps just remaking stuff forever. I'd kill for a remade Bushido Blade or SaGa Frontier or Front Mission with the same love and care that went into this and the FF7 remake.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can you respec and reclass in this release? I'm going to assume no.

So far I just got gnome and I prefer this remake over the original because the combat is more enjoyable, but man I do miss the sprite work. Square did well here all around.

edit: Oh, and what are the costumes you get? There wasn't any bonus DLC a la SoM, so do you just unlock new outfits and stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sigher posted:

Can you respec and reclass in this release? I'm going to assume no.

So far I just got gnome and I prefer this remake over the original because the combat is more enjoyable, but man I do miss the sprite work. Square did well here all around.

Yes, you can.

Respec at black market, Reclassing comes a bit later.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh gently caress yeah, I'm glad I asked, now I don't have to worry about loving my build and class picks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sigher posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, I'm glad I asked, now I don't have to worry about loving my build and class picks.

Ehhh sorta. Reclassing is still a bit of a pain so it's not exactly trivial. But it IS possible.

Respeccing training points though is completely trivial.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sigher posted:

You still want to consider your picks because it's a bit of a pain to reclass but respeccing the class you chose is easy peasy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The the only outfits you get are whatever your previous classes wore.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Postgame:

Anise's Stockade is a pretty cool dungeon, I like the whole Cleft of Dimensions thing it has going on. It's a bit of a slog though, especially since my party's HP/MP regeneration has become completely absurd so all the waves upon waves of enemy battles are more or less on autopilot.

Also it's usually playing some sort of boss music through each very long subsection so the music does start to grate after a while. The Zehnoa battle theme is probably my favorite song in the game but I was really ready to stop listening to it after fifteen minutes of slogging through Void Altena.

Well at least I finally found some Goddess Toenails or whatever the reclass items are called.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Honestly I was really worried about that area. I was fully expecting it to just be a single boss fight with no dungeon content making the entire point of the class 4 change moot, cause it seemed like something this game would do. I was so pleased to find out that I was wrong that I didn't care about how big the dungeon was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I laughed when I got my first Goddess Scale, I was expecting something rather different.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

YggiDee posted:

The the only outfits you get are whatever your previous classes wore.

Gotcha, well, still cool you can do it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it worth grinding gold seeds before I fight the final (main story) boss? My characters are all lv 65 I figure it probably won’t be that hard but I also like having nice equipment.

I am aware that Rainbow seeds can give you fourth class equipment so maybe I will just wait until the postgame?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Spacebump posted:

After playing this game for about 5 hours, I've concluded they really need to build off this for either a remake of Legend of Mana or Chrono Trigger. The combat is a lot of fun and both those games would work with this art style.

Sign me on board for the video game industry to stop making new games and go the nostalgia remake bait route the movie industry has gone. I'd rather get a remake of Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana, Breath of Fire III/IV or Legend of Dragoon than more Kingdom Hearts or FFs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lezard_valeth posted:

Legend of Dragoon

I would literally shank someone for a Trials of Mana-caliber remake of Legend of Dragoon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Trials of mana had a rock solid foundation (the class change mechanic, the narrative changing depending on the characters, the characters being a lot of fun) that could be updated to modern standards and even then the game play is kinda iffy (you become an unstoppable murder machine after class changing to the third tier)
Legend of dragoon is poopy garbage that aged poorly even before it was released and all it had going on was timed hits and kinda nice graphics for the time

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it worth grinding gold seeds before I fight the final (main story) boss? My characters are all lv 65 I figure it probably won’t be that hard but I also like having nice equipment.

I am aware that Rainbow seeds can give you fourth class equipment so maybe I will just wait until the postgame?

Not really. I was around that level when I beat the final boss, and it was completely effortless. Though to be fair, at the time I was also playing as Angela with all her skills set to boost magic damage. The weapons and armor from Pedda are enough to carry you through the endgame quite easily.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wooking fow the ewfin ewdew by fowwowing the fwowaws

Fownd him. He suwe wives in oppuwence

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Dryad's dance is so cute, omg

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol the treasure chests on the ghost ship are for 666 and 444 lucre

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

Dryad's dance is so cute, omg

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game absolutely rules and I wish there was a harder part to it, since it all seems relatively trivial even on the hardest difficulty if you have Angela in your party.

But earlier, especially in Laurent, there was some difficulty. I was really digging it.

Just a step above hard would be nice.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

a step above hard would instantly melt your party members in every fight :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not if you melt them first!

Lucent Beam+! Lucent Beam+! Lucent Beam+!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The first part of Mirage Palace is weird. Like they wanted to make a Capcom boss rush but knew people hate Capcom boss rush, but I wish they would have because the combat system is super fun and would have loved to beat the poo poo out of old bosses with my new class 3 powers

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Wait, excuse me??? (kevin's path ending spoilers) the king of Ferolia actively helped the guys trying to destroy the world all for a secret test of character and we are letting him off the hook so easily??? like this is some goku gives cell a senzu bean level of bad parenting here, not to mention the earlier trauma of making your son believe he killed his pet. AND I didn't even get to kick his rear end????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So on the subject of farming ??? seeds before killing any Benevodons, it looks like Moonchart Tower is the place to go. Silverwolves have a decent drop rate. You can get 4 drops, the 1 chest, and then the easy Woods of Wandara one.

Got 6, then immediately went to Sanctuary and got all the items :smug:

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait, excuse me??? (kevin's path ending spoilers) the king of Ferolia actively helped the guys trying to destroy the world all for a secret test of character and we are letting him off the hook so easily??? like this is some goku gives cell a senzu bean level of bad parenting here, not to mention the earlier trauma of making your son believe he killed his pet. AND I didn't even get to kick his rear end????

Yeah, he's definitely got more splainin to do than he gave. My generous interpretation is that he's generally uninvolved with the whole operation in the first place letting Goremand call the shots. He might know that the dude's powerful enough to do whatever he wants and just goes along with it with minimal effort.