Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This guy is the worst. He made people pay for a Phish show stream then had a massive meltdown like a baby when Phish put a cease and desist on him. He was making thousands of dollars off essentially just streaming Phish shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wow is he annoying.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

every time he tried to feel his way through one of those guitar lines, he'd always instinctively try and resolve it into blooze nonsense and, like, yeah, sure this youtube jagoff is a better guitar player than me, but it's like, gently caress, listen to what you're trying to play because that ain't it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That led me to this one, which feels more real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSH7OxRQL0

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I liked how stoked he got and thought it was kind of a fun video. :shrug:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

I liked how stoked he got and thought it was kind of a fun video. :shrug:

Same

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

That led me to this one, which feels more real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSH7OxRQL0

I am an old who understands nothing now
what the gently caress is any of this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hexwren posted:

every time he tried to feel his way through one of those guitar lines, he'd always instinctively try and resolve it into blooze nonsense and, like, yeah, sure this youtube jagoff is a better guitar player than me, but it's like, gently caress, listen to what you're trying to play because that ain't it

the dude has an insanely trained ear for picking out chords and you're mad he couldn't nail it on his first try, the very first time hearing a song by a band he's also never heard before, from a live performance on youtube uploaded at 480p

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I haven’t watched it nor will i ever because “______ reacts!!” videos are The Worst

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

hexwren posted:

I am an old who understands nothing now
what the gently caress is any of this

this guy pretends to hear songs for the first time and then pretends he's figuring them out by ear

this somehow generates 1,000,000 clicks

also the aforementioned Phish incident was pretty sad

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pwn posted:

I haven’t watched it nor will i ever because “______ reacts!!” videos are The Worst

also this lol, someone explain the appeal to me of watching a guy try to replicate a soundclip

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

also this lol, someone explain the appeal to me of watching a guy try to replicate a soundclip

i think it fosters a sense of :smuggo: i always knew <my favorite band> was very sophisticated music a skilled guitar player would appreciate :smuggo:

also agree that "_______ reacts!!!" are the kind of YouTube choices i associate with my 14-year-old nephew's viewing habits

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I don't know anything about the phish incident but the guy seems generally stoked about ween, enjoys gener's facial expressions and deaner's screaming guitar. He asks for more ween recommendations at the end. It's not cringey or anything. He is a guitar teacher and he is trying to replicate the song as a little challenge, which seems to be what his youtube series is about. Y'all need to relax.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

White Pepper turns 20 this week!

https://www.stereogum.com/2082757/ween-white-pepper-review/franchises/the-anniversary/

Ooof. What if they were going to pull White Pepper front-to-back in Bend on the 4th of July like they did with the 25th anniversary of The Mollusk? :smith:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

They mention White Pepper as the band's "sell out" moment, but I think that happened way back with Chocolate and Cheese. That's really where they went from being two drugged out dudes with a drum machine to being a full polished band. I remember the very first time I listened to C&C the week it came out and being turned off completely by Take Me Away. It was definitely a departure point for the band and sounded too polished and clean for my taste. If I ranked my favorite to least favorite albums, C&C would be right before Cucaracha at the bottom. It has some amazing tracks but overall I think it's one of their weaker releases.

To me it was their first most accessible album.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 1, 2020

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

me your dad posted:

They mention White Pepper as the band's "sell out" moment, but I think that happened way back with Chocolate and Cheese. That's really where they went from being two drugged out dudes with a drum machine to being a full polished band. I remember the very first time I listened to C&C the week it came out and being turned off completely by Take Me Away. It was definitely a departure point for the band and sounded too polished and clean for my taste. If I ranked my favorite to least favorite albums, C&C would be right before Cucaracha at the bottom. It has some amazing tracks but overall I think it's one of their weaker releases.

To me it was their first most accessible album.

this is fascinating to me because i felt almost exactly the opposite! the first couple albums have some fun ideas but they sound like they were recorded on a walkman in the bottom of a trash can so i have a hard time even listening to them. to me c&c (or 12 golden country greats, i guess) is where those neat ideas started to have flesh on the bones and become fully realized, and take me away is one of my favorite of their album openers. i didn't get into them until quebec, though, so maybe experiencing them chronologically makes a difference.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cucaracha is amazing. It's obnoxious as gently caress and it owns. Y'all crazy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beastie posted:

Cucaracha is amazing. It's obnoxious as gently caress and it owns. Y'all crazy.

Agreed

I feel like Ween only gets "polished" in the studio. When I saw them live (and whenever I listen to their live shows) they're generally loose as gently caress and the opposite of polished, not that it's a bad thing if anything I prefer it that way.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

To me an obvious aspect of ween's staying power has been their evolution from their early bedroom recordings to polished studio recordings. If they had stayed lo-fi it would have gotten old and boring very fast and they would have been forgotten as a brief novelty act of the early 90s. I don't want to imagine a ween without C&C, White Pepper, or Quebec. La Cucaracha is good too but you can tell they were struggling which direction to take it.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

let's all endlessly fight about these albums because they sure as hell aren't ever going to write another song or put any effort into this band ever again

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Elephunk posted:

let's all endlessly fight about these albums because they sure as hell aren't ever going to write another song or put any effort into this band ever again

yeah they are still broken up as far as i'm concerned

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The reunion years have given us some fantastic live material but I'll never forgive this period of time for standing in the way of a Freeman pt. 2

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

As long as I can watch Deaner play guitar in any capacity, I'm cool, man.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The reunion years have given us some fantastic live material but I'll never forgive this period of time for standing in the way of a Freeman pt. 2

Freeman, which was essentially White Pepper Pt 2.

If people here haven't listened to Freeman you're missing out on the last great Ween record.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJAdEkLLnA

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Enjoy some new Deaner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNOFeH1Eb4

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm into it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
that guitar tone is so loving ugly, I love it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'd really love Deaner to do some type of pedalboard vid/rig rundown. He always manages the most gnarly loving tones. I love how he uses phasers/flangers especially where a lot of guitarists would just throw in dirt/fuzz/OD.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kvlt! posted:

I'd really love Deaner to do some type of pedalboard vid/rig rundown. He always manages the most gnarly loving tones. I love how he uses phasers/flangers especially where a lot of guitarists would just throw in dirt/fuzz/OD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_EpX1vX30

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Holy poo poo you are the best! Thank you!

EDIT: Is that whole channel Deaner's?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yes

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Happy Weensday everyone, a holiday my friends and I observe on this day every year, where we eat all the cat drugs, listen to Ween for about 30 hours straight and claw at our faces the entire time.

Which is unfortunately not happening for obvious reasons. :smith:

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
been listening to a shitload of ween lately, for no reason in particular other than they rule

deaner is such a loving demon on guitar. im not even really a huge fan of guitar solos, but pretty much every dene wean guitar solo loving rules

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007

BB2K posted:

been listening to a shitload of ween lately, for no reason in particular other than they rule

deaner is such a loving demon on guitar. im not even really a huge fan of guitar solos, but pretty much every dene wean guitar solo loving rules

Hands down one of my favorite Dean solos is on Gabrielle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-zaCGRlnE

Also love this episode of Guitar Moves. Dean is one of those guys whose bullshit totally checks out. The dude plays the way he lives. "I've been playing two guitar solos my entire life, no one's figured it out yet."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fTmTsssA

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

overnightmike posted:

Also love this episode of Guitar Moves. Dean is one of those guys whose bullshit totally checks out. The dude plays the way he lives. "I've been playing two guitar solos my entire life, no one's figured it out yet."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fTmTsssA
As a non-musician, very little of that made any sense to me, but it was delightful. And sweaty.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
yeah that guitar moves video rules

deaner put up a masterclass on how to play freedom of 76, and half the comments are calling out that he got the chord names wrong lol. but i guess hes just a dude with a good, practiced ear who can noodle around and figure things out without knowing theory, which is way more impressive to me than like, studying

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah lol at all the armchair critics who’ve probably never written half as many kick rear end riffs as deaner

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This got posted in the stoner doom thread and I'm getting a lot of brown vibes from some of the guitar work on here. If you're in the mood for some slowed down epic fuzzy guitar riffs you should check it out!

Laserface posted:

Turtle Skulls new album 'Monoliths' is out today, for fee-free-friday on bandcamp. also on streaming.

they describe themselves as 'flower doom' and I agree. bit shoe-gazey with some heavier parts thrown in, fuzzy guitars and writhing synths.

I really like how some of the elements are reused and return at points on the album.

https://turtleskullmusic.bandcamp.com/album/monoliths

"Why do you ask?" is probably my favorite track.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I ordered a Shimmy Disc shirt and got a cool letter and sticker :)

Right at home next to Boognish on the car

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

those are rad!

i had myself a good time revisiting the live in toronto version of poopship destroyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQO1gXB0pOI

Gene works the voice modulator so well and the poo poo creek boys plus dean's sick riffs make this version so drat good