Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah that’s what I meant by if you’re lucky. If you take all 4 5.56 rounds to the head, run is over. All 4 in the torso with an ESAPI? Run...maybe over? 2 in the same limb? Enjoy your splint, run may as well be over.

E: /\ I did not know about the 4 tile night vision thing, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

projectile penetration is wonky on experimental (probably stable too). bullets will go right through reinforced glass, so I wouldn't trust reinforced windshields to protect you. regardless, if you find an outdoor turret and want its ammo, lining up your vehicle, crouching, and ramming it at 40 mph is still probably the safest way to get ahold of it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks again for the info! I'll see what I do when the situation comes up. I've been known to :rolldice: in games when I probably shouldn't

Also I found an atomic coffee maker! Never going to drink coffee as I picked addictive personality but since it has infinite power I can safely use it to boil stuff, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sure, if you trust a nuclear powered tea kettle to boil your drinking water.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's perfectly safe so long as the casing isn't cracked, ok

nevermind the fact that i'm storing it, unsecured, in a vehicle that routinely goes 60 mph.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sure, if you trust a nuclear powered tea kettle to boil your drinking water.
:rolldice:

Coolguye posted:

it's perfectly safe so long as the casing isn't cracked, ok
Yeah it's in perfect condition so no worries then

I'm currently going through all my storage piles in an effort to reduce the visual clutter and I'm kinda sad to find out that a lot of containers aren't actually real containers. Like a ton of things come in little bags, boxes or packs and you can't merge the contents. You can only unload all the containers to have a loose pile of the same item. I know it's a personal problem but having six bags of sugar with 20 units each when one bag can hold like 400 units bothers me

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Playing on stable.

The one turret I saw was specifically a riot turret.
I also snuck past a MiGo (and a bunch of dead college students. It was in the open, so I think im just going to try and ram that too.

I think I'm going to strip down a couple wrecks before packing up and moving on. I need to boost my Mechanics to 4 to strip composite armor off a military truck - definitely planning to cart that off for whenever I can find tools to install it.

I'd like to try ramming the roadblock, but I'm worried about damaging my electric semi. I don't have any way to fix it yet. Maybe drive in reverse to let the trunk take the impact.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I believe vehicle tiles actually transfer collision stress now - ramming something will still inflict most of the crash damage on the tile that actually strikes the obstacle, but adjacent tiles seem to sometimes take partial damage as well. This is bad if one of those tiles contains, say, your gas tank. Fuel leaks are a real pain in the rear end.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: Always ram migos, yell “welcome to earth” as you do it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They should add in a thing where the mi-gos will remember stuff you yell around them so later ones will shout it back at you

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That would be amazing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hate to make such a low quality post but I haven't played CDDA in about three years and suddenly I'm feeling the itch, is there a quick overview anywhere of stuff that's changed? I looked at the latest release log and there's a lot there, but I've obviously missed quite a bit before that as well.

I'm not normally averse to diving in to roguelikes and finding out the proper hard way, but I'm here to get hype for new poo poo and also try not to get caught out by old habits that might now be fatal rather than helpful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Before getting hooked again I took a haitus about that long, off the top of my head since I last played they:

Add a metric fuckload of professions but who cares when unwilling mutant lab escape start is right there
Speaking of labs, there are now research labs which are like regular labs but the top floor is like a campus with multiple floors.
Zone function has been added, so you can mark a spot as unsorted, then mark a place you want your food in, your ammo, etc and you can hit shift + O to organize your junk.
... Or you can get your NPC buddies to do it, who also have a ton of new functions added to them.
Now you can properly packmule them and trade out gear without needing to barter for it.
You can also talk to your NPC friends for a mood bonus
You can use zones to set up blueprints and have an NPC build the thing
You can give books to NPCs to read and gain skills
Refugee center has a bunch of quests
Wanderer spawns isn't so rear end
Sadly mutations are still aaaaaaasssssssss
Bionics requires finding an autodoc to install CBMs
Hunger system is changed to be calories based and food needs time to digest and its really loving weird and you'll be going through 4 MREs a day wondering why your survivor is anorexic
Oh and you need your vitamins. Don't rely on supplements cause that'll give you a disease
Loot has been greatly increased so you should be able to find useful stuff like tools more easily
A bunch of different buildings
Freezer unit for vehicles

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Another big change is by default all clothing you strip off zombies is filthy and will risk a chance of infection if they contact any open wound. You can clean them w/ soap and water.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tin Tim posted:

I know it's a personal problem but having six bags of sugar with 20 units each when one bag can hold like 400 units bothers me

Well the nested containers mod apparently had a (semi?) public test release a week or two ago, so maybe this will change soon.

Honestly I can’t wait for it’s eventual release, it’s gonna be a big change and might shake up gear a bit too since suddenly having shittons of 1-3L pockets isn’t gonna let you cram that bigass piece of loot into your inventory, you’re gonna need a backpack or something big enough to actually stow it in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Appreciate those posts, thanks goons! NPCs :aaa:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just found out there's a difference between the lifting and jacking qualities, which is why the makeshift jack wasn't working out. Also unfortunately means my character wasn't just picking up the side of the truck instead of using a jack.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Rockopolis posted:

Just found out there's a difference between the lifting and jacking qualities, which is why the makeshift jack wasn't working out. Also unfortunately means my character wasn't just picking up the side of the truck instead of using a jack.

Not with that attitude (and lack of bionics)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Military base went from a robot filled suicide machine to a modestly challenging loot castle, It's filled with a shitload of military zombies but the one I found is packed with hundreds of MRE's and drop pouches and Kevlar vests, medicine of all flavors. Garage had enough poo poo to build an APC from scratch twice over.

Still poking around but if I can find an armory this inflated in here I might as well retire this character gently caress.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What's the skinny on toxic dumps? I read that you're sorta guaranteed to find a few good items in there. I do have an ANBC suit and various kinds of rad medicine but I'm not sure if I should mess with such a place

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You're guaranteed a military ID card and that's the real draw. You should be fine with the suit and popping an antirad before if you just go in and out

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Good news: Scouted a town and found a garage with an acetylene torch I knicked that night. 240 charges of acetylene isn't much though.

Better news: across the street was a car showroom with a pristine Electric Car in the glass display area. Also had several pristine motorcycles and scooters on the second floor, as well as a pristine folding bike which I knicked to replace my current folding bike, which was beat to poo poo. They must've had to deal with a lot of idiots leaving their keys in their cars cause they also had a locksmith kit!

The electric car is a nice grab, but I'll probably tear it up eventually for parts for a better vehicle, apparently its already too heavy for its engine according to a warning message. Still I got some jumper cables so I could work on making a portable welding rig on a frame with casters and just connect it to the car for power in the short term.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 30, 2020

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Good news: Scouted a town and found a garage with an acetylene torch I knicked that night.

Better news: across the street was a car showroom with a pristine Electric Car in the glass display area. Also had several prisitne motorcycles and scooters on the second floor, as well as a pristine folding bike which I knicked to replace my current folding bike, which was beat to poo poo. They must've had to deal with a lot of idiots leaving their keys in their cars cause they also had a locksmith kit!

240 charges of acetylene isn't much though.

I heard you like oxyacetylene :v:

Used all of this welding together my composite armour plated mobile base. Only took a whole week of welding.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh poo poo, you can make welding gasses these days? I'm gonna assume that takes some decent chemistry lol.

Thats a big mobile base! Feels almost too big too me, but I'm probably a weirdo. I haven't decided what I'll work into a mobile base, maybe an SUV, or hippie van. Maybe I'll look for a smaller heavy vehicle like a SWAT van or military Humvee or a cube van or something. I dunno.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Welding glasses are actually pretty easy to make these days, for once realism helps more than hurts and they let you duct tape the lenses from 3 pairs of sunglasses to the front of some swim goggles.

I just started a new game because I wanted to try Dark Skies Above (note- don't yet. Good concept, but not enough content to play over a normal game yet), and I ran into a near death spiral because I was playing with fast metabolism. I wasn't paying attention and worked through the night on a craft, which combined with not eating for so long instantly tanked my health to the point I immediately caught the flu. Because the flu causes vomiting, I couldn't keep any food down, which meant I couldn't eat, which I think lowered my health even more. I had the flu for 2 weeks in game. The only way I was able to get out of the death spiral was basically chugging pine needle tea for a week, puking most of it back up. So... yeah, fast metabolism may not be an auto-take for free points anymore.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh poo poo, you can make welding gasses these days? I'm gonna assume that takes some decent chemistry lol.
I'm don't know about that but there are three books that let you make an arc welder at electronics 2. Two other books let you make the battery compartment mod at electronics 3 so that it can use car batteries and after that you basically have infinite welding

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How do you folks with large vehicles maneuver through towns? I acquired a military humvee at a bridge barricade and ended up just ramming the opposing humvee until I had room to drive out. Can you just barrel through small things without it becoming a big deal? Will I get hosed up just running zombies down?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Used to dismantle them to the point that the mass was low enough to push , but that was several hundred PRs ago and I have no idea how now besides shattering all vehicles to their constituent atoms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Large vehicles are tricky. I never go more than 5 wide, I'm trying for 4 wide with my latest.

Putting extra steerable wheels on can make your car bendier and able to snake through.

If you're in an armoured vehicles run down zombies all day every day. Avoid hitting buildings, vehicles or trees at speed.
If neccesary, run into a vehicle at low speed and it will hopefully roll forward on its wheels.

Install a welding rig in your vehicle and use it often to keep things in good shape.

Edit: tow cables exist now. Haven't used them yet but maybe you can tow stuff out of the way?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
What are the essentials for a mobile death mobile aside from composite armor and lots of spikes? Like, appliance wise. What covers the basics or better yet, anything you might need in terms of internals?

I'm thinking crafting wise, I mean, not like "pres butan to go" wise

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
New thing I need to try- tiny death mobile towing a mobile home that I can drop outside town.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There’s vehicle versions of most crafting stations - hot plates, welding stations, forging stations, kilns. I tend to want all the capability I can get my hands on personally, but you can mix and match I guess. In general though I’d say a hot plate for cooking and a welding station for crafting is pretty critical. A forging station is really nice but if you’re not really the type that uses a forge that often, you can just keep your eyes peeled for buildings that are likely to have what you need when the situation arises.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Is there a place that lists all the mods? Is it basically this: https://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Gameplay_Mods ?

I want to disable needing to balance vitamins and thought that was a base game mod but it seems to not be. I am dumb.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Is there a place that lists all the mods? Is it basically this: https://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Gameplay_Mods ?

I want to disable needing to balance vitamins and thought that was a base game mod but it seems to not be. I am dumb.

It was, they finally went through and marked all the "get rid of the dumb changes we made" mods as "obsolete" though FOR NOW they're mostly all still included and you just need to go through to the mod file and set "obsolete: yes" to "obsolete: no." They plan to remove them completely soon though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Holy poo poo that was a really dumb death. I ventured into a military base without realizing I was on extremely low stamina, but the whole reason i was going in was to recover loving wooden javelins.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

reignonyourparade posted:

It was, they finally went through and marked all the "get rid of the dumb changes we made" mods as "obsolete" though FOR NOW they're mostly all still included and you just need to go through to the mod file and set "obsolete: yes" to "obsolete: no." They plan to remove them completely soon though.

Oh, in that case, are there any other 'obsolete' mods in here that people think are worth looking at?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I recommend grabbing this compilation and choosing mods from it:
https://github.com/TheGoatGod/Goats-Mod-Compilation/releases/tag/1.0b

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You know what, I used to think it's stupid that they added a thousand recipes for slightly different types of pasta, but now I kinda enjoy playing wasteland chef.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Still camped out, grinding up mechanics. Forage is getting a bit thin, so I think I will move on when I can strip the armor off the military truck. Also found out the semi has (mostly intact) solar panels, so that's incredibly sweet - I was worried about rationing electricity. I think I'm going to bolt on extra headlights to use a light source for night-time crafting.
Might move on down the road and use practice targets to train up ranged skills.

The first couple times, the skill grind has actually been pretty satisfying, but next time I think I'm just going to crank up the skill pool before I get sick of grinding.

Also, flipping through the vehicle menu, there's apparently a yoke and harness? One of my long term goals is now to build a roach coach, pulled by giant roaches.

Edit: Speaking of nutrition, I haven't noticed any vitamin issues and have mostly been living off veggie sandwiches. Would it have anything to do with my character going from morbidly obese to overweight?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Edit: Speaking of nutrition, I haven't noticed any vitamin issues and have mostly been living off veggie sandwiches. Would it have anything to do with my character going from morbidly obese to overweight?
I'm really not sure how the system works but when my guy got the vitamin-a deficit it came after like a week of eating pemmican as the main course. And since the cooking system is all kinds of weird when it comes to the transfer of vitamins from ingredients to cooked products the batch of pemmican I made had zero amounts of vitamin-a. Since the recovery I tried to pay attention to having all the vitamins covered at least to some degree and also pop a vitamin pill in the morning. Haven't hand any issue since then :shrug:

I'm currently in the process of clearing out a medium town and it's rather weird how many random animals are running around inside of house and such. Like I bust my way into a fully sealed house and when I pop into the small bedroom three baby chicks and a goose hang out in there. Things along this line have happened enough times for me to take notice. I can understand the random animals in the streets but inside of closed houses it's a bit ridiculous