Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Musharraf posted:

Sam, do you know why they call me Die-Hardman? It's because I die hard...

Tbf the real reason is even dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Musharraf posted:

What an interesting premise that shits itself by the end. Some real JRPG bullshit masquerading as art.

This is the way the world ends. Not with an explosion, but a wet fart actually.

I am going through the ending sequence as I type this. This ending sucks, and this game is bad. It had so many interesting possibilities, but the actual game is just an incomprehensible time-wasting simulator. Oh, well. Now I know to skip his next one.

Seriously, this ending is a crime against the player.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You are incorrect, but I respect your right to be incorrect. :hai:

edit: But really, I'd be interested to hear what makes you say that. I agree that Death Stranding isn't afraid to occasionally waste the player's time (there's one section at the end of the game in particular I can think of) but I think it generally serves a purpose when it happens, be it for pacing reasons or because they want the player to feel like Sam feels in such a situation. They hardly ever have you resort to just busywork without a purpose in my opinion.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 25, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The fakeout ending is super boring but the actual ending of the game is MGS4 level poo poo and I loved it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is time for self-advertisement as promised. My let's play thread is live! Here's the first video and the supplemental to go with it, I put a whole lot of effort into this thing. Please enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktv6fuzW1js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WO7WqdK_mw

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The nonsense bullshit is like half of why the game is good. One of my favorites of this gen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The ending is great but people should be warned ahead of time to set aside three hours to get it all in one go

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

WaltherFeng posted:

The fakeout ending is super boring but the actual ending of the game is MGS4 level poo poo and I loved it.
MGS4 is brilliant and tied with MGS2 as my favorite Kojima game. I'm not afraid to say I shed a tear when Otakon was like "Snake had a hard life..."

The ending of Death Stranding, on the other hand, destroyed whatever emotional investment I had, and I was just asking "ok, and why should I give a poo poo about any of this?" despite the game being forty hours long. Okay, so the Extinction Entity (EE) is there to kill everyone for some reason, but it learned to appreciate the human spirit by seeing how good Sam is at delivering packages? The power of friendship and connections! JRPG bullshit, like I said.

Or maybe I missed another secret fakeout ending on top of the first one. Or a sequel will recontextualize things in a better way. I hope so (although I'd prefer a new original game, or a Policenauts remake or something). There's still a lot to like about Death Stranding. The casting was great, especially Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen. The Nicolas Winding Refn guest appearance was a bit of a wtf choice, but I enjoyed it since I'm a fan of his movies, and I liked his weird dorky thumb-ups. The gameplay was good too and played into the theme (although I normally have zero interest in survival type games, and I turned down the difficulty to very easy in chapter 8, because I just wanted to get to the end by that point).

Musharraf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 25, 2020

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The ending is great but people should be warned ahead of time to set aside three hours to get it all in one go

i thought they put hideo kojimas name on the box, what more of a warning do you need

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Musharraf posted:

MGS4 is brilliant and tied with MGS2 as my favorite Kojima game. I'm not afraid to say I shed a tear when Otakon was like "Snake had a hard life..."

The ending of Death Stranding, on the other hand, destroyed whatever emotional investment I had, and I was just asking "ok, and why should I give a poo poo about any of this?" despite the game being forty hours long. Okay, so the Extinction Entity (EE) is there to kill everyone for some reason, but it learned to appreciate the human spirit by seeing how good Sam is at delivering packages? The power of friendship and connections! JRPG bullshit, like I said.

Or maybe I missed another secret fakeout ending on top of the first one. Or a sequel will recontextualize things in a better way. I hope so (although I'd prefer a new original game, or a Policenauts remake or something). There's still a lot to like about Death Stranding. The casting was great, especially Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen. The Nicolas Winding Refn guest appearance was a bit of a wtf choice, but I enjoyed it since I'm a fan of his movies, and I liked his weird dorky thumb-ups. The gameplay was good too and played into the theme (although I normally have zero interest in survival type games, and I turned down the difficulty to very easy in chapter 8, because I just wanted to get to the end by that point).

There's a whole sequence that explains where Sam comes from, who is Cliff exactly and why Bridget is a piece of poo poo and it's super MGS.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I am going through the ending sequence as I type this. This ending sucks, and this game is bad. It had so many interesting possibilities, but the actual game is just an incomprehensible time-wasting simulator. Oh, well. Now I know to skip his next one.

Seriously, this ending is a crime against the player.

Hmmm actually it was good

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

One thing I liked about Death Stranding immediately is that you the controls feel very similar to MGSV except there's a lot more going with the terrain and weight stuff. It feels very good to move about and all the weight that hinders your movement feels natural.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cjacobs i want you to know that when i saw your video title for your first death stranding lp video i started singing the title to Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm.

once there was this guy who got into an accident it was a big explosion

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Great now it's stuck in my head, what have you done.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kojima managed to make one of the most mundane jobs imaginable an exciting 50+ game with memorable characters
It is also beautiful

Therefore I declare this game to be art and that if you dislike it you are a philistine

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you are given the nuke to deliver to South Knot are you able to go directly to the tar lake and throw it in without stopping at the distro centre to meet Fragile?

Also, the game turns into a WW1 shooter out of nowhere? Oh, Kojima.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

When you are given the nuke to deliver to South Knot are you able to go directly to the tar lake and throw it in without stopping at the distro centre to meet Fragile?

Yup, you get slightly different dialogue for doing it too. Here's the alternate dialogue (sorry I was talking over a little of it).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 27, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lobok posted:

Also, the game turns into a WW1 shooter out of nowhere? Oh, Kojima.

"Give me back my BB" will be seared into your head before it's all said and done

It's still worth it

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I absolutely loved this game but I also felt like it didn't quite stick the landing, the "what" of everything made sense but a lot of the how and why just feels like it's supposed to be taken on faith. When Die-Hardman was having his little breakdown thing in the hallway at the end I just didn't give even the slightest poo poo about what was happening because we knew pretty much nothing about him, and the stuff we did know wasn't even really related that much to Sam. I dunno, it just didn't feel completely satisfying as an ending.

At least the BB and Cliff stuff wrapped up nicely, even if the shooty shoot bits weren't very fun.

The crossing the tar belt set piece was super cool. They could make a good tv series or something out of this world that's been created.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

"Give me back my BB" will be seared into your head before it's all said and done

It's still worth it

Speaking of BB, is it a speed freak / adrenaline junkie? I get likes most reliably and frequently when I'm going top speed on a trike or doing double jumps or on a zip line.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Speaking of BB, is it a speed freak / adrenaline junkie? I get likes most reliably and frequently when I'm going top speed on a trike or doing double jumps or on a zip line.

BB likes to go fast. You can also get likes by running on foot if you get going fast enough.

night slime
May 14, 2014
BB likes the long jump wth the speed skeleton a lot as well.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

BB's stress levels increasing while you kill people feels bad. It feels more natural than the game outright saying "You are a horrible person, by the way here's a new gun"

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

BB's stress levels increasing while you kill people feels bad. It feels more natural than the game outright saying "You are a horrible person, by the way here's a new gun"

BB isn't stressed because you're killing people, he's stressed because the gun is loud and you're firing it right next to him.

Using a silenced weapon doesn't cause BB any stress iirc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, that first hike up the mountain sure is something. Pretty disappointed I couldn't hook the Mountain Knot facility up to the network so I could start setting up some ziplines back down but on the way I picked up some lost cargo for the Robotocist. Hooked her up and then built some zip lines to the Weather Station at least. Now to connect the doctor hopefully. Not sure if I want to connect them first and circumvent Mountain Knot or go get a certain someone and bring them. I assume that's going to trigger a chapter end story event.

Also, I feel like it was a missed opportunity that I didn't bring any floating carriers with me. Probably could have done some slick hoverboarding down a few slopes.

night slime
May 14, 2014

DelphiAegis posted:

BB isn't stressed because you're killing people, he's stressed because the gun is loud and you're firing it right next to him.

Using a silenced weapon doesn't cause BB any stress iirc.

No, killing someone definitely makes the kid cry. I've fired the guns in the air plenty of times and nothing happened.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah i am also like 99% certain BB doesn't care about you shooting BTs either

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
When you guys say "killing," do you mean actually killing? I have like 110 hours in this game, and I've never killed any human beings. When I got my first lethal gun, someone (Die-Hardman?) was like, "Don't you dare kill anyone," so I didn't. I have never noticed BB giving the least bit of a drat while I'm bola-ing MULEs like crazy, and kicking their heads to knock them out.

In my opinion, the bola gun is literally the only gun in the entire game worth using, except for a couple of BT-specific bits.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i find that both the assault rifle and shotgun are way better for clearing out terrorist camps, just need the non-lethal varieties. also the lethal guns are far and away the best at killing BTs. after a certain point i just stopped ever bringing the bolas with me, although earlier in the game its super powerful.

actually the main reason i stopped using the bolas is that if it's not a terrorist camp it's faster and more fun to just whip everyones rear end and knock them out with containers of resin. grabbing a package out of mid air and whipping it at another mule to knock them out is seriously fun, i think a lot of people missed out on not trying out the melee combat more. initially i found it annoying and the bolas easier and better until i discovered that the shoulder charge broke guard. that opens up all the melee combat imo.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

When you guys say "killing," do you mean actually killing? I have like 110 hours in this game, and I've never killed any human beings. When I got my first lethal gun, someone (Die-Hardman?) was like, "Don't you dare kill anyone," so I didn't. I have never noticed BB giving the least bit of a drat while I'm bola-ing MULEs like crazy, and kicking their heads to knock them out.

In my opinion, the bola gun is literally the only gun in the entire game worth using, except for a couple of BT-specific bits.

You can kill other humans. It's very difficult, but it's possible. Once you have a corpse it must be disposed off so you're just making work for yourself.

For story reasons, killing is very much frowned upon. There aren't many of us left and every dead person makes a new BT. Take a look at the MULE's' outfits, they have floaties on their arms in case they get knocked out and end up in the water. They might be bat-poo poo but no one wants BTs. Same thing with the automatic rain hoods, pass out without cover and you'll die. The terrorists don't care at all, which is why they are so scary.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love watching these serious cutscenes with Norman Reedus in a baseball cap and lime green sunglasses.

Also, kudos to me, I used the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse for figuring out if two ziplines were close enough to each other to connect. Haven't touched that equation in many years!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Lobok posted:

Love watching these serious cutscenes with Norman Reedus in a baseball cap and lime green sunglasses.

Also, kudos to me, I used the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse for figuring out if two ziplines were close enough to each other to connect. Haven't touched that equation in many years!

I didn't math it out but planning zipline routes has led to a surprising amount of surveying and exploring. It's impressive how far the game will let you climb up stuff, there's surprisingly few areas that block you from going crazy with ladders. I loving love how ladders and rope lines open up all of your vertical surfaces, I can't think of any other game that handles vertical exploration so well. It gives you a lot of freedom but isn't just completely silly and boring like Assassin's Creed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah and with your rangefinder you know what you're committing to with each piece of equipment you put down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At first I was a bit annoyed that the map doesn't show you the distance from Sam to whatever object you are hovering over, especially while building zip lines... And then I realized I could just use the rangefinder on the binoculars and look at the spot for the next one with my own eyes to see how far away it was and I was like :aaa:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lobok posted:

Wandering the trenches of the Western Front in a baseball cap, sunglasses at night, glowing future poo poo all over me, a tower of boxes on my back, a baby in a jar, all while chugging Monster Energy Drink.

GOTY 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

At first I was a bit annoyed that the map doesn't show you the distance from Sam to whatever object you are hovering over, especially while building zip lines... And then I realized I could just use the rangefinder on the binoculars and look at the spot for the next one with my own eyes to see how far away it was and I was like :aaa:

That is what the map shows. My issue was that you can't plot the distance between two points that aren't Sam.

skooma512 posted:

Wandering the trenches of the Western Front in a baseball cap, sunglasses at night, glowing future poo poo all over me, a tower of boxes on my back, a baby in a jar, all while chugging Monster Energy Drink.

GOTY 2019

Love that one of the upgrades you get from the Doctor - a doctor - is the Monster Energy Drink canteen.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Lobok posted:

Love that one of the upgrades you get from the Doctor - a doctor - is the Monster Energy Drink canteen.

It has electrolytes.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Aphelion Necrology posted:

It has electrolytes.

Monster's got what porters crave!

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think a doctor living in Death Stranding probably caved a litle bit on the healthy and fit living thing and just went along with the times. Guy wants to drink monster to save humanity why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it were some made up drink it wouldn't be as weird.