Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So to get the 2nd Elemental materia I need to do all the quests in Chapter 14 right? Ugh. I missed it the first time around so now I have to do it again through Chapter select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If you do it on Hard Mode at least you get a bunch of manuscripts?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that’s true. Maybe I’ll just wait until Chapter 14 on Hard mode. If I feel I need a 2nd Elemental materia during the playthrough then I’ll go do them quickly on Normal or something.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

RatHat posted:

Since you’re on Hard I assume spoilers are allowed?

Indeed.

Going to start with overall impressions, get into some highlights and downsides, then go into spoiler discussion about the ending stuff, and probably cap it out with ideas for the future.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I'm trying to get all the dresses for the trophy and I THINK I understand everything.

So first time around I got Tifa's sporty dress, Aerith's best dress for doing all the quests in Chapter 8, and Cloud's white dress for doing the Madam M questline. So for getting the other dresses I'll do 2 runs:

- First one I'll do all of the quests in Chapter 3 and tell Tifa I want her dress to be "exotic", then finish chapter 3. Then I'll jump to chapter 8 and do all but one quest for Aerith's 2nd best dress. Then do the Chocobo Sam questline in Chapter 9 for Cloud's black and blue dress.
- Second run I'll no quests in Chapter 3, 8, and 9, and I should get Tifa's mature dress, Aerith's worst dress, and Cloud's black dress.

This is all correct right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RatHat posted:

So I'm trying to get all the dresses for the trophy and I THINK I understand everything.

So first time around I got Tifa's sporty dress, Aerith's best dress for doing all the quests in Chapter 8, and Cloud's white dress for doing the Madam M questline. So for getting the other dresses I'll do 2 runs:

- First one I'll do all of the quests in Chapter 3 and tell Tifa I want her dress to be "exotic", then finish chapter 3. Then I'll jump to chapter 8 and do all but one quest for Aerith's 2nd best dress. Then do the Chocobo Sam questline in Chapter 9 for Cloud's black and blue dress.
- Second run I'll no quests in Chapter 3, 8, and 9, and I should get Tifa's mature dress, Aerith's worst dress, and Cloud's black dress.

You only need to do half of chapter 8's sidequests to get Aerith's 2nd best dress to save you some time, but yes, you're on point

night slime
May 14, 2014

RatHat posted:

FRom IGN:

These are the side quests needed to unlock Aerith's dresses:
Light pink dress: 0-2 chapter 8 side quests
Pink halter dress: 3-4 chapter 8 side quests
Red gown: 5 (or all) chapter 8 side quests

Dunno what "all" means there but I guess maybe there's six side quests, don't really know.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t know you needed to do some (or all?) the side quests in chapters 3 and 9 on hard to get all of the manuscripts. Kinda ruins the plan I had for getting the nine dresses and all the manuscripts, which was to get the second set (Tifa’s exotic, Aerith’s second-best and Cloud’s Chocobo Sam quest one) on normal and then playing through again on hard to get the third ones. But I guess you have to play ch 9 on hard twice to get all the manuscripts... I understand why people hate that trophy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Geez, has anyone gotten the Biker boy trophy on Normal or Hard? Apparently you need 80%+ health at the end(and no retries) to get it. I thought I played near perfect on Normal but with all the chip damage through block I was still at ~60%.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

RatHat posted:

I'm in the exact same boat as you- is there any way to know which quests in Chapter 8 give manuscripts, so I can focus on those?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm in the exact same boat as you- is there any way to know which quests in Chapter 8 give manuscripts, so I can focus on those?

all of them except the box breaking minigame. you might also just be able to kill the monsters and not finish the quest since the monsters are what actually give the manuscripts but i didnt try that

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

to be clear the moogle kid quest doesnt give you a manuscript but theres no way around clearing it to get the graveyard key which is necessary for another quest

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

sharrrk posted:

all of them except the box breaking minigame. you might also just be able to kill the monsters and not finish the quest since the monsters are what actually give the manuscripts but i didnt try that

This is how I did it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I saw a very exciting house.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It is a bit feisty.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The interior is to die for.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

RatHat posted:

Geez, has anyone gotten the Biker boy trophy on Normal or Hard? Apparently you need 80%+ health at the end(and no retries) to get it. I thought I played near perfect on Normal but with all the chip damage through block I was still at ~60%.

I did it on normal (on a replay, not first time :v:), didn't take very much damage at all until Roche showed up. Normal bike grunts are easy enough to kill before they can do much of anything, and the ones that drop grenades are super easy to avoid. I remember getting hit a lot trying to go ham on the drones, so don't do that. Hit 'em with your ranged attack when available, if you see one locked onto you just move to the side to avoid the shots, and when you get close enough to melee one they pretty much always react with the emp attack so just bait it out then kick their rear end. A lot of Roche's stuff is avoidable, but you'll still want to keep your guard up while trying to dodge unless you specifically need to brake or speed up. Thunder seems to me to be the hardest thing to completely avoid, but I still managed to pull it out guarding quite a few of them. Your windows for damage are going to be whenever you have a ranged attack charged, when he comes in to either melee you or the other bike (if it's you, trading blows is not ideal; use the spin attack if you have it or hit-and-run), or when he tries to pin you against a wall and follow with a heavy attack. If he does go for the pin, hit the brakes and pull up on the other side while he's locked into the attack to get a couple hits in. Do your best to take as little damage as possible before Roche then play safe when he does show up and you should be good.

I'm not gonna claim it's impossible on hard but when I tried it the other bike went down and then I died during the boss. I thought I had a better idea of what to expect but that poo poo was brutal, and Wedge's bike takes so much damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Has anyone figured out if the mystery drink before the tournament does anything? Is it just a relationship point with Aerith or something?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RatHat posted:

Has anyone figured out if the mystery drink before the tournament does anything? Is it just a relationship point with Aerith or something?

Whether or not you drank it will be the only thing that matters in the save transfers. This will be the deciding factor on whether or not Aerith dies this time around.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You can get Biker Boy on Classic and the trophy will still pop

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The full ultimania interview with Nomura, Kitase and Nojima has been finished, linked here

https://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/616804865416527872

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So in The Party Never Sleeps quest in Chapter 9 you need to use Assess to get something from a vending machine and supposedly your success depends on how many enemies you’ve scanned? Anyone know how it works if you’ve never used Assess?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RatHat posted:

So in The Party Never Sleeps quest in Chapter 9 you need to use Assess to get something from a vending machine and supposedly your success depends on how many enemies you’ve scanned? Anyone know how it works if you’ve never used Assess?

You don't get any of the bonus items, which means you don't get an extra reward at the end of the quest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh man, I just realized that I never got that Chocobo Chick materia from pre-ordering the game? I definitely downloaded the DLC item

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh man, I just realized that I never got that Chocobo Chick materia from pre-ordering the game? I definitely downloaded the DLC item

yeah i got the cactuar materia from the deluxe edition but didn't figure out how to activate it until i was literally at the menu screen right after finishing the game. there's a 'dlc' menu option and you essentially have to go in there and click it.

whoops.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I didn’t know you needed to do some (or all?) the side quests in chapters 3 and 9 on hard to get all of the manuscripts. Kinda ruins the plan I had for getting the nine dresses and all the manuscripts, which was to get the second set (Tifa’s exotic, Aerith’s second-best and Cloud’s Chocobo Sam quest one) on normal and then playing through again on hard to get the third ones. But I guess you have to play ch 9 on hard twice to get all the manuscripts... I understand why people hate that trophy.

I actually tried to get Aeriths middle dress while also doing hard mode for manuscripts. You can get the manuscripts from chapter 8 hard mode sidequests without actually finishing the quest. You do need to complete a few quests to unlock later ones but its doable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When you're in the game menu, go to System>DLC to get all your stuff.

And yeah, count me as part of Team Didn't Figure That Out Until Beating The Game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vanrushal posted:

I did it on normal (on a replay, not first time :v:), [spoiler]
I'm not gonna claim it's impossible on hard but when I tried it the other bike went down and then I died during the boss. I thought I had a better idea of what to expect but that poo poo was brutal, and Wedge's bike takes so much damage.

Hard does seem to give you more leeway. I ran it once just to see it, and I got the middle "you passed but barely" result when I ended at like 40% HP which would have been a fail on Normal or Easy.

NGL I picked up that trophy on Easy because I got sick of trying to do it on Normal. The only time I have had to lower the difficulty. :negative:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I unashamedly went to easy to kick Bahamut in the teeth because gently caress that.

I can always do the vr mission again later. (I won't).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dress-mechanics question:

I complete all of chapter 3 and pick the sporty dress.
I go back to re-complete chapter 2 because I realise I forgot to Assess the Huntsman at the end.

Chapter 2 is done, chapter 3 re-loads the start.

Is my chapter 3 dress choice still locked in and I can skip back ahead to chapter 4?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Dreylad posted:

I need to try out Tifa with feather gloves, Refocus, and the Transference Module. Seems like it'd be hilarious.

I can confirm that this is a really great way to jack up the stagger damage bonus through the roof

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Staggering an enemy and then watching everything disappear behind Tifa’s damage numbers is really satisfying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tifa is just absurdly fun to play. They really really sold the idea that she will punch you twenty times in the nuts before you can even react.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

She's also the only character where dodge rolling is totally viable, because hers is fast enough to go around most kinds of long range beams. Like off the top of my head, no one else can reasonably dodge Cutter's wind blades once he gets going. Tifa can.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

ImpAtom posted:

Tifa is just absurdly fun to play. They really really sold the idea that she will punch you twenty times in the nuts before you can even react.

this is partially the reason this battle system didn't gel with me. people say the reason the non controlled characters don't generate ATB quickly is so you switch often. but i don't wanna switch. i wanna play tifa.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Woofer posted:

Staggering an enemy and then watching everything disappear behind Tifa’s damage numbers is really satisfying.

You tell no lie here. Having Tifa go to town on a staggered enemy is like the Monsoon coming down on Sugar Mountain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adus posted:

this is partially the reason this battle system didn't gel with me. people say the reason the non controlled characters don't generate ATB quickly is so you switch often. but i don't wanna switch. i wanna play tifa.

I suppose what worked for me is that I found each character fun to play. Tifa was the most fun but even Aerith (who I think is the weakest of the lot) still lets me doublecast fireblasts followed by a giant death laser.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally beat the game, and I hear there's some disagreement on the ending, so apologies if I'm treading old ground here: I have no idea what they were going for with the endgame. They need the finale to feel like it matters, so they go completely overboard in teasing future events with the ghosts, but they can't elaborate on any of it without ruining the entire story, so they don't. And I guess the ghosts are largely done with as a plot device, since we learn what their deal is through the power of plot convenience, plus they beat the Arbiter anyway, unless there's an even bigger ghost to beat next time, which would be pretty awful. And the changes in the story either don't make any real difference to anything, or are just straight-up bizarre. You get to save Wedge, but then the ghosts kill him anyway after he does absolutely nothing of note, but then Biggs survives anyway, meaning either a) the ghosts are still a force to be reckoned with and should have made sure he was dead if they decided that Wedge was important enough to make dead or b) they aren't, in which case see all of my griping about their presence in the story in the first place. I mean... why? Why any of this?

As for Sephiroth, we're still told he's a threat by the time they leave Midgar, but instead of the original's solution of Cloud saying "this is really important, but I can't explain it right now, let's just get out of here", the finale is just this orgy of loud, meaningless nonsense, absolutely desperate to give you a big ending that ties into the wider story without explaining a single thing because they literally can't, and I have no idea how anyone who didn't play the original is meant to make any sense of it whatsoever.

Hell of a game overall, and I'm still extremely psyched for the next part, but I could barely have bounced harder off the finale if I tried. They tried for something, and I didn't think they hit it at all, but it was very pretty I guess.

e: I just remembered that there's a spoiler thread, so I can take this there instead if needs be.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 30, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

quote:

Aerith (who I think is the weakest of the lot)

cast charged tempest more :shopkeeper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Finally beat the game, and I hear there's some disagreement on the ending, so apologies if I'm treading old ground here: I have no idea what they were going for with the endgame. They need the finale to feel like it matters, so they go completely overboard in teasing future events with the ghosts, but they can't elaborate on any of it without ruining the entire story, so they don't. And I guess the ghosts are largely done with as a plot device, since we learn what their deal is through the power of plot convenience, plus they beat the Arbiter anyway, unless there's an even bigger ghost to beat next time, which would be pretty awful. And the changes in the story either don't make any real difference to anything, or are just straight-up bizarre. You get to save Wedge, but then the ghosts kill him anyway after he does absolutely nothing of note, o who the hell cares if he lives or dies, but then Biggs survives anyway, meaning either a) the ghosts are still a force to be reckoned with and should have made sure he was dead if if they decided that Wedge was so loving important or b) they aren't, in which case see all of my griping about their presence in the story in the first place. I mean... why? Why any of this?

As for Sephiroth, we're still told he's a threat by the time they leave Midgar, but instead of the original's solution of Cloud saying "this is really important, but I can't explain it right now, let's just get out of here", the finale is just this orgy of loud, meaningless nonsense, absolutely desperate to give you a big ending that ties into the wider story without explaining a single thing because they literally can't, and I have no idea how anyone who didn't play the original is meant to make any sense of it whatsoever.

Hell of a game overall, and I'm still extremely psyched for the next part, but I could barely have bounced harder off the finale if I tried. They tried for something, and I didn't think they hit it at all, but it was very pretty I guess.

e: I just remembered that there's a spoiler thread, so I can take this there instead if needs be.

Long story short: The ending's point is "We are no longer protected by being a remake, so characters who previously lived are not assured to and characters who died (Aerith) are also not assured to." The entire premise of the ghosts is that they are making sure FF7's plot happens exactly like it did in the original with no deviations. With them destroyed things may go differently. It's basically like how the Star Trek reboot made an explanation for why everything was different via time travel.