Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Given the few complaints so far have been largely "is actually a fourth Streets of Rage game", I think I'll happily risk the punt on this. I mean, oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

IGN gonna IGN. I'll listen to what the real reviewers say.

As someone who has never owned an XBox, I had no idea that PC Gamepass was a thing. I'm currently looking at the titles, and this is amazing. And it's only :10bux: a month? And I can play any of these games as long as my subscription is active?

$5 at the moment while in beta (I think, it's £3.99 anyway) and $1 for the current month trial I believe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BurningCourage posted:

Apparently the Steam version supports Remote Play Together so that could be a solution for 4 player online?

Between this, the fact I realized my laptop hits the system requirements and the ability to remote play with moonlight on Vita, I’m going PC for release day

I’ll wait for a sale on the Switch.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My review went live this morning.

https://www.gameskinny.com/txutf/streets-of-rage-4-review-innovation-rather-than-imitation

You're going to be able to tell when somebody didn't really give it a chance when they complain that it's "button-mashing," when a really high percentage of the game is there specifically to keep you from successfully playing it like that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Wanderer posted:

My review went live this morning.

https://www.gameskinny.com/txutf/streets-of-rage-4-review-innovation-rather-than-imitation

You're going to be able to tell when somebody didn't really give it a chance when they complain that it's "button-mashing," when a really high percentage of the game is there specifically to keep you from successfully playing it like that.

Nice review! :)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm gonna get this on Steam and Remote Together the poo poo out of it. Happy to host for any goon who wants to try before buying it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Super excited to get a new beat em up in TYOOL 2020, even MORE excited that it's a new Streets of Rage game, and even MORE excited that reviews are so promising.

Can't wait to crack some heads.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm sure the new Battletoads game will be this good, right?

:smith:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I'm sure the new Battletoads game will be this good, right?

:smith:

Man, it's crazy how Battletoads is both iconic and really loving bad. Punching things into space was cool enough that the game being absolute bullshit after like 2.5 levels couldn't drag it down.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So it's only two players online (for PS4 anyhow) ? Is there a way to have, say, a mix of two local and two online?

I legit haven't been this excited for a game in years.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

So it's only two players online (for PS4 anyhow) ? Is there a way to have, say, a mix of two local and two online?

I legit haven't been this excited for a game in years.

I didn't actually have the ability to test it since I only had two codes for the game to review it with, but it seemed perfectly willing to let me do 3-player online on Steam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh that's cool, I didn't see it available for preload on the store at all so I was skeptical. Do PC Gamepass games usually go live at midnight or do they do the Steam/Epic thing where it's "when the intern wakes up after smoking his morning bowl."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Shine posted:

Man, it's crazy how Battletoads is both iconic and really loving bad. Punching things into space was cool enough that the game being absolute bullshit after like 2.5 levels couldn't drag it down.

I think most of the initial fervor for Battletoads was because for some reason, it got an absolute full-court press in Nintendo Power in the days when that magazine was the Bible for American NES fans. If not for that, it'd probably have ended up in the same bullshit bin with the Cheetahmen and Amagon.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
co-op games had a lot of spread because, by their nature, you tell all your friends about them

like, Battletoads was a big deal to everyone who owned it or had a friend that owned it, but so was Sunset Riders and Zombies Ate My Neighbors and basically anything you could haul to a sleepover would get hauled to a sleepover and become schoolyard legend

we always game over'd on turbo tunnel but by god, we got to do it together

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lunatic Sledge posted:

co-op games had a lot of spread because, by their nature, you tell all your friends about them

like, Battletoads was a big deal to everyone who owned it or had a friend that owned it, but so was Sunset Riders and Zombies Ate My Neighbors and basically anything you could haul to a sleepover would get hauled to a sleepover and become schoolyard legend

Yep, definitely this. And back in those days chances were strong that kids like us were lucky to get more than one or two games a year - birthday and Christmas - so you were more or less stuck with whatever grandma had bought, and maybe you could convince dad to take you to Blockbuster to rent something for the weekend because your best buddies from school are sleeping over. Anyway the point is you had very little capacity for changing your options when you made them/they were made for you. If that meant you were co-oping through Streets of Rage II between bouts of Road Rash, then great, but it could also mean you and the boys were trying to co-op through Battletoads and had merely Shaq Fu for backup, and so you played Battletoads and Shaq Fu, quality be damned. (Mom and dad had already started drinking and settled in to watch whatever they rented from Blockbuster, some weird boring adult thing no doubt, so you sure as hell weren't getting a second shot at that).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uxiL4fPWAA

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I want it now! I’m definitely taking a long lunch tomorrow for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any word on when exactly this unlocks?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

For fucks sakes nintendo let me BUY THIS GAME!!!!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

X-Men and X-Men 2 for Genesis were so unbelievably good for 16-bit titles. The boss that made you press the reset button on the console? Delicious.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

He keeps saying brawlers instead of beat 'em ups. How am I supposed to take this review seriously?

Oooo! Behind the scenes dev stuff!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any word on when exactly this unlocks?

If you have Gamepass for either PC or XB you can go to the AUS store and download it right now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have gamepass, but how does it work out financially for the actual developer? I feel like I should get this out of principal so at least the devs gets paid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I have gamepass, but how does it work out financially for the actual developer? I feel like I should get this out of principal so at least the devs gets paid.

The dev gets paid a large lump sum for being on the service. Nobody has disclosed directly what they get paid but no dev on the service has said anything less than positive about their experience and we know that for instance MS paid about 20 million for DMCV.

If you want to buy it still, feel free, but your basically double buying it from the devs point of view

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gaben release the streets. Release the streets of rage!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Whoever thought of a pacific standard time launch on a release day when that essentially means that everyone else will get the game much later should seriously go to prison.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Wanderer posted:

I think most of the initial fervor for Battletoads was because for some reason, it got an absolute full-court press in Nintendo Power in the days when that magazine was the Bible for American NES fans. If not for that, it'd probably have ended up in the same bullshit bin with the Cheetahmen and Amagon.

Battletoads came out at a really weird time as well (summer of 1991). It was created after the post-TMNT popularity boom, as well as the post-Final Fight beat-em-up popularity boom. By the time of the release of Battletoads, the only other major beat-em-up on the NES were Double Dragon II and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, with River City Ransom being more a sleeper underground rental hit. All three of those games came out in 1990. And since the SNES wasn't coming out in North America until a couple months later, Battletoads got to be one of the last major NES releases right before the SNES would take over a lot of the news, as well as being able to call itself a beat-em-up, despite the latter stages feeling like completely different games per stage.

The SNES port of Final Fight, stripped down as it was, wouldn't arrive in North America until holday 1991 as part of that initial launch months of the SNES. A few months prior to that, the Genesis/Mega Drive got Streets of Rage 1, which at the time could call itself a true competitor and claim to be superior to Final Fight due to having a proper two-player co-op feature. So on the Nintendo side of things in 1991, your more modern choice would've been Battletoads. On top of that, the first stage of Battletoads looks like it cribs quite a bit out of the Sega playbook by being kind of similar to the other major Genesis beat-em-up of the time, Golden Axe, a game famous mostly for having a really quick turnaround time from arcade release to console release (about six months or so), featuring proper two-player co-op, and having a bit more content than the arcade version.

What I'm curious about, because I rarely saw comparisons made as a child/teen in the 90s, is how often folks would compare games in those early years. Even dipping back into the 80s, the NES had Rad Racer, which was Squaresoft making their own bootleg OutRun. So I'm wondering how many folks got Battletoads thinking "oh this might be like Golden Axe a bit" since it was a beat-em-up and you could ride animals or whatever.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
It’s downloading now! :holy:

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Game owns, but I'm poo poo at it. First boss really messed me up!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Releasing on Steam in one hour. Argh.

RE: Battletoads, all my nostalgia for it is from Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, the SNES version as I didn't actually play the NES version until way later in life. Functionally though Battletoads in Battlemaniacs is just a remaster/remix of the first game anyway. The appeal for me as a kid though, even though it was hard as nails and I never made it past the fourth level on the rare occasion I could get through the speederbikes segment, was the rocking soundtrack, bright cartoony graphics and exaggerated finishers like The Boot or The Hammer or The Rams Horns.

I don't mind the art style of the development-limbo Battletoads that was shown at E3 2019 as much as some people did - I think heavily leaning into the bright cartoon aesthetic is the way to go - but maaaaaaaaaaaaaan it looked so drat slow and sluggish.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The best Battletoads game is Shovel Knight.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Oh man this is good. Getting a 20 hit combo on a couple of mooks and then throwing them into the boss is so satisfying. I love how you can cancel into moves too. The only thing I’m not used to yet is picking up items and attacking having two different buttons. The animation on this is stellar, everything has so much personality.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Shine posted:

The best game is Shovel Knight.

:colbert:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

:hmmyes: You're right, the next Shovel Knight game should be a 16-bit styled beat 'em up.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I asked in the Twitch stream broadcast on the Steam page. Mod on the channel said the game doesn't unlock until 10am PDT. But it's also supposed to be showing up on Gamepass searches, as noted above, so I'm curious how much Dotemu hosed the storefront settings across the board.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Been playing it

It's excellent

Playing with the retro sprites rules. And the soundtrack. MY GOD the soundtrack.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played through on Normal until I Game Over'd on the Stage 2 boss. Really, really loving gorgeous game, plays smoothly and the soundtrack so far has been great.

I absolutely love the weapon catch mechanic, feels incredibly satisfying to bounce a pipe off an enemy, catch it, turn around and smack down a second who was coming up behind you.

The riot shield guys in the second level are a pretty effective tutorial at the importance of using the defensive special to i-frame through damage, I'm still working on not getting too greedy with it though and I feel like it's a bit too easy to bust out the non-invulnerable offensive special if you're not careful and get demolished by an enemy interrupting you out of it from behind.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

For some reason the Steam page is wonky and won't let me buy it, but you can work around it by using the wishlist.

Two Owls fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 30, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This game rules and I suck so bad at it. On stage 5 now with my best gurl Blaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

Yep, definitely this. And back in those days chances were strong that kids like us were lucky to get more than one or two games a year - birthday and Christmas - so you were more or less stuck with whatever grandma had bought, and maybe you could convince dad to take you to Blockbuster to rent something for the weekend because your best buddies from school are sleeping over. Anyway the point is you had very little capacity for changing your options when you made them/they were made for you. If that meant you were co-oping through Streets of Rage II between bouts of Road Rash, then great, but it could also mean you and the boys were trying to co-op through Battletoads and had merely Shaq Fu for backup, and so you played Battletoads and Shaq Fu, quality be damned. (Mom and dad had already started drinking and settled in to watch whatever they rented from Blockbuster, some weird boring adult thing no doubt, so you sure as hell weren't getting a second shot at that).

Man everything you said you nailed 100%, thinking back to those times with mates sitting in bean bags and laying on the floor. One of the guys from school had a game guide magazine which he took from his older brother who was away for the weekend so we only had access to it for a short time. We used an electric typewriter and typed the guide out word for word so we could put the magazine back unnoticed so we didn't get beaten up haha. Toe jam & Earl was our back up game. Good times, bloody good times.