Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Pump Jockey posted:

The chud types are losing their minds over this and vowing to leave the church. Finally, there won’t be a wait for rotisserie chickens.

Holy poo poo their Facebook page is off the loving chain right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pump Jockey posted:

The chud types are losing their minds over this and vowing to leave the church. Finally, there won’t be a wait for rotisserie chickens.

im surprised that anyone is surprised

then again I'm in California and we've been doing this for weeks now

we lead the way :smugbert:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I have used nothing else but the Kirkland toilet paper for 10 years now, and I love it. Doesn't break, doesn't leave particles in my rear end, and has a nice Goldilocks medium of not too soft, not too hard.
If you don't like it, I'm just going to assume that it's a regional product variation.

I hate to admit it, but I was scared when it briefly disappeared, and made sure to grab an extra case as soon as I saw it again.

Alan Smithee posted:

im surprised that anyone is surprised

then again I'm in California and we've been doing this for weeks now

we lead the way :smugbert:

No poo poo, this is normal here in the Boston area, too.

My corporate HQ is Michigan, and I had a weird conversation with them the other day, they couldn't understand my urgency around getting properly printed floor markers out to their shops. Because they aren't doing that in suburban Michigan yet.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Ohio was one of the first states to really buckle down and accept our fate, DeWine got a ton of praise for following science advice and enacting restrictions (even if hes a poo poo head overall), and it took less than 24 hours for him to back down on a mandatory state-wide mask policy because of how much flak he got. Its bonkers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I do feel sorry for people who can’t handle masks. My wife’s one of them. She can hack it for ten minutes if she has to buy beyond that she gets super anxious and feels like she’s being smothered.

I mean gently caress people who go out without them though. This just means that for any longer poo poo (grocery runs and the like) I’m flying solo and she helps me unload poo poo when I get home.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does Costco typically stock yeast? I went to find some yesterday but I didn't see any, but I've never bought any at Costco before. I thought I remembered seeing some at some point.

e: also, everyone was wearing a mask and staying pretty far apart.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 30, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does Costco typically stock yeast? I went to find some yesterday but I didn't see any, but I've never bought any at Costco before. I thought I remembered seeing some at some point.

Last week they had a pallet of huge vacuum-sealed packages of dry yeast. The little packs have been scarce, so I bought one. It's now separated into mason jars in my freezer.

If anyone south of Boston needs yeast, I can give you a jar.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Last week they had a pallet of huge vacuum-sealed packages of dry yeast. The little packs have been scarce, so I bought one. It's now separated into mason jars in my freezer.

If anyone south of Boston needs yeast, I can give you a jar.

We have a bit left, but if we can't find any in a few weeks might take you up on that.

Thanks!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This is what to look for:

2 pounds! Under normal circumstances, that's like 3 years worth of yeast for me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yes. Yeast is scarce everywhere right now though.

Speaking of upsetting chuds, don't forget that they hosted a Donald Trump Jr book signing in AZ not that long ago.

In conclusion, Costco is a land of contrasts.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you’ve got flour but no yeast sounds like a good time to figure out a sour dough starter. That’s what I’ve been working with the last few weeks.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Grem posted:

Holy poo poo their Facebook page is off the loving chain right now.

Karen Nation is indeed out in full force.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I don't see the mask requirement on Costco's website, did they back down?

Edit: At least the Facebook post is still up, it's a great read for sure.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 30, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't see the mask requirement on Costco's website, did they back down?

Edit: At least the Facebook post is still up, it's a great read for sure.

It still shows for me here if you scroll down a bit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

canyoneer posted:

Yes. Yeast is scarce everywhere right now though.

Yeah, Fleischmann's has commented that they are having trouble getting their hands on packaging. The glass jars, vacuum packed bulk bags, and foil pouches are all manufactured in... India and China. Which are still locked down and there will be lead time to get it shipped over here (container ships take about a month).

(man, if COVID really gets going in India it's going to be a loving shitshow, I can only imagine what it would do with fine Indian sanitation)

Demand is also extremely high, they say demand spiked 6-fold (guess quarantiners really like their bread?), but that they are keeping up with the raw materials, it's the packaging that's problematic. I think a lot of "shortage" products are in a similar boat, India and China make a lot of packaging.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, Fleischmann's has commented that they are having trouble getting their hands on packaging. The glass jars, vacuum packed bulk bags, and foil pouches are all manufactured in... India and China. Which are still locked down and there will be lead time to get it shipped over here (container ships take about a month).

(man, if COVID really gets going in India it's going to be a loving shitshow, I can only imagine what it would do with fine Indian sanitation)

Demand is also extremely high, they say demand spiked 6-fold (guess quarantiners really like their bread?), but that they are keeping up with the raw materials, it's the packaging that's problematic. I think a lot of "shortage" products are in a similar boat, India and China make a lot of packaging.

My father in law has taken up baking during this pandemic. I don't know why now. He's been retired for 10 years, its not like his life has really changed.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The Slack Lagoon posted:

At my church it's usually on the same aisle as the vanilla. It's been in stock pretty consistently over the last three trips.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

It still shows for me here if you scroll down a bit.

You're right, I was just being lazy and did a ctrl+f for "mask".

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

The Walrus posted:

I work in the grocery industry in Canada. At least here there will be ground beef shortages, limited red meat shortages, but still shitloads of chicken. nobody up here eats pork.

Canada has it's own kind of bacon and you're telling me people don't even really eat it there???

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Artonos posted:

Canada has it's own kind of bacon and you're telling me people don't even really eat it there???

can you blame them? who would actually prefer to eat canadian bacon over a nice thick-cut slice of real bacon?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

My father in law has taken up baking during this pandemic. I don't know why now. He's been retired for 10 years, its not like his life has really changed.

Low bar for entry , seems easy enough to want to try, easy to get something edible, takes lots of work to get to where you actually think you did a good job with it. It’s a good option for when you’re locked in one place.

Add in a little self sufficiency fantasy during a period in time where you are discouraged from getting poo poo outside and it doesn’t surprise me.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Low bar for entry , seems easy enough to want to try, easy to get something edible, takes lots of work to get to where you actually think you did a good job with it. It’s a good option for when you’re locked in one place.

Add in a little self sufficiency fantasy during a period in time where you are discouraged from getting poo poo outside and it doesn’t surprise me.

Also it gives you fresh bread without a trip to the store.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I do feel sorry for people who can’t handle masks. My wife’s one of them. She can hack it for ten minutes if she has to buy beyond that she gets super anxious and feels like she’s being smothered.

I mean gently caress people who go out without them though. This just means that for any longer poo poo (grocery runs and the like) I’m flying solo and she helps me unload poo poo when I get home.

The rough part about the mask situation right now is the assholes who refuse to wear them for mah freedoms are endangering everyone else but being themselves protected by responsible people wearing the mask.

The mask does very little to help you, the point is to help everyone else. I live in an area of eastern WA that's super mediocre about the whole situation and even now you might find 1 in 4 people wearing masks, so there's almost no point to it. We did a monthly trip to cash and carry the other day to snag produce (fortunately our freezer basically always has meat cause when I see good cuts on sale I just stock up in general), the place straight up was providing gloves to customers and still over half weren't wearing them I assume out of some personal protest.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a bit of a bummer for people who regularly use flour though, I usually use flour on weekends for breakfast stuff (biscuits/pancakes/waffles/etc) but I haven't been able to get any for over a month now so I'm just going through my dwindling supply of cornmeal and that's about it.

I imagine the majority of those bags of flour going to people who would generally eat out every meal but decided to horde them now because the tv told them everyone else was doing it will get opened, used once or twice before they decide it's too much effort, and then sit in the back of their cupboard for the next couple years.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a bit of a bummer for people who regularly use flour though, I usually use flour on weekends for breakfast stuff (biscuits/pancakes/waffles/etc) but I haven't been able to get any for over a month now so I'm just going through my dwindling supply of cornmeal and that's about it.

I imagine the majority of those bags of flour going to people who would generally eat out every meal but decided to horde them now because the tv told them everyone else was doing it will get opened, used once or twice before they decide it's too much effort, and then sit in the back of their cupboard for the next couple years.

Are there any local flour mills to you with some bulk stock for curbside pickup? Bakeries? Restaurant suppliers? If you'll actually use 20/25/50# sacks, I think they're more available.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

shovelbum posted:

Are there any local flour mills to you with some bulk stock for curbside pickup? Bakeries? Restaurant suppliers? If you'll actually use 20/25/50# sacks, I think they're more available.

Yeah I could get a huge sack and I have thought about it but I'm not really desperate enough for that and it'd be inconvenient to store. I assume at some point the hording will die down when people realize they're not really using that much flour and then 5/10# bags will pop back up.

It's like the meat "shortage" we're about to see. People are gonna stuff their freezers out of panic for a couple weeks and then they'll run out of room and like magic the supply will appear perfectly normal by june.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah I could get a huge sack and I have thought about it but I'm not really desperate enough for that and it'd be inconvenient to store. I assume at some point the hording will die down when people realize they're not really using that much flour and then 5/10# bags will pop back up.

It's like the meat "shortage" we're about to see. People are gonna stuff their freezers out of panic for a couple weeks and then they'll run out of room and like magic the supply will appear perfectly normal by june.

I expect that the suburban crowd is packing their unused 5000 sq ft like a U-Boat at the start of a long patrol, just hanging hams and stacked sacks, I can't explain it otherwise.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of upsetting chuds, don't forget that they hosted a Donald Trump Jr book signing in AZ not that long ago.

I was so pissed about that I contacted them to let them know of my disgust. The person I was talking to didn't hear about it so instead of just saying "oh I'm sorry yeah yeah bye" they actually talked to their manager to verify it was happening... and then apologized. I appreciated that though. I felt like they took my comment seriously though. I mean not like they'd do anything but like maybe they ticked off a "customer is upset" mark somewhere.

I had to say something. I was super pissed to hear about that. I posted Costco's contact info (it's a bit wonky) in here and encouraged everyone to do the same, but doubt anyone did. This is something that mattered a lot to me. I really like Costco and seeing them allow this was infuriating.

edit: I'm pretty sure they did a thing with Hillary too years ago but I don't like that either. Keep Costco neutral!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 30, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No thicc bacon slabs at my costco :( Only the fanned out thin slice stuff.

Bought the 12yr Scotch for my birthday, made myself a whiskey punch in a giant skull tiki muig

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 30, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Suspect Bucket posted:

No thicc bacon slabs at my costco :( Only the fanned out thin slice stuff.

Bought the 12yr Scotch for my birthday, made myself a whiskey punch in a giant skull tiki muig

Happy birthday

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

There’s a membership based warehouse store you can find 25 pound bags at on the regular right now. I can’t remember the name for the life of me but I’m sure it’s googleable. I think they’re also known for a food court? Something about hot dogs?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Snowy posted:

Happy birthday

Thanks, it's actually everyone in the house's birthday for the next two weeks. So every silly decision we make is for our birthday.

Weird how all us may babies lined up

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

There’s a membership based warehouse store you can find 25 pound bags at on the regular right now. I can’t remember the name for the life of me but I’m sure it’s googleable. I think they’re also known for a food court? Something about hot dogs?

Costco was actually legit sold out of the 25 pound packs. I can get a 50# through a local restaurant cause I know the owner but it seems like a bit much.

I’m not too worried, the stupid panic buyers will run out of shelf space and realize that just like the last several decades of their life they don’t actually enjoy making their food from scratch and things will go back to normal eventually. It’s not a long term problem it’s just mildly annoying.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArbitraryC posted:

Costco was actually legit sold out of the 25 pound packs. I can get a 50# through a local restaurant cause I know the owner but it seems like a bit much.

I’m not too worried, the stupid panic buyers will run out of shelf space and realize that just like the last several decades of their life they don’t actually enjoy making their food from scratch and things will go back to normal eventually. It’s not a long term problem it’s just mildly annoying.

I managed to snag 2x5# bread flour from King Arthur last night, they also had some APF in. despite saying a 2-3 week backorder, they shipped it out today, so just ignore that. https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/flours/signature-flours

I would just smash F5 a few times a day, maybe around 5pm.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Had a dumbass moment at the Costco cash register, the cashier was gesturing at me to do something with my card, it was a bit muffled, so I tried to hand it to him and he angrily gestured No, No, then I confusedly held up my card to the glass, and I finally figured out he wanted me to turn the card so he can scan it through the glass

heh

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

ArbitraryC posted:

The rough part about the mask situation right now is the assholes who refuse to wear them for mah freedoms are endangering everyone else but being themselves protected by responsible people wearing the mask.

The mask does very little to help you, the point is to help everyone else. I live in an area of eastern WA that's super mediocre about the whole situation and even now you might find 1 in 4 people wearing masks, so there's almost no point to it. We did a monthly trip to cash and carry the other day to snag produce (fortunately our freezer basically always has meat cause when I see good cuts on sale I just stock up in general), the place straight up was providing gloves to customers and still over half weren't wearing them I assume out of some personal protest.

I saw a thing on Twitter that said, "If you tell everyone to use a mask to protect themselves, it would be universal. The moment you said to wear a mask to protect others, no one cared." And sadly it really does seem to be happening just like that. My wife has asthma so she gets anxious about going out shopping so I've done the majority of it, but most people around me have been relatively good about being protected. You still get the random weirdo thats out without gloves or a mask or anything, and seems slightly puzzled about what is going on, though.

Also on a side note, we found a Mexican place that not only delivers margaritas, but also does very heavy pours. Thats a heck of a good quarantine situation.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Went to Costco today. Almost everyone had a mask on, and those that didn't were offered masks at the door.

"If you are willing to, I have masks for you to wear"
"Haha, no thanks, we're good!" -A mother/daughter pair like 50's/20's

I saw maybe 5 people the whole time without masks, but oh boy, they looked smug about it.

The only fresh meat available here in Michigan was that $120ish packs of some kind of beef, and some little expensive packs of venison. I picked up another ham and some sausage to make due in the meantime.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

How do the exec and citi rewards work right now? Still as normal/store only?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Wish I'd bought the golf push cart from costco.com when I had the chance months ago. All golfing in my area is walking only, and my feetsy-weetsies hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
should make it legal to throw rocks at people who dont wear masks!!