Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Daken/Jason Todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Did Amalgam do any interesting villain combinations? Combine Batman and Wolverine, so combine their nemeses too?

Sabertooth in clown makeup?

The angriest juggalo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think most of the interesting villain combinations are the ones on the sideline.

Like Scarecrow. It's Scarecrow plus Scarecrow!
Siliconman. It's Sandman but he's wearing Plastic Man's glasses!
Shaggynaut. What if?™ Juggernaut was also a shag carpet?

Of the featured villains Green Skull is probably the best because it's Lex Luthor but he's given himself kryptonite poisoning and is also an immortal nazi in charge of Hydra. Also he's married to Lois Lane and Catwoman is his daughter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Jackal.

The rest of villains weren’t split between Wolverine and Batman. Riddler was mixed with Kingpin, and Catwoman was combined with Elektra.

EDIT: Favorite Amalgam villain was probably Bizaarnage.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 28, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I liked Ra's a-Pocalypse, myself.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
two words: doctor doomsday

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Thanoseid just seemed redundant.

Think I’ll dig out my old cards when I go to my parents house later. Marvel vs DC and Amalgam are so 90’s, I’d love to see what pairings and combos they’d come up with for the characters of this era. First ones that pops into my head is Miles Morales Spider-Man and Sideways, and Squirrel Girl and Barbara Gordon Batgirl.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hire 'H' for Hero

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Thanoseid just seemed redundant.

Think I’ll dig out my old cards when I go to my parents house later. Marvel vs DC and Amalgam are so 90’s, I’d love to see what pairings and combos they’d come up with for the characters of this era. First ones that pops into my head is Miles Morales Spider-Man and Sideways, and Squirrel Girl and Barbara Gordon Batgirl.

What about Barbara Gordon Oracle? The amalgam could be Hampster Wheel.

Edit: like a cross between these two:

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 28, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a Spider-Man/Invincible crossover when Kirkman was writing Marvel Team-Up, and it's actually available on Marvel Unlimited, which I didn't expect for anything involving IP Marvel doesn't own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If memory serves, Kirkman was only allowed to do it if Marvel got reprint rights and he wasn't ever allowed to reprint it in his TPBs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

If memory serves, Kirkman was only allowed to do it if Marvel got reprint rights and he wasn't ever allowed to reprint it in his TPBs.

For a one off that makes a lot of sense, plus wasn't that when Marvelwas leaning pretty heavily into writing for trades, almost everything was 6 issue arcs. I haven't read that era of Marvel Team-up, was there any sort of ongoing plot? Because then it would really suck if a chunk of story was missing from future reprints

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

So in the Invincible collections does it just skip over it and go "uh yeah so anyway there was this cross-universe adventure he had with a quite MARVELOUS set of characters from another company I AM FORBIDDEN TO EVER NAME."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No there's a page or two of him meeting other dimensional heroes and you see the opposite side if part of the Spiderman one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Hire 'H' for Hero

Dial a HUSK was one of the more clever Amalgams. It was pretty much just the regular H dial, but kind of gross.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me that I need to order that Dial H collection.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 28, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It was pretty much just the regular H dial, but kind of gross.

China Mieville's Trick

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Dial a HUSK was one of the more clever Amalgams. It was pretty much just the regular H dial, but kind of gross.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me that I need to order that Dial H collection.

I remain slightly annoyed that they amalgamated Quicksilver and Mercury of the Metal Men in Magneto and the Magnetic Men, and didn't use either name for the character, because Quicksilver was a dead character in Amalgam, and Mercury had been grabbed for a JL-X character made of Quicksilver and Impulse.

Insted, he was Nickel.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 28, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Prince is super lazy. She’s just 90’s leather Wonder Woman with a bow who is married to Castle who is Steve Trevor mixed with the Punisher. You’d think they’d just use Artemis, but nope, her name is still Diana. Classic Wonder Woman is mixed with Storm as the Amazon.

Black Bat is Barbara Gordon Batgirl in black and gray with Black Cat’s mask. Not Felicia Gordon or Barbara Hardy. Barbara Gordon.

Magneto is just Magneto with blonde hair and a slightly different costume. No signs of Doctor Polaris or anything. Could have at least called him Doc Magneto.

Shatterstarfire is actually pretty inspired. Ferro Lad/Colossus as Ferro Man is simple, but looks great. Mixing Barry and Wally with Johnny Blaze and Dan Ketch to make Speed Demon and Kid Demon is pretty neat too.

Elektra/Catwoman is Catsai. Deathstroke/Daredevil is a woman named Dare.

Nuke is just Bane but Santa Prisca was a Hydra compound. Hydra is just Hydra. Costumes and all.

Jocasta is Jocasta/Platinum, but evil and looks like a female Sentinel.

Baron Zero is Mr.Freeze/Baron Von Strucker.

I forgot how lazy most of these were.

EDIT: Man-Bat-Thing didn’t get a card.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 29, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Baron Zero is Mr.Freeze/Baron Von Strucker.

Of all the barons to go with for this joke, why'd they pick Von Strucker and not Zemo? I guess he wasn't really a high profile character pre-Thunderbolts but still.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
As a kid in the '80s, I always assumed Baron Zemo was a top-tier Marvel villain between him leading the Masters of Evil in their siege of Avengers Mansion (my favorite pre-Bendis Avengers story) and getting an action figure in the Secret Wars toy line.

But I also assumed Dr. Doom was Spider-Man's arch-enemy because he appeared so prominently in the '80s animated series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

maltesh posted:

I remain slightly annoyed that they amalgamated Quicksilver and Mercury of the Metal Men in Magneto and the Magnetic Men, and didn't use either name for the character, because Quicksilver was a dead character in Amalgam, and Mercury had been grabbed for a JL-X character made of Quicksilver and Impulse.

Insted, he was Nickel.

Well, Quicksilver isn’t a real metal, and Mercury isn’t magnetic.

And apparently Ferro Man (Ferro Lad/Colossus) is also part Robot Man because he’s in X Patrol. Lead by Niles Cable. Elasti Girl is a combination of Elasti Girl/Wasp, and her nick name is Domino and has a circle around one eye.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quicksilver is the real metal mercury.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Some of Dial Husk's transformations were inspired, like Mary Marvel Girl and Artemisty Knight.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Did Amalgam do any interesting villain combinations? Combine Batman and Wolverine, so combine their nemeses too?

Sabertooth in clown makeup?

The angriest juggalo

The Hyena.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
also notable I feel is Spider-Boy, who is Ben Reilly and Superboy and I loved both of their dumb 90s designs even if I'm not sure the concept works

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was one of the best of the bunch.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

does that leave kitty pryde / nightwing? shadow wing? Night Cat?

...Dick Pryde?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember that month where there was the big Nightcat push on the Bullpen Bulletins page and then I never saw the comic at all. Not that I wanted to read it, I just found it odd that I never saw it all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh man, when Cardiac finds out who stole his staff, he's going to be so

Hm, probably not mad at all, actually.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

Oh man, when Cardiac finds out who stole his staff, he's going to be so

Hm, probably not mad at all, actually.

Cardiac will just be happy that someone remembers him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cardiac's dead I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not back then, though. What some call the Nightcat Age.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Given the hair and the style of the outfit I'm pretty sure I was alive during the time when this came out, but I'm drawing a blank on "America's Hottest Singing Sensation" here.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CzarChasm posted:

Given the hair and the style of the outfit I'm pretty sure I was alive during the time when this came out, but I'm drawing a blank on "America's Hottest Singing Sensation" here.

You don't remember the non-charting smash single #1 House Rule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hfE009MKM

It's... not bad?

Here's Elliot R. Brown talking about the project along with vintage photographs he took of NIGHTCAT on top of the Marvel offices.

Here's the Marvel Age article/press release about the comic

The only official release of Jim Lee's character design appears to be this lovely Comic Images trading card

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 30, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the distaff adventures of the guffless girlverine, committee-created in the finest merry marvel manner

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's Elliot R. Brown talking about the project along with vintage photographs he took of NIGHTCAT on top of the Marvel offices.

quote:

Thanks to the internet, one can read that this now-one-shot magazine did not sell well. The creative team was probably as good as these things could get. Jim Salicrup alone – one of Marvel’s unsung creative geniuses – was one of the more thoughtful “idea men” of that time. He was credited along with (Editor Mike Rockwits’) Assistant Editor Barry Dutter, as the character and plot creators. If you ever get a chance to see/find/turn up a copy of Dutter’s solo publishing effort, GAG! magazine, you should do yourself a favor and read it.

Any True Fan of Stan Lee’s work need only get this book to complete the woof and warp of that man’s career. It would not be the first time Stan wrote a female character’s dialog! Legendary Good- and Bad-Girl Artist—in this case, Penciler, Denys Cowan did that good-looking girl proud and Inkers’ Inker Jimmy Palmiotti finished the look. Comrades Janice Chiang and Greg Wright lettered/colored.

As good as it gets!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I remember Atop the Fourth Wall did a review of Night Cat. I seem to recall 'Ninja-style dancers' were a plot point.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I don't feel like the cover adequately exposes the volume of the hair.

Thank you Charles H. Stein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Squizzle posted:

the distaff adventures of the guffless girlverine, committee-created in the finest merry marvel manner

I will name change the first person who asks "Guffless Girlverine"