Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Invalido posted:

You don't see many TIG/MIG combinations (TIG/stick is common enough). That particular machine is probably not very good at TIG though. It seems to be DC only (aluminum not possible) and scratch start only. The "manual" they link to states "A scratch or lift Start is often used to initiate the arc". High frequency start is really something you want IMO. Lots of people make good welds with scratch start but it's tricky and makes it harder to be precise at the beginning of a weld. When you're working with thin sheet metal it's a hassle you don't want to deal with I think.
Excellent info. Thank you!

It’s starting to sound like MIG only might be worth looking at. Most of what I want to be able to do is car repair, so TIG is probably the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

It’s starting to sound like MIG only might be worth looking at. Most of what I want to be able to do is car repair, so TIG is probably the wrong direction.

TIG definitely can have it's place on a car. But you really just want to get a good MIG to start. Especially if you're doing sheet metal.

You also probably want a joggler (https://www.amazon.com/RE92-30-Sealey-Joggler-Flanging/dp/B000RA0ZRG/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=joggler&qid=1588023388&sr=8-2)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

TIG definitely can have it's place on a car. But you really just want to get a good MIG to start. Especially if you're doing sheet metal.

You also probably want a joggler (https://www.amazon.com/RE92-30-Sealey-Joggler-Flanging/dp/B000RA0ZRG/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=joggler&qid=1588023388&sr=8-2)
Yeah. Although I'd like to do both, I know for a fact MIG can do everything I'm directly likely to need/want (the best fabricator I know only uses MIG, and builds amazing poo poo). I figure it's better to get a good MIG than a middling or less than good combo or TIG. I used BoostCreep's Hobart Handler 140 recently and found it pretty decent, is there a 240v version I should consider instead? (Combo would be cool, but I'm reasonably confident I will have access to 240v by the time I buy this.)

I don't know what the hell a joggler does but I want one just based on the name! edit: holy gently caress, that's awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utM2HOQWEDs

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 27, 2020

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Tig and mig are both fine for cars, but as always, mig is faster, easier, cheaper, and more convenient in most circumstances. If you're consistently working with sub 14ga sheet metal, pipe, stainless, or aluminum, I'd say tig it up all day, everyday. However, an AC/DC mig machine with a spool gun will do basically all the same stuff (albeit less precisely and with more heat) that a comparable AC/DC tig machine does

I really wish I could weld more, but all my gear is locked at my school. I've got almost $700 in that locker, and getting used to a non-autodarkening shade 11 with my bulky stick gloves TIGing is just wasting Argon that my furloughed rear end can't afford to replace right now

E: I searched long and hard for a combo machine that had AC/DC for both MIG and TIG with DC pulse, that ran on 110v, and had a real duty cycle, and I think the cheapest was $3800

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 27, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

is there a 240v version I should consider instead? (Combo would be cool, but I'm reasonably confident I will have access to 240v by the time I buy this.)

It really depends on what you are doing/will be doing. Anything non-poo poo that requires 240 is gonna have a longer duty cycle. Do you need that for plug welding sheet metal? No. Are you gonna do more stuff and not want to wait 10 minutes for every 2 minutes you're welding at full tilt? Then yes, if you have/cane easily get a 240 outlet.

I have a little Hobart 120v that I have set up for flux core (no gas needed) which is awesome to "take on the road" to get someone unstuck for like, welding a nut on top of a bolt the broke the head off of, etc. because you can get 120 basically anywhere. But it's a super secondary box for me. (FYI flux core is awesome if you need to weld outside.....it don't give a gently caress, unlike MIG where the gas will blow away if it's windy)

Krakkles posted:

I don't know what the hell a joggler does but I want one just based on the name! edit: holy gently caress, that's awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utM2HOQWEDs

Indeed. Sheet metal repairs made easy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

It really depends on what you are doing/will be doing. Anything non-poo poo that requires 240 is gonna have a longer duty cycle. Do you need that for plug welding sheet metal? No. Are you gonna do more stuff and not want to wait 10 minutes for every 2 minutes you're welding at full tilt? Then yes, if you have/cane easily get a 240 outlet.

I have a little Hobart 120v that I have set up for flux core (no gas needed) which is awesome to "take on the road" to get someone unstuck for like, welding a nut on top of a bolt the broke the head off of, etc. because you can get 120 basically anywhere. But it's a super secondary box for me. (FYI flux core is awesome if you need to weld outside.....it don't give a gently caress, unlike MIG where the gas will blow away if it's windy)

Indeed. Sheet metal repairs made easy.
I'd definitely rather be on the 240v side of that, and include flux core if possible. There are definitely things I want to do specifically, but my general plan is: I'm isolating at home and have plenty of time to stick things together to practice. 2/10 would frustrate me quickly. I don't live in a particularly windy area, but I am not assured of having full protection from the wind either.

So: Whatever Lincoln/Miller/Hobart that's 240v, does flux core, and matches a price point I'm comfortable with?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Krakkles posted:

I'd definitely rather be on the 240v side of that, and include flux core if possible. There are definitely things I want to do specifically, but my general plan is: I'm isolating at home and have plenty of time to stick things together to practice. 2/10 would frustrate me quickly. I don't live in a particularly windy area, but I am not assured of having full protection from the wind either.

So: Whatever Lincoln/Miller/Hobart that's 240v, does flux core, and matches a price point I'm comfortable with?

That Hobart 140 will most likely do 220. I have a Craftsman 120 made by Hobart and it does 220.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I'd definitely rather be on the 240v side of that, and include flux core if possible.

I'm pretty sure any MIG is gonna do flux core also. MIG is extra poo poo, flux core is just......the wire feeder with no gas. So I think you're good there.

I'll leave it to others to direct you to something specific because I'm sure as hell not up on modern poo poo. My TIG/Stick is this:

500 lbs of 1980s transformer goodness.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wallaka posted:

That Hobart 140 will most likely do 220. I have a Craftsman 120 made by Hobart and it does 220.

I have that welder and no. The next step up is only 220v, and the step above is dual voltage. When I bought it that was a key selection criteria, and sadly I couldn't justify jumping up double the price for the dual voltage model.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

StormDrain posted:

I have that welder and no. The next step up is only 220v, and the step above is dual voltage. When I bought it that was a key selection criteria, and sadly I couldn't justify jumping up double the price for the dual voltage model.

Mine must have been made before marketing decisions like that were a thing, it’s from the 80s.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I just bought some .090 2.5 inch mild steel tubing for a car project that involves welding. I have the welder and associated PPE. I need an economic entry into all of the other stuff. Welding area, angles, grinder, clamps, A way to bend tubing and a way to notch it. Since I need so much, I figure there might be a babbys first welder package or something. I won't be welding every day so light duty stuff is preferred to save some money. I'm willing to sacrifice adjustability, convenience, size or weight for the sake of saving a few bucks. Just not reliability. Taking suggestions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Speaking of tools.

I've got a Taiwanese Bridgeport clone I picked up free from another ai goon in... 2014? Never got anything done on it sadly and I'm moving so it needs to go. Free to good or bad home. Located in Stafford springs CT. I can hopefully arrange to be able to lift it onto a trailer with enough notice. If your trailer won't handle 3000lb rent a uhaul one and get the full damage waiver.

I also have a Linde ucc305b boatanchor Tig/stick welder. It's basically the grandaddy of Motronics. 968lb of transformer. 300 amp output rating, runs on 208, 230, or 460 single phase. Duty cycle: what duty cycle? Bet it'll run flat out forever once repaired. Allegedly welds for a few minutes and trips the breaker, my bet is it needs rectifiers, they bolt in so no soldering experience needed. Also free. Located in New Braintree MA. I can definitely load this one.

And a free shop press frame I built. Needs feet so it doesn't tip over, ram guides (easy for any semi skilled fabricator), and a hydro cylinder. I built it to fit basically any of the ones from HF and home Depot up to, IIRC, 50 tons. I also built it large enough to fit things in it you wouldn't be able to fit in a regular press. But I never finished it and both my employer and I needed a working press sooner rather than later so I replaced it with a 12 ton HF press. Located in Southbridge MA.

Please take my rashly procured/built free tools from me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

The 210MVP, looks like?

For whatever reason, if you buy it by itself, it’s $919 on amazon. If you buy it with “nozzle gel”, it’s $841? Both of which are actually below MSRP, so solid start.

I’m still shopping around, but I’m leaning toward this. It seems to be cheaper than the Miller equivalent, and better than the Lincoln equivalent.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

IMO get the Handler 140, I've never run into the duty cycle cutoff, even welding 1/4" plate steel with .035 wire in multiple fillets, seriously unless you're running 8' beads you do not need a 240V MIG welder. Take that $400, and apply it to an Everlast or Vulcan TIG setup, or just buy the nice Hobart MIG and get an el cheapo TIG/stick setup.

These were all done in two days (top and bottom plates) with the ends chamfered and 2 each passes with a Handler 140, do you need to weld heavier stuff than this?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Motronic posted:

500 lbs of 1980s transformer goodness.
That's insane.
Brother and I recently got an old-ish Lincoln MIG that is 90 kg without its gas bottle, and I thought that was heavy. Threw my back out a little loading it into the car because I'm stupid like that. It's not running right though, the wire comes out of the gun in a spiral motion messing up the bead. Probably needs a new liner or an entire new gun assembly worst case. On the plus side it's a three-phase machine with what seems like a high quality wire feeder and some serious power compared to the old unit we used. Whenever you Americans describe your electrical woes I feel bad for you. 230V and ubiquitous residential three-phase seems awesome compared to what you guys are dealing with on a daily basis.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invalido posted:

That's insane.
Brother and I recently got an old-ish Lincoln MIG that is 90 kg without its gas bottle, and I thought that was heavy.

This one has a big lifting eye (at the center of gravity fortunately) on the top and I lift it with an engine crane when I've have to move it off the ground. I built a cart out of box section for moving it on the floor.

At full tilt it draws 84 amps at 208v and still has a 60% duty cycle (welding amps around 300). It's 100% duty cycle anywhere around or below 150 amps. It's totally overkill, but the price was right (because most people don't want to deal with a boat anchor like that) and it should run basically forever. Miller still carries parts for it, but nothing is really specific enough that you NEED miller parts since it's just a big dumb transformer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ding ding. I've got the red one and I filled mine with hi-temp wheel bearing grease. I've kicked the hell out of that thing for years now and it keeps taking it. The original poo poo I dug out of it looked like ear wax.

It's a lucrative job when I air-mail mine back to China.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elviscat posted:

IMO get the Handler 140, I've never run into the duty cycle cutoff, even welding 1/4" plate steel with .035 wire in multiple fillets, seriously unless you're running 8' beads you do not need a 240V MIG welder. Take that $400, and apply it to an Everlast or Vulcan TIG setup, or just buy the nice Hobart MIG and get an el cheapo TIG/stick setup.

These were all done in two days (top and bottom plates) with the ends chamfered and 2 each passes with a Handler 140, do you need to weld heavier stuff than this?
I think it's just that I'd really rather not run into it later, and spending a bit more now to have it Just Work is an acceptable option to me.

You do have me considering whether I should grab the 240v only, which is ~$200 less, but it appears the dual voltage has slightly better specs as well:

Handler 190 (240v only) posted:

25-190a
30% @ 130a

Handler 210MVP (120/240v) posted:

25-210a
30% @ 150a

I'm not at all sure yet, but I'm leaning toward "spend a little more now, not worry about ever replacing it, (get into TIG at some point if I find the need)". In addition to a bit better power output, it gives me the option of moving it somewhere where I don't have 240v, as well.

Also, those welds look good! You're either a good welder or a good grinder (or both)!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Thank you! Lots of grinding on that project, looks pretty good now that it's powder coated though.

I'd definitely go dual voltage at least, part of the beauty of a MIG gun is being able to drag the whole thing anywhere to weld, especially with flux-core, I have a nice 50' 10 gauge extension cord to run my MIG wherever I want, nice if I need to bodge the lawn tractor's muffler back together and I don't feel like shuffling cars to get it into the shop, or removing parts, plus if you're welding up something big enough, you get to the point where it's easier to bring the welder than the weldement.

This trailer is a good example, I welded the ladder frame that we bolted to the old boat trailer in the garage, it barely fit out the door, so I welded the rest in-place with stick for the meaty sections and MIG for the thin bits (my stick/tig is dual voltage, but I have a 50' 240V extension chord for my car charger, so I just used that)

BTW I would never compromise on 240V for stick, and even more so for TIG, you just need more power for those applications.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

Free stuff

Why is everything in different cities?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cat Hatter posted:

Why is everything in different cities?

My house is in Southbridge and the press is at it due to inertia.
My hangar (where I do 90% of my wrenching) is in New Braintree, I brought the welder there years ago thinking I would actually use it. This of course never happened.
The mill is at ACEofsnett's shop in Stafford Springs because he wanted to be able to use it and we got as far as moving it there and then immediately found more interesting projects to stack in front of it instead of actually fixing and using it, and he would very much like the space in his shop back from it so it was dragged outside and tarped several weeks ago.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I would def take that big sumbitch welder if I wasn't so many states away.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I would def take that big sumbitch welder if I wasn't so many states away.
Saaaame.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yup. If it was cost effective to move it all to the PNW I'm sure everything wouldn't be up for grabs in the first place.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Galler posted:

Yup. If it was cost effective to move it all to the PNW I'm sure everything wouldn't be up for grabs in the first place.

I mean, I'm already bringing my Eastwood 135 and snapon 230 (both mig machines), and maybe a similar 200 amp Tig boatanchor. I simply don't need *two* boatanchor Tig machines out there and the larger one is the clear choice for disposal. The smaller one might end up on the chopping block too, I haven't used either and I'm sure I can get my hands on one out there if two found their way to me here.

I'll scrap it if I have to - hell it's probably worth a few hundred in scrap - but I'd rather see it actually get used, especially since I traded a set of dried out 20 year old Jeep tires on rusty steel wheels for it. It's not like I really have much cost to recoup here.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Well if you find an excessive amount of neat poo poo out here for cheap I won't be far away. Though hopefully by then I'll already have gotten a lathe and mill and will be largely out of space.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Should I get an 8" bench grinder or a 6"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How many benches do you plan to grind?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

How many benches do you plan to grind?

Haha, caught you. You ARE a dad.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

This is the inside of a 300 liter air tank. It was made in 1956 and last inspected and pressure tested to 12 bar in 1994 according to the stickers on it. It had a good amount of rust flakes at the bottom. Replacement ASAP. It will probably live on as a BBQ or something.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Just copped 2 6 amp hour makita batteries at the local Home Depot for 130 bucks. My leaf blower has never been so happy!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wrar posted:

I miss my bench grinder bad, looking forward to this one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice one?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Honestly most of them are fine, with varying degrees of tool rest quality. If you want to jump into the actual 'nice' category (like Baldor) they're comically expensive.
Go with Jet or Dewalt or another prosumer-type brand, 3/4 hp or more.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW758-8-Inch-Bench-Grinder/dp/B0000224J4
https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-DS-200-8-Inch-Grinder/dp/B0054M9546
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jet-1-HP-8-in-Industrial-Metalworking-Bench-Grinder-115-Volt-JBG-8A-577102/204058695

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 30, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is a HF vise decent enough for someone who very rarely needs a vise? I looked on CL for a good deal and a new HF one was cheaper than the heavily used CL ones, plus HF is closer and I don't have to deal with people from CL.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you could probably do better, mixed reviews here:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428395&showall=1

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

MomJeans420 posted:

Is a HF vise decent enough for someone who very rarely needs a vise? I looked on CL for a good deal and a new HF one was cheaper than the heavily used CL ones, plus HF is closer and I don't have to deal with people from CL.

I'm pretty much the same use case, I went with a WEN 5" vise. It was $40 and I've been pretty impressed with the quality of it at that price point.
I'm not sure it would stand up to heavy duty daily use, but for occasional stuff it's been great.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Wrar posted:

I went with the 8" and haven't regretted it, for what it's worth.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Figured I'd check the local Ace Hardware vise after reading that and it seems that it's just as bad and everyone said you may as well just buy the HF using a 20% off coupon.

nadmonk posted:

I'm pretty much the same use case, I went with a WEN 5" vise. It was $40 and I've been pretty impressed with the quality of it at that price point.
I'm not sure it would stand up to heavy duty daily use, but for occasional stuff it's been great.

This may be the better option, as of right now it seems like I'd only need to use it a few times a year, although once I own one I may use it more often. My two current use cases (holding a gun barrel so I can lightly stone it down and holding the forks from my motorcycle for changing the oil) aren't really high stress/force.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

We have two of those same vices at work (although they're a different brand) and they're sort of convenient for some things, but a big pain in the dick for others. If you're working primarily with things you can clamp down hard on, they're super nice. Garbage for anything delicate, and getting out a screwdriver to lock the two rotation screws at the back is not worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got a Yost 5.5" vise on amazon when they were on sale and I've been really happy with it. It's beefy as hell, IMO. I paid a fair amount less than the current price though.