Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

I'm hoping to get some opinions/ideas around functional lounge chairs. My family of four downsized to a small condo last year. We've had enough time to settle and now we're starting to swap out furniture where we can afford it for more space-centric pieces. I work from home and want a chair I can periodically flop in to take a call or work for a few hours when I don't feel like sitting at a desk. Probably something that looks like this:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/soederhamn-armchair-samsta-dark-gray-s59902192/

Obviously I'm checking out Ikea and some of the other sites in the OP. My thought is that I might be able to find something like this that also has some storage underneath or perhaps folds out into a sleeping situation. I've found a few of the fold-out, futon models around but can't really tell if they would be comfortable for sitting. So, I thought I post up here to see if anyone has recommendations. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
We are moving mid-month and have a written agreement from the complex that we're paying a prorated amount for rent. However, the online portal we pay rent through has the full amount listed. The guy in the office said they would try and have it updated before rent was due, but it still shows the full month's rent amount.

I've been assured that if that happened, I could just pay the full amount and they'd refund me later.

1. I don't trust that
2. I want to have some wiggle room to make a important/dumb purchase, but also moving costs

Going to try and call the actual manager today and want to know what I can reasonably ask for so I'm not paying double what I was told I'd be paying.

In California, if that makes a difference.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Go hand a check to the office?

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Right. Office Bro made it sound like online was the only way to pay (and is the only way we've ever paid), but I checked our lease and they do accept personal checks, so I'll try that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Use a money order or certified check if you can. Prevents them from holding onto the check and depositing it 3 months later without notifying you and causing you to overdraft.:argh:

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Smart, I'll do that instead.

In the event they refuse to accept it because the payment portal shows a different amount or something, what do I do? I just don't trust that this is going to go smoothly, though there's no reason it shouldn't.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

The written agreement supercedes whatever is claimed on the portal. You'll be fine. Bring a copy of the agreement with you (in case they ask to see it) and make sure to get a signed receipt when you present the check.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Hey so weird question, can a dish soap in toilet prank affect other apartments' toilets. About ten minutes I heard gurgling coming from the hall bathroom and when I lifted the lid on the toilet, soap foam started coming out. I live on the first floor with my aunt and I think I heard her toilet making the same noise.

I'm not worried about it, just curious.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
My neighbor tried to unclog her bathroom sink and this black gunk started seeping up into my bathroom sink. I assume toilet plumbing could also be connected beneath.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

RabbitMage posted:

We are moving mid-month and have a written agreement from the complex that we're paying a prorated amount for rent. However, the online portal we pay rent through has the full amount listed. The guy in the office said they would try and have it updated before rent was due, but it still shows the full month's rent amount.

I've been assured that if that happened, I could just pay the full amount and they'd refund me later.

1. I don't trust that
2. I want to have some wiggle room to make a important/dumb purchase, but also moving costs

Going to try and call the actual manager today and want to know what I can reasonably ask for so I'm not paying double what I was told I'd be paying.

Yeah, once they have your money, you are unlikely to ever get it back (and definitely not in a timely manner). Do what everyone else says, but definitely don't overpay them.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Any resources/websites/apps that are known to have listings of month-to-month/temporary rentals, other than AirBnB (and sometimes Craigslist)?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd like a subtle, fairly neutral air freshener; what's good?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I like Ozium

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Thanatosian posted:

What you need to do is figure out what is smelling bad and clean or remove it. The next time you are away from the house, when you return, sniff sniff sniff until you identify the source (your nose gets used to smells after a while, so it's easier to do this if you haven't been home for a bit).

Some ideas:

1. Replace your HVAC filter (should do this every ~3 mos or so).
2. Rent or borrow a RugDoctor or any other kind of upholstery cleaner and clean your couches / sofa / rugs.
3. If the smell is mildew-y or swamp-y, you could have a moisture problem. A dehumidifier will help with this.
4. If the smell is a pet smell (or human pee smell), clean it with Nature's Miracle.

But, if you just need some quick options, Febreze (especially the low-fragrance one) is actually good at removing smells rather than covering them. There's also the Bad Air Sponge, which you just open and leave out, which does the same thing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanatosian posted:

Deep into home remedy territory here, but I've found dropping part of a lemon into my disposal helps it smell a lot better. My wife eats lemons every day so a couple times a week we drop a used lemon slice or half down there and run the disposal until it's all gone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vonnegutt posted:

What you need to do is figure out what is smelling bad and clean or remove it. The next time you are away from the house, when you return, sniff sniff sniff until you identify the source (your nose gets used to smells after a while, so it's easier to do this if you haven't been home for a bit).

Some ideas:

1. Replace your HVAC filter (should do this every ~3 mos or so).
2. Rent or borrow a RugDoctor or any other kind of upholstery cleaner and clean your couches / sofa / rugs.
3. If the smell is mildew-y or swamp-y, you could have a moisture problem. A dehumidifier will help with this.
4. If the smell is a pet smell (or human pee smell), clean it with Nature's Miracle.

But, if you just need some quick options, Febreze (especially the low-fragrance one) is actually good at removing smells rather than covering them. There's also the Bad Air Sponge, which you just open and leave out, which does the same thing.
I live in a tiny apartment in an old building above a restaurant; the whole building just kind of smells. No HVAC.

LLSix posted:

Deep into home remedy territory here, but I've found dropping part of a lemon into my disposal helps it smell a lot better. My wife eats lemons every day so a couple times a week we drop a used lemon slice or half down there and run the disposal until it's all gone.
No garbage disposal, either.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I accidentally melted some plastic on the stove top recently and after airing out with the windows, some distilled vinegar in cups strategically placed around my apartment did a lot to get rid of the smell.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

RabbitMage posted:

1. I don't trust that

We paid a check for the amount quoted and was well.

But it is now 22 days since we moved out and we haven't heard anything re: our deposit. In California, landlords have 21 days to return it or send an itemized bill, to my understanding.

So, now what?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Now you threaten to take them to small claims court and win three times your deposit, and quote them the CA law that makes it automatic.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Make a fuss about it and don't stop until you get the check. They'll sit on their hands hoping youll either forget or decide it's not worth the hassle so they can keep the money. A landlord I had a few years ago "forgot" to return the deposit for over a month until I showed up to the office in person and demanded it back.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Now you threaten to take them to small claims court and win three times your deposit, and quote them the CA law that makes it automatic.

Yup, do this with certified mail so you have a receipt of them receiving it.

My old landlord tried that bullshit, I received a check like 3 days after the certified mail was received.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Well, we got a letter today dated March 10th, billing us $366 over our deposits. Our last month's water/garbage, $1000 for replacing the floor due to pet urine, and $240 for "cleaning of apartment".

The pet urine is probably true but also they're remodeling the apartments and removing the carpets anyway, as far as I know. We did clean before we left, though not perfectly.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Remember that they can only charge you a percentage of the life of the carpet and flooring. Which per California law have a lifespan of 7 years. So if they haven't replaced the carpet in 7 years legally they can't charge you for any of it. If they installed it six years ago they can only charge you 1/7th of the replacement cost.

Water garbage you can demand they pro rate it if that's applicable, and cleaning you can fight too if you took pictures of how they left it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

It almost has to be an itemized list, as well, so just "cleaning the apartment" is not sufficient.

Also if it's not certified mail I won't tell your secret if you just lose it :shrug:

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Remember that they can only charge you a percentage of the life of the carpet and flooring. Which per California law have a lifespan of 7 years. So if they haven't replaced the carpet in 7 years legally they can't charge you for any of it. If they installed it six years ago they can only charge you 1/7th of the replacement cost.

Water garbage you can demand they pro rate it if that's applicable, and cleaning you can fight too if you took pictures of how they left it.

The carpet was (supposedly) newly installed when we moved in October 2017. We did take some general pics when we moved to show the condition of the apartment.

And the letter wasn't sent certified mail.

ETA: We asked for a walkthrough prior to moving out and the office dude said he'd call to schedule it within 2 weeks before out move out date. He never did and we were dealing with enough moving parts that we never touched base about it again, so the walkthrough never happened. Don't know if that changes anything.

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 12, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

RabbitMage posted:

The carpet was (supposedly) newly installed when we moved in October 2017. We did take some general pics when we moved to show the condition of the apartment.

And the letter wasn't sent certified mail.

So you would owe 4.5/7 of the $1000 in that case. Unless their itemized bill includes that. And they had better have kept their receipts of when the carpet was installed because otherwise it's auto 7. If you decide to accept this letter even though it wasn't certified, I'd respond back demanding the documentation the law obliges them to have.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah they're just trying to scare you into paying them money, send them a certified legalese letter. Burn their bullshit letter :guillotine:

There was a template on a tenant protections website I found for my state that I just copied and pasted, check if there's something like that for you.

Fake edit: and hopefully you have documentation of the lack of final walkthrough, find and keep that handy.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah they're just trying to scare you into paying them money, send them a certified legalese letter. Burn their bullshit letter :guillotine:

There was a template on a tenant protections website I found for my state that I just copied and pasted, check if there's something like that for you.

Fake edit: and hopefully you have documentation of the lack of final walkthrough, find and keep that handy.

We don't, as we don't have solid documentation of any repairs requests because after our first few months of no response for things we submitted online, they told us their submission form didn't really work and the only way to get things done was to go into the office and request things in person.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I was thinking hard about this before the 'roni hit, but I absolutely need a chair that isn't my office chair for sitting in to relax. I'm having a real hard time finding something sturdy (I'm a hella big dude), that isn't a recliner. I'm leaning towards a mission-style chair. Anyone have any suggestions on finding one for under $1000?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been renting the same house for about five years. When I moved in, the woman I rent from told me she was the owner. She is listed as the owner on qpublic too. She inherited it from her husband when he died 15 years ago.

Yesterday she texted me about "the owner and an appraiser" coming by to look at the house. I told her I thought she was the owner. She said she's just the manager and that my lease supercedes anything else so it would not affect me.

What is likely happening here? I don't know how she could have sold the house without us knowing, and she's being cagey about the appraiser.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

I was thinking hard about this before the 'roni hit, but I absolutely need a chair that isn't my office chair for sitting in to relax. I'm having a real hard time finding something sturdy (I'm a hella big dude), that isn't a recliner. I'm leaning towards a mission-style chair. Anyone have any suggestions on finding one for under $1000?

Find your local used office furnishing store and get a Steelcase task chair for $tupid cheap. they're still reasonably comfortable to hang out in for a while, vs a full on armchair or recliner, but YMMV.
They also sometimes have the more loungey office furniture too.

Like this (local to NC)
https://www.dosoffice.com

https://www.dosoffice.com/used-furniture/club-chairs-by-bernhardt

https://www.dosoffice.com/used-furniture/white-leather-club-chair

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 23, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have suggestions for a roomba or other brand for a two bedroom apt with vinyl flooring and three cats? I've heard mixed reports between they do an ok job to they fill up too fast and just get a small cordless vacuum.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have some dining table chairs I got with a dining table I no longer have; I'd like to ditch them. I have a tiny apartment, so I want a couple of nice folding chairs (we rarely host). The ones Wirecutter recommends look cheap and outdoor-focused; I'd like something a little nicer. Definitely willing to spend some money (I'd say up to $400 for two exceptionally nice chairs), but if that's my best option, that's fine as well. Any recommendations?

Or, alternatively, a different kind of chair that doesn't take up much space; we have an IKEA Gateleg that serves as our table, if that matters.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a roomba or other brand for a two bedroom apt with vinyl flooring and three cats? I've heard mixed reports between they do an ok job to they fill up too fast and just get a small cordless vacuum.

We got the $150 ecovac dumb bot (no app/wifi/super sensors) and it is a perfectly cromulent daily sweeper. The first few times it runs, empty it often cuz it's probably finding stuff you haven't seen for a while but after that after each run is fine for us. (Two medium+ dogs and wood floors/carpeted bedrooms)

You'll still want to weekly vacuum.

I'm not sure who hungers for cords more though, Robot vacuum or cats.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Sorry if this is re-treading tired ground, but does anyone know what a rough quote should be to hire movers for a move in the range of 10 miles or less? It's not a lot of items, mostly large ones like a TV, couch, and bed, but after dealing with the hassle of moving a few times I'd rather get some professional help. I've never dealt with it before but the best I can find online is to budget at least $500 (and presumably 10-20% as cash tips?).

I have no idea if COVID is going to throw and wrench into things either, I imagine it introduces difficulty for getting anyone to come inspect your place for a proper quote at any rate. I've still got a few months to figure it all out so I'm trying to budget what it'll wind up costing me once I need to move out.

Southern California (Orange / LA county) for reference.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I don’t usually love recommending apps, but I’ve had very good luck with LUGG here in the Bay Area. Reasonable costs, two people that can lift and haul show up with an appropriate vehicle for what you need, you meet them at secondary locale, direct th where to go, they drop where you ask. If it’s complicated, say 5+ flight walk up, sure, you’ll pay for their time but worth it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

TheOrange posted:

Sorry if this is re-treading tired ground, but does anyone know what a rough quote should be to hire movers for a move in the range of 10 miles or less? It's not a lot of items, mostly large ones like a TV, couch, and bed, but after dealing with the hassle of moving a few times I'd rather get some professional help. I've never dealt with it before but the best I can find online is to budget at least $500 (and presumably 10-20% as cash tips?).

I have no idea if COVID is going to throw and wrench into things either, I imagine it introduces difficulty for getting anyone to come inspect your place for a proper quote at any rate. I've still got a few months to figure it all out so I'm trying to budget what it'll wind up costing me once I need to move out.

Southern California (Orange / LA county) for reference.

I'm moving next week in SD and the best rate I found was 105/hr cash for two movers and double the rate for drive time.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Thanks for the info. What’s the appropriate amount to tip drivers or is that accounted for these days?

The only major limiting factor with my current place is an elevator, so hopefully it’d only take an hour or two to get my stuff out of here.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That I'm less familiar with. I'm planning a fifty dollar tip each, with more just in case things go nuts and it goes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

How do I get rid of ants?

Also why do I have ants?

I had 0, then over the course of 48 hours I now see like 5 at any given time.

And they are all in the bathroom.

My cooking/eating behavior hasn’t changed recently so it’s not like there’s a bunch of crumbs. And I don’t eat in the bathroom.