Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mode 7 posted:

Played through on Normal until I Game Over'd on the Stage 2 boss. Really, really loving gorgeous game, plays smoothly and the soundtrack so far has been great.

I absolutely love the weapon catch mechanic, feels incredibly satisfying to bounce a pipe off an enemy, catch it, turn around and smack down a second who was coming up behind you.

The riot shield guys in the second level are a pretty effective tutorial at the importance of using the defensive special to i-frame through damage, I'm still working on not getting too greedy with it though and I feel like it's a bit too easy to bust out the non-invulnerable offensive special if you're not careful and get demolished by an enemy interrupting you out of it from behind.

Yeah this game definitely uses enemies with super armor to make you actually play somewhat defensively, which is fine. The muay thai guys are significantly less frustrating than their SoR2 variants.

Galsias with spears i'm not so sure about, but i'll manage. Also the soundtrack has some real bangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Galsias with spears i'm not so sure about, but i'll manage.

That particular room in the dojo got some frustrated swearing out of me, not going to lie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is there a certain time of day the PlayStation Store is updated? Can't find this on mine yet.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

PC Game Pass version installing from the windows store for me, even though it's not showing in the Game Pass launcher yet.

Edit: No, it is on the app, just not in the New Releases section yet.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I can't find it anywhere on PC Game Pass or the Windows Store :saddowns:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I was playing this online co-op with my brother earlier and it was fine, but then after I dropped into a co-op with some random and everything was a complete slideshow

i don't know if it was the net or legit system slowdown but everything moved in chunks every couple of seconds

it was barely playable and super frustrating (playing on the lite)

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

the trick to landing from throws in SoR2 still works here; hold up+jump any time you're knocked in the air to land on your feet instead

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Deacon91 posted:

My go to games were SoR, The strike series (Jungle strike, Desert strike, Urban strike?) and a game called General Chaos, not sure how many of you played that game but god it was fun so many hours of enjoyment out of the Sega. I got turned into a Sega fanboy after that and still own every Sega console to this day other then the Game Gear which my dad randomly gave away to a family down the street while I was at school because their children weren't well off and he felt sorry for them. I still have bitterness haha.

General Chaos was great, probably a quarter of all of my childhood arguments were about whether it was better to pick the two directly-controllable soldiers or the 5 RTS-style soldier group. (Hint: it was the 2 soldiers)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just started installing from the PC Game Pass app, you have to search for the game it doesn't show up otherwise. It's dumb.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

It's not available in the Nintendo eShop yet and that is making me sad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just got through the game on Normal as Blaze and started hitting B/A rank near the end, so there's lots of room to grow. Now getting into Hard. The combat feels great and surprisingly complex, I'm sure people will be showing of 400+ damage air combos on each character within the next couple days. I was skeptical at first but Streets of Rage is back, baby!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mode 7 posted:

I absolutely love the weapon catch mechanic, feels incredibly satisfying to bounce a pipe off an enemy, catch it, turn around and smack down a second who was coming up behind you.

oh drat I didn't know you could catch the weapon in air. I've been staying mostly in the dark for this and I guess that's why there's a separate grab button.

snackcakes posted:

:same:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

snackcakes posted:

Still not on PSN (here in Canada anyhow) either, what the hell

E: oh wait you have to search specifically for it. I stand by my'what the hell'

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 30, 2020

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's available in the EU Nintendo eshop, I even managed to find one online session which was super laggy and had the weird effect of both players losing a life every time we went through a screen transition. Then the other player paused and the game froze.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
US Eshop should have the game in one hour

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game owns bones. And just like when I played the original Streets of Rage I'm god awful and can't get past the second or third stage :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Game loving owns, holy poo poo this game loving owns, everything is so smooth and fast and punchy. Bouncing around all over the place as Cherry = extremely fun.

Deacon91 posted:

Man everything you said you nailed 100%, thinking back to those times with mates sitting in bean bags and laying on the floor. One of the guys from school had a game guide magazine which he took from his older brother who was away for the weekend so we only had access to it for a short time. We used an electric typewriter and typed the guide out word for word so we could put the magazine back unnoticed so we didn't get beaten up haha. Toe jam & Earl was our back up game. Good times, bloody good times.

lmao this also owns, what a pro move :allears:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just bought the game on the eshop. Thinking of taking that early lunch...

I want to beat up dudes with my fists.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I got the game on US eShop half an hour ago but i had to search manually

G-LOC also don’t forget

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Did anyone get the idea that Estel might be a secret unlockable character or has that already been deconfirmed?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Game feels super smooth and snappy, but I have to be missing something as Blaze and especially Axel -- they feel like they're not even playing the same game as Floyd and Cherry, whose tools are absolutely NUTS. It's like the enemies were all calibrated for the dashes and ranged grabs of the latter two so the former are stuck playing in a game that's a lot faster and meaner than them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Only played a little so far but the game feels great, the only things that are missing are Practice Mode and/or a complete move list, because I noticed that a lot of characters have hidden moves.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

lmao the left wall of the cargo ship boss has a great poster

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AdmiralViscen posted:

I got the game on US eShop half an hour ago but i had to search manually

G-LOC also don’t forget

Just got SoR 4 now to get through the rest of the work day and WTF I didn't realize G-LOC was out today

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AdmiralViscen posted:

G-LOC also don’t forget

I picked this up also. I think this is the first time the arcade version of G-LOC Air Battle has been re-released in some form. The Sega Genesis version was ported by Probe, a few years before they did the Genesis ports of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. Only two more Sega Ages games on the current Switch iteration left from what was announced: Thunder Force AC and Herzog Zwei. Unless Sega announces some more games in the near future, I think it'll end at 19 games, which is a shame. I assume the market for classic Sega games that aren't just Sega Genesis collections is just like three people including me.

As for Streets of Rage 4, it rules. I love how using the special attack button thing drains your health but you can get it back by attacking and not getting hit for a bit. I rarely used them in SOR2 but I'm using them more frequently here. Also it took me a while to learn that standard attack doesn't pick up items, and that picking up items is a separate keybind. That was messing me up for a while there.

Adam's back, bay-bay

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also it took me a while to learn that standard attack doesn't pick up items, and that picking up items is a separate keybind. That was messing me up for a while there.

You can turn on Legacy Mode in the settings.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

yo what the gently caress (Level 5 boss) Barbon has been working out and got some training huh :staredog: Dude put me in the ground

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Minus the final boss he was the hardest in the game for me by far.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Two levels in (only C-ranked on normal though, drat my 25+ year muscle memory that I need to unlearn). Thoroughly enjoying it, and it seems like there's lots to learn here about timing and counters so it should keep me going for ages. But to be honest it had me on board at:

I thought my single-button Star Move define wasn't working but you need to specifically enable whatever alternate mapping you give it, which seemed a bit odd.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Game is almost done downloading hell loving yes let's goooooooo

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Had a good time on my first play through with Blaze. Messed around with all the other main characters and they each feel fun. Looking forward to trying out the harder difficulties and am curious to see what changes in them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ms Adequate posted:

yo what the gently caress (Level 5 boss) Barbon has been working out and got some training huh :staredog: Dude put me in the ground

Had a hard time with that boss on my first (normal) run as Axel, but on my second (hard) run using Adam I was able to cheese most of that fight by just throwing him into the left side wall and juggle him with combos which coincidentally is also how I was able to cheese the level 3 boss. Though in the level 3 boss fight, the lower left side wall has a bed of nails or something hanging there, and you can juggle her into that thing for ridiculous amounts of damage.

Jack Trades posted:

You can turn on Legacy Mode in the settings.

Now I'm wondering if that'll mess me up more now that I've gotten used to the new method. I'll find out soon enough!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I almost finished the game on normal with Cherry without getting a game over but I was one hit from beating the final boss and I died :( I then was so demoralized I couldn't get past the first screen of the final level so I had to use assists. Oh well.

The game feels snappier than old Streets of Rage but I was playing as Cherry. Everyone else is just so slow in comparison.

The one thing I don't like is how muted all of the sound and music is. It's super quiet and not loud and brash like it should be. Its like Halo Reach PC levels of muffled.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the new juggles and wallbounces are super meaty, I love it. Axel/Blaze/Cherry all feel like they have certain rhythms but Floyd has a lot of bad matchups/fights imo. He seems like he'd be a good 2-player choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anyone been completely unable to join an online game on PC? Playing through Gamepass.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

exquisite tea posted:

I just got through the game on Normal as Blaze and started hitting B/A rank near the end, so there's lots of room to grow. Now getting into Hard. The combat feels great and surprisingly complex, I'm sure people will be showing of 400+ damage air combos on each character within the next couple days. I was skeptical at first but Streets of Rage is back, baby!

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShakingDepressedPigImGlitch

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Played two levels of this with the GF during lunch and had a blast. I love how there’s no ironic “lol aren’t the nineties wild” bits to it.

What’s the deal with throws in this game? You just have to walk into an enemy?

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 30, 2020

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

General Chaos was great, probably a quarter of all of my childhood arguments were about whether it was better to pick the two directly-controllable soldiers or the 5 RTS-style soldier group. (Hint: it was the 2 soldiers)

There was a kick starter by the creators a few years back, I was so unhappy it never reached its goals.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like I have to get reeeeal close to grab. Like closer than I used to back with SoR 1.

Not that I specifically remember the "grab range" of a game 25 years ago but I remember grabbing all the time back then and I don't think it was this difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

fadam posted:

Played two levels of this with the GF during lunch and had a blast. I love how there’s no ironic “lol aren’t the nineties wild” bits to it.

What’s the deal with throws in this game? You just have to walk into an enemy?

Walk into the enemy*, then you have some options
Attack - usually does an attack that throws the enemy forward
Back + Attack - usually does a throw that places them behind you
Forward + Attack x3 - a 3 hit combo
Jump - switches sides with the enemy to get their back, and allows a backthrow, most damaging
Jump x2 - vaults off the enemy to give you a flying attack

The grapplers like Floyd, if you press jump, will jump with the enemy. Press attack in mid-air to to do a very damaging attack
Because Forward + Attack x3 keeps the enemy held until the third one, you can do stuff like forward + attack x2, then flip over for a backthrow or any of the other options
* Floyd's forward+special is a long range grab
* Floyd can walk around with an enemy in his hands, and if you walk into a second enemy, you'll bash their heads together
* Floyd can do something like forward + attack x2, jump, attack, then in mid-air do his mid-air special, etc. etc.