Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

e: I just remembered that there's a spoiler thread, so I can take this there instead if needs be.

In addition to what ImpAtom said, there are links to interviews with the creators over in the spoiler thread if you want a little more insight into what they were intending and why things are presented how they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Kitase basically said in a recent interview 'expect the rest of the story to play along with the original' though, those who are expecting an entirely different adventure or direction may be disappointed.

quote:

Kitase: I’ve talked about this extensively with Nomura, but I’m sure fans of the original are expecting to revisit familiar locations and scenes, so we have strong feelings to not stray away from that. From here on out, we’re not drastically changing the story and making it into something completely different than the original. Even though it’s a Remake, please assume that FF7 will still be FF7 as usual.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 30, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

cast charged tempest more :shopkeeper:

Charged Tempest doesn't seem to really do enough extra damage to justify the charge time? Maybe I don't quite get it but it seems really lame compared to the other triangle abilities.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I didn't get much use out of most of Aerith's abilities, but Arcane Ward is frigging hilarious. She is entirely capable of setting that up and then decking a boss in two spells, if the crits pan out.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If I offensively link a Lightning with Elemental and then also a Lightning with HP Absorbtion will I get minor heals for every attack or is that too good to be allowed?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

If I offensively link a Lightning with Elemental and then also a Lightning with HP Absorbtion will I get minor heals for every attack or is that too good to be allowed?

I haven't tried it but my guess is that even a lightning-elemental weapon attack is classified as a "basic attack" action and not a "use the Lightning materia" action, so it probably wouldn't work. I think when you link something like HP Absorption with a materia, it only applies when you actively use that materia. It does work with things like Deadly Dodge and Parry, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Twitter is firmly in the Tifa/Aerith club and I'm all for it

https://twitter.com/definitelyvita/status/1255939312803287040?s=20

close 2nd is Aerith/Chair

https://twitter.com/racheljpierce/status/1255552604832219137?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 30, 2020

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Harrow posted:

I haven't tried it but my guess is that even a lightning-elemental weapon attack is classified as a "basic attack" action and not a "use the Lightning materia" action, so it probably wouldn't work. I think when you link something like HP Absorption with a materia, it only applies when you actively use that materia. It does work with things like Deadly Dodge and Parry, though.

I just tried it and unfortunately it doesn't work.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

Long story short: The ending's point is "We are no longer protected by being a remake, so characters who previously lived are not assured to and characters who died (Aerith) are also not assured to." The entire premise of the ghosts is that they are making sure FF7's plot happens exactly like it did in the original with no deviations. With them destroyed things may go differently. It's basically like how the Star Trek reboot made an explanation for why everything was different via time travel.

But... did they -really- need to have you fight a time traveling giant heartless for them to convey this point though? If events differ a little bit, just saying “this is a remake but it won’t be an exact 1:1 of FF7” gets the point across and I think the audience is smart enough for that. With the way things are now, they ended with a pretty over-the-top ending where Kitase had to come out and explicitly assure people that the future installments won’t go off the rails despite the ending people just watched laying the groundwork for a massive derail.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like others have said, I think this was their “Narada going back in time to destroy to Kelvin so we have an excuse to be a little freeform with canon”, if we’re going with Star Trek 09 comparisons. I just hope it doesn’t pull an Into Darkness...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MechaX posted:

But... did they -really- need to have you fight a time traveling giant heartless for them to convey this point though? If events differ a little bit, just saying “this is a remake but it won’t be an exact 1:1 of FF7” gets the point across and I think the audience is smart enough for that. With the way things are now, they ended with a pretty over-the-top ending where Kitase had to come out and explicitly assure people that the future installments won’t go off the rails despite the ending people just watched laying the groundwork for a massive derail.

It depends what they do with the groundwork they've laid. If part 2 ends with Cloud dead and Aerith leading the party to the Promised Land then we might have a problem. If the events of the original game are toyed with and remixed that's fine. If they can think of an interesting way to explore the premise outside of the original plot then great!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MechaX posted:

I think the wanted to more directly address the high-concept idea of struggling against the expectations of remaking a hugely influential piece of media, to which countless people have attached a huge amount of emotional investment. Yes, they could've just changed things and not said "boo" about it, and it probably would've been fine. But you might've gotten people getting all upset about those changes and how the developers weren't staying "true" to the "real story", so they kind of addressed those criticism head-on before they were made.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hard mode Hell House sure is a thing. :stare:

And I have to do this fight a second time to get all the manuscripts from chapter 9.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thundarr posted:

And I have to do this fight a second time to get all the manuscripts from chapter 9.

I don't think you need to finish the chapter for the manuscripts to save, if that's all you're after.

EDIT: Oh wait the quests are after the boss fight. That's a shame.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Those tonberries that it belches out? Yeah kill them immediately

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's not too bad if you fight conservatively and load Aerith with all the four element spells and keep her atb charged.

The two magic ups I shoved on her helped the damage output significantly too...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Those tonberries that it belches out? Yeah kill them immediately

Yeah, that was an immediate "Use Infinity's End here" moment. And luckily I tossed a Planet's Protection immediately before the other surprise guests arrived.

I appreciate that Scotch both recognizes and remarks upon Bahamut showing up mid-fight.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Kitase basically said in a recent interview 'expect the rest of the story to play along with the original' though, those who are expecting an entirely different adventure or direction may be disappointed.

i don't know if i trust this statement, but there's nothing we can do but wait and see i guess.

i'm going to be in my 40s by the time this whole thing ends. i hate that i now have to think about that sort of thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So Sedative and Adrenaline. Anyone use these? They inflict Sedate and Fury on you and cure the opposite ailment. Sedate makes you take less damage(!) but your Limit charges slower, Fury is the opposite. In the OG Fury was ridiculous but in this one I think Sedate might be more useful, depending on how much damage it negates.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I wish you could still use (non-healing) items in Hard Mode, when it might actually be useful to use some of the random-rear end items the game has. Alas, I will never Big Bomb something again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I mean probably not but it's also a JRPG and you can't really end with a fight with Motoball.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

I mean probably not but it's also a JRPG and you can't really end with a fight with Motoball.

If I hadn't been spoiled I would have assumed that they introduced Roche to serve as a credible antagonist (elite SOLDIER) that would then also be part of the highway fight as a suitable ending to one act of the story

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I hadn't been spoiled I would have assumed that they introduced Roche to serve as a credible antagonist (elite SOLDIER) that would then also be part of the highway fight as a suitable ending to one act of the story

I assumed they were going to end with a Jenova fight as the final boss, because the first Jenova fight in the original game kinda comes out of nowhere in between comic relief segments on a boat so having an earlier one as a capstone on part 1 would've fit right in. I was thinking too small :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone was saying they just turned FF7 Remake into a Yakuza game and I hope that continues. I watched a review of it and they had everyone in Japanese and man, Roche is actually just Yakuza 1 Majima.

I hope the next part has karaoke too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cloud-chan...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Everyone is thirsty for Cloud and I'm loving it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cloud-chan...

Old boy wants to smoke a sherm with Cloud, hell yes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm starting to have my doubts over whether Square can make Red, Yuffie, and Vincent as fun to play as Tifa is. Tifa, gameplay wise, is hands down my favorite once you see the power of combos.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gologle posted:

I'm starting to have my doubts over whether Square can make Red, Yuffie, and Vincent as fun to play as Tifa is. Tifa, gameplay wise, is hands down my favorite once you see the power of combos.

I'll set up Tifa and trigger one of her actions, then I remember I forgot to Assess so I'll swap over (usually Cloud) and oops it's dead.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Yuffie will use Ninja mechanics from FFXIV, but with only the triangle button to use mudra, Yuffie will only be able to throw her shuriken weapon at enemies, or spawn a rabbit on her head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

It will be interesting to see how they diversify the characters with a wider roster.

My honest bet is that you'll end up with basically two characters filling each niche.

Cloud/Cid: Beefy close-range damage dealer with defensive abilities.
Aerith/Red XIII (magic-boosting abilities)
Tifa/Yuffie (fast attacking combos building stagger meter)
Barret w/gun/Vincent: Long-range combat interspersed with big rear end damage.

I think Cid would fill the Cloud role because assuming they keep things relatively close he's going to take over your party leadership for a good chunk of gameplay and that way you won't lose the Cloud playstyle entirely while he's out of action.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

How long does a hard mode run take compared to the first run through if you like, skip all the cutscenes and stuff? Is it decently shorter?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Caesar Saladin posted:

How long does a hard mode run take compared to the first run through if you like, skip all the cutscenes and stuff? Is it decently shorter?

Hard took me about 20 hours but I watched some scenes I liked (basically all of wall market). Most battle are over the instant they start because of always having ATB for a multislash opener or Aerith spell barrage.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It will be interesting to see how they diversify the characters with a wider roster.

My honest bet is that you'll end up with basically two characters filling each niche.

Cloud/Cid: Beefy close-range damage dealer with defensive abilities.
Aerith/Red XIII (magic-boosting abilities)
Tifa/Yuffie (fast attacking combos building stagger meter)
Barret w/gun/Vincent: Long-range combat interspersed with big rear end damage.

I think Cid would fill the Cloud role because assuming they keep things relatively close he's going to take over your party leadership for a good chunk of gameplay and that way you won't lose the Cloud playstyle entirely while he's out of action.

cait sith is more likely to be the magic guy than red

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just lost 90 minutes to that loving air duct glitch. Googled it while stuck and it's extremely common and known about since launch... no patches to fix it yet.

90 minutes of simulator battles, materia management, weapon upgrading, an extra 2 levels per character. I was so glad it was done with and i was super excited to progress the story a bit more. Knowing that it was a total waste of time is infuriating.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna see Cait Sith as a full-on beast master type class. Triangle is manipulate, and is basically just Cait Sith jumping from the moogle and riding on the enemies.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I would like it if instead of just his Megaphone, Cait Siths equipment upgrades change what he's riding on, his physical attack one could be a big behemoth plushie, his defensive one could be a adamantoise plushie, &c.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cubicle gangster posted:

I just lost 90 minutes to that loving air duct glitch. Googled it while stuck and it's extremely common and known about since launch... no patches to fix it yet.

90 minutes of simulator battles, materia management, weapon upgrading, an extra 2 levels per character. I was so glad it was done with and i was super excited to progress the story a bit more. Knowing that it was a total waste of time is infuriating.

What's the air duct glitch? Anyway to avoid it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It seems like there may even be multiple air duct glitches. I've heard people looking through the vents and not being able to back out of it. For me, I took a wrong turn in the vent trying to check for treasure, and it would NOT let me make the correct turn after that. I could only back up or turn back down the wrong path.

Definitely save before going into the ducts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

RatHat posted:

What's the air duct glitch? Anyway to avoid it?

In chapter 16 when you're in the air duct - do not eavesdrop on any rooms other than the essential story one, otherwise you can't press back and continue. You just end up stuck looking down into a room with random people in unable to do anything but pause and go back to the main menu.

And despite the game having an autosave, it doesn't save after simulator or VR battles. The air duct is the first moment after you get the opportunity to do not only a new simulator with 6 battles in, but also likley some new VR summon fights.

90% of the time I had available to play tonight was wiped out. I have no patience for games that waste my time.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 1, 2020