Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

dorium posted:

so every techno record I've ever bought lol. Tho i do find some tracks that play better slow/fast. I just put the speed the album is meant to be played on a tiny sticker and leave it on the outer sleeve now.

Yeah, that's half the fun. Realizing after a track has been on for like 20 minutes that it was meant to be at 45.
But it's too late at that point, the track is ingrained in your mind as a downtempo/chill with just the right amount of ambient.

hexwren posted:

the part of that that really gets me is when all the track names are on one side of the record and there's just a graphic label on the other side - my instinct is to put the track-name side on first, but that's usually side b

I like the ones that just say "this side" and "that side"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hexwren posted:

in unrelated news, gently caress anyone who presses a record but doesn't make it blindingly clear what speed it's meant to run at

Actually, the cooler thing to do is to have a record like this:

quote:

"Multi Axis, Multi Speed. Soundtracks designed for play at 16, 33, 45, and 78. Engineered to permit remixing at home. Maximal volume suggested. This record is absolutely unbreakable."

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

:eyepop:

Wasn’t 16 exclusively used by radio stations for playing back recorded programs in the days before magnetic tape? Nobody has a turntable with 16, right?

Wiggity
Oct 22, 2016

Old school cool
Now with all of the millenial bullshit

I LOVE welding on things where chlorinated solvents are present - Phosgene ams your friend!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like the ones that just say "this side" and "that side"

My favorite is when side 1/A and 4/D are on one disc and side 2/B and 3/C are on the other, though it is pretty rare it happens.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey, speaking of overpriced classic rock albums why are all old pressings of 70s Neil Young albums so expensive? I was looking to replace my copy of Tonight's the Night which is a mid/late 2000s reissue (from before the fancy pants one he put out fiveish years ago) because it's a terrible pressing. All kinds of crackles despite not being scratched at all. Any and all vintage copies are about 25 bucks on the low end. Many of them are considerably more expensive. What's up with that?

hexwren posted:

the part of that that really gets me is when all the track names are on one side of the record and there's just a graphic label on the other side - my instinct is to put the track-name side on first, but that's usually side b

I have a copy of Joy Division's Closer and a previous owner wrote a and b on the inner sleeve with the track listings. Except they were wrong about which side was which.

pwn posted:

Wasn’t 16 exclusively used by radio stations for playing back recorded programs in the days before magnetic tape? Nobody has a turntable with 16, right?

I've never even seen a 16 RPM record in all my years of collecting. From what I know that speed was used mainly for non-music like lectures, interviews, and instructional recordings.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 30, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Hey, speaking of overpriced classic rock albums why are all old pressings of 70s Neil Young albums so expensive? I was looking to replace my copy of Tonight's the Night which is a mid/late 2000s reissue (from before the fancy pants one he put out fiveish years ago) because it's a terrible pressing. All kinds of crackles despite not being scratched at all. Any and all vintage copies are about 25 bucks on the low end. Many of them are considerably more expensive. What's up with that?

I have a copy of Joy Division's Closer and a previous owner wrote a and b on the inner sleeve with the track listings. Except they were wrong about which side was which.

I've never even seen a 16 RPM record in all my years of collecting. From what I know that speed was used mainly for non-music like lectures, interviews, and instructional recordings.

On second thought, I think I may have been confusing 16 RPM with 16” records w/r/t radio station use. Either way, both are obscure formats

I received a big box of goodness from Needlejuice Records. Some of you may know that it is run by Goon weirdojace, and their first release was that crazy King Gizzard record from 2017 (their fourth record that year,) for which they freely released the vinyl and CD masters so that anyone could press their own copies. Needlejuice had a swell sale on what would have been RSD weekend, and I bought a few items I’d been eyeballing the past couple years.

I like having multiple formats, and the CDs and tapes were really cheap. I appreciate the inclusion of a virgin hype sticker ♥️

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Booo, I wanted some poo poo on there but wasn't buying it because of the prices.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I've never even seen a 16 RPM record in all my years of collecting.
Absolutely surprised Jack White hasn't released one. Yet.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

CPL593H posted:

The Ditch trilogy is always at raised prices. I think it didn’t sell great so there were less copies? At least that’s what I’ve always heard.

I have two copies of Unknown Pleasures, one of which has the labels flipped, so I’ll literally never know which side I’m supposed to be putting on.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

pwn posted:

Some 60s turntables had a setting for 16 even though it was a hardly used out of date format even then, and that record came out in 1979 so there probably would have been a few floating around at the time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pwn posted:

:whatup:

That's on a crappy BSR changer I have.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Senator Giroux posted:

The Ditch trilogy is always at raised prices. I think it didn’t sell great so there were less copies? At least that’s what I’ve always heard.

I have two copies of Unknown Pleasures, one of which has the labels flipped, so I’ll literally never know which side I’m supposed to be putting on.

Yeah I checked out that album on discogs and it doesn't have 90 million pressings like his more popular albums but even stuff like Harvest and after the Gold Rush are going to 20-30 bucks. It's not like either of those are in short supply. I was lucky enough to score a copy of On the Beach a few years back at a flea market. I got it with an early UK press of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables and a couple other cheap records for thrity bucks all together so it was a good score. I also picked up Time Fades Away for about five bucks but that was about ten years ago. With that people are charging for the old releases I might as well just get some of those reissues because they're actually cheaper if you buy them used and Neil Young is a huge audio nerd so I'm sure they're good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wiggity posted:

My favorite is when side 1/A and 4/D are on one disc and side 2/B and 3/C are on the other, though it is pretty rare it happens.

My least favorite is when you get a single white label that just says "C" and you're like "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?" because you don't know how many records are actually in the set.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

wa27 posted:

:whatup:

That's on a crappy BSR changer I have.

:hfive:

Mine’s from one of those old school (literally) turntables used in classrooms back in the 70s and 80s.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Senator Giroux posted:

No run-out etchings?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Wiggity posted:

That was the standard side arrangement for drop-automatic record changers; I think every vintage 2 (or more) LP set that I own has that setup.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Darthemed posted:

No run-out etchings?

There are, it’s more that I have two copies and at the time didn’t realize the labels are messed up so I would grab one and get really confused. I put the wrong one in storage so I wouldn’t.

Plus, there’s a lot of weird stuff with Unknown Pleasures and it doesn’t help that the sides are labeled Inside and Outside, and that the labels get flipped sometimes.

Note on one pressing:
“Side A is Outside (black label) and Side B is Inside (white label). Outside and Inside got mixed up by the (unknown) metalworker, assigning Outside to B and Inside to A in the runouts.”

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pwn posted:

On second thought, I think I may have been confusing 16 RPM with 16” records w/r/t radio station use. Either way, both are obscure formats

I received a big box of goodness from Needlejuice Records. Some of you may know that it is run by Goon weirdojace, and their first release was that crazy King Gizzard record from 2017 (their fourth record that year,) for which they freely released the vinyl and CD masters so that anyone could press their own copies. Needlejuice had a swell sale on what would have been RSD weekend, and I bought a few items I’d been eyeballing the past couple years.

I like having multiple formats, and the CDs and tapes were really cheap. I appreciate the inclusion of a virgin hype sticker ♥️

I actually didn't know Needlejuice was run by a goon but I did buy that Sunday Television album awhile back and it's pretty decent.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm not sure why Neil Young's records are expensive online, maybe he's considered the godfather of audiophiles or something?

For as many copies of Harvest that sold back in the day I rarely see it while crate digging. It took me years to even find a copy (in the wild) that wasn't trashed and under $25.

You can get lucky though. I found On The Beach and Zuma for $5 each at an antique mall last year.

I want thrift stores and dirt malls to open up again :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I'm not sure why Neil Young's records are expensive online, maybe he's considered the godfather of audiophiles or something?

For as many copies of Harvest that sold back in the day I rarely see it while crate digging. It took me years to even find a copy (in the wild) that wasn't trashed and under $25.

You can get lucky though. I found On The Beach and Zuma for $5 each at an antique mall last year.

I want thrift stores and dirt malls to open up again :(

That's the thing about Harvest. I can't even guess how many copies I've seen all over the place but they always look like someone used it as a frisbee in a parking lot. Still that album probably sold a few million copies so I doubt good copies are a rarity. My guess as to why the prices are so high is the same as everything else: boomers. I did find a nice pristine copy at a flea market a few years back and I asked the guy to hold onto it for me until I came back the next week which he said he would do. Then he sold it anyway.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/arts/music/electric-recording-co-vinyl.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

quote:

In making “Mozart à Paris,” for example, a near-perfect simulacrum of a deluxe 1956 box set, Hutchison spent months scouring London’s haberdashers to find the right strand of silk for a decorative cord. The seven-disc set is Electric Recording’s most expensive title, at about $3,400 — and one of the few in its catalog that has not sold out.

:captainpop:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My PUSA vinyl shipped. That must the the quickest kickstarter end -> time to ship in history.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The Walrus posted:

My PUSA vinyl shipped. That must the the quickest kickstarter end -> time to ship in history.

I got mine a week ago, I was floored by how quick it showed up.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

CPL593H posted:

I mean you could arguably play most of Earths stuff at 16 rpm but there’s also this

https://www.discogs.com/Earth-Untitled/release/916084

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

THIS IS VERY COOL INFORMATION.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Cool. Sleepy time gorilla museum put on a rad show back in the day

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

But think of how much you can inflate the prices of these records on eBay if most people are afraid to leave the house!

We'll be lucky if this is over by fall never mind August. They're also saying that there could be a second outbreak in the winter during flu season. But it'll all be worth if I can buy a fifty dollar reissue of some classic rock album!

But but but the Odds and Sods re-release has a bonus extended cut of my favorite song! :saddowns: We'll have to wait and see how the whole covid thing shakes out when it gets closer to Record Store Day, but it has made me rethink how much do I reeeeeeally want that Parish Hall reissue, especially since I already got a decent boot CD of it. Sucks because this was the first year I was going to attend it.

Speaking of, new stuff!

I finally got the Windwaker Soundtrack CD, and chose this one over the Windwaker HD Sound Selection version from Club Nintendo for a couple of reasons. First the above one is two discs of all the game music including little 10 second clips like item fanfares and such whereas the the Sound Selection is just that: a curated collection of the longer songs of the game. Secondly a big US based eBay seller happened to have this new at the magic $40 price point. A good thing since word on the street is Japan has temporarily suspended EMS shipping to America so importing stuff will be a bigger pain for a while.

And as a bonus I now have this guy to stare at me from the shelf:

I like this silly cover art way too much.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I was getting something from a seller on discogs and took a look at what else they had and saw a 1970s Japanese reissue of Sonny Rollins’ Rollins Plays For Bird, complete with OBI strip and moon language liner notes. The price: less than $10 because the seller said it was warped.

I was willing to take a chance and see how badly warped it was, considering other copies of the record are north of $30.

Packaging looks great for a 40+ year old import.

As for that warp? Compare with that Stephen Arnold record I posted on the last page and see for yourself.

Conclusion: :10bux: well spent

Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 1, 2020

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

OBI strip

I don't know how this started but I see it everywhere and I loving hate it. obi is a word, not an acronym

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
My nerd record store day rant is that they never released the Anamanaguchi Scott Pilgrim video game soundtrack after that and it is stupidly expensive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

And as a bonus I now have this guy to stare at me from the shelf:

I like this silly cover art way too much.

Oh hey, have you seen Lisztomania? If you like Roger Daltrey you'll love that movie.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Oh hey, have you seen Lisztomania? If you like Roger Daltrey you'll love that movie.

I finally did see it and I did not like it actually, Tommy the movie is way better. Largely didn't like Lisztomania because it went way off the rails in like the last quarter and the writing wasn't great to begin with. The acting however was fine, including from Daltrey himself, so I blame Ken Russell's script. Still nabbed a copy of the soundtrack on vinyl though and am kinda hoping it works out like the soundtrack to Flash Gordon in that it's better without the movie in front of you as a distraction. Pope Ringo was a brilliant idea though, makes me laugh a bit when I think about it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I finally did see it and I did not like it actually, Tommy the movie is way better. Largely didn't like Lisztomania because it went way off the rails in like the last quarter and the writing wasn't great to begin with. The acting however was fine, including from Daltrey himself, so I blame Ken Russell's script. Still nabbed a copy of the soundtrack on vinyl though and am kinda hoping it works out like the soundtrack to Flash Gordon in that it's better without the movie in front of you as a distraction. Pope Ringo was a brilliant idea though, makes me laugh a bit when I think about it.

You are the President of Wrongsylvania because Flash Gordon rules.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

You are the President of Wrongsylvania because Flash Gordon rules.

Guess I'll have to be, that movie was played too straight for my tastes, sorry.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Rick Wakeman didn't really like the final product, it seems, and released one of the rear end ugliest album covers to be found of his own version, based on master tapes he found in his garage.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Rick Wakeman didn't really like the final product, it seems, and released one of the rear end ugliest album covers to be found of his own version, based on master tapes he found in his garage.

I thought the link was going to be this cover which is almost as ugly. I thought about getting his more complete CD version but it can be a bit difficult to find, and I'm not in the mood to import at the moment, so I opted for the more available original record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Guess I'll have to be, that movie was played too straight for my tastes, sorry.

That movie was absolutely not played straight. It's campy as gently caress and most of the actors look like they're having a good time particularly Max Von Sydow (who outright said he took the role because it would be fun), Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

You know what's a really good Rick Wakeman score? Crimes of Passion. The movie also rules and if you like incredibly sleazy movies it's a must see. Anthony Perkins is in it and he plays a deranged street preacher who's always high on poppers. To really get into the role he went method and did a shitload of poppers when they were making the movie. Kathleen Turner plays a prostitute and in one scene she sodomizes a cop with his own nightstick.

But even without the movie the soundtrack album is really good.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Whoa, not sure how long it's been the case but Badbadnotgood has their collab album with Ghostface up on their Bandcamp.

Today's also another day that Bandcamp is waiving revenue sharing, so give your favorite starving musician some money!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Speaking of Bandcamp, the new MAN MAN album is out

https://manmanbandband.bandcamp.com/album/dream-hunting-in-the-valley-of-the-in-between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It was pretty weird to wake up today and find myself in a promo video for the new Man Man album, but I'll take my street cred wherever I can get it.