Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TCC is the best anti-drugs PSA imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

RIP Brewkakke

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3204587

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The impression I've got about TCC is that it probably does provide some good information for people who are going to do drugs anyway. It also seems to have a higher miss to hit ratio than other subforums, which is not great because if someone gives bad information in GWS the worst that's going to happen is someone has to eat a bad meal but if someone gives bad advice in TCC someone could die.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

His first post about them was in September 09, shocked at how long it stays in your system. It killed him two months later. It’s crazy how quick a habit like that can progress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is that the "I lost a week and ordered a piano" stuff?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Thots and Prayers posted:

It's not Monday anywhere in the world right now CSS. You'll have to trust us that you're on Day 6-7-8 of your trip.

Keep checking in here, please. Good times.

Phenazepam: It's not Monday anywhere in the world right now

e: ^^ it sure is!

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Oh Jesus. I had exactly two beers with some eyeballed phenaz on Sunday night. All I remember is hanging out with my roommate, listening to music, and playing video games.

I don't remember this, but I woke up from my benzo sleep for a little while on Monday morning (8:30, according to my computer) and went on eBay. I used the Buy It Now option for an Apple 3GS 16GB unlocked/jailbroken iPhone for $700!! gently caress! It looks like I didn't pay for it, though (or maybe I tried to and didn't have enough in my account), so I'm going to try and get out of it.

iPhones are sorta cool and it makes sense that I'd want one, but I also placed a $50$100.00 bid on a Vose & Sons Antique Grand Upright Piano and only lost because it wasn't enough for the reserve. Yeah. I've never known how to play an instrument in my life, don't have room for a piano, and a million other reasons why that bid was a bad idea.

Apparently, after placing those bids, I went back to sleep for another 8 or 9 hours.

I really can't get over how supremely retarded all of this was. And the topper is that the phenaz afterglow lasts so long that I didn't realize any of this until 36 hours after it happened!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Moon Slayer posted:

The impression I've got about TCC is that it probably does provide some good information for people who are going to do drugs anyway. It also seems to have a higher miss to hit ratio than other subforums, which is not great because if someone gives bad information in GWS the worst that's going to happen is someone has to eat a bad meal but if someone gives bad advice in TCC someone could die.

TCC had to make a rule specifically for "don't ask people to ID random pills you found on the floor", because people were finding horse oestrogen or dog laxatives in the street and then eating them because TCC told them to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if the longrunning conspiracy theory that some permabanned poster with a grudge is in a shadowy position of power at a tech company intentionally tanking the site's ranking in search and social media algorithms out of spite is actually just the result of having a publicly-readable section about firearms.
IIRC there actually was a long-running stretch where a banned furry working at Google was artificially tanking SA's search ranking. Apparently they eventually got caught and fired.

I wish I knew where I saw that so I could properly cite sources, but I definitely remember Lowtax talking about it at some vague point in the last half-decade or so.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The Kins posted:

IIRC there actually was a long-running stretch where a banned furry working at Google was artificially tanking SA's search ranking. Apparently they eventually got caught and fired.

I wish I knew where I saw that so I could properly cite sources, but I definitely remember Lowtax talking about it at some vague point in the last half-decade or so.

Lowtax ran some tests to prove he wasn't paranoid.
https://www.somethingawful.com/hogosphere/google-hates-sa/

I believe that the reveal that they caught the guy was either a tweet by him, or someone else who worked at google posted in GBS that they knew of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would really not surprise me that someone at Twitter is also holding a grudge against Lowtax for similar reasons.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Moo the cow posted:

I believe that the reveal that they caught the guy was either a tweet by him, or someone else who worked at google posted in GBS that they knew of it.

That is crazy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Moo the cow posted:

Those "tests" are from 2007, there's no screenshots to show what the results were like at the time but now most of them show SA right as the top result. Maybe back then the hentai and fleshlight banner ads on the front page articles kept it from showing up in regular search results, or all the links to other sites like Seanbaby and the forums triggered the part of the algorithm that keeps sites that try and manipulate search rankings from showing up, or maybe Google was keeping it from showing up but because the people who had been the victims of goon swarms had complained about it or the slur-filled chatlogs dunking in mentally ill people rather than an individual grudge.

Trying to find meaning in search engine decisions is the parable of the blind men trying to figure out what an elephant is times a million, and until people actually post the receipts there's no reason to take this more seriously than any other conspiracy theory blaming the algorithm and shadowbanning for why you aren't getting enough likes.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Nowadays TCC is constantly telling people not to do drugs. :shrug: I'd assume there's a survivor effect.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Moo the cow posted:

Ah, the famously reliable Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Moo the cow posted:

you know, when you are running tests to prove how sane you are...

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sweevo posted:

TCC had to make a rule specifically for "don't ask people to ID random pills you found on the floor", because people were finding horse oestrogen or dog laxatives in the street and then eating them because TCC told them to.

How is finding drugs on the ground common enough for this to be an issue.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

EasilyConfused posted:

Probably they fell off the back of a truck and down onto the ground.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

EasilyConfused posted:

Once when taking the city bus in Tallahassee I saw a guy find a rock of crack under his seat. He offered to split it with me as he assumed I was a fellow druggie. Why? Because he saw the dragon on my t-shirt and assumed it meant I was also into heroin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EasilyConfused posted:

I have found random pills on the ground at least a dozen times in the last year or two. If you’re out and about in a college town on a Saturday or Sunday morning you’ll definitely find little glassine baggies with pills in them surprisingly often. Sometimes it’s MDMA, sometimes it’s Zantac that someone probably sold as MDMA to make a quick buck. I always run them through a pill identifier for shits and giggles before I put them in the drug disposal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Once when taking the city bus in Tallahassee I saw a guy find a rock of crack under his seat. He offered to split it with me as he assumed I was a fellow druggie. Why? Because he saw the dragon on my t-shirt and assumed it meant I was also into heroin.

And? How was the crack?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

Lucky he didn't step on it, that could have led to his mother's back being broken.

Unobtainium
Dec 25, 2006
You want me to hack the planet? He wants me to hack the planet... Ok, *if* I decide to do this, I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets.

Inceltown posted:

In a cspam thread the other day we were talking about forums superstars who would make a better POTUS than Trump.

Now I've been around these parts in one form or another for a while so the likes of
- Caro
- Walk across the USA with a trolley
- Many more that I can't be bothered thinking hard about before I have my coffee

One stood the gently caress out for both it's Saga soundingness and the fact that I'd never heard of it before (or if I had had buried it so far it essentially gone). That was of a goon who went through a game methodically to take screenshots of every single time panties were flashed in the game.

Who was that and :wtc:

I'm pages behind so not sure if this has been answered, but iirc this was not a game but some female chipmunks cartoon.

Also shout-out to my fellow Puzzle Pirates from back in the day!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

EasilyConfused posted:

Ever played Space Station 13?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unobtainium posted:

I'm pages behind so not sure if this has been answered, but iirc this was not a game but some female chipmunks cartoon.

Also shout-out to my fellow Puzzle Pirates from back in the day!

The chipmunks movie from the 80s I believe. I watched it constantly as a kid and tbh there are a disturbing amount of panty shots as well as a musical number with the girl chipmunks in belly dancer outfits

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

EasilyConfused posted:

i once saw a friend of mine find a pill on the sidewalk, say "oh sweet" and eat it. i was like what the gently caress dude, he said "it's an ibuprofin, no big deal" and i said that the identity of the pill was not the point. this same guy once found a plastic bag on the subway with a small amount of white powder inside, and tested the contents on his gums. it was cocaine. it was good cocaine. it was really, REALLY good cocaine. he was on his way to a job interview. he did not do well in the job interview.

also i was once hard up for weed during spring break. my guy was out of town, my other guy was out of town, so i walked down to the corner to see if there were any street dealers around. no luck. on my way back home moping and hanging my head, i spotted a dime bag under a bush. thanks weed fairy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here's a nice smiley combo: :sueme::zak:

Edit: When did D&D get renamed to Advanced C-SPAM, and C-SPAM to D&D Basic? :laugh:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 30, 2020

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Clearly I should look down more often when I'm walking.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit: When did D&D get renamed to Advanced C-SPAM, and C-SPAM to D&D Basic? :laugh:

Long enough for a bunch of people to scream at each other about it in QCS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921719

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EasilyConfused posted:

Clearly I should look down more often when I'm walking.

you can find many drugs this way. my ex used to routinely bring be pills she found to look up on the internet for her

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EasilyConfused posted:

Just this past week I was walking not a block away from my house and saw a cute little velvet bag lying in the street. Picked it up because it was pretty, and inside there was a jar full of what I think was meth inside (idk, it looked like little shards of glass and powder, and given my neighborhood, that wouldn't be a surprise).

edit: tossed the jar, kept the pretty bag, in case you're wondering

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 30, 2020

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Back when I used to drive a cab I would find ludicrous volumes of coke, ketamine and burner phones at the end of a shift. Enough that I ended up finding a guy to resell for me, and for a while was basically a drug dealer. And this was in a quiet, well to do town with no real night life or student population. I can only assume Real Cities have knee-depth crack rocks in every public space at all times.

Never, ever found heroin, though. If a junkie drops a baggie it hits him in the back of the head, I swear.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Disgusting Coward posted:

Back when I used to drive a cab I would find ludicrous volumes of coke, ketamine and burner phones at the end of a shift. Enough that I ended up finding a guy to resell for me, and for a while was basically a drug dealer. And this was in a quiet, well to do town with no real night life or student population. I can only assume Real Cities have knee-depth crack rocks in every public space at all times.

Never, ever found heroin, though. If a junkie drops a baggie it hits him in the back of the head, I swear.

I imagine that if you hit the homeless they explode in a shower of drug baggies like rings after sonic gets hit

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's a nice smiley combo: :sueme::zak:

It confused the hell out of me when I was trying to find the TrumpLOL thread

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I imagine that if you hit the homeless they explode in a shower of drug baggies like rings after sonic gets hit

Finding bags of drugs on the street is the closest thing we have to video game powerups.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, sometimes the ground is only figurative and the pills you're needing to identify is your partner's stash after they died from an OD.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, sometimes the ground is only figurative and the pills you're needing to identify is your partner's stash after they died from an OD.

Found them on the ground after I stole the bottle from grandma's purse & dropped it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I put this post together for the funny quotes thread a while back but it's relevant now and definitely a saga:

Moon Slayer posted:

Looking at that gassed thread led me to the banlist for another permabanned goon whose reason for being banned was "dead." I checked out the thread and found a classic:

PCW posted:

Well since there are Spice and K2 threads I figured maybe some people may want to conduct some research on creating their own incense blends with some of these supplements. These products are not for intended for human consumption and will not be sold to anyone intending such purposes.

(He's selling drugs)

His last update was on August 22, 2010. A few days later ...

asimplenation posted:

Yeah I placed my order on Sat the 21st and haven't heard anything since then. I have sent him an email, a pm onsite and he hasn't bee on AIM in a few days. Clearly something is going on. I don't have a package from him, a tracking number from him or anything as of right now which is not typical of him.

Arrest that rear end! posted:

We have recieved cause to believe that PCW may have passed away. I'll update when there are more details.

asimplenation posted:

Uhhh I hope not cause I am out a ton of $$ then.

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah it's confirmed, I knew PCW in real life for about a year and a half and it's too early to say but I'm almost positive its a drug overdose (opiates). Here's a link to the obit:

asimplenation posted:

If you knew him in real life do you think there is any chance you can talk to his family or something about issuing people refunds? Also that link requires a paid subscription could you post a screenshot or a different link?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

VanSandman posted:

Ever played Space Station 13?

Just lol if you find floorpills in ss13 and don't eat them

What I'm saying is I'm bad at ss13

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I put this post together for the funny quotes thread a while back but it's relevant now and definitely a saga:

(He's selling drugs)

His last update was on August 22, 2010. A few days later ...

I love this so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Honky Dong Country posted:

Just lol if you find floorpills in ss13 and don't eat them

What I'm saying is I'm bad at ss13

That's playing SS13 as intended

It's eating mystery floorpills in real life that is dumb and bad and worthy of derision.