Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh thats just them hatching from the eggs in the fridge :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

I found a dairy farm with live cows, so I looked up the mechanics and apparently wolves will spontaneously generate from decaying cow poo poo.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I'm currently in the process of clearing out a medium town and it's rather weird how many random animals are running around inside of house and such. Like I bust my way into a fully sealed house and when I pop into the small bedroom three baby chicks and a goose hang out in there. Things along this line have happened enough times for me to take notice. I can understand the random animals in the streets but inside of closed houses it's a bit ridiculous

I found a family of giant albino penguins in the basement of a random house not too long ago. Scared the poo poo out of me because with all the noise they were making I thought this otherwise bare basement was chock full of dead assholes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It’s the Cataclysm, maaannn, weird poo poo just happens sometimes...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Stripped off all the armor from the military vehicle to use later. Added two squares of wood armor and two squares of wood ram to the front, but the forage is getting thin enough around here I think I need to move on.

Oh man, I almost forgot, I should take a detour to the helicopter crash and see what I can salvage.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Leal posted:

Oh thats just them hatching from the eggs in the fridge :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It’s the Cataclysm, maaannn, weird poo poo just happens sometimes...
Given the nature of the game I'm torn between both statements :v:

If you instal a minifridge into your car of choice do you also need an electro control unit to not have it drain power when you don't need it?

Also, can you fit the corpse of a cow into the fridge?(asking for a friend)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
A mini fridge's volume capacity is like 75. You could fit a lot of meat in there but not a whole cow. Plus I think if you want to preserve it long enough to actually use all of it you'd need a freezer more then a fridge.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's more about preserving it or its parts long enough to keep them good while I spend a few days canning it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

Hate to make such a low quality post but I haven't played CDDA in about three years and suddenly I'm feeling the itch, is there a quick overview anywhere of stuff that's changed?

Now there's loot EVERYWHERE, you can't start with 20 Dex anymore, but you can also crouch

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
So the launcher comes with a giant list of mods but they don't show up during world gen? :confused:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

It's more about preserving it or its parts long enough to keep them good while I spend a few days canning it

A cow contains a ludicrous amount of meat and fat. You want a full-sized fridge.
(Look in the construction menu if you have Aftershock)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

From the makers of the Lifty, the Foldy and the Lighty comes a new product for your needs in a new world!

The Chargy!

It actually has a storage battery so it's not working at a snails pace. Eventually I'm going to get around to scrapping my electric car for the upgraded panels and then I'll add a few more frames with panels and another swap slot to recharge storage batteries. Infinite power is pretty neat

If I understand the power system right then I should be able to attach a heavy duty cable to this station and could then connect it to a "vehicle" I've built inside the house?

The Lone Badger posted:

A cow contains a ludicrous amount of meat and fat. You want a full-sized fridge.
(Look in the construction menu if you have Aftershock)
Yeah it has a crap-ton of raw materials. But I'm playing vanilla so no luck with that type of fridge then. Dunno, maybe I'll build a couple of mini fridges hooked to a bunch of storage batteries. I mean they only would need to run for a few days

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 1, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

From the makers of the Lifty, the Foldy and the Lighty comes a new product for your needs in a new world!

The Chargy!

It actually has a storage battery so it's not working at a snails pace. Eventually I'm going to get around to scrapping my electric car for the upgraded panels and then I'll add a few more frames with panels and another swap slot to recharge storage batteries. Infinite power is pretty neat

If I understand the power system right then I should be able to attach a heavy duty cable to this station and could then connect it to a "vehicle" I've built inside the house?

Yeah it has a crap-ton of raw materials. But I'm playing vanilla so no luck with that type of fridge then. Dunno, maybe I'll build a couple of mini fridges hooked to a bunch of storage batteries. I mean they only would need to run for a few days

Make sure you have all the required tools to do a full butchery on a cow. You will need

* good knife
* long rope
* tree OR butchery rack
* leather tarp OR table
* hacksaw OR wood aaw

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks but I'm already aware. But the first time I did it I didn't know about the saw and had to drive back to base to get it :doh:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
FYI vitamin defficencies don't do anything currently, that code has been bugged for a long time.

The alerts still happen though and Ive never had issues outside calcium. multivotamons work fine as long as you don't eat them by the handfull.

Anyone make oxyacetyline? For some reason my oxygen cylinders don't work for crafting it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Decided to start injecting serums into my rear end. Started with Ursine and Cattle. What are you all's favorite mutation trees?

I think I'd really like bird were it not for the carry capacity malus

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Im currently going for Arcana dragon, along with some alpha, will probably take the magiclysm trees if I can find the books on it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Also having injected Cattle and Ursine, am I locking myself out of other trees potentially? Or would a fresh injection from a new mutation tree just automatically overwrite anything it's categorically opposed to?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You remain flexible until you break through the 'threshold' (you get a message about this). You are then soft-locked to that mutation line - you can consume other mutagens and get mutations from them, but you can never cross the threshold of a different mutation line.

Continuing to mutate on a specific line after threshold can give you powerful mutations that are unique to that line.

You cannot purify threshold. The first one is forever.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Interesting. I used serums for both my injections, I'll have to check tomorrow and make sure I didn't pass threshold.

I think I'll try Ursine if I do break a threshold.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Decided to start injecting serums into my rear end. Started with Ursine and Cattle. What are you all's favorite mutation trees?

I think I'd really like bird were it not for the carry capacity malus

I like Celephopod on an aesthetic level but I'm not sure it has a lot to offer mechanically given the lack of anything to do in the water.

I think Mouse is pretty solid and offers some challenging offsets. Carry weight and HP are tanked, balancing equipment encumbrance is a big pain in the rear end because of critical gear that can't be scaled down to your diminutive stature and you get rapid metabolism so your eating more.

But you you don't need to drink anymore, and you can eat just about anything. A bunch of speed buffs see to it that you can casually walk away from most of the opposition, and your high night vision, completely silently movement and a unique trait that reduces the range enemies notice you at make you a drat fine burglar as long as you don't hang around long enough to let Zed smell you out.

Fighting isn't as dangerous as you might think since by the time you've crossed the threshold you've picked up enough parts to confer a passive dodge skill bonus in the loving teens and that's enough to make you nigh zombie proof before you actually start leveling the skill. If you wanna pop in your MP3 player and dance in front of a Migo until your dodge is 20 something Mouse can make it happen for you.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Interesting. I used serums for both my injections, I'll have to check tomorrow and make sure I didn't pass threshold.

I think I'll try Ursine if I do break a threshold.

I'm not sure about ursine but be careful with bovine, from what I remember one of the mutation is you basically become Big Huge and you'll destroy all your gear if it pops while you're wearing normal sized clothing and I think maybe be unable to fit in a vehicle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beast is a very straightforward "make living things stop being living by biting their face off" tree, and easy to craft. Maybe fish Lupine to try and pick up Indefatigable.

Medical lets you completely ignore the pain/death-spiral system.

Alpha is extremely good all-rounder, but extremely laborious to craft in bulk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just murdered a dude.

I was finishing up some work a couple hours before dawn and for some reason I opened the map and noticed a red @ a couple squares away from my shelter. I ran in to grab my SIG552 and some mags and approached the @. It turned out to be some dude who immediately started yelling threats, but also ran away. So I chased him down, trying to use the chat command just made it say he was fleeing from me. At first I was gonna just let him run off, but I was worried he'd come back and steal poo poo or even attack me while I slept sooo.... I opened fire and gunned him down in a few bursts. RIP Yong "Quirk" Jarret.

The dude was unarmed? Idiot. Don't yell threats at a guy with an assault rifle chasing you. At least I didn't take a morale hit for killing a living person?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

AceRimmer posted:

So the launcher comes with a giant list of mods but they don't show up during world gen? :confused:

You need to open the modinfo files in data/mods and set obsolete to false
Beware that a few of them actively break the game as they haven’t been updated for newer versions

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Can I armor up a windshield and still see through it? I managed to put together a few more wooden armor kits.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Armor plating is just extra HP.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sweet, thanks. Just need to rustle up some more nails now and I'm on my way.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Using a camera system to see out your vehicle allows you to fully enclose your deathmobile in solid armour and not allow anyone outside to see inside which can stop you from aggroing things like turrets and monsters (the latter is assuming you aren't moving and stay quiet while inside, they still investigate noises) - its something I try to prioritise once I have a load of solar panels and am generating enough power to sustain a freezer/fridge because by that point I've usually got a load of cameras I don't know what to do with.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, definitely something I'm keeping an eye out for when I hit the city and can get some tools.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Welcome to mid game AKA what loot do I drop?

People upthread were asking about which tools you install in your deathmobile and the correct answer is an autoclave and as many freezers as you need. Welders, forges, etc take up a tile that could be used for 250L of storage.

People playing this game who don’t optimize ANGER ME.

:downs:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

What mod had the dimensional cargo container? It used to be a built-in pack.

It just removes so much frustration with loot management on a vehicle.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That used to be mainline. Quantum storage?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Pretty sure it was part of blazemod vehicle pack. If it was part of the vanilla game, it probably got moved to aftershock.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Welcome to mid game AKA what loot do I drop?

People upthread were asking about which tools you install in your deathmobile and the correct answer is an autoclave and as many freezers as you need. Welders, forges, etc take up a tile that could be used for 250L of storage.

People playing this game who don’t optimize ANGER ME.

:downs:

Yeah you can condense basically all of the crafting stations into a single storage space with a charger and a massive stack of tools. A 2x3 grid containing that, a few storage areas (to sort between materials, consumables, and gear), a bed with your crafting books on it, and your control setup is sufficient to complete basically any day-to-day task without much fuss.

Don't forget to mount a clean water tank on your deathmobile and stick a faucet inside for easy drinking. Also don't forget to turn off the charger when it's not in use. It'll slowly eat away at your batteries if you leave it on, even when nothing needs recharging.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If your mid game isn’t harvesting storage batteries then

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's like we're a real family :kiddo:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, back on the road. I ran over the MiGo yelling "WELCOME TO EARTH!". It mimiced me just as the ram made impact. It's now a couple gallons of lamp oil.

Think I'm going to try to back into the roadblock, hopefully spare some of the engines and panels in the front and not get shot by any turrets.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tin Tim posted:

It's like we're a real family :kiddo:

Unless you need some serious wood burning, I'd suggest replacing that stove with a simple oil-lamp cooker. Lamp Oil is an easily renewable resource, just butcher some zombies and render the fat into tallow and the tallow into oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Oh I just stuffed the stove in there in case the winter is making my bedroom too cold. I never actually used it so far :v: