Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hypnophant posted:

I use colemak on a preonic and find both to be much more comfortable than the mainstream alternatives. I don't think learning them at the same time would be too much, especially as colemak isn't really all that different from qwerty, although I switched to colemak years before I got the ortho. If you're planning on getting a preonic, the default keymap also makes it easy to switch on the fly which is very useful.

Yeah, apparently the Ergodox EZ comes with the correct home rows as well, so maybe ill switch my current Ducky One to Colemak and start learning now so its less of a hurtle when the ergodox arrives in 3-4 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

Coronaboredom has led me to ordering the things needed to handwire a keyboard, and I accidentally had my plate shipped to the construction site across the street. Hopefully it works out when it gets here, but I don't have my fingers crossed. Is there any place to get plates from that doesn't involve shipping from China or paying through the nose to have something laser cut? For 3D printed plates, can you use PLA or is only ABS tough enough? Can you use a different material beneath a 1.5mm 3D printed plate for rigidity or do you need more structural support around the switches?

If you have a printer I would just give a PLA plate a try on a small keypad or something, the stuff isn't terrible mechanically at room temp

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

shovelbum posted:

If you have a printer I would just give a PLA plate a try on a small keypad or something, the stuff isn't terrible mechanically at room temp

I don't, I was thinking of commissioning someone who does to make some plates, so any work anyone's done on the matter I can use would save me time and money.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah, apparently the Ergodox EZ comes with the correct home rows as well, so maybe ill switch my current Ducky One to Colemak and start learning now so its less of a hurtle when the ergodox arrives in 3-4 weeks

Fwiw it only took me a few days to learn Colemak and after 4 weeks I was typing at my normal speed, an admittedly not impressive 40ish wpm. If you're comfortable touch typing already, it's not much of a hurdle, imo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Well I think it's officially dead.
The Woo-dy kickstarter I backed has gone silent for months and it looks like there might be litigation. RIP my $140

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woo-dy/woo-dy-a-67-keys-mechanical-keyboard-that-is-breathing/posts/2754530

e: what are y'alls' recommendations for a small bluetooth mech board? preferably with a plate / swappable switches. Projects boards are fine.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 29, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hypnophant posted:

Fwiw it only took me a few days to learn Colemak and after 4 weeks I was typing at my normal speed, an admittedly not impressive 40ish wpm. If you're comfortable touch typing already, it's not much of a hurdle, imo.

ah yeah, i normally type at 80ish wpm so fingers crossed this will be ezpz

i cant find my goddamn keycap puller so I'm already getting pwnd

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i switched my keycaps around and then realised whatever profile they are makes the keys above the home row taller than the keys below, so i had a ton of uneven keys everywhere :saddowns:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I recommend spending an additional $texas on a group buy

Alternatively switch it in software and print out the layout and stick it up next to your screen until you get used to the new layout

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i switched my keycaps around and then realised whatever profile they are makes the keys above the home row taller than the keys below, so i had a ton of uneven keys everywhere :saddowns:

Yeah, the cheapest way of switching keyboard layouts is to stick with uniform profiles like DSA unfortunately. Specific keycaps for non-uniform profiles with different layouts just adds more cost (if the group buy even offers them)

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

figured i'd turn an extra planck into a macromacropad for WFH stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this is a dumb question, but on macos how do i use Colemak with aussie spelling rules?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nondescript Van posted:

This is loving genius and I love it EXCEPT I could not use that in that layout because I have the numbad so ingrained into my muscle memory that I would never be able to unlearn it.

E: also, are your left control and alt keys flipped? IBM/Lenovo love?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So based on the past page I just found out about Colemak, am curious to try it, but is there a way to swap between it and QWERTY quickly? Mostly thinking of trying Colemak for typing, but using QWERTY for games really

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Artelier posted:

So based on the past page I just found out about Colemak, am curious to try it, but is there a way to swap between it and QWERTY quickly? Mostly thinking of trying Colemak for typing, but using QWERTY for games really

On macOS if you hit control + space you can swap between QWERTY and colemak

The only bugger I’ve found is that colemak spell corrects to American spelling so that’s been annoying

I assume you can hit windows + space on windows since that’s how I switch between Norwegian and English

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nondescript Van posted:

What mouse is that?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is loving genius and I love it EXCEPT I could not use that in that layout because I have the numbad so ingrained into my muscle memory that I would never be able to unlearn it.

E: also, are your left control and alt keys flipped? IBM/Lenovo love?

Not flipped, just moved. Caps is control. HHKB love if anything.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What mouse is that?

FUNC MS-3 REV 2

discontinued and func no longer exists but overall it's "eh". I prefer my mionix naos 3200 but this func has a few more buttons I find useful.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone make a maximalist keyboard with another numpad's worth of macro pad on the left side of the board opposite the numpad

edit: every time i look at the CODE and think this could be BIGGER i come in this thread and post this and im sorry

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 30, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Assuming initial experiments go well I'll make you one, would just need to fabricate a custom a custom case for it. And get the firmware working...

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Does anyone make a maximalist keyboard with another numpad's worth of macro pad on the left side of the board opposite the numpad

edit: every time i look at the CODE and think this could be BIGGER i come in this thread and post this and im sorry

somebody did briefly :v:

Clueboard April Fools joke from like 2 years ago. It had a bunch of dumb memes on the pcb so i got a brass plate cut.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I have a WASD CODE with MX Clears at work. I like it alot. I'd like to replace my Corsair keyboard at home now. What's the preferred keyboard vendor? Mechanicalkeyboards.com?

Also I'm thinking of going TKL - will be primarily for gaming and some typing. Been eyeing one of those Varmillos - is that a good place to start? And any opinions on the Varmillo switches? I'm a fan of tactile feedback so have really liked the clears at work though they might be too stiff for gaming?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lowness 72 posted:

So I have a WASD CODE with MX Clears at work. I like it alot. I'd like to replace my Corsair keyboard at home now. What's the preferred keyboard vendor? Mechanicalkeyboards.com?

Also I'm thinking of going TKL - will be primarily for gaming and some typing. Been eyeing one of those Varmillos - is that a good place to start? And any opinions on the Varmillo switches? I'm a fan of tactile feedback so have really liked the clears at work though they might be too stiff for gaming?

If you like the WASD CODE that much, you could just get one for home use :v: (I'm pretty sure they come in TKL variants; I know the standard non-backlit WASD does)

As for being too heavy for gaming, I'm not sure that's a thing. Everyone has different preferences, and while I'm sure there some sort of e-sports reason why the *~*~competitive choice~*~* is short-keystroke with extremely light press, there are plenty of gaming boards out there with Cherry MX Blues, Cherry MX Greens, and proprietary knock-off equivalents.

Any reason you can't bring the CODE home for the weekend and see how it feels for gaming? (I know nothing about Varmillos so I have nothing to add there, sorry)

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Anyone have recommendations for a good wrist rest for a 60% keyboard? I've been having a hell of a time finding one that doesn't have mixed reviews/is in stock (or doesn't have the little glorious logo on it).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

foutre posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good wrist rest for a 60% keyboard? I've been having a hell of a time finding one that doesn't have mixed reviews/is in stock (or doesn't have the little glorious logo on it).

Not sure what's wrong the the Glorious logo, it's a pretty epic beard.

That being said, my favorite has been the fat wrist pads by these guys:
https://grifiti.com/collections/fat-wrist-pads

If you want no logo at all, it looks like the longer ones don't have a logo, but the TKL does? That being said, it's just a piece of fabric glued to a thick piece of heavy foam. I'm reasonably certain that I could cut mine in half with a Stanley knife (new blade ofc) and a straight edge.

Granted, you said 60%, and I'm not certain if that's smaller than a TKL or not.

Edit: Just checked the OP, looks like 60% is smaller than that. I'm not sure how many inches that is; it looks like they have an 8-inch version that's nominally for a mouse. Or, y'know, a knife on a bigger one I guess. (or just shift it to the left or right I suppose)

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 30, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

shovelbum posted:

Corsair K90/95 but you can't get it in good switches sadly.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

Logitech g710+ has 6 extra function keys on the left side. Not a whole numpads worth but some. Cherry MX browns. The software is easy to use too. (And I happen to have one to sell if you're interested :))

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Colemak talk:

Yes it's good. Probably the most widely supported alternative layout other than Dvorak. I've used it since about 2008 or so. I don't find it hard to go back and forth to QWERTY either other than the jarring additional amount of finger effort inherent to the layout, but I was also a touch typist in QWERTY for a long time before Colemak.

AFAIK pretty much every OS except Windows has Colemak by default. Even iOS has Colemak, although I still use QWERTY there as it's actually better for finger-tapping.

You may want to evaluate Angle Mod and Mod-DH (https://colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/). Angle Mod will help if you later transition to a columnar keyboard, as it more properly aligns the bottom left row. Mod-DH may be worth learning, but it's only a minor improvement. I actually don't use it myself, but mostly because I'm transitioning to another layout anyway.

Also check out the punctuation and numpad layers for BEAKL15 (https://web.archive.org/web/20190909214019/http://www.shenafu.com:80/code/keyboard/beakl/index.php). I do a lot of accounting entries and the BEAKL15 numpad is an absolute lifesaver. It takes a few weeks to get used to but you will never go back to a traditional numpad.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I'm trying to get into Colemak and I downloaded Colemak Mod DH for Windows

But is there a way to set up my switchable keyboards to be between QWERTY and Colemak? If I press Win + Space, I get to switch languages, not keyboards:

I would like the option to be QWERTY or Colemak, instead of US or UK. Tried Googling but I might be using the wrong terms to find the option, and digging on my own isn't going great so far.

EDIT: I posted after I restarted and took the picture above, thinking I was out of the ordinary fix options. I was updating my graphics drivers, restarted and...suddenly Colemak appears as intended. Whee!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 1, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Three days into using Colemak for short typing, and I have to say, the biggest mental block for me is the O button, because it takes place of where the colon normally is and that's just now how my hands are spread out.

Muscle memory kicking in slowly!

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Artelier posted:

So I'm trying to get into Colemak and I downloaded Colemak Mod DH for Windows

But is there a way to set up my switchable keyboards to be between QWERTY and Colemak? If I press Win + Space, I get to switch languages, not keyboards:

I would like the option to be QWERTY or Colemak, instead of US or UK. Tried Googling but I might be using the wrong terms to find the option, and digging on my own isn't going great so far.

EDIT: I posted after I restarted and took the picture above, thinking I was out of the ordinary fix options. I was updating my graphics drivers, restarted and...suddenly Colemak appears as intended. Whee!

I'm pretty sure you can have multiple layouts per language. That said, I've only ever had US region on my windows installs so maybe it's buggy with multiple regions.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
My dumb lovely green Razer board is dying so I ordered a Durgod Hades 68 with Gateron Brown switches, wish me luck

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Zarin posted:

Edit: Just checked the OP, looks like 60% is smaller than that. I'm not sure how many inches that is; it looks like they have an 8-inch version that's nominally for a mouse. Or, y'know, a knife on a bigger one I guess. (or just shift it to the left or right I suppose)

Thanks for the recommendation! It turns out the 12 inch is perfect for 60/65%, at least my particular one. Feels a lot better to type with.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Just got a Durgod k320 and love it. Now to get some keycaps. I'm thinking of swapping the WASD, arrow, and probably poo poo like ctrl and shift and whatnot. Perhaps a primary red, yellow, blue color scheme. Anyone know something for sale like that?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So odd one for the thread. I love the thinkpad keyboards, but only use macs. They just released a new thinkpad trackpoint ii keyboard, (so wireless via dongle or blue tooth) which is the thinkpad keyboard but as Stand alone board.

My issue is it says it supports windows and android only: now, can I assume they means trackpoint support? Because I don’t give a poo poo about the red clit. I just want to type on the drat thing.

Thoughts thread? Will the blue tooth just work on my iPad/iMac?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LionArcher posted:

So odd one for the thread. I love the thinkpad keyboards, but only use macs. They just released a new thinkpad trackpoint ii keyboard, (so wireless via dongle or blue tooth) which is the thinkpad keyboard but as Stand alone board.

My issue is it says it supports windows and android only: now, can I assume they means trackpoint support? Because I don’t give a poo poo about the red clit. I just want to type on the drat thing.

Thoughts thread? Will the blue tooth just work on my iPad/iMac?

If it’s a Bluetooth standard compliant device and sends standard keyboard codes via either Bluetooth or USB then idk why it wouldn’t work

Unless they seriously have their own driver for more than just the mouseclit

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Google says it works fine, except the trackpoint scrolling doesn't work like it does in windows (having not used one I'm not entirely sure what they're talking about), but even that has workarounds.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Google says it works fine, except the trackpoint scrolling doesn't work like it does in windows (having not used one I'm not entirely sure what they're talking about), but even that has workarounds.

Okay thanks thread. Well it’s $100 and not on amazon yet, so now I wait. (I have a gift card).

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020
Having always used cherry clones, I've been curious about using Kailh Choc low-profile keys for a while now.
Is there a good Kailh Choc-based 40% keyboard that anyone can recommend? Prebuilt would be nice, but I don't mind soldering/assembling one either.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

LaughingWallaby posted:

Having always used cherry clones, I've been curious about using Kailh Choc low-profile keys for a while now.
Is there a good Kailh Choc-based 40% keyboard that anyone can recommend? Prebuilt would be nice, but I don't mind soldering/assembling one either.

If you get a board with hot-swappable switches, you can use the low-profiles - the pins are the same.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Canuck-Errant posted:

If you get a board with hot-swappable switches, you can use the low-profiles - the pins are the same.

Is that true? I thought the pin positions on Kailh Choc switches are different from the Cherry clones.

This product page for hotswap sockets says there are two types: one for Cherry MX and one for Chocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Is that true? I thought the pin positions on Kailh Choc switches are different from the Cherry clones.

This product page for hotswap sockets says there are two types: one for Cherry MX and one for Chocs.

Whoop, my bad. I looked at mine closer and they're definitely different :downs:

The Planck Light or WoodKeys Meira look the closest to what you want, but the former is a groupbuy KB on Drop and the latter is currently on waitlist.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 10, 2020