Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

THE BAR posted:

I can't tell whether legacy graphics is also a single player thing only, or if it's just the toggle thing that is.

I believe you can toggle during both single player and multi player. It's part of the reason why they didn't add more frames to the animations - keep everything in sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 05: Operation: Dark Night [BONUS]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kxjXYVbyHU
Operation: Dark Night [BONUS]

Now that the situation has stabilized itself somewhat in the continental United States, its time to send out calls for help, especially for our old allies in Europe. Unfortunately for us, the Soviets have a number of forward nuclear silos that are threatening to attack any targets of opportunity from Spain to Germany! If we are ever to balance the scales of power, we will need to send in a team of infiltrators to knock out those nuclear weapons for good.

In the cutscene and loading screen, the location appears to be given somewhere on the Polish/Belorussian border, and Poland already being Allied!

Objective: Neutralize the Soviet nuclear missiles in the area.

Briefing: European forces still refuse to fight with us, fearing a Soviet nuclear counterattack. We have discovered the location of their medium-range missiles in Poland. Special agent Tanya has secretly crossed the Polish border. You will direct her to destroy the Soviet Nuclear Missiles.

Author's note: Messing around with some missed content.

N/A

N/A

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
News from CNCNZ:

Gene Dynarski, the actor who played Stalin in Red Alert, and another actor playing a character we haven't met, have recently passed away.:rip:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:smith:

Be good to each other folks.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's worth noting that's a specific trigger in the mission to do that. In-game normally, a nuclear missile does not do enough damage to destroy a nuclear missile silo.

It'll handily flatten (almost) everything else though. RA2's superweapons are the most powerful in any C&C game up to that point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Loxbourne posted:

It's worth noting that's a specific trigger in the mission to do that. In-game normally, a nuclear missile does not do enough damage to destroy a nuclear missile silo.

It'll handily flatten (almost) everything else though. RA2's superweapons are the most powerful in any C&C game up to that point.

Also of note is that I'm pretty sure you normally can't capture superweapons either.
In fact, I think this might be the only instance ever where you can capture a "defensive" structure.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 06: Operation: Liberty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HABCM2yJQo0
Operation: Liberty

The European Allies have joined the cause, bolstering our ability to defend the USA, but also take the fight to the Soviets once things have stabilized. The western South American nations have fallen to the Soviets, or perhaps simply switched sides. On top of that, they are threatening to enter Canada via Washington State, threatening to control almost the entire Pacific coast line!

Fighting in the heart of the capital!

Objective: Retake the city!

Briefing: The Europeans have joined with us and the time has come to counterattack. We will retake Washington DC and then we will retake the rest of our nation from the Soviet scum.

Author's note: A return to an old map, with some slight expansion to its western side. Its an interesting take but it does feel a little empty at times... Oh and special buildings that grant cash for being repaired are back.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya. Was temporarily subverted by the Soviet Union due to mind control weapons. Impressed by the Commander's ability to befriend Tanya.

Name: Dr. Einstein
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Larry Gelman

Einstein is still alive, and has added the Prism Tower technology to his long list of inventions alongside the Chronosphere of the past.

Nighthawk Transport
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Black Hawk Cannon
COST: 1000

This massive transport helicopter is used to move infantry units across the map quickly and efficiently, without regard to terrain. The Night Hawk Transport is also completely invisible to enemy radar, making it even more effective at shuttling units back and forth. It is vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire, however.

Author's Note: A useful secondary transport for the allied forces, allowing them to get on top of cliffs or other impassable terrain. The only downside being that the Nighthawk can't transport vehicles.

Prism Tower
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 1500
POWER USAGE: 75
PURPOSE: Defensive Structure

The Prism Tower is a powerful base defence for the Allies. Prism Towers fire a concentrated beam of light at any approaching enemy ground units. If Prism Towers are placed close enough together, they can fire one large, powerful beam by targeting each other and combining light beams on the target.

-The max number of Prism Towers that can augment an attack is 8.
-The increase in damage is 150% per tower.

Author's Note: Your main defensive structure to be used against tougher units. It packs a stronger punch when built near other Prism Towers.

Patriot Missiles
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 1000
POWER USAGE: 50
PURPOSE: Defensive Structure

The Patriot Missile System is an anti-aircraft device design to keep Allied bases protected from Soviet aircraft. Effective against all enemy flying units, the Patriot can also target and destroy incoming enemy missiles.

Author's Note: The Allied anti-air defensive structure.

Service Depot
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 800
POWER USAGE: 25
PURPOSE: Repairs Damage

During the course of a battle, your units will become damaged. Moving a damaged vehicle into a Service Depot begins the repair process. Repairing damaged vehicles costs credits, with the cost depending on the severity of the damage to the unit.

Author's Note: According to the rules.ini file, you can sell units sitting on a Service Depot, much like prior games. The repair cost is only 15% of the total unit cost. (Unless I've misunderstood the .ini file)

Battle Lab (Allied)
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 2000
POWER USAGE: 100
PURPOSE: Unlocks High Tier units/structures

Many of the more advanced Allied units and defenses depend upon additional technology found only at the Battle Lab. To create the Allied special weapons, you must have a Battle Lab at your base. While expensive to build and requiring a lot of power to run, the units and structures available with the Battle Lab make it a necessary addition to any Allied base.

Author's Note: Not much to say about this other than it acts as the standard tech structure seen in previous games that unlocks the higher tier units and structures for the player.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "The precision with which you destroyed the Soviet forces and liberated Washington DC is one for the record books."

Slower than Par Time: "Washington DC has been saved, but at a terrible price in men and materials."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Now we're getting into the stuff that makes the allies a lot of fun in RA2.

Prism towers are a fun gimmick that feels very different to Tesla coils.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I haven't yet found a good gimmick that makes this mission easy.
I usually just end up farming kills for Rocketeers, so that I can get a kill squad of 10+ Elite ones that can just go around annihilating Ore Miners and bankrupt each of the Soviet factions.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Teleporting the chrono miner leaves the terror drone behind, it doesn't destroy it.

kingturnip posted:

I usually just end up farming kills for Rocketeers, so that I can get a kill squad of 10+ Elite ones that can just go around annihilating Ore Miners and bankrupt each of the Soviet factions.
Can the AI actually run out of money? I've seen them continue to pump out endless streams of fairly expensive units even when all their ore refineries were dead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grizzly tanks are kinda garbage at taking damage. No health and no armor. The only things more fragile are the IFVs and thin sheets of glass.
Prism towers are neat, but inefficient in groups. If you have five of them all five will charge and fire at one enemy every two shots. I've spent way too many hours replaying this game.

kingturnip posted:

Eh, just snipe the construction yards with planes and then the production buildings. :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, never noticed that redubbed line before. Looks to me like he said 'Prism Towers' - maybe they were planned for the Soviet side originally? Or it could have just been a script mistake.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThingOne posted:

Teleporting the chrono miner leaves the terror drone behind, it doesn't destroy it.

Yeah, for some reason I was under the impression it killed it. We'll see a good example of one being dropped in the next few videos.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
so yeah, Einstein being alive is where any attempt to make sense of the timeline goes out the window. Oh well!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

... Maybe Einstein is a codename? This one doesn't look or act much like the last one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

HannibalBarca posted:

so yeah, Einstein being alive is where any attempt to make sense of the timeline goes out the window. Oh well!

I guess if this game takes place during the nebulous fifties it can still work, real Einstein made it halfway through.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Einstein has a time machine. It should be trivial for him to extend his life with that.

EDIT: I wonder if the smart way to win this mission is with a spy. You can shut down their flak emplacements and tesla defenses for your attack. You can also probably steal infinite money from all the refineries.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 30, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Chronojam posted:

I guess if this game takes place during the nebulous fifties it can still work, real Einstein made it halfway through.

still have to square the circle with the PC on his desk in the cutscene though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
How many combo'd Prism Towers do you need to get the same damage as a single Tesla Coil?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

PurpleXVI posted:

How many combo'd Prism Towers do you need to get the same damage as a single Tesla Coil?

Two. A single tesla coil will two-shot a Grizzy, but two prism towers can one-shot Rhinos.

I also remember a cash crate appearing south of the Pentagon if you repaired it. Another quirk of the C&Cnet version?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loxbourne posted:

Two. A single tesla coil will two-shot a Grizzy, but two prism towers can one-shot Rhinos.

I also remember a cash crate appearing south of the Pentagon if you repaired it. Another quirk of the C&Cnet version?

There's no more CnCNet version past Tiberian Sun, because the code was never made shareware. I would assume probably an earlier patch, or I'm thinking of something else entirely.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Fangz posted:

Einstein has a time machine. It should be trivial for him to extend his life with that.

EDIT: I wonder if the smart way to win this mission is with a spy. You can shut down their flak emplacements and tesla defenses for your attack. You can also probably steal infinite money from all the refineries.

No-go for the spies, see those dogs kicking around their base? Dogs detect spies. I always just blobbed Grizzlies and rolled over their base, or more recently used perhaps ten grizzlies and a few repair IFVs in the group. You don't really have a siege unit yet and the defensive cross coverage is pretty solid so you can't really exploit weak spots air or massed infantry. You don't yet have the tools to crack a decent defense with minimal units.

You could capture that first Soviet war factory and radar, use that to build V3s, and use those to siege the enemy base. But, well, effort.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know the range of the dogs but it seems like there's a gap in the coverage around the back? Especially since they give you the Blackhawk to ferry infantry around.

The satellite refineries seem undefended also.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the AI does do "sell all" in Tiberian Sun but it seems to be more of a trigger for individual missions. That and even if they did sell all their structures, the AI wouldn't sell defense stuff like walls, so in the GDI missions it probably didn't feel like it happened because you still had to hunt down and destroy all those stupid loving laser fence posts

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Man it's just been a nonstop highlights reel for me. Every mission I exclaim "Oh man! I remember this one!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Your base building woes at the start could have been solved by deploying your mcv near the southern mineral field. The power generators give you access to build on the northen defensive line and field and that lets you set up a really good choke point at the southern bridges. Especially if you take advantage of the lack of soviet repair huts and take one out so that everything funnels into a single grinder. Then move north and secure that bridge using the hospital and your mining fields are safe and you have a large area to build your forces. The only real issue is making sure you periodically cleanse enemy V3s because they outrange everything you have and will eventually grow numerous enough to get missiles past your defenses.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

Your base building woes at the start could have been solved by deploying your mcv near the southern mineral field. The power generators give you access to build on the northen defensive line and field and that lets you set up a really good choke point at the southern bridges. Especially if you take advantage of the lack of soviet repair huts and take one out so that everything funnels into a single grinder. Then move north and secure that bridge using the hospital and your mining fields are safe and you have a large area to build your forces. The only real issue is making sure you periodically cleanse enemy V3s because they outrange everything you have and will eventually grow numerous enough to get missiles past your defenses.

Yeah, and if I were to re-do the mission I'd probably spend some time building an MCV and shipping that to the northern mineral fields on the enemy side of the map.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

I don't know the range of the dogs but it seems like there's a gap in the coverage around the back? Especially since they give you the Blackhawk to ferry infantry around.

The satellite refineries seem undefended also.
According to my memory both of those are very much correct.

FoolyCharged posted:

The only real issue is making sure you periodically cleanse enemy V3s because they outrange everything you have and will eventually grow numerous enough to get missiles past your defenses.
With flak the number of V3s needed to overpower the defenses increases by a lot, and it doesn't take many flak guns until no amount of V3 can break through. :smug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Relying on basic Allied ground units is tough because they are really weak - the IFV is extremely fragile and expensive for what it does so only a couple of configurations are worth it and the Grizzly tank can do a lot of damage but is made of papiermache; I don't think either is meant to be a backbone of your army. GIs, on the other hand, when sufficiently massed and deployed, can be used to plink down just about anything.

The way I always played this mission was to use tons and tons of planes to kamikaze defenses and then mop up with infantry. Takes quite a while, though.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Man it's just been a nonstop highlights reel for me. Every mission I exclaim "Oh man! I remember this one!"

Same here, and again, this is another mission that I thought happened later. Also forgot you got Prism Towers this early as well. Anyway, this is definitely a meat-grinder mission even on Normal, and as others have said, there really isn't a simple way to easily win. I remember just massing Harrier Jets and sniping the Con. Yard and then key buildings for this one, as while there is a good amount of Soviet anti-air for once, it still isn't on the same level as their massive anti-ground defense. Still, I always love missions in games, especially RTS's, where you revisit a previous map, usually with some expansion to its borders. Shame that the Soviet base where your previous base from earlier was wasn't a captured Allied base, that would have been some nice continuity, but oh well. Least we got Carville his office back, hope that the Soviets didn't do to much redecorating while he was up north.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
It's been quite a while, but I think my preferred strategy this mission was to micromanage the veteran experience of a group of IFVs during the defense against the constant waves of troops at the beginning, and then send those maxed IFVs out. Veteran IFVs have some impressive range, and I'm fairly certain I remember using them to outrange Tesla coils? Pop a couple engineers in to keep their HP high/counter terror drones as you mentioned in the video (and possibly capture a structure) and just zoom around hitting targets of opportunity since basically nothing the Soviets field is as fast.

Also, re: prism tower targeting garbage - I distinctly remember selling off a majority of those outer towers and relying on the garrisoned Pentagon due to this very problem.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

..You can garrison the Pentagon?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

..You can garrison the Pentagon?
It happened in the video. :v:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
You must garrison the Pentagon.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Your orders were very clear: "Get me back my office". You have to send in a bunch of GIs to clean out all the communist propaganda.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Guns over there, mops over here, the last one not washing is a filthy commie."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

It happened in the video. :v:

So it did!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

So it did!
I never realized I could myself and always had my infantry sandbag up on the outside. So many deaths could have been avoided.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Best part of this mission might be Carville talking about Tanya in the opening and then using the toothpick on his ear. He really is a piece of work, for both good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Best part of this mission might be Carville talking about Tanya in the opening and then using the toothpick on his ear. He really is a piece of work, for both good and bad.

He's using so many toothpicks he confuses himself, it's one of my favourite things in RA2.