Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the above plus:

47 Ronin - Stan Sakai taking on the samurai legend Berserker Unbound - get it for the Mike Deodato barbarian art
Avatar The Last Airbender / Legend of Korra - totally lives up to the great animated series
Baltimore - horror adventures across Europe, kinda like an elongated historical BPRD arc
Harrow County - rural horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Harlequin Valentine by Gaiman

Murder Mysteries by Gaiman, about an angel investigating the first murder

Domu: A Child’s Dream

Reset by Peter Bagge

Satoshi Kon’s Opus

Colder by Paul Tobin, a high concept horror story

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I just read Breaking Glass and it was a banger. I can't stop thinking about Steve Pugh's work for it. Speaking of, do you guys know any other good books with him/artists on his tier?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

sliami posted:

I just read Breaking Glass and it was a banger. I can't stop thinking about Steve Pugh's work for it. Speaking of, do you guys know any other good books with him/artists on his tier?

He was the artist on the most recent Flintstones comic which I enjoyed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Baltimore - horror adventures across Europe, kinda like an elongated historical BPRD arc

Just started reading Baltimore last night and I can recommend it as being very good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was reading Baltimore through my public library and got to the penultimate volume and then the lockdown and such happened. Now I'm waiting for things to open once again so I can pick up the final volume.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

Any non Hellboy and non Black Hammer Dark Horse recommendations? I am going to pick up volume 3 of Umbrella Academy and figure maybe I should give some Dark Horse titles a look at as well.

I like Beanworld, myself.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Wanting to pick up a Sonic comic book series to ready with my 5 and 7 year old. Is there one available that I can reliably get the beginning and work our way through the series that is semi-appropriate for small kids? They saw the Sonic movie and are all about it. I did mange to introduce them to the video game just prior to watching the movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Prefect Six posted:

Wanting to pick up a Sonic comic book series to ready with my 5 and 7 year old. Is there one available that I can reliably get the beginning and work our way through the series that is semi-appropriate for small kids? They saw the Sonic movie and are all about it. I did mange to introduce them to the video game just prior to watching the movie.

Is there a Ken Penders omnibus?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Is there a Ken Penders omnibus?

I guess this is still a comedy website?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Prefect Six posted:

I only read the first issue or two of the ongoing IDW is currently putting out but I think it's meant to be decent (it's written by the guy everyone liked in the back half of the Archie book), and is aimed at kids, though I don't know if it's maybe targeted at ones a smidge older than yours? Definitely the one to take a look at at least, compared to how the old Archie stuff ended up.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Well, ran out of Power Pack to read to my 5 year old. We've got lots of other stuff to read but she really liked that the youngest was only 6. Any other superhero stuff with kids that young?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

sliami posted:

Pugh did a long run at the end of Animal Man, I fell in love with his work there. He also did the Saint of Killers story in Preacher (vol 4 of the paperbacks) that was also brilliant. In addition to the previously mentioned Flintstones (which was great), he also has some work in Doom Patrol, 2020 Visions, Hellblazer, and Hitman. I also wanna say he has credits on a recent Harley Quinn book, but I dunno if it is out yet or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chin Strap posted:

Well, ran out of Power Pack to read to my 5 year old. We've got lots of other stuff to read but she really liked that the youngest was only 6. Any other superhero stuff with kids that young?

Moon Girl from Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is 9 (I thought she was younger, but I just looked it up). Up until the new series either Franklin or Valerie have been really young in Fantastic Four, but i'm struggling to think of a good story line where they're heavily featured and would be entertaining to a 6 year old, that one issue of X-23 where she babysits them would probably be great, though if she really gets into X-23/Laura Kinney, there's huge swaths of her published history that are not appropriate for a 6 year old.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Tiny Titans, maybe?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Moon Girl from Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is 9 (I thought she was younger, but I just looked it up). Up until the new series either Franklin or Valerie have been really young in Fantastic Four, but i'm struggling to think of a good story line where they're heavily featured and would be entertaining to a 6 year old, that one issue of X-23 where she babysits them would probably be great, though if she really gets into X-23/Laura Kinney, there's huge swaths of her published history that are not appropriate for a 6 year old.

Franklin is the 5th honorary member of the power pack but there isn't much about just him alone. Thanks though!

Selachian posted:

Tiny Titans, maybe?

She has no background on anything DC so it didn't work when we tried reading some.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Franklin is the 5th honorary member of the power pack but there isn't much about just him alone. Thanks though!

Looking through Marvel Unlimited there's a bunch of Franklin Richards one shots by Chris Elipoulos where he's 7. Very Calvin and Hobbes esque art.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Looking through Marvel Unlimited there's a bunch of Franklin Richards one shots by Chris Elipoulos where he's 7. Very Calvin and Hobbes esque art.

They're not really superheroic. Just Franklin getting into mischief as H.E.R.B.I.E. tries to corral him. They're okay but not really fitting here.

Just about every other "child" superhero I can think of is in the 10-12 year old range. I mean, there's the Superbaby and Wonder Tot stories in the silver age but I don't recommend those at all. Molly in Runaways is probably around 8, but it's definitely not a kid friendly book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When she gets a little older wasp is a great read

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chin Strap posted:

The Conway part of Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows? I think Annie's like, 8, there.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

GOD IS BED posted:

Pugh did a long run at the end of Animal Man, I fell in love with his work there. He also did the Saint of Killers story in Preacher (vol 4 of the paperbacks) that was also brilliant. In addition to the previously mentioned Flintstones (which was great), he also has some work in Doom Patrol, 2020 Visions, Hellblazer, and Hitman. I also wanna say he has credits on a recent Harley Quinn book, but I dunno if it is out yet or not.

That HQ book was Breaking Glass, bossman. Thanks for the recs, though!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Comixology unlimited has a 60 day free trial. What weird off the beaten path comics are worth reading?

Edit - Since I'm not renewing my Disneyland annual pass I also resubbed to Marvel Unlimitee and DC Universe, so same question.

Roth fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 9, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Roth posted:

Comixology unlimited has a 60 day free trial. What weird off the beaten path comics are worth reading?

Edit - Since I'm not renewing my Disneyland annual pass I also resubbed to Marvel Unlimitee and DC Universe, so same question.

The Collector https://www.comixology.com/The-Collector/digital-comic/157154 is about a man who looks like a cowboy and acts like an Englishman. He travels the world to find and steal unique artifacts. It has the most beautiful line work I've ever seen, and probably ever will.

Starstruck https://www.comixology.com/Starstruck/digital-comic/27537 is space opera.

Temperance https://www.comixology.com/Temperance/digital-comic/305110 is nearly indescribable. A man who is biblically-crazy builds a stone ark to trap people under the guise of protection, then his adopted daughter falls in love with a tree and together they rule the ark, then it gets weird.

Thorgal https://www.comixology.com/Thorgal-Vol-1-Child-of-the-Stars/digital-comic/408942 is about an alien baby (who passes for human) who is adopted and raised by vikings.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Slightly-off-to-the-side DC Universe titles worth a look:

The Terrifics - Launched just as Marvel was shelving the Fantastic Four, but this is more than simple aping. It's bright, imaginative, full of lighthearted action, builds on its core super-family really well, and really just deserves a wider audience. A great team book.

Batman '66 - Really does expand on the original TV series archetypes, mixing the classic casting with modern characters that didn't exist then. The crossovers live up, too (Legion, Man From U.N.C.L.E., Green Hornet, Wonder Woman '77, Steed and Mrs. Peel).

Batman: Li'l Gotham - I promise not to overload an "off the beaten path" request with tons of Batman, but I'm scrolling through alphabetically and this series is a genuine treat. Chibi, watercolor, kid-friendly adventures, especially for readers who enjoy a good cameo.

Bizarro - Great cartooning, whimsical

DC Comics: Bombshells & Bombshells: United - All-ladies take on WW2 heroics and queer as all get out

Dial H For Hero - I'll say it: even better than the New 52 "Dial H," with Quinones busting out multiple aesthetics to match the different heroes generated by a magic phone dial.

Doctor Fate (1987) for some DeMatteis 80s weirdness and Doctor Fate (2015-) for Sonny Liew's amazing art (I love him, at least)

Flex Mentallo - Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely nail this concept so well and it's never not satisfying

Freedom Fighters (2018-) - Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters take on a modern, Nazi-ruled dystopia and it rocks

Future Quest - among the recent Hannah-Barbera comics, this and The Flintstones are better than anyone would have guessed

Gotham Academy - Cute YA hijinks, private academy full of secrets and winks

Gotham City Garage - Ladies of DC resisting in a Mad Max-esque Lextopia (Mad Lex?)

Young Animal's series - Among the feathers in Didio's cap, giving Gerard Way editorial carte blanche to get weird with DC properties is a mighty big highlight. For best results, after each "first" title, read the Justice League / Milk Wars crossover then return to the "rebirth" of each. Or read whatever looks good to you! Be a young animal with your tastes.
Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye then Cave Carson Has An Interstellar Eye
Shade The Changing Girl then Shade The Changing Woman
Mother Panic, then Mother Panic: Gotham A.D. (MP was just ok, and I haven't read Gotham A.D. yet...)
Doom Patrol (2016-) (first six issues, then the rest)
Eternity Girl (spins out of Milk Wars)

Mark Russell's DC stuff is thoughtful and tends to find extra and personal dimensions to the characters he writes. Yes, he wrote the "we were war criminals, Barney" scene in the Flintstones comic, but I promise there's more to his material than a single screencap.
Prez (2015), The Flintstones (look under T, for THE Flintstones, as The Monarch would say), Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, and Wonder Twins are all highlights. I don't think Green Lantern / Huckleberry Hound is uploaded yet, but that one's aces, too.

Midnighter (2015-) Rules, leads into Midnighter and Apollo, which also rules.

New Super-Man is Gene Luen Yang absolutely crushing it with Chinese versions of Superman/Bat-Man/Wonder Woman, along with Viktor Bogdanovic's extremely accessible (in a good way) art.

Plastic Man (2003-) Kyle Baker showing off why he's the master.

Robin: Son of Batman - Damian Wayne journeying to make amends for things he did while being raised by the League of Shadows. Patrick Gleason firing on all cylinders (I can only comment on art with cliches, sorry)

Star Spangled War Stories Featuring G.I. Zombie - A true sideline oddity, with good art and a strangely endearing hook of this zombie soldier taking on missions that repeatedly put him in harm's way that he can soldier through.

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade - super charming kid-friendly take.

Superman: Secret Identity - Whenever people talk about how much they love Birthright, I imagine they mean Secret Identity, which is way better. Pairs well with Batman: Creature of the Night.

The Legend of Wonder Woman (27 Books) - Renae de Liz giving us that universal take on Wonder Woman. Her colorist husband screwed the pooch when he threw some shade at DC for publishing another series that was similar to something they pitched, but this series still stands strong. Still wish it'd get a sequel, though.

These are probably all mainstream as hell, but I think they represent a good chunk of quality material available through DC Universe. Hell, just plowing through Injustice and Injustice 2 should last you a while and land you in the camp of people surprised to admit it's a great self-contained timeline of its own.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Any comics about occult/supernatural/pulpy stuff?

I've read and loved:
Hellboy
DC: The New Frontier

also loved Batman brave and the bold which was a cartoon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks for the recs, friends!

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I've read and loved:
Hellboy

Check out Manifest Destiny by Chris Dingess and Matthew Roberts. It's about the Lewis & Clark expedition, and has the team running across various local monsters like Bisontaurs, giant insects, and plant zombies. The art is fantastic too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've read and loved:
Hellboy

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run
Hellblazer, just start with the trades by Garth Ennis, I like most of the rest but that's definitely the high water mark.
Dylan Dog (not sure if it's currently in print in English though)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, can't believe I didn't think to rec this one too: Once & Future by Keiron Gillen, Dan Mora, and Tamra Bonvillain. Story is about a dude and his grandma fighting an undead lich King Arthur. Just started so it's only 7 issues to catch up on.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

I've read and loved:
Hellboy

Mike Carey's Lucifer. Not really pulpy, but hits the other requirements.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Atomic Robo and the sister series Real Science Adventures are both pulpy sci-fi fun. Very much like a more cartoony version of Hellboy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I've read and loved:
Hellboy

I will always always always recommend Ostrander's Spectre run. Always
There are probably some good Constantine/Hellblazer runs but I have never really read the title so I don't know enough to recommend.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I've read and loved:
Hellboy

Definitely Hellblazer. Garth Ennis' run is generally the favorite, especially the "Dangerous Habits" story, and I think it's more accessible than Jamie Delano's run that began the series. I had a soft spot for Warren Ellis' short run too, which is mostly self-contained stories.

I'll second Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, which was really ahead of its time in the early-to-mid '80s. John Constantine first appeared in that run, too.

And a newer recommendation: Outer Darkness, by John Layman (writer of one of my favorite series, Chew) and Afu Chan. It is occult/supernatural/pulpy, but all in a science fiction setting. It's about a dysfunctional and dangerous crew of humans and aliens working together (but not very well) on a spaceship with an angry elder god as its engine, set in a world of cosmic horror.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh, also check out Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips for some really good supernatural pulpy (I guess stuff). Basically follows the idea of the noir femme fatale motif mixed in with some Lovecraftian Elder gods evil monsters.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Lot of cool recs to check out. Thanks guys

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If I liked Rick Remender's Venom, will I like Donny Cates' Venom?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I have not heard of a single person liking Donny Cate's Venom.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The first volume is currently free on Comixology I'd you want to give it a look

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I have not heard of a single person liking Donny Cate's Venom.

I feel like people really liked it when it came out but then everyone got sick of Knull very quickly

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was alright until Maximum Carnage came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
So my comic shop reopened today and I grabbed the little Ironman 2020 preview book. It caught my interest but I also haven't been keeping up on anything other than all the X-stuff, has what's come out been any good?