Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

PetraCore posted:

I just think it's possible to discuss male victimization in a feminist manner - for example, the idea that men can't be hurt by women because women are small and weak is very patriarchal, as is the fact that both men and women struggle to report because of how being abused is seen as a moral and physical failing. It doesn't have to be a conversation about who 'deserves' limited resources because we can all be on the same side of survivors deserving protection from abusers.

The narrative of it simply as a gender dynanic also ignores intersectionality, tbh.

The biggest issue is the use of data from countries that systematically do not charge women with DA, as they are considered to inherently the victim (if they abuse, a man made them do it). This is a system called the 'duluth model' and was the creation of academic feminists in the 80s.

Unless you want to blame the actions of feminist groups on the patriarchy, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Piss Meridian posted:

The biggest issue is the use of data from countries that systematically do not charge women with DA, as they are considered to inherently the victim (if they abuse, a man made them do it). This is a system called the 'duluth model' and was the creation of academic feminists in the 80s.

Unless you want to blame the actions of feminist groups on the patriarchy, of course.
No I'm saying by framing women as exclusively victims those feminist groups were ironically still being really misogynistic. I'd like to read up about the issue sometimes since i know DA is dramatically under-reported anyway, so I can't imagine it's easy to figure out what the ratio actually is, esp with the base idea (abusers are male) being so pervasive.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

PetraCore posted:

No I'm saying by framing women as exclusively victims those feminist groups were ironically still being really misogynistic. I'd like to read up about the issue sometimes since i know DA is dramatically under-reported anyway, so I can't imagine it's easy to figure out what the ratio actually is, esp with the base idea (abusers are male) being so pervasive.

You're assuming they actually believe women can't be violent, rather than callously attempting to manipulate statistics. I have exactly zero faith in any female led group to make a good faith attempt to correct this situation they created.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Piss Meridian posted:

You're assuming they actually believe women can't be violent, rather than callously attempting to manipulate statistics. I have exactly zero faith in any female led group to make a good faith attempt to correct this situation they created.

:females:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Piss Meridian posted:

Uh, well, I'm a woman, so.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Women lead group sounds weirder. Man led group?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

PetraCore posted:

Uh, well, I'm a woman, so.

Yes, and you're attempting to minimize it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Cuisine, Notch, pop music artists that are neo-Nazis.

Checks out.
Counterpoint: Ikea, meatballs, Ikea meatballs

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Piss Meridian posted:

If you want my advice the smart thing to do at this point is to leave the thread alone for like, a month or something, and hoping that no one's gonna remember you posted something this insanely weird when you come back.

Or you could die on this hill, of course, if you want to entertain us.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PurpleXVI posted:

If you want my advice the smart thing to do at this point is to leave the thread alone for like, a month or something, and hoping that no one's gonna remember you posted something this insanely weird when you come back.

Or you could die on this hill, of course, if you want to entertain us.

Weird is charitable. Try raging misogynist, holy poo poo.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Hrrm, lets play the Incel, MGTOW, or something even weirder game!

I'm being boring and guessing Incel.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PetraCore posted:

I just think it's possible to discuss male victimization in a feminist manner - for example, the idea that men can't be hurt by women because women are small and weak is very patriarchal, as is the fact that both men and women struggle to report because of how being abused is seen as a moral and physical failing. It doesn't have to be a conversation about who 'deserves' limited resources because we can all be on the same side of survivors deserving protection from abusers.

The narrative of it simply as a gender dynanic also ignores intersectionality, tbh.

Any effort to draw attention to male victimization is feminist, except the zero-sum kind that does so by minimizing female victims.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Any effort to draw attention to male victimization is feminist, except the zero-sum kind that does so by minimizing female victims.

:master:

:vince:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This derail has the whole air of the new TERF commandment that "women can't legally commit rape* so there are no female rapists", which sits in between "women getting naked in communal changing rooms don't make people uncomfortable" and "women regularly wash their period panties in public bathrooms".

(Yes, these are all things TERFs have been parroting recently.)

*Rape in English law requires a penis; there's a parallel crime of sexual assault that carries the same sentence. Still, I can't imagine any of the TERF lot going to bat for the legal principle of "marriage is implied consent to sex" that survived as a defence in this country until 1991.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Ever read a post and just think to yourself, "man, I have got to check out that rear end in a top hat's rap sheet!"?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Hrrm, lets play the Incel, MGTOW, or something even weirder game!

I'm being boring and guessing Incel.

Umm... since Piss Meridian went in that direction, I'm just going to point out that the biggest groups pushing this 'no one cares about women abusers!' are MRA and MRA-adjacent groups. It's literally a bad faith effort to undermine feminist action against systemic violence against women by creating a false equivalence of violence against men that you never hear about because it's hushed up by the largely male-dominated legal system who are nevertheless in thrall to women.

That's not every person who feels like the existing laws and advocacy around domestic and sexual violence are underserving male victims. It's just a particular campaign that pops up every time the subject hits the news, which usually can be readily identified by their complete lack of solidarity or connection to other relevant social justice efforts.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I shouldn't have tried to give that guy the benefit of the doubt. How did he interpret what I said as minimizing? Because I didn't agree that women were the problem?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PetraCore posted:

I shouldn't have tried to give that guy the benefit of the doubt. How did he interpret what I said as minimizing? Because I didn't agree that women were the problem?

Saying that he 'interpeted what you said as minimizing' implies that he paid attention to it at all.

He's an rear end in a top hat deliberately-bad-faith arguer that's not worth paying attention to in any thread he turns up in, because he always pulls stuff adjacent to this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It should be noted that despite proclaiming that they want equality, MRA-types are notoriously allergic to anything that legitimizes feminist schema like you did PetraCore. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TinTower posted:

Still, I can't imagine any of the TERF lot going to bat for the legal principle of "marriage is implied consent to sex" that survived as a defence in this country until 1991.

I could see them tripping over themselves to support that defense if the victim was trans.

They probably wouldn't even blink.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cernunnos posted:

I could see them tripping over themselves to support that defense if the victim was trans.

They probably wouldn't even blink.

reinventing corrective rape to own the TRAs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Knormal posted:

Counterpoint: Ikea, meatballs, Ikea meatballs

Hmm upon careful consideration I shall rescind my stance

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ever read a post and just think to yourself, "man, I have got to check out that rear end in a top hat's rap sheet!"?

Eeyup. It’s lead down some... Disturbing rabbit holes.

Other times, you feel compelled to search for why some goon got redtexted for accidentally copy pasting some erotic fart story into an E/N thread.

Regalingualius has a new favorite as of 03:14 on May 1, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's also the "Which FYAD re-reg are you?" test. Which, considering this account is a month old....

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

chitoryu12 posted:

It's also the "Which FYAD re-reg are you?" test. Which, considering this account is a month old....

My guess would be Cumslut1895.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

Beware the demon FYAD posters, always lurking in the shadows waiting to troll innocent threads.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1255519714715074560

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1255876933172199428

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also, someone noted that if they weren't lying on their form, then their payroll is apparently $5.7 million a year. Which is a hell of a grift for someone.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

That's a lot of Toilet Paper, USA

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to announce today that I am rejecting a potential $340 million in lottery winnings. Not that I would ever actually win the lottery. I just want everyone to know I’m rejecting the money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also, someone noted that if they weren't lying on their form, then their payroll is apparently $5.7 million a year. Which is a hell of a grift for someone.

That's a pretty big if though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bell jar posted:

That's a lot of Toilet Paper, USA

Why do you think there's shortages now?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Lemniscate Blue posted:

One member was definitely a neo-Nazi, but he claims to regret it and put it behind him. No idea how much it might have influenced the rest of the band, or their work. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rm35nr/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

So, you're saying they saw a sign and it opened up their eyes?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

This is from someone I know who is going full 'corona virus doesn't exist' currently.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

sugar mouse posted:

This is from someone I know who is going full 'corona virus doesn't exist' currently.

Someone get those pranksters out of their graves, we know it's a joke already.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I hate it when the idiot forces you to ask-- would it be worse if they knew what they were doing, or if they didn't know what they were doing?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I hate it when the idiot forces you to ask-- would it be worse if they knew what they were doing, or if they didn't know what they were doing?

The answer is "yes", by the way.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

mind the walrus posted:

If they knew what they are doing, one assumes there comes a point where self-preservation kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

nexus6 posted:

Someone get those pranksters out of their graves, we know it's a joke already.

Look, nobody I know personally has died or been infected to my knowledge, and my really poor understanding of statistics and viral pathology, and my absolute refusal to listen to those that do know those things, leads me to the only logical conclusion of it not being real. Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. Please stop yelling at me and trying to correct me, I'm only trying to get people to think. If you don't like, don't comment