Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fascism is only applicable when you need the public’s cooperation. Homelander could literally be a one-man natural disaster. He could cause a hundred 9/11s in a single day, roast the fighter jets we scramble out of the sky, and we’re not even sure if a Nuke or MOAB would kill him.

Homelander doesn’t need anyone or anything, he IS the movement. I’ll be interested to see how he reacts to Stormfront and her obvious army of online incels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
At this point the only question about Stormfront is how obvious they're going to make the MAGA comparisons and how far Amazon wants to go with promoting it this season

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can also only promote the ideology so far because at its core this show is about a terrorist insurgency attacking the corporate oligarchy being used to bolster fascism.

Billy’s wife is a metaphor for the environment, and furthermore

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Homelander doesn't really give a poo poo about power in the political sense, though. He doesn't particularly care about controlling what other people do or don't do, as long as he gets to do whatever he wants on a personal level.

Yeah at the fundamental level he's pretty much driven by selfish and narcissistic goals.

Antony Starr was incredible in the role.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
We can't say it enough. Every little twitch, fake smile, change in body language was perfect. Starr was far and away the best thing about the show, and I'm saying that as a guy who lurrrvvvess Karl Urban.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone who watched Banshee knew he was gonna be great but nobody could have expect this. He just loving slayed every scene he was in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He reminded me a lot of Fassbender, in a good way

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The eternal little barely-controlled half-sneer in scenes where he's not wearing his public face is just :discourse:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rhyno posted:

Anyone who watched Banshee knew he was gonna be great but nobody could have expect this. He just loving slayed every scene he was in.

Yeah, absolutely this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having been on the Starr train for years, if he doesn't blow the hell up after this I will be shocked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
can't wait for the clickbait articles asking if the character literally named Stormfront might be a Nazi :newlol:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

precision posted:

can't wait for the clickbait articles asking if the character literally named Stormfront might be a Nazi :newlol:

Well, does she have weather powers?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, does she have weather powers?

She does :v: (:thejoke:)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

precision posted:

It is a never ending mystery to me why Apple stores here in the uk are called Stormfront. Surely they knew? Perhaps they are happy with the association.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Collateral posted:

It is a never ending mystery to me why Apple stores here in the uk are called Stormfront. Surely they knew? Perhaps they are happy with the association.

Don’t other countries typically care less about what Twitter and bloggers think and say than the US does?

Like, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the Earth’s population is probably not online enough to understand that Stormfront even has a racist connotation.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Collateral posted:

Maybe they (somehow) accidentally typed an "m" instead of an "e" and thought it would work as a twee misspelling :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

Don’t other countries typically care less about what Twitter and bloggers think and say than the US does?

Like, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the Earth’s population is probably not online enough to understand that Stormfront even has a racist connotation.

Stormfront (the Nazi one) predates Twitter and blogs :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Stormfront began as an online bulletin board system in the early 1990s before being established as a website in 1996 by former Ku Klux Klan leader and white supremacist Don Black. It received national attention in the United States in 2000 after being featured as the subject of a documentary, Hate.com. Stormfront has been the subject of controversy after being removed from French, German, and Italian Google indexes, for targeting an online Fox News poll on racial segregation, and for having political candidates as members. Its prominence has grown since the 1990s, attracting attention from watchdog organizations that oppose racism and antisemitism."

I mean it's pretty well known

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I remember "Stormfront" being used as a general term in the late 90s/early 00s in the way "alt-right" or "white nationalist" is now.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Collateral posted:

Apple stores in the UK are called Apple Stores. Stormfront must be some reseller

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Apple stores in the UK are called Apple Stores. Stormfront must be some reseller

It's a licensed reseller, yeah. They can do repairs on Apple warrenties and such. It was the closest we had to a real Apple Store down in Cornwall.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Anyone remember this show? Its like Watchmen except, fun to watch.

Some news -- https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/04/29/exclusive-the-boys-lands-early-season-3-renewal-at-amazon-season-2-episode-titles-revealed/

- Season 2 did finish filming, won't be delayed and should be out in a couple months
- Season 2 episode titles revealed -- they're super vague as expected but still, some people like to go in fresh!!
- Season 3 has been approved already

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

Some news -- https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/04/29/exclusive-the-boys-lands-early-season-3-renewal-at-amazon-season-2-episode-titles-revealed/

- Season 2 did finish filming, won't be delayed and should be out in a couple months
- Season 2 episode titles revealed -- they're super vague as expected but still, some people like to go in fresh!!

Amazing! Glad it was in the can before this poo poo broke out.

A few of my other shows had to stop fliming but I can't wait for this to come back.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Nice! I was just wondering if they had this season finished before the outbreak.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Supreme Allah posted:

Some of those titles are potentially quite revealing. No spoilers, but expect S2E7 to be Butcher's origin story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think we already had that in season 1. Can't imagine them going into more detail on it. They covered pretty much everything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
:colbert: I had fun watching Watchmen

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
E: ^^^^^ also this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think we already had that in season 1. Can't imagine them going into more detail on it. They covered pretty much everything.

In the comics at least there is a flashback to Butcher's youth/formative years. I haven't looked at the titles cause I like to go in fresh (even if I read the comic, this is probably going to be quite different in structure), but I presume the title for s2e7 to be a series of nouns.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
"The Bloody Doors Off"

A quote from The Italian Job, so a heist, with explosives or an explosive supe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

:colbert: I had fun watching Watchmen

The only good thing about it was the Lube man chase scene.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

He reminded me a lot of Fassbender, in a good way

He physically looks a lot like Fassbender, sure. They can both do menacing evil and subtle weakness quite well. Starr has an incredible talent for portraying barely-restrained malicious glee, something which I can't recall Fassbender ever doing but that's more because none of his roles have been as Chaotically Evil as Starr's Homelander.

IranianLawyer
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like this show, I think it's a good critique of the dual lives that those with power and influence live and the indifference that they're afforded with their wealth (or super power).

The boys themselves are very laconic; sort of a lemonade out of lemons group. I also thought that the dynamic of super heroes having to deal with lovely parents rings particularly true to Hollywood, who love to indulge themselves on their own self import.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Collateral posted:

"The Bloody Doors Off"

A quote from The Italian Job, so a heist, with explosives or an explosive supe.

its one of the chapter titles from the comic, as are most of the episode titles.

Spoiler from the comic

It centres around a bioweapon that causes supes to explode violently

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 1, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

massive spider posted:

its one of the chapter titles from the comic, as are most of the episode titles.

They seem to be out of order from their comics appearances too, though obviously that doesn't really mean anything as they could just be using the names.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Clowner posted:

He physically looks a lot like Fassbender, sure. They can both do menacing evil and subtle weakness quite well. Starr has an incredible talent for portraying barely-restrained malicious glee, something which I can't recall Fassbender ever doing but that's more because none of his roles have been as Chaotically Evil as Starr's Homelander.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:emptyquote:

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

massive spider posted:

It centres around a bioweapon that causes supes to explode violently
If so, do you think we'll see Love Sausage? AFAICR, Vas was Billys Russian contact when the Boys went to Moscow to investigate exploding supes.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Swollen Member posted:

If so, do you think we'll see Love Sausage? AFAICR, Vas was Billys Russian contact when the Boys went to Moscow to investigate exploding supes.
On the one hand I think he's a bit too juvenile for this show, on the other hand they managed to make an rear end bomb into a serious threat.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SardonicTyrant posted:

On the one hand I think he's a bit too juvenile for this show, on the other hand they managed to make an rear end bomb into a serious threat.

There was also using the baby as a laser gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

There was also using the baby as a laser gun

my wife has never read a Garth Ennis comic and did not understand why I was so visibly hyped when a fight started in the laser baby's nursery